UofMark

2017-18 Preseason and Regular Schedule?

UofMark    0

I know the regular season schedule hasn't been released yet but according to several sites, the regular season will begin on Tuesday, October 17. We're only about 10 weeks out from that date. I'm surprised the schedule isn't out yet. I know the league is trying to cut down on back to backs, but that almost seems to early to me. We won't even be at the halfway points of the NFL and NCAA football seasons. This also must mean our camp will start early to mid September. As for the preseason schedule, I keep looking at this site https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/preseason/schedule

A Grizzlies game finally popped in on Monday October 2nd against Orlando. I know teams dropped to six preseason games so hopefully we won't waste any games against travelling European minor league teams as we have in the past.

I see the Bulls have released their pre season schedule (not on it, but NO and Dallas are).

However they are on the Sacramento Kings preseason schedule, but it is labeled as "inter-squad scrimmage"

That Kings thing is not true, but a lame attempt at humor (but kings have released their schedule, they play Spurs twice)

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, UofMark said:

I know the regular season schedule hasn't been released yet but according to several sites, the regular season will begin on Tuesday, October 17. We're only about 10 weeks out from that date. I'm surprised the schedule isn't out yet. I know the league is trying to cut down on back to backs, but that almost seems to early to me. We won't even be at the halfway points of the NFL and NCAA football seasons. This also must mean our camp will start early to mid September. As for the preseason schedule, I keep looking at this site https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/preseason/schedule

A Grizzlies game finally popped in on Monday October 2nd against Orlando. I know teams dropped to six preseason games so hopefully we won't waste any games against travelling European minor league teams as we have in the past.

Schedules are released around the first week of August. It shouldn't be much longer. 

grizzgolf    0

I hope its soon. Need to plan my time around when they hit the east coast. Thinking this might be the year I make the trip to Memphis to finally make a home game. 

Side Note - Anything I should know about the Memphis area? Where to stay out of and what areas are ok? 

Where you stay all depends on what you want to do the other hours you are here and what type of hotels you like to stay in (chain, boutique).

But when you start planning, feel free to start a separate thread on the subject, because while this comes up fairly regularly, you would have to do a pretty good search to find those threads, and one probably just needs to be stickied to the top.

I wish the NBA would extend the back of the season and not start earlier...there's a perfect time during the lull in sports for the NBA to dominate. Start in mid November and end at the beginning of August

El Guapo    0
15 hours ago, Back2Grizzness said:

I wish the NBA would extend the back of the season and not start earlier...there's a perfect time during the lull in sports for the NBA to dominate. Start in mid November and end at the beginning of August

If the season did that, that would truly feel long and drawn out. Something about going through fall weather, winter, spring, and most of summer that would feel draining.

I think the lull is healthy, builds anticipation.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:05 AM, Back2Grizzness said:

You want an 82-game season to last 9 months. That's absurd.

On 8/9/2017 at 3:07 PM, Holidayinn21 said:

You want an 82-game season to last 9 months. That's absurd.

Math is hard. It's 8 months and change which happens to be what we have now with the extension this season. Last season including playoffs ran from 10/25-6/18 not including preseason. I'm including 2 weeks for preseason. Take 2 weeks out and it's exactly the time frame we will have this season to cut down on back to backs.

chipc3    0

I like the new schedule. Fewer games where we are paying top dollar to see less than optimal play because one or both teams are exhausted from playing the night before and then traveling to Memphis. Fewer 4 games in 5 nights where the players are literally dragging up and down the court. 

I'm sorry the season may last a few weeks longer but if each game becomes more enjoyable to watch will anyone really complain? 

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I like the new schedule. Fewer games where we are paying top dollar to see less than optimal play because one or both teams are exhausted from playing the night before and then traveling to Memphis. Fewer 4 games in 5 nights where the players are literally dragging up and down the court. 

I'm sorry the season may last a few weeks longer but if each game becomes more enjoyable to watch will anyone really complain? 

I think it's much bettter now...I'd love it to shift a month or 2 forward and have the end of NBA fill the sports lull gap but it's an improvement for sure

I still believe guys are going to sit and rest because it has become a cool kids club thing to do.

3 nights in 6 games, and game #2 is at San Antonio.....looks like I am not playing it.

GF#1    0

Full schedule:

http://www.nba.com/grizzlies/schedule/

Season opener home to the Pelicans, followed by the Warriors at FEF. 6 of first 8 games at home.

Two 5 game road trips.

Three nationally televised games, one of which is a MLK day game against the Lakers on TNT. Five NBATV games.

chipc3    0

Grizzlies season starts off tough! 

GamesOut    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

Griz season starts off tough because Griz are playing other teams not named the Griz.  Most every other west team has improved while the Griz could go either way this year.

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

And kind of ends with a lack of marquee names.

The Cavs come Feb 23, and after that, there are some interesting games, but nothing through March or April that you feel like you have to get tickets to see.

1 visit by Golden St, and it is the 2nd home game.

chipc3    0
12 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

And kind of ends with a lack of marquee names.

The Cavs come Feb 23, and after that, there are some interesting games, but nothing through March or April that you feel like you have to get tickets to see.

1 visit by Golden St, and it is the 2nd home game.

So if they can survive the first few months they could be in good shape to sneak into the playoffs.