Sign in to follow this  
Blackwatch

Fizz goes off !!!

Blackwatch    0

In this Article from the CA, Calkins breaks down Fizzdale's interview with Wendy Thomas concerning the confederate monuments in Memphis and the violence in Charlottesville, VA, during the Nazi Rally. He's pretty clear that as a head coach of the city's only pro sports team, he considers himself a  civic leader. He also notes that he cannot see how a city where the country's greatest civil rights leader was killed, has monuments to confederate soldiers and a founder of the KKK. I may not totally agree with the direction he's trying to take the team, but much respect for being an outspoken advocate for justice, peace, and dignity for all.  

chipc3    0

While I agree with Fizdale's sentiment. I don't believe he should be entering this arena of political discussion any more than Pops should have in San Antonio. Pops at least has a long standing record of success at what he does in his job. Fizdale's a basketball coach not a civic leader. Leave the politics to the politicians and focus on winning basketball games. 

Having said that I do agree with his sentiment and I hope we can come to some agreement that removes offensive memorabilia and replaces it with memorials that unite us together rather than divide our communities. 

srmjr23    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

While I agree with Fizdale's sentiment. I don't believe he should be entering this arena of political discussion any more than Pops should have in San Antonio. Pops at least has a long standing record of success at what he does in his job. Fizdale's a basketball coach not a civic leader. Leave the politics to the politicians and focus on winning basketball games. 

Having said that I do agree with his sentiment and I hope we can come to some agreement that removes offensive memorabilia and replaces it with memorials that unite us together rather than divide our communities. 

Ahem

BnaBreaker    0

This issue isn't 'just politics' to the many people who are hurt by the existence of these monuments to prejudice and hate.  

Blackwatch    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

People can walk and chew gum at the same time. It is impossible to be a black person in this country and just focus on you chosen profession. Racism and white supremacy characterize every aspect of our lives, whether we recognize it or not. Asking Fizz to "Leave the politics to the politicians" concerning this issue is like asking only chefs to cook or maids to clean. We all need to eat and clean, not just chefs and maids. I wish we had the luxury of not having to deal with these things, but we don't.

srmjr23    0

Leaving politics to the politicians is the most out of touch statement I've seen on these boards yet. And that's saying something.

Dwash    0
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This is more than politics.

GF#1    0
3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I agree with others that have said it's way more than just politics operating here. Also, I would give your thought some merit if the team were in the middle of a playoff series and it could potentially cause a distraction. It's August. His speaking out and voicing his opinions/concerns right now don't effect this team even in the slightest.

Allen    0

Leaving politics to politicians is the worse possible thing the American people can do 

Memfizz    0

Leave politics to politicians? No.  But leave it out of sports imo. It's annoying and distracts from the game too much. 

What about ppl who support the opposing views of most coaches? (Not in this instance, but conservatives in general).  I'm not one of them, but it'd be annoying to want to watch your team and have political speeches all the time.

I might have changed my position on this, because while I don't think fizz should be sticking his nose in it, I also didn't know that some guy put Nathan Bedford Forrest statute up in 2013.

It'd be different if it was a 100 year old statue. But clearly the owner of that statue has a statement he is trying to make, which I don't appreciate.

chipc3    0
35 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I might have changed my position on this, because while I don't think fizz should be sticking his nose in it, I also didn't know that some guy put Nathan Bedford Forrest statute up in 2013.

It'd be different if it was a 100 year old statue. But clearly the owner of that statue has a statement he is trying to make, which I don't appreciate.

I agree. Any statue put up to Confederates in the last 100 years can be moved. However, instead of just taking them down why not raise private funds to put up something non-offensive? Most, if not all, of the current statues were paid for by private funds after all. Surely we can raise funds to put something on-offensive up instead.

Dwash    0
1 hour ago, Memfizz said:

Leave politics to politicians? No.  But leave it out of sports imo. It's annoying and distracts from the game too much. 

What about ppl who support the opposing views of most coaches? (Not in this instance, but conservatives in general).  I'm not one of them, but it'd be annoying to want to watch your team and have political speeches all the time.

Black athletes and entertainers are pressred to be involved in politics (civil rights) because they are the only blacks that have "made it." Therefore, they are among the few black voices that turn any heads. In general, they are idolized while the rest of their race is seen as the buttcrack of society. So they kinda have to speak.

Memfizz    0

But that doesn't mean they are always right..just because they can be heard, they aren't always the best voices.  I don't mean they can't speak up. They're people too just like us. But when they stop like a post game interview to say some **** or do stuff like Collin Kappernick is doing, it gets annoying. Not everyone likes to involve themselves with politics, a lot of the time people watch sports to escape that kind of ****.

