Michael D

JaM Ain't Going Anywhere

Recommended Posts

Dwash    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

If poverty was the problem then the Football Tigers, basketball Tigers and Grizzlies attendance wouldn't swing from one extreme to another based on their records. I imagine the poverty rate doesn't change too much based on how well the Tigers or Grizzlies perform on the field.

But when you are a city that is always drawing from a larger pool of fans who can easily afford it you are more likely to stay stocked with fans when the team isnt as fun and entertaining to watch.

Lets say on average, across the country, 10% of fans who have the disposable income for season tickets are likely to renew their tickets even when the team is bad. If city A has 200,000 fans with the disposable income to comfortable afford it and city B has 100,000 fans with that income then city A never has a problem. 

Lets say that number becomes 20% when the team is good. Now city B is able to sell out. While city A is alreadu sold out, so they just jack the prices up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

If poverty was the problem then the Football Tigers, basketball Tigers and Grizzlies attendance wouldn't swing from one extreme to another based on their records. I imagine the poverty rate doesn't change too much based on how well the Tigers or Grizzlies perform on the field.

Have all of those teams done well at the same time? I get the feeling if that happened, attendance would be mediocre in 1 if not 2 of those teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
7 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Have all of those teams done well at the same time? I get the feeling if that happened, attendance would be mediocre in 1 if not 2 of those teams 

The Grizzlies were a playoff team in 2007-08. The Tigers were 38-2. Attendance wasn't mediocre for either team. The Grizzlies averaged almost 13,000 (and this was after 3 seasons of missing the playoffs entirely) and the Tigers were ranked in the top 10 in the country.

The Grizzlies attendance continued to grow over the playoff run as the team was viewed more and more successful. The Tigers attendance remained strong until the recent poor performance. The Tigers football team's attendance has been on the rise as their team's success has improved as well. 

The statistics seem to imply the teams relative success and not the area's presumed poverty indicates how well the team is supported.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
12 hours ago, Dwash said:

But when you are a city that is always drawing from a larger pool of fans who can easily afford it you are more likely to stay stocked with fans when the team isnt as fun and entertaining to watch.

Lets say on average, across the country, 10% of fans who have the disposable income for season tickets are likely to renew their tickets even when the team is bad. If city A has 200,000 fans with the disposable income to comfortable afford it and city B has 100,000 fans with that income then city A never has a problem. 

Lets say that number becomes 20% when the team is good. Now city B is able to sell out. While city A is alreadu sold out, so they just jack the prices up.

We were talking about Green Bay and Salt Lake City supporting their team compared to Memphis. We weren't discussing large metroplex' with millions of potential fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
UofMark    0
4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies were a playoff team in 2007-08. The Tigers were 38-2. Attendance wasn't mediocre for either team. The Grizzlies averaged almost 13,000 (and this was after 3 seasons of missing the playoffs entirely) and the Tigers were ranked in the top 10 in the country.

Grizzlies were a robust 22-60 in 2007-08, the exact same record as the year before. The next season (08-09) they 'improved' to 24-58.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwash    0
6 hours ago, chipc3 said:

We were talking about Green Bay and Salt Lake City supporting their team compared to Memphis. We weren't discussing large metroplex' with millions of potential fans.

Yeah but Salt Lake and Green Bay could also have a larger number of fans with disposable income to pay for games.  Thats what its all about. Thats where the poverty rate that you said doesnt matter comes into play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
19 hours ago, Dwash said:

Yeah but Salt Lake and Green Bay could also have a larger number of fans with disposable income to pay for games.  Thats what its all about. Thats where the poverty rate that you said doesnt matter comes into play.

Could be. Of course Green Bay only has 105,000 citizens and the Lambeau Field seats 81,000. 

Personally I never thought of Green Bay as that affluent but I could be wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 8:13 AM, chipc3 said:

The Grizzlies were a playoff team in 2007-08. The Tigers were 38-2. Attendance wasn't mediocre for either team. The Grizzlies averaged almost 13,000 (and this was after 3 seasons of missing the playoffs entirely) and the Tigers were ranked in the top 10 in the country.

The Grizzlies attendance continued to grow over the playoff run as the team was viewed more and more successful. The Tigers attendance remained strong until the recent poor performance. The Tigers football team's attendance has been on the rise as their team's success has improved as well. 

The statistics seem to imply the teams relative success and not the area's presumed poverty indicates how well the team is supported.

