Notorious O.D.K.

NBA Desperation Meter: Memphis Grizz

On 7/31/2017 at 3:46 PM, Blackwatch said:

Yeah, but those 3 were the most consistent , albeit older, players they had. I'll admit Gasol and Conley are the best players, but the experience and heart with the team was in Z-Bo, TA and Carter. Without them, the team didn't get better, and that is my concern. Don't just change for change sake, change to get better. Conley and Gasol are in their primes, now is not the time to rebuild. Signing Parsons, absolutely trashing their drafted players  and trading away their draft picks to cut salary are moves of F.O. incompetence. I'm not mad that they went away from TA and Z-Bo, I'm sad that they didn't get better by doing so, due to sheer incompetent management.  

Those were Levien trades not this FO and to me that's the most damning item on your list, the rest is wait-and-see.

I also think that you are wrong about the 3 players, because the comparison will be against their future performance and in the case of the most important one, Zack, style of play.

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:43 PM, tangogriz said:

Those were Levien trades not this FO and to me that's the most damning item on your list, the rest is wait-and-see.

I also think that you are wrong about the 3 players, because the comparison will be against their future performance and in the case of the most important one, Zack, style of play.

Yes, the style of play that Z-Bo forced wasn't conducive to how most NBA teams play today. But, considering the make up of the roster, it gave this team the best shot at being competitive. To go away from that style would require the players to do well in the new system. The team has not done that, at least not to the degree to be competitive paying that style. "Wait and see" is no reason/justification to blow up the team.  Most fans on here complained about the "Grit-n-Grind" style, and longed to play like Houston or the Dubs, but the Grizz didn't have the players/ talent to do that. Now that Fizz has convinced the FO that it was necessary, the team has gone away from that style, but has not been able to find the players needed to be competitive. That is my concern.

Parsons and Tyreke  are chronically injured, Gasol is Gasol, Conley is but one person who is apt to wear down over a full season if he is the Alpha scorer, and the other players on the squad don't have or haven't demonstrated the skills or talent to keep this team competitive.

43 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

ESPN Real Plus-Minus has the Grizz winning 34.6 games this year, good for 12th in the West. Hopefully its wrong, but I tend to agree.

Only if Gasol And conley are both in body bags by the end of the year. The grizzlies have never been a regular season team but they are certainly never going to fall off the map that bad. We aren't Dallas just yet.

23 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Yes, the style of play that Z-Bo forced wasn't conducive to how most NBA teams play today. But, considering the make up of the roster, it gave this team the best shot at being competitive. To go away from that style would require the players to do well in the new system. The team has not done that, at least not to the degree to be competitive paying that style. "Wait and see" is no reason/justification to blow up the team.  Most fans on here complained about the "Grit-n-Grind" style, and longed to play like Houston or the Dubs, but the Grizz didn't have the players/ talent to do that. Now that Fizz has convinced the FO that it was necessary, the team has gone away from that style, but has not been able to find the players needed to be competitive. That is my concern.

Parsons and Tyreke  are chronically injured, Gasol is Gasol, Conley is but one person who is apt to wear down over a full season if he is the Alpha scorer, and the other players on the squad don't have or haven't demonstrated the skills or talent to keep this team competitive.

Yes, most fans want to be Dub-like but fear being Dub-lite. Realistically, we just want some Pop in the Griz. (Uhhh, sorry, couldn't help it. :))

We want to do some Spur stuff, swing the ball and have the discipline to work for a good shot, one-on-ones are for mismatches, have fast break speed and the shooting to spot up for the open 3. Can they do it? Do they have the right recipe? Wait and see. I have high hopes. All the breaks don't have to go our way, just most of them.

For sure, Zbo and TA, for different reasons, do not fit. Imo, we had to make the move now. I'm a Hollins fan and see the importance of the old style in building a winning culture on this team so it hurts me to say that, now, for this team, I'd rather see a combo of Green/Martin at the 4 than Zbo. I believe Zack can be an excellent backup 4 for 4 more years if he wants, but its hard to be the backup on the team that you helped build. Hard for the player and the team.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:58 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

Only if Gasol And conley are both in body bags by the end of the year. The grizzlies have never been a regular season team but they are certainly never going to fall off the map that bad. We aren't Dallas just yet.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  Come on guys, this team needs work but they are still going to fight and make the playoffs.  With or without Chandler Parsons.

On 8/3/2017 at 1:12 PM, Blackwatch said:

ESPN Real Plus-Minus has the Grizz winning 34.6 games this year, good for 12th in the West. Hopefully its wrong, but I tend to agree.

They said the same thing last year.

I could see us winning a few less games because we won't have Z-bo to pull our fat out of the fire on occasion.  but 34? Naah.

But 12th in the west?  That could happen with the same record as last year.  I can't think of a single WC team that lost ground with their moves this offseason.  Except maybe us.  Depends on if we have any hidden gems coming in.

1 hour ago, The Truth is OUT said:

I could see us winning a few less games because we won't have Z-bo to pull our fat out of the fire on occasion.  but 34? Naah.

But 12th in the west?  That could happen with the same record as last year.  I can't think of a single WC team that lost ground with their moves this offseason.  Except maybe us.  Depends on if we have any hidden gems coming in.

Utah and Clippers? What has Portland done?

On 8/4/2017 at 6:00 PM, The Truth is OUT said:

Jazz

Clippers