Notorious O.D.K.

NBA Desperation Meter: Memphis Grizz

This actually makes me feel better than I have in a while. I was starting to feel things were much worse! 

Grit and grind is gone and that alone is cause for concern. It remains to be seen if fizzball can pivot and shake off the old mentality and still succeed. I'm not certain he is the coach that can do it, especially with the pieces we brought in.

We could drop to the middle of the pack defensively which would almost certain be a deathnail coffin to this teams competitiveness. Mike and marc are good but without tony and Zach our defensive leader and offensive leaders for years, it's going to be real hard to sustain our level of play we have grown accustom to.

7 hours ago, chipc3 said:

This actually makes me feel better than I have in a while. I was starting to feel things were much worse! 

Really? That's hilarious. 

3 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Grit and grind is gone and that alone is cause for concern. It remains to be seen if fizzball can pivot and shake off the old mentality and still succeed. I'm not certain he is the coach that can do it, especially with the pieces we brought in.

We could drop to the middle of the pack defensively which would almost certain be a deathnail coffin to this teams competitiveness. Mike and marc are good but without tony and Zach our defensive leader and offensive leaders for years, it's going to be real hard to sustain our level of play we have grown accustom to.

ITA

5 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The team already fell off last year

I took some unction with this quote, however:

For the first time in a while, legitimate cracks are appearing on the Grizzlies' facade of sustained competitiveness. 

What facade? Our "sustained competitiveness" is in the W-L record, our longevity in playoff appearances, and our high percentage of close wins. It matters not what identity we used to make that happen. It happened.  It's not like we came up with "Grit n' Grind" and cooked the books.  

And if one can be meta, non-sequitur, and full circle all at the same time, it reminded me of this Kevin Hart moment on Mike & Mike in the morning.

They should have a list of NBA fans depression meter. We'd bound to be at the top of the list!

3 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

I think I'm one of the few that is actually exciting about next season

You can slap me on the list. Not really sure how it'll turn out, but I'm exicting about it too

I'm a B-ball fan, and I love my hometown team, but the FO royally screwed this roster over. I hope I'm wrong, but this team  won't make the playoffs next year.  

Three over the hill role players leaving isn't going to be the difference between making and not making the playoffs

15 minutes ago, Allen said:

Three over the hill role players leaving isn't going to be the difference between making and not making the playoffs

Yeah, but those 3 were the most consistent , albeit older, players they had. I'll admit Gasol and Conley are the best players, but the experience and heart with the team was in Z-Bo, TA and Carter. Without them, the team didn't get better, and that is my concern. Don't just change for change sake, change to get better. Conley and Gasol are in their primes, now is not the time to rebuild. Signing Parsons, absolutely trashing their drafted players  and trading away their draft picks to cut salary are moves of F.O. incompetence. I'm not mad that they went away from TA and Z-Bo, I'm sad that they didn't get better by doing so, due to sheer incompetent management.  

8 minutes ago, Blackwatch said:

I'm not mad that they went away from TA and Z-Bo, I'm sad that they didn't get better by doing so

I can understand your logic here.  I'am just taking a wait and see approach before declaring everything a failure.  

IMHO a consistently healthy Parsons and Tyreke ARE a big upgrade over past prime Zbo and TA.  On paper they are  better compliments to Gasol and Mike and fit the new system much better.   That is why i am optimistic. 

1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I can understand your logic here.  I'am just taking a wait and see approach before declaring everything a failure.  

IMHO a consistently healthy Parsons and Tyreke ARE a big upgrade over past prime Zbo and TA.  On paper they are  better compliments to Gasol and Mike and fit the new system much better.   That is why i am optimistic. 

I'm with you GTF

52 minutes ago, Allen said:

One of those "over the hill" players was the team's second best per minute scorer and leading rebounder.  Another made the NBA All-Defensive Team 2nd team.  The third was instrumental in leading and teaching our young guys on the court.  You think those guys leaving won't make a difference?  I think that it is silly to think that and you may be surprised by how much.

I know it had to happen at some point, so I'll be okay with it, but I think we have a much tougher row to hoe.

32 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Two things here:

• Parsons and Tyreke are not healthy, and so its pointless to assume that they are better than Z-Bo and TA "when healthy" . Yes, when healthy, they are better, but that ship has sailed. Both of them have chronic knee issues. Those don't just go away with rehab. They will have to adjust their game or retire. And with adjusted games, would they be better than Z-Bo and TA ? Only time would tell. 
  • Also, even if they are better fits in Frizz's system, are they good enough to compete with the Spurs, the Dubs and the Rockets in Fizz's system? One advantage that the Grizz had was that their style of play made up for the lack of skill and talent on the team when compared to the Dubs and the Rockets. That style is now gone, so the Grizz need a massive infusion of talent to compete with the elite teams in the west playing Fizz's style. I just don't think talent and skill wise, this Grizz team can even step on the floor with the elite teams in the west. After Conley (and Gasol on a few nights), it is really a different league we are talking about at this point.

In order for this "transition" to make sense, unproven young players will have to step up big time. Until that happens, I just don't see much room for optimism about next season at this point. Again, I truly hope I am wrong and I will gladly come back here and eat all the crow I need to if that is the case.

On 7/28/2017 at 8:30 PM, Allen said:

The team fell off

I'm not sure I agree. Last year the grizzlies played well against elite teams, but they were terrible on the road and against mediocre teams. 

They were also a hair away from pushing the spurs to 7 games without tony. If that's falling off, sign me up.

I think that when you switch to being a perimeter jump shooting team you are going to lose consistency. 

The grizzlies are in a strange place because they could actually be an elite team next year, but we are relying on Chandler to push us there which is a losing bet.

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I've asked this before but can you or anyone else point out someone as an example of a player who came back from three knee surgeries to perform like he did prior?

1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I've asked this before but can you or anyone else point out someone as an example of a player who came back from three knee surgeries to perform like he did prior?

idk how old you are..bt times have changed...there use to be a time when only one knee injury would end your career...medical science has come a long way and with the amount of money invested in these guys higher dollar futuristic surgeries aren't out of the ordinary...plus I think we have a incredible medical staff...comely and gasol had career years after return from what could of been career ending injuries.

1 hour ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

idk how old you are..bt times have changed...there use to be a time when only one knee injury would end your career...medical science has come a long way and with the amount of money invested in these guys higher dollar futuristic surgeries aren't out of the ordinary...plus I think we have a incredible medical staff...comely and gasol had career years after return from what could of been career ending injuries.

You didnt answer the question.

16 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

We're coming up on year 2 of Fizdale's reign. This is about the time GTF always becomes more pensive about the coach. Over the season he will become more biting and next year he will be in full fledged "fire the man" mode if history repeats. 

30 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

We're coming up on year 2 of Fizdale's reign. This is about the time GTF always becomes more pensive about the coach. Over the season he will become more biting and next year he will be in full fledged "fire the man" mode if history repeats. 

Given the team's track record with coaches I don't think that is such an off position. Sans Hubie and L-Train, what does the FO really have that demonstrates patience being a virtue in regards to coaches?

38 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Give me till AllStar break.