Kevin B Moses

Why did the grizzlies ONLY win 43 games last year?

UofMark    0

I've wondered that myself. The last game before the All Star Break the Grizz were hosting a weak New Orleans team. Win this game and they'd been 12 over .500, the highest all season. Then they'd been positioned for a good final run. But alas, they played one of their most uninspired games of the season, losing to a roster depleted Pelican squad. They looked so disinterested that game. Unfortunately they carried that disinterest post all star break where in the last 25 games Grizz played 6 under ball to finish with their 43-39 record. That game was kind of the swing point of the season. They never could get out of the funk. Maybe they were looking forward to the all star break? (chancun?), I just don't know. I do know our squad last year just didn't have the inner strength to carry all throughout a 82 game schedule. The coaches tried. I tend to blame the players more on last year's finish. They were collectively soft. Hopefully this year will be different.

57 minutes ago, UofMark said:

I've wondered that myself. The last game before the All Star Break the Grizz were hosting a weak New Orleans team. Win this game and they'd been 12 over .500, the highest all season. Then they'd been positioned for a good final run. But alas, they played one of their most uninspired games of the season, losing to a roster depleted Pelican squad. They looked so disinterested that game. Unfortunately they carried that disinterest post all star break where in the last 25 games Grizz played 6 under ball to finish with their 43-39 record. That game was kind of the swing point of the season. They never could get out of the funk. Maybe they were looking forward to the all star break? (chancun?), I just don't know. I do know our squad last year just didn't have the inner strength to carry all throughout a 82 game schedule. The coaches tried. I tend to blame the players more on last year's finish. They were collectively soft. Hopefully this year will be different.

I agree that the Pels game was the turning point of the season.  Why?  I couldn't tell you.

3 hours ago, UofMark said:

these reason is simple to me...we were playing  two mid-30 and 40yr old players heavy mins...importing a new coach and system...while giving rookie valuable playing time...trying to implant a hobbled parsons...trying to please a disgruntle zbo (he got ****** when fizzs didn't play him in late game situations)...also for some reason ppl seem to forget that we had a legit chance of being a fourth seed before the team fell in a funk.

54 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

these reason is simple to me...we were playing  two mid-30 and 40yr old players heavy mins...importing a new coach and system...while giving rookie valuable playing time...trying to implant a hobbled parsons...trying to please a disgruntle zbo (he got ****** when fizzs didn't play him in late game situations)...also for some reason ppl seem to forget that we had a legit chance of being a fourth seed before the team fell in a funk.

At one point the grizzlies were winning every late game battle, in the final minute of the game. So it does seem like we lost some chemistry, or we got full of ourselves that we could just come back on teams.

cdp    0

You would think that forcin the issue with a hobbled Parsons would've had a negative effect on the record. But incredibly we had a better record when he played, 19-15 to be exact.

We might just have a better record this year yet if he stays healthy, big if that is.

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Here's a question for you all. But what was the primary reason the grizzlies were closer to a .500 team than a 50 win team.

KBM, I am with you.  Last year's team should have won over 50 games.  Just think of all the games they practically sleptwalked through. I remember when they came back from the All Star break and they were going to make a push to get the 4th seed. Utah was in 4th at the time.  And they proceeded to lose something like 5 in a row including a home game to BKN by 20+ pts or so. 

Last year's team should have had a much better record and should NOT have had to face SAS in the first round.  Just think if they could have faced SAS in say the 2nd round after Parker got injured, we would have had that much more of a chance.  The final month or month and a half of the season was peppered with losses to teams they had no business losing to.  

This is why I think they can be better this season but Marc will have to remain engaged and motivated the whole season.  Last year, he got mad at Fizdale (for forcing Parsons in the lineup when it was obvious to everybody Chandler could not play) and got moody and did not play with the passion and grit and grind that he did early in the season when he was hitting 3s and doing the Conor McGregor walk.  He was happy then.  He became detached and disengaged and I think it effected the whole team.  

