Sign in to follow this  
Notorious O.D.K.

Lamar Odom In His Own Words

Done In The Dark

I know it's not Grizz-related and mods will move whenever, but reading this story just makes you wonder how much of a sham the NBA's drug testing program is. Everybody in Dallas knew this dude was on all types of coke when he was here and the stories really came out when that stuff happened at that brothel. I mean stories of this dude being obviously high during games, I think somebody found a crack pipe in the locker room or something and it was a big blowup with Cuban in the locker room (which might have been in Memphis) It just makes you wonder, should the team have voluntarily suspended him and forced him into the drug program. I know everybody is an adult and that's his choice and right but everybody on the team knew he was strung out and they just left him hanging. 

"When you’re an addict, nothing can get through to you."  - L. Odom.

The team could only bench him and/or waive him, which they did. The only time you can actually force anyone into a drug program is if the law is involved, and then it almost never works anyway. They have to want to get better, not forced. NBA and union rules would prohibit a team from drug testing players, only the league or law enforcement can do that. It doesn't matter how much you care for or love someone, they will only get straightened out when they make that decision for themselves. Many never make it to that point.

As far as the league's drug testing program being a sham, heck yes it is. It's down right pathetic. The almighty dollar rules the day, and the league is afraid it would lose money if they had an honest program. The shame is on the league for not having the moral character to do what is best for their employees (players & coaches).

21 hours ago, Father Pat said:

"When you’re an addict, nothing can get through to you."  - L. Odom.

The team could only bench him and/or waive him, which they did. The only time you can actually force anyone into a drug program is if the law is involved, and then it almost never works anyway. They have to want to get better, not forced. NBA and union rules would prohibit a team from drug testing players, only the league or law enforcement can do that. It doesn't matter how much you care for or love someone, they will only get straightened out when they make that decision for themselves. Many never make it to that point.

I agree with that, I just don't understand how he was even in the league. my point was more so that people should have done more to kick him out of the league earlier because stuff had been happening for awhile. Maybe he would have gotten the message sooner is what I am trying to say and maybe that would have been the impetus for him to realize he had hit rock bottom....maybe, maybe not. 

As far as the league's drug testing program being a sham, heck yes it is. It's down right pathetic. The almighty dollar rules the day, and the league is afraid it would lose money if they had an honest program. The shame is on the league for not having the moral character to do what is best for their employees (players & coaches).

Agreed.  I actually have no clue why there is a drug program. It's all a ruse to market the players ("our players are drug free"...no they are not)