The REF

Where is OJ Mayo?

I took a lot of flak for my stance on Mayo but there were red flags every where and at his size, he was an undersized scorer. He was never a PG type. I never bought into the media hype and I was living in California at the time and many USC fans couldn't stand him. I never bought into the OJ vs Rudy thing but it was clear he wanted to be the alpha dog even if he didn't have the skills to back it up. The guy rubbed me the wrong way from the jump.

I hope he can get his life together and get back on track. Also, I'm not surprised people can't find him. He always came across to me as a loner type who didn't like people in his business.

You are given this Memphis related choice at the end of the 2009 season - In 2017, which of these guys will be out of the league, which will be playing on a 1-yr contract near the league minimum, and which of these guys will one of the highest paid players in the league.   Your choices: Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, and Mike Conley.  In 2009, nobody gets that answer correct.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You are given this Memphis related choice at the end of the 2009 season - In 2017, which of these guys will be out of the league, which will be playing on a 1-yr contract near the league minimum, and which of these guys will one of the highest paid players in the league.   Your choices: Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, and Mike Conley.  In 2009, nobody gets that answer correct.

Interesting and spot on. Remember when we thought we won the Love/Mayo trade?

7 hours ago, Back2Grizzness said:

Interesting and spot on. Remember when we thought we won the Love/Mayo trade?

But if we had Love what would have we done with Zbo?

2 hours ago, grizzgolf said:

But if we had Love what would have we done with Zbo?

We wouldn't have traded to get Zach from the Clippers.  The Clippers would likely have shipped him off to some other team after drafting Blake the Flake.

You have to remember we traded for Zach the year after we traded Love for Mayo.  The Grizzlies did the Mayo/Love trade after they acquired Darrell Arthur later in that draft night. So, without the trade, the likely lineup that season for Iavajabroni would have been Conley/Lowry, Mike Miller, Rudy Gay, Kevin Love, Marc/Darko.

OJ is on top of a mountain somewhere in West Virginia.

I actually had a lot of hopes, mainly biased hopes because he was from WV that he would be great. He is a Ricky Williams type of person. Maybe he will be back, maybe he wont be back. Hard to tell with OJ. He had all the tools and athleticism to be a force in the NBA. Wherever he is I wish him the best of luck and I hope he finds his way onto an NBA court again in the future.  

On 7/26/2017 at 2:05 PM, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I took a lot of flak for my stance on Mayo but there were red flags every where and at his size, he was an undersized scorer. He was never a PG type. I never bought into the media hype and I was living in California at the time and many USC fans couldn't stand him. I never bought into the OJ vs Rudy thing but it was clear he wanted to be the alpha dog even if he didn't have the skills to back it up. The guy rubbed me the wrong way from the jump.

I hope he can get his life together and get back on track. Also, I'm not surprised people can't find him. He always came across to me as a loner type who didn't like people in his business.

You and me both took flack. I got it for my position that Mayo wasn't a PG (something even Verno admits now) and that he was slow and undersized as a SG. 

If I was Mayo I'd be laying low too after the disaster his high profile life became. He's smart to avoid the spotlight now. I hope he keeps his money safe and doesn't become one of those horror stories about former athletes going broke. 

10 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

I wouldn't mind giving him a chance on a Tyreke Evans type deal.

Well, you would have to wait until next summer before he applies for readmission into the league. If he gets readmitted, then he would be an UFA in 2018.

He may play overseas though

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Well, you would have to wait until next summer before he applies for readmission into the league. If he gets readmitted, then he would be an UFA in 2018.

He may play overseas though

It would be cool if NBA allowed him to play for the G-League.  Then i would advocate picking him up for the Hustle. 

Before reading the article, I thought that there was little reason to expect Mayo to last in the league for a few years, if he was re-instated.

That piece, at least appears, to make Mayo look repentant and motivated.  

It also appears that either the Bucks or the team that has Giannis at the time, will get first shot at Mayo.  I also wouldn't rule out the T'Wolves.

I probably would rule out Memphis and Dallas.