A lot of MEM's success this season will be dependent on Fizdale keeping Marc engaged and passionate. Lionel had to make him mad to do it. Joerger?  Not sure what he did. Fizdale will need to know how to push the right buttons, but the team can win way way more than the 37-38 games they are predicted to win this year.  Im not saying they will win the West, but they can be much better than a 37-38 win team

9 hours ago, UofMark said:

I agree in that the team looked uninspired.  They looked to me like they knew they could make the playoffs at either the 7th or 8th seed and they seemed okay with it.  Its like they didnt want to expend anymore energy than just enough to squeak into the post season.  They had a shot to go after Utah and get the 4th seed.  The schedule was set up for them to make a big push and they lost like 5 games in a row and it was inexplicable.  I hate to use the phrase "they didnt care." but they gave the impression that they were Memphis and they would flip a switch when they were ready and would get in the playoffs instead of driving themselves hard and trying to win every game no matter who they were playing, they seemed to take games off and just go out there go through the motions. I remember thinking that maybe Fizdale had lost the team because it appeared that they just tuned him out.  He could yell and rant and rave and it did no good.

You had Zbo thinking he should start.  I know he said all the right things to the media.  I get that, but you know he felt like he should start.  Marc was ticked off about Parsons being forced down their throats when he could not play.   That left Mike to try to do it all and he couldnt.  But make no mistake, that team won just a couple more games than the team the previous year that set a record for most players used in an NBA season because of all the injuries.   You know the talent was there, but the motivation simply was not and that is why they won only 43 games. 

grizzgolf    0
17 hours ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

I agree in that the team looked uninspired.  They looked to me like they knew they could make the playoffs at either the 7th or 8th seed and they seemed okay with it.  Its like they didnt want to expend anymore energy than just enough to squeak into the post season.  They had a shot to go after Utah and get the 4th seed.  The schedule was set up for them to make a big push and they lost like 5 games in a row and it was inexplicable.  I hate to use the phrase "they didnt care." but they gave the impression that they were Memphis and they would flip a switch when they were ready and would get in the playoffs instead of driving themselves hard and trying to win every game no matter who they were playing, they seemed to take games off and just go out there go through the motions. I remember thinking that maybe Fizdale had lost the team because it appeared that they just tuned him out.  He could yell and rant and rave and it did no good.

You had Zbo thinking he should start.  I know he said all the right things to the media.  I get that, but you know he felt like he should start.  Marc was ticked off about Parsons being forced down their throats when he could not play.   That left Mike to try to do it all and he couldnt.  But make no mistake, that team won just a couple more games than the team the previous year that set a record for most players used in an NBA season because of all the injuries.   You know the talent was there, but the motivation simply was not and that is why they won only 43 games. 

I saw no motivation 

Michael D    0

Chandler Parsons was/is a HUGE part of this team's potential.  He was injured all year.  When he played he sucked because he still wasn't ready and may never be full strength again.

Didn't Conley break his back in December?  We could and should have won 50.  Parsons was a disaster last year.  We absolutely need him to come back and prove all the naysayers wrong or this team will be extremely hamstrung.

I'm thinking since the FO let Vince Carter and Zbo go without even offering the Vet Min that they know that Parsons is ready to go this season.  But with a full strength Parsons the Grizzlies are an entirely different beast that we've never witnessed before.

chipc3    0

The problem with this logic is the team won at a higher percentage when Conley was out than when he played. How do you see the team winning 7 more games with a healthy Conley?

20 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

The problem with this logic is the team won at a higher percentage when Conley was out than when he played. How do you see the team winning 7 more games with a healthy Conley?

Conley being healthy throughout would have been less of a disruption in-season. Those 11 games or so that Conley was out, the grizzlies survived, they didn't thrive.

So yes, a healthy conley would have made a huge difference, regardless of how the grizzlies played without him.