Sign in to follow this  
chipc3

Grizzlies Predictions

Will the Grizzlies make the Playoffs for the 2017-18 season   

42 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the Grizzlies will make the playoffs this season?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 10/17/2017 at 09:01 PM

11 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I was wrong on the grizzlies last year because I did not account for Parsons being a max player who did absolutely nothing to help the team, along with the fact that fizz completely changed the style of play and I also didn't realize the lack of depth on the team.

Regardless though, most of you predicted that the spurs would sweep the Grizz and despite all of the problems the grizzlies had, they very nearly got it to a game 7.

I'll admit that I have supreme faith in mike and marc and gng, so yeah I was pretty salty last year. And while the Grizz were barely a .500 win team last year, they were probably a lot better than the record showed, if you look at their playoff performance and their quality wins.

I just wish that the grizzlies would have kept zbo and tony. They were hardly the problem last year, the mistake was giving Parsons that deal.

me too but the only problem with that was that they would have never been happy coming off the bench for a team they felt like they built

14 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Clippers signed Danillo Gallinari who, if healthy, is superior to Chandler Parsons in my eyes. Their front line of Gallinari, Griffin and Jordan is as strong as any in the league. Patrick Beverly is no Chris Paul but he isn't chopped liver either. The Clippers bench has Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and a very interesting prospect in Milos Telodic. They aren't a solid top 4 team heading into the season as they have been in the past but they are strong in most areas. As far as team chemistry, we will have to wait and see what Jerry West and Doc Rivers are able to do with them. 

Portland was one of the best teams in the league last season after they traded for Jusif Nuric. Nuric got hurt prior to the playoffs but it isn't a career threatening type of injury. He should be back giving Portland an inside presence they have desperately needed. They talent up and down the roster and their big 3 of Lillard, McCollum and Nuric are superior to the Grizzlies big 2. 

The Timberwolves lost the most games when leading in the 4th quarter last season. They replaced Zach Levine with Jimmy Butler and added veterans in Jamal Crawford, Jeff Teague and Taj Gibson. Those four veterans combined with Karl Anthony Towns and Andrew Wiggins make for an intriguing lineup. Their coach has been successful in the past and is now in his 2nd season with the TWolves. A 10+ game improvement is not out of the question with the increased talent and veteran experience. 

Denver added Paul Millsap. New Orleans has had a full off-season to blend DeMarcus Cousins and Anthony Davis. Jazz lost Gordon Heyward. That's a big loss and replacing George Hill with Ricky Rubio isn't exactly an upgrade in my opinion either but Gobert is young and improving as is Hill. I fall off should be expected but Utah, like Denver, still has a big home court advantage thanks to the altitude which can't be ignored either. 

The Grizzlies lost three players that contributed 31.2 PPG and that isn't including JaMychal Green who still hasn't signed an extension. If Green returns, how will his emotional state be? The Grizzlies have attempted to replace those points with Tyreke Evans (who's trying to return from 3 knee injuries), Chandler Parsons (who also is trying to recover from 3 knee surgeries), Ben McLemore (who broke his foot this summer and will miss all of training camp plus some of the season) and Mario Chalmers (who hasn't played in the NBA since tearing his Achilles tendon 17 months ago). Is it wrong to assume at least 3-4 games lost from last season isn't out of the question? 

Injuries will play a major factor in how teams actually end the season but that is true for the Grizzlies more than anyone else. 

Then again let's consider the source of this critism. Last season he called me similar things for putting the Grizzlies between 41 and 48 wins. He predicted 58 wins. I'll let the other posters decide for themselves who is ridiculous. 

I like how you made the Gizz situation all doom and gloom but the other teams plans working just perfectly.

GF#1    0
9 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

who did they beat...were the teams garbage or had thrown in the towel for the season... I think its important to look at that

Well why don't you go and look it up?

For the record, beat OKC twice, SA twice, Miami (who finished the season on a roll), Atlanta, Houston, and Utah. And 4 of their losses in that stretch were by a combined 8 points. You're obviously gonna have some push overs in the mix, but I don't care who you play. 23 games is more than a quarter of an entire NBA season, and winning 73% of your games is nothing to sneeze at.