33 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

But that doesn't mean they are always right..just because they can be heard, they aren't always the best voices.  I don't mean they can't speak up. They're people too just like us. But when they stop like a post game interview to say some **** or do stuff like Collin Kappernick is doing, it gets annoying. Not everyone likes to involve themselves with politics, a lot of the time people watch sports to escape that kind of ****.

Are you a 49ers fan or something? Don't watch them. Simple solution.

I have no problem with Fizz's words. It's the off-season, it's not like he gave an in game interview or something.

Dwash    0
36 minutes ago, Memfizz said:

But that speaks to the problem. For those that dont care or are impacted, race issues are seen as a mere nuisance. Just brushing them off as "politics" is insulting when its beyond a few law changes. Its a systematic oppression that has torn apart a community. How can you expect every athlete to turn a blind eye to the fact that you love me cause I can play but I know I would likely just be a part of the system if I couldnt? Sorry they feel that they have to interrupt your fun and put it on front street.

roundtown    0

I liked what Fizz had to say.  Leaders lead.  Besides, it's not like he took off a month from thinking about winning a championship to research and write a dissertation.  He gave an interview and answered questions from the heart.  It's not like he kicked off a post-game press conference with a political monologue.  

I get people's appreciation of the South's history--warts and all.  I appreciate it too.  I just don't get why folks would be outraged about taking down a monument in a public park that glorifies a Klan member.  Seems reasonable to say, "You know what, history is important, but this offends, threatens, demeans, some of my fellow Memphians.  I don't feel good about that.  It's not worth it."  

For Coach Fizz to point that out doesn't seem like a political statement to me.  Sounds like more of a pro-Memphis, "we've evolved--here's an opportunity to put that on display" statement.  Made me proud of our Coach.  Proud to be a Grizz fan and a native Memphian.

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Are you a 49ers fan or something? Don't watch them. Simple solution.

I have no problem with Fizz's words. It's the off-season, it's not like he gave an in game interview or something.

Fizz has a prominent role in a organization. Right or wrong what he says affects the entire organization. Doesn't matter if it is the off-season, in a game, etc. The views he reflects directly affect the team regardless.

In my opinion, what he said and the stance he took is 10 times worse than Hollins off-the-cuff remark about Champagne dreams on a beer budget, but that's just me.

2 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Fizz has a prominent role in a organization. Right or wrong what he says affects the entire organization. Doesn't matter if it is the off-season, in a game, etc. The views he reflects directly affect the team regardless.

In my opinion, what he said and the stance he took is 10 times worse than Hollins off-the-cuff remark about Champagne dreams on a beer budget, but that's just me.

I bet if asked the organization would back him up

Thomas    0
37 minutes ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Judging by the overall tone in this thread, I'm gonna say at least 80% of this board is white.

It's closer to half and half.

9 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Well, the "champagne dreams on a beer budget" comment was true. I agree with Fizz's comments that we need to take down statues honoring the Confederacy. He mentions that Dr. King was killed in Memphis, that's a fact. He mentions that the Civil Rights Museum is in Memphis, that's a fact. It's his opinion that it's a disgrace to have statues honoring a failed, rogue splinter nation in Memphis and I agree with him. The Confederacy was a failed, rogue, splinter nation that took up arms against the U.S.A and spilled the blood of U.S. citizens, over 625,000 people were killed as a result of that war. Why in the world should we honor a faction like that? I'm fine with putting all of that in a museum but to honor them with statues in public parks? That's ridiculous. They should be taken down, put them in a museum somewhere. How many countries honor people from the side that lost in a civil war? it makes no sense. 

But these achievements came at the cost of 625,000 lives--nearly as many American soldiers as died in all the other wars in which this country has fought combined. The American Civil War was the largest and most destructive conflict in the Western world between the end of the Napoleonic Wars in 1815 and the onset of World War I in 1914.

This is what people want to honor and/or defend and/or get upset with someone who says we shouldn't honor these people? You have a problem with someone saying, "take down statues" that honor the people who caused this calamity in our nation? We are all people and this affects all of our lives. It doesn't matter if you are a street sweeper or a physician or an NBA head coach or a taxi driver. You don't just live your profession 100% of your life. They are humans and as a human, Fizz is asking the people of the city of Memphis to do the decent, rightful thing. Put them in a museum somewhere, I don't care if private money put them up. They should have never been put up in the first place. oh and let's not forget that while some of these statues were erected during Reconstruction, a large number of these statues just happened to be erected during the time of the Civil Rights movement in this country and the Confederate battle flag which lay dormant for nearly 100 years was coincidentally resurrected and brought back during the Civil Rights movement as well. I don't think those were coincidences.