oldmanGrizz

What Does Marc Mean?

Dwash    0

Yeah it means that even he sees it is failing apart. 

Boston has Brooklyn and the Lakers pick. I will take one plus our own.

chipc3    0

All it means is Marc plans to remain in Memphis,  is expecting the team to improve and if they don't start improving he'll rethink his commitment. 

GF#1    0
4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

All it means is Marc plans to remain in Memphis,  is expecting the team to improve and if they don't start improving he'll rethink his commitment. 

Agree with all except the "expecting" part. I didn't read it that way. IMO, he said the part about "if this is not lined up", because he's skeptical about this group of guys. You wouldn't have heard him say that when the core 4 was in tact.

chipc3    0
6 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Agree with all except the "expecting" part. I didn't read it that way. IMO, he said the part about "if this is not lined up", because he's skeptical about this group of guys. You wouldn't have heard him say that when the core 4 was in tact.

This is how the headline translated for me: Marc Gasol and his future: "Growth must be maintained, if we do not then have to rethink things." It's unclear what he really means but I have to remember that Spanish papers tend to sensationalize headlines far more than US papers do too. I hope my interpretation is correct but I really don't speak Spanish so I don't know what he actually said. 

GF#1    0
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

This is how the headline translated for me: Marc Gasol and his future: "Growth must be maintained, if we do not then have to rethink things." It's unclear what he really means but I have to remember that Spanish papers tend to sensationalize headlines far more than US papers do too. I hope my interpretation is correct but I really don't speak Spanish so I don't know what he actually said. 

Yeah I definitely don't speak Spanish either, but I get the sense that he's skeptical about this group. This is the first time we've heard him come out and say that there's a possibility of rethinking things. But who knows.

Thomas    0
52 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Yeah it means that even he sees it is failing apart. 

Boston has Brooklyn and the Lakers pick. I will take one plus our own.

Plus we'd be able to get a nice package for Conley, and suddenly our bleak future would begin to shine brightly, its only potential eclipse being Chris Wallace.

chipc3    0
6 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Yeah I definitely don't speak Spanish either, but I get the sense that he's skeptical about this group. This is the first time we've heard him come out and say that there's a possibility of rethinking things. But who knows.

"Moody Marc" in other words. Gasol is very emotional and if you catch him at the wrong time you can get a far different answer than you can on a different day. Sensationalized headlines and a moody player make for rumors but I wouldn't be too concerned yet. 

After all, it's not like the team released his brother from a different mother or anything! :o

Dwash    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

He certainly has doubts about the team getting better or he wouldnt be talking about reevaluating at all. You dont even mention a reevaluation in a year or two unless you have some doubt.

GF#1    0
27 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He certainly has doubts about the team getting better or he wouldnt be talking about reevaluating at all. You dont even mention a reevaluation in a year or two unless you have some doubt.

Agreed.

UofMark    0

As we've all seen the past many years, Marc has always been kind of a skeptic, on pretty much everything. This is just another example of 'Marc being Marc'. We all want the franchise to continue growing.

tangogriz    0

So ... Marc wants to win. I'm shocked.

Seriously, looking at the work he's done on his body, he's walking the walk.

GF#1    0
Just now, tangogriz said:

So ... Marc wants to win. I'm shocked.

Seriously, looking at the work he's done on his body, he's walking the walk.

Unfortunately it won't mean a lick until he decides to step up in big playoff games and quit being so passive.

Dwash    0
11 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Unfortunately it won't mean a lick until he decides to step up in big playoff games and quit being so passive.

I still think its his style thats the problem. Defenders get more aggressive in the playoffs and more detailed oriented. The type of shots he has to take when that happens are tough to consistently make.

GF#1    0
Just now, Dwash said:

I still think its his style thats the problem. Defenders get more aggressive in the playoffs and more detailed oriented. The type of shots he has to take when that happens are tough to consistently make.

I'm not buying it. All you need to see is the difference in his aggression level from the 1st game of the Spurs series, through much of the rest of the series.

Blackwatch    0
2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Its his game period. Pre season, regular season, playoffs; his game negates his size. No one needs a 7'2" 260lb jump shooter. That's what he wants to do. He's not athletic enough to be that, so his best bet it to take advantage of his size, develop a more potent low post game, and learn to rebound. But, he prefers to hang out on the 3 pt line and launch 3's. More athletic forwards and guards eat him up out there in the playoffs, hence his "passive" play.  

GF#1    0
Just now, Blackwatch said:

Its his game period. Pre season, regular season, playoffs; his game negates his size. No one needs a 7'2" 260lb jump shooter. That's what he wants to do. He's not athletic enough to be that, so his best bet it to take advantage of his size, develop a more potent low post game, and learn to rebound. But, he prefers to hang out on the 3 pt line and launch 3's. More athletic forwards and guards eat him up out there in the playoffs, hence his "passive" play.  

In Marc's defense, he's running Fiz's offense in regards to the three point attempts.

Still doesn't excuse his lack of aggression in the post/elbow area.

Dwash    0
Just now, Blackwatch said:

Yeah, the jumpers are cool but as a one on one scorer in the playoffs his best attribute is going to have to be his size/strength. The fadeaways and jumpers dont work against smaller guys that move better.

tangogriz    0
11 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

I think it means a lot. I hope he looks to shoot first more often but even if he doesn't, his conditioning will cut down on the coasting that kept him on the court longer. We have needed him on the court, period. Big guys wear out faster. We've done things like playing him at the top to give him a headstart to the defensive end.

Dwash    0
1 hour ago, GF#1 said:

I'm not buying it. All you need to see is the difference in his aggression level from the 1st game of the Spurs series, through much of the rest of the series.

He was making his jumpers in the first half. SA closed down on them a lot better from that point on. Thus the loss of "aggression." 

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Blackwatch said:

Marc is not a jump shooter. He is a set shooter and he was doing exactly what Fizdale wanted from him last season. It wasn't Marc's preference but his coach's demands that moved him out to the 3 point line. 

The passive play refers to his deferring taking the shot not his preference to take them. Marc didn't take a shot in the 4th quarter of game 6 where the Spurs charged back to take the series. 

Memfizz    0
8 hours ago, UofMark said:

As we've all seen the past many years, Marc has always been kind of a skeptic, on pretty much everything. This is just another example of 'Marc being Marc'. We all want the franchise to continue growing.

Exactly. He's one of the most frustrating people there is.  He's always skeptic, even if things are clearly working.  Speaking if growing, when will you grow up and lead?

Allen    0

Oh shut up Marc. Players who go scoreless in the 4th quarter of elimination games don't have the right to make these kinds of statements. The Grizzlies are the ones that should be reevaluating you