Dwash    0

Here are my predictions

1. Golden Stacked

2. Spurs

3. Thunder

4. Rockets

5. Wolves

6. Blazers

7. Nuggets

8. Grizz/Clips/Jazz (three tough teams to read at this point but all are .500 quality)

11. Pelicans

12. Lakers (Late season push)

13. Mavs

14. Kings

15. Suns

On another board I used to be on a poster organized a spreadsheet and made this a contest based on points. For each team you got more points for being so close. If I can figure out a system...would anyone be interested?

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

SI: Which NBA Teams Could Go From Playoffs to Ping-Pong Balls in 2017-18? Memphis Grizzlies

ESPN's mock draft has Memphis at #11 which means they think the Grizz will miss the playoffs and be in the lottery. 

The si article is probably one of the best assessments from the media I've seen. It is a pretty fair assessment.

I don't think the grizzlies are going to fall out of the playoffs any time soon. But it is not because the front office ain't trying. The grizzlies honestly had a team that could make the playoffs 12 or 13 years in a row, but they aren't following how the spurs did it, which is to always resign your vets, unless they retire. 

The grizzlies are attempting to pivot midcareer of Mike and Marc, which is a mistaken in my opinion. It takes too long to rebuild around vets. It could happen. The good thing is that Mike and Marc are both in their prime, but the grizzlies need a lot of luck, which usually isn't the grizzlies fortay.

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

On another board I used to be on a poster organized a spreadsheet and made this a contest based on points. For each team you got more points for being so close. If I can figure out a system...would anyone be interested?

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the more vocal critics would accept the challenge to have their picks tracked! :lol:

In other words, sign me up for the tracking program. 

GF#1    0
16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'd be interested in knowing how many of the more vocal critics would accept the challenge to have their picks tracked! :lol:

Ditto.

chipc3    0
11 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The si article is probably one of the best assessments from the media I've seen. It is a pretty fair assessment.

I don't think the grizzlies are going to fall out of the playoffs any time soon. But it is not because the front office ain't trying. The grizzlies honestly had a team that could make the playoffs 12 or 13 years in a row, but they aren't following how the spurs did it, which is to always resign your vets, unless they retire. 

The grizzlies are attempting to pivot midcareer of Mike and Marc, which is a mistaken in my opinion. It takes too long to rebuild around vets. It could happen. The good thing is that Mike and Marc are both in their prime, but the grizzlies need a lot of luck, which usually isn't the grizzlies fortay.

I don't disagree with the article either. However I question your position on what the Spurs have done. 

The Spurs haven't resigned veterans simply because they were on the team. They resigned veterans who led the team both on the court and off. Stephen Jackson was a Spur they didn't resign for instance. He was a great player but he wasn't the type of player Pops wanted on his team so he was allowed to leave. Boris Diaw left. Just this season Jonathan Simmons was allowed to leave. 

Outside of Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, who has been resigned by the Spurs that fits the terminology of "resign your vets unless they reitre?" The Spurs have built a winning culture and they want to maintain that culture. Players have resigned with the Spurs for less than market value in the past to remain with the organization but others have been allowed to leave too. What has remained has been the culture that Pops has built. Players come and go in San Antonio just like in other cities but the culture has remained. 

The unanswered question today is can Memphis retain their culture of hustle, grit and grind now that some of the players who started that attitude are no longer here? 

I also disagree with the idea that it takes a long time to rebuild around veterans. Using veteran players is a way to quickly turn things around. The question then is how long will it last?  Many teams use veterans to build around talented young players to teach them how to win games. The Grizzlies have kept their two biggest names. Are they the type who will motivate the younger players to become winners is unknown right now. Hopefully they will be and the team can continue winning but until that happens it is a fair question to ask. 

12 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't disagree with the article either. However I question your position on what the Spurs have done. 

The Spurs haven't resigned veterans simply because they were on the team. They resigned veterans who led the team both on the court and off. Stephen Jackson was a Spur they didn't resign for instance. He was a great player but he wasn't the type of player Pops wanted on his team so he was allowed to leave. Boris Diaw left. Just this season Jonathan Simmons was allowed to leave. 

Outside of Tony Parker, Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili, who has been resigned by the Spurs that fits the terminology of "resign your vets unless they reitre?" The Spurs have built a winning culture and they want to maintain that culture. Players have resigned with the Spurs for less than market value in the past to remain with the organization but others have been allowed to leave too. What has remained has been the culture that Pops has built. Players come and go in San Antonio just like in other cities but the culture has remained. 