 

On 8/27/2017 at 0:43 PM, UofMark said:

Grizzlies were a robust 22-60 in 2007-08, the exact same record as the year before. The next season (08-09) they 'improved' to 24-58.

LOL, yeah. Chips memory is a little bit off on this one. The Grizz were horrible in 2007-08. I stand corrected. Tiger fb had a winning record and made a bowl game. The bball team was #1 for most of that year I think you would expect good attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwash    0
33 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Could be. Of course Green Bay only has 105,000 citizens and the Lambeau Field seats 81,000. 

Personally I never thought of Green Bay as that affluent but I could be wrong. 

As someone said earlier people from Milwaukee (and probably all over Wisconsin) are helping to fill that up. Plus we are talking about 8 games a year and Im sure just about every NFL game (especially the Packers) generates more excitement locally than a weekday game against the Hornets or Hawks. And a historically very successful franchise which seems to have an unusual diehard mentality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chipc3    0
On 8/28/2017 at 11:03 AM, Dwash said:

As someone said earlier people from Milwaukee (and probably all over Wisconsin) are helping to fill that up. Plus we are talking about 8 games a year and Im sure just about every NFL game (especially the Packers) generates more excitement locally than a weekday game against the Hornets or Hawks. And a historically very successful franchise which seems to have an unusual diehard mentality.

Seems like a lot of excuses there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwash    0
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Seems like a lot of excuses there. 

If you want to call them that but Im looking at the realities of why the Grizzlies (or hardly any small market team in any sport) will ever sell out consistently like the Packers do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Subliminal    0
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

If you want to call them that but Im looking at the realities of why the Grizzlies (or hardly any small market team in any sport) will ever sell out consistently like the Packers do.

There is NO reason WHATSOEVER that the Grizzlies shouldn't have better attendance than the Packers. Get out of here with the excuses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jetfixer    0
4 hours ago, Subliminal said:

There is NO reason WHATSOEVER that the Grizzlies shouldn't have better attendance than the Packers. Get out of here with the excuses!

You don't get that the Packers are the equal to the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers in historic terms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

You don't get that the Packers are the equal to the Yankees, Celtics, Lakers in historic terms.

I think you don't get Subliminal's sarcasm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jetfixer    0
11 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think you don't get Subliminal's sarcasm.

Ok, now I do.....thanks. I do see through green and gold colored glasses this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GamesOut    0
2 hours ago, Subliminal said:

🤓

Has the sarcasm reached new levels because of next year's uncertainty, or something else?  BTW, I appreciate sarcasm more than most.  Maybe its just a stress reliever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2017 at 10:59 PM, MemphisX said:

People said fans wouldn't comeback if we traded Shane Battier. If you know Memphis, you know as soon as the team gets good or a star, the fans will come.

Attendance will fall this season regardless.

you just said what Im saying for the most part.  IF they get good or IF they get a star, the fans will come back.  And all Im saying is that it will take something like that and it will be slower than in say Chicago, where they probably sell most all the tickets every year no matter what. Not saying the seats are always full when they suck but they sell the tickets or BOS or the Lakers.  My only point is that MEM is a different animal.  If they want to blow things up and move on from a mediocre Jam Green or trade Marc for draft picks or whatever, Im just saying they better be right in their next moves.  They better get that star or they better get good again fairly quickly, because it has taken a long time for the Grizzlies to build their fan base. They have worked hard at it and they have done a good job.  I just dont want them to just blow it up and tank for a couple years because that is the in vogue thing to do and its what BOS did or the Lakers or whoever.  In MEM, fans wont just come back because its the Grizzlies. 

If Sam Presti or RC Buford was running the Grizz, then I would have a lot more faith in the ability of the FO to complete a successful rebuild, but CWallace, Hollinger, Stefanski have simply not shown the track record that they can do it and that is why I hesitate to agree to simply dumping a player like Jam Green.  He may not be an all star but we need him and FA power forward are not beating the door down to come to Memphis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cdp    0

Don't think this been posted but;

Quote

The Ringer recently looked remaining free agents, including Green and Tony Allen, who might be the most significant unrestricted free agent still on the board. This piece suggests the Grizzlies might be unwilling to offer Green more than his $2.8 million qualifying offer. That’s not true. They’ve offered significantly more than that, but also significantly less than Green and his agent were probably expecting when the process began.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/pick-and-pop/2017/08/25/pick-and-pop-marc-gasols-future-david-fizdales-stand-and-more/601762001/

Man **** this guy. If they didn't need him so much i'd kick him to the curb. They didn't even offer Zbo the minimum what makes Jam think that they'll offer big money when he got pulled as a starter at the end of the year. He's got zero options n with bein unrestricted next year he's better off takin the QO n be done with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dwash    0
1 hour ago, cdp said:

Don't think this been posted but;

http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/nba/grizzlies/pick-and-pop/2017/08/25/pick-and-pop-marc-gasols-future-david-fizdales-stand-and-more/601762001/

Man **** this guy. If they didn't need him so much i'd kick him to the curb. They didn't even offer Zbo the minimum what makes Jam think that they'll offer big money when he got pulled as a starter at the end of the year. He's got zero options n with bein unrestricted next year he's better off takin the QO n be done with it.

