Michael D

JaM Ain't Going Anywhere

fanboyslim    0
11 hours ago, Subliminal said:

Fanboyslim will go down as the most proficient NBA finance analysist the boards have ever seen

I honestly don't know why the heck I started learning financial rules and all that, I don't even like finance. I suspect it all started like this:

duty_calls.png

Gradey    0

JAM is working himself into a real mess. IMO he needs to get a deal signed asap.  The QO isn't really going to do him much good either since next offseason appears to be even worse for mid/low tier FAs than this one does.  There are some huge names on the market next year and only a few teams with space to work.  If he can get a deal now for 3 or 4 years he should jump on that. 

And fire his idiot agent.

chipc3    0
9 minutes ago, Gradey said:

JAM is working himself into a real mess. IMO he needs to get a deal signed asap.  The QO isn't really going to do him much good either since next offseason appears to be even worse for mid/low tier FAs than this one does.  There are some huge names on the market next year and only a few teams with space to work.  If he can get a deal now for 3 or 4 years he should jump on that. 

And fire his idiot agent.

May be that his power negotiating time has passed and he needs to accept the best deal he can get from the Grizzlies. Playing out his qualifying offer won't guarantee any offers next summer either when finances will be even tighter. 

Two summers ago the new NBA contract kicked in and team had to spend 90% of the new money on salaries that year. There was no period of phasing in the contracts. Last summer the 2nd does of new TV floated in and teams once again had to spend at least 90% of the money on salaries. This year there was no new money and in fact the cap was lower than expected.

Once the major FA's got paid it left little left over for middle of the road players. Next year there will be no additional increase of TV money, there are a number of big name FA's (who will eat up the majority of the remaining money) and the others will be left with even slimmer pickings than this summer.  

Bottom line, nobody should be weeping for Jam.  He's still going to get life changing money in comparison to what he was making before.  If his agent convinced him he was going to easily get into 8 figures, then Jam will hopefully learn something and move forward, instead of be bitter about not hitting the grand slam.  He will only be signing a 3-year, so he needs to think about the future.  He can either get another similar deal or he can be on the cusp of being out of the league.  It's up to him.

cdp    0

Word on the streets is Jennings, D-Mo n Terrence Jones all headin overseas. Which begs the question of what the heck is this team gonna do if Jam does the same? Our depth would be Wright/Martin/Davis arguably the worst lookin PF lineup in the league.‎

edit- I guess they could sign Rabb then but that wouldn't make it any better

I don't really think it matters if JaM comes back or not. I mean seriously, it's not like we're talking about a difference of 15 wins or anything. He's a minor player. He plays decent defense and can hit a three once in a blue moon but he's totally ineffective on offense, decent rebounder but quite honestly, we need more rebounding especially with Marc hanging on the perimeter more. We lost our leading rebounder and that useless TA was 4th on our team in rebounding. JaM ain't gonna make up those 14 lost boards per game. We were 23 out of 30 in rebounding last year and it will only get worse. 

As it looks right now, we're probably going to be near the bottom of the league anyway in rebounding and his 0.7 made 3's per game ain't gonna do much. I'm actually fine with moving on from him, although I suspect he will be resigned.We have no beef off of the bench. We're going to get killed on the boards this year.

40 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I don't really think it matters if JaM comes back or not. I mean seriously, it's not like we're talking about a difference of 15 wins or anything. He's a minor player. He plays decent defense and can hit a three once in a blue moon but he's totally ineffective on offense, decent rebounder but quite honestly, we need more rebounding especially with Marc hanging on the perimeter more. We lost our leading rebounder and that useless TA was 4th on our team in rebounding. JaM ain't gonna make up those 14 lost boards per game. We were 23 out of 30 in rebounding last year and it will only get worse. 

As it looks right now, we're probably going to be near the bottom of the league anyway in rebounding and his 0.7 made 3's per game ain't gonna do much. I'm actually fine with moving on from him, although I suspect he will be resigned.We have no beef off of the bench. We're going to get killed on the boards this year.

Dude, where are you getting rebounding stats from? You're way off.

1 hour ago, Holidayinn21 said:

Dude, where are you getting rebounding stats from? You're way off.