The unanswered question today is can Memphis retain their culture of hustle, grit and grind now that some of the players who started that attitude are no longer here? 

I also disagree with the idea that it takes a long time to rebuild around veterans. Using veteran players is a way to quickly turn things around. The question then is how long will it last?  Many teams use veterans to build around talented young players to teach them how to win games. The Grizzlies have kept their two biggest names. Are they the type who will motivate the younger players to become winners is unknown right now. Hopefully they will be and the team can continue winning but until that happens it is a fair question to ask. 

Im talking about winning a championship with Mike and Marc, you seem to be only using mike and marc as a teaching tool.

We have very different goals for mike and marc.

The spurs will never let certain players leave or walk. The grizzlies have.

chipc3    0
Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

Im talking about winning a championship with Mike and Marc, you seem to be only using mike and marc as a teaching tool.

We have very different goals for mike and marc.

The spurs will never let certain players leave or walk. The grizzlies have.

I'm talking about winning championships too. Mike and Marc are the leaders of the team just like Tony, Manu and Tim have been for the Spurs. The Spurs won titles behind those players but allowed many other veterans to leave when they no longer weren't viewed as being the best players to win titles. 

When you discuss letting players go you aren't referring to Marc and Mike however. They are still on the Grizzlies roster. It would appear you are talking about Zach and Tony who were allowed to sign big contracts elsewhere. You mentioned the Spurs "always resign your vets, unless they retire." I showed that the Spurs allowed Stephen Jackson leave. They allowed Boris Diaw to leave. They allowed David West to leave who then went to Golden State and got a ring. 

The Spurs allowed veteran players to leave but kept those they felt were important to keeping the team competitive to win a title. The Grizzlies may be doing the same. Mike and Marc were both resigned to big contracts to prevent them from leaving after all.  

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I'm talking about winning championships too. Mike and Marc are the leaders of the team just like Tony, Manu and Tim have been for the Spurs. The Spurs won titles behind those players but allowed many other veterans to leave when they no longer weren't viewed as being the best players to win titles. 

When you discuss letting players go you aren't referring to Marc and Mike however. They are still on the Grizzlies roster. It would appear you are talking about Zach and Tony who were allowed to sign big contracts elsewhere. You mentioned the Spurs "always resign your vets, unless they retire." I showed that the Spurs allowed Stephen Jackson leave. They allowed Boris Diaw to leave. They allowed David West to leave who then went to Golden State and got a ring. 

The Spurs allowed veteran players to leave but kept those they felt were important to keeping the team competitive to win a title. The Grizzlies may be doing the same. Mike and Marc were both resigned to big contracts to prevent them from leaving after all.  

Yes, I'm talking about tony and zbo

Blackwatch    0
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

I'm Down like four flat tires!!!

SC Grizz    0

My prediction is one of these two scenarios happens:

Scenario 1: Marc and Mike both play at All Star levels and some other non "Core Four" guy really busts out. Probably Tyreke Evans who will revitalize his career here and then get signed to a stupid contract in 2018. Chandler Parson averages 10 ppg, 3 rpg, 3 apg as a limited minutes starter. A PF on our roster averages 8+ rebound a game (because we all know Marc won't). We make it into the playoffs as a 6 seed and upset the Timberwolves in the 1st round.

Scenario 2: Chandler Parsons and Tyreke Evans have joined B Mac on the injury report after the 1st month of the season. Marc starts pouting. Mike tries to will the team to the playoffs, but gets overcome by multiple nagging injuries. Our young inexperienced players all stink and fail to develop in any meaningful way. Wayne Selden is our best player still playing by April along with Tyreke who has just returned from injury. We finish with the 4th worst record in the league. 

One or the other WILL happen. No middle ground. :ph34r:

I am assuming a lot in my prediction, but assuming Parsons is normally healthy (which means like most other players, he may miss a game here and there but no major time out of the lineup) and Marc can remain engaged and motivated for the whole season, the Grizzlies should go 52-30.   I truly believe they can win 50+ games, but they cant take games off and just mail it in.  Somebody has to "drive" them to stay motivated.  They have to take care of business against the sub .500 teams and protect home court.  Yes, they will lose their share against GSW and SAS and I guess now HOU.  But games like losing at home to BKN like they did last year cannot happen.  If they can take care of things like that, they should win at least 52 games.  Mike, Marc, a relatively healthy Parsons and Jam Green can be a nucleus to a solid team.  Not going to win the West or anything but a solid team. 

