Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Marc Gasol highlighs from Venezuela games 2017

8 hours ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

I think you may be on to something.  At first glance of the highlights, it appears that Venezuela is not a big fan of playing defense and Marc is so much bigger than who he was going against.   He still looked good and engaged and strong.  He was playing for his country with his brother, so he wasnt going to fade into the woodwork like he does at times when he plays for the Grizzlies and he is being defended by a long, tall, athletic big who can out jump him and is stronger than he is.  

The key to Marc being successful, to me, is simply is he engaged?  Is he motivated to give his all?  Or does he go AWOL and fade into the woodwork like he does sometimes and like he did in the 4th quarter of the elimination game against SAS?  

He looks like a juggernaut against Venezuela.  Can he look like a juggernaut against the Spurs or Rockets or Warriors? He has the talent.  He is as smart of a basketball player as their is most likely in the NBA, but sometimes he just seems detached and moody.   When he gets like that, he is not effective at all.  That is why Lionel used to goad him, poke at him, talk ugly to him to get him motivated to show his talent. Lionel would purposefully make him mad just to get him angry enough to be aggressive.  So its all about how engaged he is when talking about how great Marc can be. 

Beg LH!

After four games of competition Marc is averaging 9.3/7.3/2 on 21.6 MPG. I keep seeing him playing great defense (he leads the tournament in blocks) against a variety of players. He's not doing so great in offense in part because he's not a focal point for Spain, but also because his shooting percentages aren't too good (in good part because he gets swarmed as soon as he gets the ball). He looks very quick, often leading the fast breaks.

Today's game was a tough match against Croatia having to deal with Bender and Saric, but interestingly the Croatians put a small guy on him in the low post a couple times, like NBA small ball teams sometimes do. Not enough of a sample to make any judgement (the few plays were inconsequential) but I'll be paying attention in case more teams use this tactic.

There are a couple of Marc highlights here:

On non Grizzlies news, Dario Saric looked unstoppable at times, creating mismatches all over the court until the last quarter when Spain put Juancho Hernangomez of all people on him (Saric also looked tired, having played 37 minutes). I think Saric is going to have a great sophomore season.

Oh, and Ricky Rubio seems to have developed a set shot. He still struggles to shoot in movement or with opposition, but when left open he's drilling his shots (over 50% from three on 3.5 attempts per game). I mean, he's not going to become an offensive powerhouse overnight, but if defenses can no longer cheat on him it'll be a whole new dimension in his game.

gasol-fiba-dunk.jpg?itok=NzgXM3iI

Be honest. At first look, you didn't know who was in the photo.

3 hours ago, tangogriz said:

gasol-fiba-dunk.jpg?itok=NzgXM3iI

Be honest. At first look, you didn't know who was in the photo.

Legit looks like photoshop.  Its amazing what correct diet and exercise can do for a person. 

2 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

so Rubio hittin spot up threes now

We'll see how that translates to the NBA 3pt line but even if he hits 35% consistently it should be enough to keep defenses honest.

4 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

oh didn't know their 3pt line was shorter

A little more than a foot at the top of the key. The same at the corners.

3 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

lol that's why Rubio looked like a sharpshooter in those highlights.

Hehehehe, beware of highlights. But seriously, it's just he's acquired a decent shooting motion from a standing position and nobody tries to defend him. If that happens in the NBA I don't think an extra foot is going to affect him that much. Most likely, if he manages to hit open shots at a decent clip (he's averaging 4 attempts per game) teams will pick up on it, defend him and his percentages will go down. Which is miles better than being left open because he can't hit the broadside of a barn, but he's not going to shoot 50% (or 40%) from three in the NBA.

To put things in context, if a decent to good shooter like Mike Conley had as much time to plant his feet behind the line and shoot in rhythm with no defender in sight, once and again, I'm convinced he'd easily hit upwards of 70%.

Going back to Marc, it's clear that we can't make any predictions from his offensive performance since his role in the Spanish NT is so different, but he has been solid defensively, averaging 5.8 defensive boards on 22 minutes per game, which is pretty good for FIBA (and 1 offensive board, which is... so Marc) and tied for 2nd in blocks per game for the whole tournament (only Porzingis is better) with 1.7.

Funny enough his three point shooting has gone back to 2016: so far 1 of 6 for the tournament, most last second heaves.

So much for Marc not being good offensively. Today he had a line of 28/10/4 (plus 1 steal and 2 blocks) in 30 minutes against Germany and carried the team into the semifinals. 

Not coincidentally, most of his production (which included 4 of 6 from 3 and 15 straight points in the 3rd) took place when Pau was not on the court. The Spanish announcers even said at some point "this is how Marc plays in Memphis" or something along those lines.

3 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

So much for Marc not being good offensively. Today he had a line of 28/10/4 (plus 1 steal and 2 blocks) in 30 minutes against Germany and carried the team into the semifinals. 

Not coincidentally, most of his production (which included 4 of 6 from 3 and 15 straight points in the 3rd) took place when Pau was not on the court. The Spanish announcers even said at some point "this is how Marc plays in Memphis" or something along those lines.

I love marc and think he is so underrated. 

Marc is so underrated. I don't know a true center id rather have on our team. He plays the right way and we just have to keep him inside the game and not be too timid. I love his IQ for the game and that helps us also. I don't want him taking games off so to speak or not take enough shots when it's his time. 

His performance was photoshopped.

Seriously, he was dominant in the third. Looked really confident. I was almost expecting the billionaire strut.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:34 PM, Elillo said:

His performance was photoshopped.

Agreed. Or they let him do it on purpose. I don't know something's fishy

17 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Agreed. Or they let him do it on purpose. I don't know something's fishy

If you squint really hard you'll notice he's actually playing in front of a green screen.

13 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Wow... Spain just got throttled by twenty points by Slovenia.   Shocking!

Not really when you take everything that went into the game into account. The end score might be a bit shocking but the victory was absolutely deserved by Slovenia (which is still unbeaten in the tournament).

First, Spain's perimeter was seriously depleted by injuries (and in JCN's case, old age), and while they could get by lesser teams simply by feeding Pau, Marc and the Hernangomez brothers (Hernangomezes? HG's?), the Slovenes played great defense all game, cutting off Spain's interior passing, and since the shots weren't going in from outside either Spain was forced to rely on giving the ball to the Gasols in the perimeter and let them play, which they did, but was far from enough to counter Slovenia's barrage of three pointers.

Then, Slovenia is a legit great squad. Aside from Dragic (who hit some circus shots including a 3+1 banking the ball against the board), there's Doncic who is going to be a top 3 pick next draft (at least I get to see him one more season playing for Real Madrid), Anthony Randolph, who's improved a lot since he left the NBA, and a host of excellent role players.

And finally, the Slovenian coach had a much better performance in this game than the Spanish one, not just in the way he studied and exploited Spain's defensive weaknesses, but also managing Dragic and Doncic minutes so they were always fresh and ready to stifle any attempt of a Spanish run.

The last one was a bit unexpected, but the first two were a serious concern coming to this game. Oh well, there's still a chance for bronze.

Marc was actually the best player in Spain, with a line of 12/10/4, but it didn't matter much in the end.