He isnt taking it because he knows the Grizzlies dont have a starting power forward. He is probably looking to drive his price up based on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fanboyslim    0

I think this is just negotiation tactics but they'll reach a reasonable agreement in the end. JaM may be hoping the team will overpay due to the lack of PFs in roster but if he forces the FO's hand I think it's more likely that we'll go into the season without a real PF than sinking a lot of long term money in JaM's contract.

And if push comes to shove I would support that approach. I'd rather suffer through this season until we can patch the position with a vet min hire or a trade than jeopardizing our long term future by overpaying JaM.

Also, don't forget that JaM's alternative to signing with us or going to the Sichuan Backwaters or the Smolensk Rejects for half a million bucks and all the bear pelts he can hunt. Most good teams in Europe have their rosters complete and JaM isn't exactly a brand name in China. So he's playing a dangerous game too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael D    0

Told you guys...looks like the Grizzlies will be signing Jamychal to a two year deal which is JUST ABOUT PERFECT for a player of his capabilities.  We have some youngsters at the PF position and hopefully one of them like Deyonta Davis will be ready by then to start.

https://clutchpoints.com/grizzlies-rumors-jamychal-green-potential-two-year-deal-getting-done-soon/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Michael D said:

Told you guys...looks like the Grizzlies will be signing Jamychal to a two year deal which is JUST ABOUT PERFECT for a player of his capabilities.  We have some youngsters at the PF position and hopefully one of them like Deyonta Davis will be ready by then to start.

https://clutchpoints.com/grizzlies-rumors-jamychal-green-potential-two-year-deal-getting-done-soon/

 

You wanna know the truly funny part of this is. Geoff Caulkins, Ron Tillery, Chris Vernon, Chris Herrington, Peter edmiston, not one if them broke the story, lol. 

It was Matt Moore. It tells you how useless these guys are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tangogriz    0
5 hours ago, Michael D said:

Told you guys...looks like the Grizzlies will be signing Jamychal to a two year deal which is JUST ABOUT PERFECT for a player of his capabilities.  We have some youngsters at the PF position and hopefully one of them like Deyonta Davis will be ready by then to start.

https://clutchpoints.com/grizzlies-rumors-jamychal-green-potential-two-year-deal-getting-done-soon/

 

You wanna know the really funny part. Bruno cites Woj, or is it a fake Woj.

" ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski also signaled to the progress toward the deal on Sunday. "

Because that Woj may be talking about the Celtics signing Jam soon.

Uh oh.

So then you click to that Woj twitter account to find out that:

---------------------------------

Adrian Wojnarowski @ESPNWojNBA Sep 2

The Boston Celtics have acquired Grizzlies center Marc Gasol in exchange for Guerschon Yabusele and a future 1st via LAC.

0 replies 1 retweet 3 likes
 
---------------------------------
 
Double fudge uh oh. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Michael D    0
7 hours ago, tangogriz said:

You wanna know the really funny part. Bruno cites Woj, or is it a fake Woj.

" ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski also signaled to the progress toward the deal on Sunday. "

Because that Woj may be talking about the Celtics signing Jam soon.

Uh oh.

So then you click to that Woj twitter account to find out that:

---------------------------------

Adrian Wojnarowski @ESPNWojNBA Sep 2

The Boston Celtics have acquired Grizzlies center Marc Gasol in exchange for Guerschon Yabusele and a future 1st via LAC.

0 replies 1 retweet 3 likes
 
---------------------------------
 
Double fudge uh oh. :D

Whoever wrote that article bombed on linking to the fake Woj Twitter page but, NBC, Ron Tillery, and Bleacher Sports are saying the same thing.  Two year deal is about to get done.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731874-jamychal-green-grizzlies-reportedly-working-toward-2-year-contract

 

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2017/09/06/rumor-grizzlies-jamychal-green-progressing-toward-two-year-contract/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now