oldmanGrizz

What Does Marc Mean?

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Oh shut up Marc. Players who go scoreless in the 4th quarter of elimination games don't have the right to make these kinds of statements. The Grizzlies are the ones that should be reevaluating you

Thank you. He's so stubborn and in his own world it's ridiculous. He thinks he's the smartest person on the court, off the court, coaching decisions, player personnel etc etc. He's always second guessing every coach, every player, ever play, he has to be the most frustrating person to play with or coach

I'm fine with trading him. He'll probably never get what he wants with the Grizz and the Grizz are in decline. Trade him while you can and try to get at least 1 first round pick, a couple of serviceable starters and tons of cap relief. Knowing Wallace, he'll probably try to trade him for Chandler Parsons....

Wallace to Hollinger: "Hey, what do you think about having Chandler Parsons on the team. I know he's been injured the past couple of seasons but boy he could stretch out the floor and play some point forward for us. I think Marc and 5 first round draft picks would be enough to get him. The salaries match"

Hollinger: "Uhhh, Chris, we gave him a 4 year, $96 million contract in the 2016 off-season"

Wallace: "Really? well doggy, knock me over with a feather, who knew he plays for the Grizz? Oh well, never hurts to ask. Bye golly. You know I keep a list of injured players in my Rolodex that we can easily attain. Guess I need to update it. "

The interview was in a Catalan speaking radio station so I couldn't get the full context, but the few transcribed sentences just say that he's committed to the franchise but that might change if there isn't growth. Of course you can try to read between the lines and assume he's asking or open for a trade, but there's nothing in Marc's words implying that.

To be honest, given the audience (a local station) I don't think he's trying to send a coded message to Wallace.

I really don't have a problem with Marc's offensive game.  Buuuut.....dude is over 7 feet tall and SHOULD be a better rebounder.  No excuses.

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

The interview was in a Catalan speaking radio station so I couldn't get the full context, but the few transcribed sentences just say that he's committed to the franchise but that might change if there isn't growth. Of course you can try to read between the lines and assume he's asking or open for a trade, but there's nothing in Marc's words implying that.

To be honest, given the audience (a local station) I don't think he's trying to send a coded message to Wallace.

Do you have family in Barcelona? Prayers for everyone affected over there. 

this is very good news.

why in the world would we want a guy that says...

hey, i play for the griz. roll the ball out and we will see.

we want a guy that is not satisfied with failure. point blank.

slim.

1 hour ago, Gradey said:

I really don't have a problem with Marc's offensive game.  Buuuut.....dude is over 7 feet tall and SHOULD be a better rebounder.  No excuses.

without a doubt, the absolute weakest part of his game.

he should average 10 a game.

slim. 

2 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Do you have family in Barcelona? Prayers for everyone affected over there. 

I do, they're all ok. Thanks a lot.

17 hours ago, Memfizz said:

Thank you. He's so stubborn and in his own world it's ridiculous. He thinks he's the smartest person on the court, off the court, coaching decisions, player personnel etc etc. He's always second guessing every coach, every player, ever play, he has to be the most frustrating person to play with or coach

So, we can call him the Spanish Lebron then? 

I didn't read that statement as him threatening to leave or demand a trade. I viewed it as him speaking from the "we" standpoint of the organization's construction of the team. Everyone is quick to be negative and assume the worst. What if he meant revisit who was built around him and Mike?

And on the other conversation that is going on in this thread. Things are different now at the start of this season vs what everyone's roles were at the start of last season. Last season started out by force feeding Marc to be the main guy but that isn't his personality. Throughout last season, Mike blossomed into an NBA star. This is his team now. He's the franchise player and number 1 option.

our biggest problem, we donot have any high draft pick

Home boy better just go out there and earn his 22 mill and not pout around. If it gets to the point where he wants to be traded, I hope he is mature enough to keep it in house. I hate comments like this.

17 hours ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I didn't read that statement as him threatening to leave or demand a trade. I viewed it as him speaking from the "we" standpoint of the organization's construction of the team. Everyone is quick to be negative and assume the worst. What if he meant revisit who was built around him and Mike?

And on the other conversation that is going on in this thread. Things are different now at the start of this season vs what everyone's roles were at the start of last season. Last season started out by force feeding Marc to be the main guy but that isn't his personality. Throughout last season, Mike blossomed into an NBA star. This is his team now. He's the franchise player and number 1 option.

This.  There is nothing he could have said that would make everyone happy.

"I love this team, and I want to be in Memphis for life" - Marc getting complacent.  How can he love this team when they can't beat the Warriors?  Marc hates winning.

"We have a lot of areas to improve in" - Marc thinks this team is bad, and probably wants to get traded. Who wants a player that doesn't believe in his team? He's the problem.

No one said that he wants a trade right now. But to say stuff like "we have to keep growing and if not we have to revisit things clearly means he has doubt about whether or not they are going to get better. And most players his age, especially those who have had AllStar success, expect their team to get better, not worse. Its really that simple.

On 8/17/2017 at 8:17 AM, chipc3 said:

All it means is Marc plans to remain in Memphis,  is expecting the team to improve and if they don't start improving he'll rethink his commitment. 

exactly and I think Marc is saying he is NOT staying around for tanking/rebuild situation and I would not blame him.  He did not say anything bad or anti Memphis.  He actually, in my eyes, recommitted himself to Memphis with the caveat that he wants to keep trying to grow and get batter, not take a year or two step back and blow things up and rebuild.  If MEM wants to do that, then he is saying trade me the heck out of here.  

On 8/17/2017 at 8:01 PM, Memfizz said:

I think if you listen to Marc when he has to face the media after playoff games,  you will find that he IS the smartest person on the court basketball wise.  His basketball IQ seems off the charts to me.  But its his attitude when things arent right or the going gets tough that frustrates me so.  He probably know as much about basketball as any of the 3 pro coaches he has had in his career, but its just basketball smarts.  That is not coaching.  Doesnt mean he would be a better coach.   Marc is moody and becomes detached when things arent being done the way he thinks they ought to be done--i.e. starting Chandler Parsons when it was clear that the guy flat out could hardly move.  Stupid things like that irk Marc and he shuts down, but that does not take away from his basketball IQ.  That just says something about his personality. 

Lionel used to have to push his buttons and darned near call him a name or embarrass him to make him mad enough to get aggressive and play to his potential.   I bet you are right--he might be frustrating to play with, but make no mistake, he knows where everyone should be and how the team should play as well or better than the coaches.  

On 8/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, Blackwatch said:

Its his game period. Pre season, regular season, playoffs; his game negates his size. No one needs a 7'2" 260lb jump shooter. That's what he wants to do. He's not athletic enough to be that, so his best bet it to take advantage of his size, develop a more potent low post game, and learn to rebound. But, he prefers to hang out on the 3 pt line and launch 3's. More athletic forwards and guards eat him up out there in the playoffs, hence his "passive" play.  

I think Fizdale flat out TOLD him to go out to the 3 pt line and shoot.  Marc has always wanted to run things from the elbow and late in games he got big rebounds in the past.  Last year was Fiz trying to space the floor and that took Marc further out, but I dont think its cause Marc simply wanted to hang out behind the line.