On 8/21/2017 at 1:07 PM, Notorious O.D.K. said:

When you make thay type of money why in the world would any of these guys have a mortgage? Is there no one around in any capacity that could tell them better?

Buy a lovely 800k - 1 million dollar home, pay all cash or pay for it within a year or two. Just pay taxes/insurance for life.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

When you make thay type of money why in the world would any of these guys have a mortgage? Is there no one around in any capacity that could tell them better?

Buy a lovely 800k - 1 million dollar home, pay all cash or pay for it within a year or two. Just pay taxes/insurance for life.

Mayo had saved more than enough of his $46 million career earnings to retire and live comfortably.

Its not as bad as it seems.

I'd love to see OJ and Tony playing together again. :D

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

A lot of entertainers are told to finance things so that they can maximize their cash flow and invest in other ways. They are told, instead of dropping $1 mil on a house(which depending on where you are at, may not get you much), put down 20% and invest the other $800k. I don't agree with that. If I had it, I would pay the house off in one lump sum. Cash is King. You never know what can happen. 

25 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

A lot of entertainers are told to finance things so that they can maximize their cash flow and invest in other ways. They are told, instead of dropping $1 mil on a house(which depending on where you are at, may not get you much), put down 20% and invest the other $800k. I don't agree with that. If I had it, I would pay the house off in one lump sum. Cash is King. You never know what can happen. 

I agree. For other things maybe I finance but I would atleast have one safe nest spot paid for if all else fails. A roof over your head is half the reason most people have to work.

On 7/26/2017 at 2:05 PM, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Former coach ("beg") LH did try an OJ at pg experiment and it failed miserably.

Not sure what the heck LH was thinking but it didn't work.  At all.

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

Former coach ("beg") LH did try an OJ at pg experiment and it failed miserably.

Not sure what the heck LH was thinking but it didn't work.  At all.

I believe OJ and his agent were female dogging about him wanting to be a PG, so LH went "Alright, so show me" and that was that.

If I recall, game 7 in the playoffs vs the Clippers was one of those "show me" moments that turned out disastrous.

Upon finding the box score from that Sunday afternoon game that I drove a long way to be at...

OJ was...

1 of 11 in 24 minutes.

his +/- was a minus 24 (basically lost the game for memphis)

But he did have 2 assists

And... I noticed that ("beg") LH didn't bother to have a true backup pg on the playoff roster (OOPS! :angry:)

At least Jägermeister knew to always have a backup PG.   

13 hours ago, bhoyal said:

If I recall, game 7 in the playoffs vs the Clippers was one of those "show me" moments that turned out disastrous.

Upon finding the box score from that Sunday afternoon game that I drove a long way to be at...

OJ was...

1 of 11 in 24 minutes.

his +/- was a minus 24 (basically lost the game for memphis)

But he did have 2 assists

And... I noticed that ("beg") LH didn't bother to have a true backup pg on the playoff roster (OOPS! :angry:)

At least Jägermeister knew to always have a backup PG.   

Just how many minutes was this "show me" moment?  Conley played 40 minutes that game.

I never realized Hollins was the General Manager back then, I thought Wallace was.  ...and what's with this silly ("beg") stuff?  You got hurt feelings?

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Just how many minutes was this "show me" moment?  Conley played 40 minutes that game.

I never realized Hollins was the General Manager back then, I thought Wallace was.  ...and what's with this silly ("beg") stuff?  You got hurt feelings?

The "beg LH" is great. I think he should go all in and change his screen name

"Beg LH" and "Just tank" were two infamous threads on here during the early part of Joerger's first season just before the Grizz won 15 of their next 20 games or so.  The butt-hurt ones were the "Beg LH's" and "Just tanks" if I recall.  

I was on the side of giving Joerger a chance, not to fire a guy one month into a season.

4 hours ago, bhoyal said:

"Beg LH" and "Just tank" were two infamous threads on here during the early part of Joerger's first season just before the Grizz won 15 of their next 20 games or so.  The butt-hurt ones were the "Beg LH's" and "Just tanks" if I recall.  

I was on the side of giving Joerger a chance, not to fire a guy one month into a season.

Yet you're the one still posting about it four years later.