Sign in to follow this  
PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan

Question Grizznation...Why....

After setting the all time single season record for most players dressed in a season - call it injury PTSD.  Every time we see a Grizzly player hurt, we have flashbacks.  

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 10:46 PM, Notorious O.D.K. said:

First off, not sure why you have GS listed because there is no way we can compete with the. Even if they lose Durant we can't compete with them. If they lose Curry we can't compete with them. I'll look at our 3 injury prone players (Wright, Evans and Parsons) versus the ones you listed. 

I would look at this from a couple of different perspectives:

1. Overall % games played. Wright, Gallinari and Griffin have missed entire seasons. Wright has played the less % lf games with 50% of total games played in his career. Gallinari has played the second less % of games of total games available to play (64%) and then Gordon (68%) and Griffin (74%), then Evans (74%) and Parsons (79%). I didn't even include Paul, Durant and Curry as they have all played at least 86% of the available games in their career. 
  2. How many time have they played at least 75% of the season in the past 3 seasons? Most players only had 1 season (Gallinari, Griffin, Parsons, Evans, Gordon, and Wright). Chris Paul and Durant had 67% and Curry at 100%. Paul basically had all 3 season as the season he missed was 74%.  
  3. The type of injury and surgeries. I'm not going to go into everyone but let's look at our players. In the past 2 seasons, Chandler Parsons has had 3 knee surgeries, Tyreke Evans has had 3 knee surgeries and Brandan Wright has had 1 knee surgery and an ankle surgery. Chip asked in another thread, how many people have come back from 3 knee surgeries and perform at or better than their level of play prior to the surgeries? Good question which I have no answer for.
  4. The definition of injury prone. To me, an injury is when you sit out. You can play through being hurt but an injury is when you sit out. and if you sit out a lot, you are injury prone. I would say that Griffin, Gallinari, Gordon, Wright, Evans, and Parsons are all injury prone. Durant missed 1 season with an injury. Same for Curry. Those guys are not injury prone. Paul has played in 86% of all games in his career. he has knick knack injuries but will play the majority of the season more often than not. He only has 1 season where he played less than 74% of games in 12 seasons.

GS shouldn't even be on this list. The 2 players you mentioned are not injury prone. Houston does not have the same injury concerns that we do. They have an MVP caliber player. Paul has played in 86% of games in his career. Gordon is injury prone but they moved him to the bench. Since going to the bench, he played in the highest % of games (91%) since his rookie year (95%). You could say he's rejuvenated. I don't know how the chemistry will work out in Houston but they don't have injury concerns like we do. The Clips are the only ones with similar injury concerns but most analysts had them neck and neck with us anyway.

Looking at our situation.....We are relying on Chandler Parsons, who has had 3 knee surgeries in 2 years, to be one of our top 3 scorers, one of our top 3 facilitators, and one of our best 3 pt shooters. We are relying on Tyreke Evans who is also coming off of 3 knee surgeries to be our 4th best scorer (after Conley, Gasol, and Parsons) and Brandan Wright, who has played in 50% of games in his career and only 24% of games with the Grizz, may be our starting PF. At the very least, he will be the first big off of the bench. So 3 out of our top 7 rotation players (maybe top 6 if Jam doesn't resign) are coming off of struggling with multiple injuries and surgeries for the past couple of seasons and none of them have shown that they can still play at the level that they were playing prior to the surgeries. That's a concern

With all that being said, the optimist in me says that they are all healthy now. This is the first off-season in 3 offseasons that Parsons has been able to work out as opposed to rehab. The is the first off-season in 2 off-seasons where Evans has been healthy and can work on his game and well, Wright has not been healthy in an off-season this millennium so that's great news that he's not injured. Does it mean they will be healthy for most of this upcoming season? I have no idea, but I have my fingers crossed.

if they lose curry and we are healthy we can beat them. We proved that when Durant was in OKC. And that's the major problem with the board. The grizzlies successes are forgotten. If they lose Durant, we can beat them.

The problem is that the grizzlies are usually the ones with injured players in the playoffs and not the other way around. We had the advantage ONCE, against OKC and we went to the finals that year.  

Dwash    0
On 8/9/2017 at 11:21 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

if they lose curry and we are healthy we can beat them. We proved that when Durant was in OKC. And that's the major problem with the board. The grizzlies successes are forgotten. If they lose Durant, we can beat them.

The problem is that the grizzlies are usually the ones with injured players in the playoffs and not the other way around. We had the advantage ONCE, against OKC and we went to the finals that year.  

Then what happened when they faced another healthy elite team in the WCF?