Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Question Grizznation...Why....

does everyone on these boards think our "injury prone" players are just going to fall apart while other teams "injury prone" players stay health...the reason I assume this is because a lot of ppl think we are not going to make the playoff and the only way I see this happening is if all our player get hurt and other team players don't.

examples:

GSW-injry prone curry durant

Houston-injury prone paul gordon

Clips-injury prone griffen gallinari

SC Grizz    0

I think we are on par with the Clippers as far as guys who are "made of glass". That is a big reason why I see no way that they should be projected to be a substantially better team than us next season.

TimBC    0
2 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

examples:

Maybe not Curry. He's played 78 or more each regular season except 2010-11 (74) and 2011-12 (26), 
and if I recall right, that was just one injury.

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

Maybe not Curry. He's played 78 or more each regular season except 2010-11 (74) and 2011-12 (26), 
and if I recall right, that was just one injury.

he was injured the season Cleveland won the championship...he just played through it...I just wonder why its such a big deal with our team players health...when majority of teams main guys have had major/history of injuries in their career...its like grizz fans think well atleast the ones on this board think our players are the only ones that have injury histories.

Subliminal    0
1 hour ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

he was injured the season Cleveland won the championship...he just played through it...I just wonder why its such a big deal with our team players health...when majority of teams main guys have had major/history of injuries in their career...its like grizz fans think well atleast the ones on this board think our players are the only ones that have injury histories.

Gasol too fat

Fans are myopic about their own team, and most fans either way overrate or underrate their own team on a lot of things.  NFL fans and their teams playoff chances, treatment by team by refs, treatment of team by ESPN, etc. This message board has a magical ability (by some posters) to create posts where a player is simultaneously underrated (horribly overpaid, lazy, unclutch) player and they should be traded, but in the trade, they way overvalue what they think the other team would be willing to give up for such a player.

Clearly, our own fans see our own injury struggles, and I'm not sure most fans are overrating those, especially since more often then not the team was dealing with some kind of injury entering or during the playoffs.

Quite frankly, if you knew the Grizzlies would make the playoffs this year, which do you think is more likely come playoff time: The projected top 6-8 guys are healthy or the projected top 6-8 guys are missing a player or more to injury, which would you choose?

Lots of reasons to believe that one or more in this list will miss significant parts of the season and/or the playoffs (if they get there): Conley, Wright, Parsons, Tyreke, and Mario.  And Gasol (Included to not jinx him).  And add Jarell to the list of guys at 3 years of experience or less.

maybe this year our injury prone guys will be able to keep it together. who knows, fingers crossed cuz our whole roster is "injury prone"

cdp    0

Maybe it's the fact that 3 of our top 5 guys account for 7 surgeries in the past 2 years? I mean if we're talking bout who to count on to stay healthy, the guys you listed or our guys. I'm betting on the former.

7 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

does everyone on these boards think our "injury prone" players are just going to fall apart while other teams "injury prone" players stay health...the reason I assume this is because a lot of ppl think we are not going to make the playoff and the only way I see this happening is if all our player get hurt and other team players don't.

examples:

First off, not sure why you have GS listed because there is no way we can compete with the. Even if they lose Durant we can't compete with them. If they lose Curry we can't compete with them. I'll look at our 3 injury prone players (Wright, Evans and Parsons) versus the ones you listed. 

I would look at this from a couple of different perspectives:

1. Overall % games played. Wright, Gallinari and Griffin have missed entire seasons. Wright has played the less % lf games with 50% of total games played in his career. Gallinari has played the second less % of games of total games available to play (64%) and then Gordon (68%) and Griffin (74%), then Evans (74%) and Parsons (79%). I didn't even include Paul, Durant and Curry as they have all played at least 86% of the available games in their career. 
  2. How many time have they played at least 75% of the season in the past 3 seasons? Most players only had 1 season (Gallinari, Griffin, Parsons, Evans, Gordon, and Wright). Chris Paul and Durant had 67% and Curry at 100%. Paul basically had all 3 season as the season he missed was 74%.  
  3. The type of injury and surgeries. I'm not going to go into everyone but let's look at our players. In the past 2 seasons, Chandler Parsons has had 3 knee surgeries, Tyreke Evans has had 3 knee surgeries and Brandan Wright has had 1 knee surgery and an ankle surgery. Chip asked in another thread, how many people have come back from 3 knee surgeries and perform at or better than their level of play prior to the surgeries? Good question which I have no answer for.
  4. The definition of injury prone. To me, an injury is when you sit out. You can play through being hurt but an injury is when you sit out. and if you sit out a lot, you are injury prone. I would say that Griffin, Gallinari, Gordon, Wright, Evans, and Parsons are all injury prone. Durant missed 1 season with an injury. Same for Curry. Those guys are not injury prone. Paul has played in 86% of all games in his career. he has knick knack injuries but will play the majority of the season more often than not. He only has 1 season where he played less than 74% of games in 12 seasons.