Way off where? In 2016-17, TA was 4th on the team in rebounding at 5.5 and Z-Bo was first at 8.2. Add those 2 together and you get 13.7 which is roughly 14. We were 23rd in the league in rebounding. What numbers do you see?

4 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Way off where? In 2016-17, TA was 4th on the team in rebounding at 5.5 and Z-Bo was first at 8.2. Add those 2 together and you get 13.7 which is roughly 14. We were 23rd in the league in rebounding. What numbers do you see?

If it's the same stats Chip posted before I think the ranking doesn't show the true picture.  The number 23 ranking seemed to be based on raw rebounding numbers, which makes it obvious that a team like the Grizzlies slowing the pace down is going to substantially decrease the total possible rebound numbers.  We were 11th in rebounding differential, which seems a more accurate method of ranking, however, with the loss of Z-bo and Tony we will probably be dipping much lower.  The rebounding future is looking dim unless we get one of the young guys to really step up.

9 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

If it's the same stats Chip posted before I think the ranking doesn't show the true picture.  The number 23 ranking seemed to be based on raw rebounding numbers, which makes it obvious that a team like the Grizzlies slowing the pace down is going to substantially decrease the total possible rebound numbers.  We were 11th in rebounding differential, which seems a more accurate method of ranking, however, with the loss of Z-bo and Tony we will probably be dipping much lower.  The rebounding future is looking dim unless we get one of the young guys to really step up.

Yeah, just raw numbers but even if you look at rebound differential, I don't think that tells the true story. We still were not a good rebounding team last year and will be worse next year even if we re-sign JaM. 

13 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

most of TA and Zbo's rebounds came off of their own bricks.

20 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

You're using raw numbers. And even then, you have to apply context the Grizz played at the 3rd slowest pace. The team was top-10 in both OFF and DEF rebounding pct. JaM was the 2nd both those categories behind Zach.

The rebounding will be fine. It's not like it's been great for a while now.

Sources: After exploring NBA return, former Grizzlies/Nuggets guard Jamaal Franklin has agreed to a two-year, $4M deal w/ Sichuan in China.

If Franklin can get $2 mil per from China, I see no reason why JaM couldn't get $3-4 mil n China which is more than his outstanding QO offer. If he doesn't get any offers from other teams (and the money is drying up), why not go to China?

fanboyslim    0
3 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

If Franklin can get $2 mil per from China, I see no reason why JaM couldn't get $3-4 mil n China which is more than his outstanding QO offer. If he doesn't get any offers from other teams (and the money is drying up), why not go to China?

Because nobody in China pays that much. The highest paid foreign player in China was Andray Blatche who earned $2.5M.

59 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Because nobody in China pays that much. The highest paid foreign player in China was Andray Blatche who earned $2.5M.

Well, that's still more than his QO.

Also, there's this from an ESPN China reporter:

Coral Lu @CoralLu1
 Follow
More

Source said CBA team Shandong Golden Stars offered Michael Beasley a 3-year, $15 million contract to convince him to play in China

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

Most?  Yeah, that's not exaggerating.

well I have to give a lil credit to ta...he was pretty good on the offensive rebs..because he was usually left wide open on that end of the court...bt we all are familiar with z-bo's zbounds, bt then again ta would get the offreb and just chuck up some wild *** attempt at the rim.

At some point the front office should reach out with some sort of offer. Or talks. JAM is our projected starting forward. he's never getting 10/year from anywhere, and 8 seems a stretch, and it won't be any better next year. Get this done already

fanboyslim    0
3 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Well, that's still more than his QO.

Also, there's this from an ESPN China reporter:

Woah. That's serious money.

Dwash    0
7 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I think I saw a game where Franklin had like 60 points, 20 rebs and 18 assists in China. Dont know what JAM can do but he would have to prove his worth to get twice as much.

I could be wrong but the competition is so bad that it seems like going to China could be a NBA career death move.

fanboyslim    0

Keep in mind that unlike Franklin, Beasley, Jennings and other players going to China, JaM is a UFA., which means no hopes of coming back to the NBA unless it's through us.