Father Pat    0

Marc Gasol: I’m very ambitious and I’ve wanted Memphis to be a great franchise. We’ve grown a lot the last 6-7 years, but we have to keep growing. If this is not lined up, maybe we may have to revisit things.

Marc said this 3 weeks ago. Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement. So, assuming they don't fall into a funk and play like garbage the first few weeks, which will probably lead to Gasol being shopped, here's what I think;

1. Warriors

2. Rockets

3. Spurs

4. Clippers - I believe they will be having a lob fest there, taking advantage of all the small ball teams, and finishing better than most imagined.

5. Thunder 

6. T-Wolves

7. Jazz - "Gordon who?" They have a chip on their collective shoulders and feel betrayed. They are united and will play well.

8 . Blazers

9. Grizzlies - Assuming Gasol doesn't get traded

10. Pelicans - Assuming Brow and Boogie are both kept.  Could move up if they get some bench help

11. Nuggets

12. Mavs - For the first time, I actually feel sorry for Carlisle. Just a little.

13 - 15. Lakers, Sactown, & Phoenix 

On 8/16/2017 at 7:40 PM, chipc3 said:

1) Warriors

2) Rockets

3) Spurs 

4) Thunder

5) Clippers

6) Blazers

7) Timberwolves

8) one of Jazz, Nuggets, Grizzlies, Pelicans

12) Sacramento

13) Lakers

14) Mavericks

15) Suns

Kind of a gutless punt with calling for 4 teams to fight for the 8th spot but I truly believe it could come down to the final week of the season between them. If I had to make a call today (and I don't) then I'd say Jazz, Nuggets, Grizzlies then Pelicans.

I don't think the Clippers will finish 5th in the West. I see a struggle this yea, as much as I hate to say it, NO playoffs.

On 8/18/2017 at 11:56 AM, chipc3 said:

They didn't let David West leave, he went to GS because he wanted to be a champion and took a HUGE pay cut. I didn't see Gasol or Conley do that and everyone on the board thought everything was fine. Heck Dirk is playing for peanuts.

TimBC    0

(1) Too many teams have more good players than we have

(2) We'll start out better than expected, and someone will do really well, but then somehow we'll get a flat tire and go flumph-flumph-flumph to the end of the season. 

On 8/18/2017 at 10:07 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

Yes, I'm talking about tony and zbo

The Grizzlies were 12th in 2014-15 in payroll, 11th in 15-16 in payroll and #5 last year in payroll.

Our vets are gone because the front office realized that there's no point in being a mediocre low seeded playoff team and have a top 10 payroll. 

Dwash    0
8 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

The Grizzlies were 12th in 2014-15 in payroll, 11th in 15-16 in payroll and #5 last year in payroll.

Our vets are gone because the front office realized that you there's no point in being a mediocre low seeded playoff team and have a top 10 payroll. 

I can totally agree with that. I really dont think they care about playing style and all that. Just financial bottom line.

tangogriz    0
12 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Our vets are gone because the front office realized that there's no point in being a mediocre low seeded playoff team and have a top 10 payroll. 

If that were true, the fo would have made low ball offers to both.

And the guys might have taken the offers. Zbo hinted at it.

13 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Come on man, the vets they let go was the 1s who contributed very little to the Grizs payroll. The sheet is getting deep here when you go there.

Dwash    0
31 minutes ago, tangogriz said:

If that were true, the fo would have made low ball offers to both.

And the guys might have taken the offers. Zbo hinted at it.

I think they were wanting to pay league min to both.

tangogriz    0
6 hours ago, Dwash said:

I think they were wanting to pay league min to both.

I believe we would have heard if offers were discussed. Imo, the only way either is on the team this year is if we'd gone deep into the playoffs on their backs. The league killed that slim chance with their lax enforcement of the moving screen rule. So I believe the decision was made last year and that's why Zbo played so many playoff minutes.