GS shouldn't even be on this list. The 2 players you mentioned are not injury prone. Houston does not have the same injury concerns that we do. They have an MVP caliber player. Paul has played in 86% of games in his career. Gordon is injury prone but they moved him to the bench. Since going to the bench, he played in the highest % of games (91%) since his rookie year (95%). You could say he's rejuvenated. I don't know how the chemistry will work out in Houston but they don't have injury concerns like we do. The Clips are the only ones with similar injury concerns but most analysts had them neck and neck with us anyway.

Looking at our situation.....We are relying on Chandler Parsons, who has had 3 knee surgeries in 2 years, to be one of our top 3 scorers, one of our top 3 facilitators, and one of our best 3 pt shooters. We are relying on Tyreke Evans who is also coming off of 3 knee surgeries to be our 4th best scorer (after Conley, Gasol, and Parsons) and Brandan Wright, who has played in 50% of games in his career and only 24% of games with the Grizz, may be our starting PF. At the very least, he will be the first big off of the bench. So 3 out of our top 7 rotation players (maybe top 6 if Jam doesn't resign) are coming off of struggling with multiple injuries and surgeries for the past couple of seasons and none of them have shown that they can still play at the level that they were playing prior to the surgeries. That's a concern

With all that being said, the optimist in me says that they are all healthy now. This is the first off-season in 3 offseasons that Parsons has been able to work out as opposed to rehab. The is the first off-season in 2 off-seasons where Evans has been healthy and can work on his game and well, Wright has not been healthy in an off-season this millennium so that's great news that he's not injured. Does it mean they will be healthy for most of this upcoming season? I have no idea, but I have my fingers crossed.

chipc3    0
11 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

maybe this year our injury prone guys will be able to keep it together. who knows, fingers crossed cuz our whole roster is "injury prone"

Troy Daniels isn't injury prone. ;)

Ethan7    0

McLemore just fractured his foot, so much for trying to stay healthy this year.

chipc3    0
9 minutes ago, Ethan7 said:

McLemore just fractured his foot, so much for trying to stay healthy this year.

McLemore is the 4th straight summer time free agent signee that has been hurt his first season here. He follows Chandler Parsons, Brandan Wright and Vince Carter recently. I can't remember the last FA signed in the summer that wasn't hurt his first year in Memphis. 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

McLemore is the 4th straight summer time free agent signee that has been hurt his first season here. He follows Chandler Parsons, Brandan Wright and Vince Carter recently. I can't remember the last FA signed in the summer that wasn't hurt his first year in Memphis. 

Darko? Maybe Cardinal

chipc3    0
10 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Darko? Maybe Cardinal

Nope. It's a trick answer by the way.

On the bright side, TA may not have been TA if Xavier Henry had not been hurt. LH wasn't playing TA until then. GnG was born from the ashes of XHenry

13 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

smdh...you know what maybe our guys are made of glass....get well soon bmac.

Nah its the power of the overall negative mindset of the fanbase causing these injuries to manifest.    If we put the same energy into thinking positive of the team - i guarantee they will have a successful season. 

srmjr23    0

The Grizz FO should ban players from playing basketball during the Summer and should have known in advance that he would have landed on another player's foot #firewallace #smh

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nah its the power of the overall negative mindset of the fanbase causing these injuries to manifest.    If we put the same energy into thinking positive of the team - i guarantee they will have a successful season. 

It's time to put the blunt down buddy

40 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

It's time to put the blunt down buddy

idk...he may have a point...just seems like ever guy that comes here via trade/fa/draft get freakin hurt before that get started...so who u think gonna be next on the the list.

Michael D    0
12 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Have faith!  

Every team in every sport suffers from injuries.  It's impossible for a bunch of grown ups to push themselves hard against each other in contact sports without having injuries left and right.  We aren't worse off than anyone else.

Even golfers get injured and they aren't banging up against each other or running, jumping, etc.

Iron Mike    0

what's funny is that casual fans now have this notion that the Grizzlies are collecting injured players.

They aren't even surprised if we sign another guy that gets an injury a week or two after signing.