Sign in to follow this  
Thomas

Mario Chalmers returns

cdp    0

Called it. He's got unfinished business here. If he's healthy (big if) he'll go down as the greatest backup PG we've ever had, sadly.

This should make Baldwin sweat a lil.‎

Well, we're the walking infirmed. He's basically the #1 backup G now, I can see him and Reke playing together. How many Kansas Gs do we have now? 3?

The good news is that it takes about a year to recover from this injury and by the time training camp starts it would have been a year and a half. I read that he was almost close to signing with CLE last season but didn't feel like himself so he walked away. He'll have a few more months to get into shape and test it out before training camp starts. If he can still come out and give us double digit points off of the bench and about 3-4 apg, that's huge. Much more than any of the current backup PGs can do. 

Interesting take from Woj:

Chalmers, 31, gets a chance to make the Grizzlies' roster as a third point guard, with a head coach, David Fizdale, who worked with him for seven seasons as an assistant with the Miami Heat.

Now we have a backup pg.  If a young beats him out so be it.   He can shoot it which is needed in this league.

YO

He's  partially guaranteed so he can be waived at any time.

As I said in another thread, IF he is fully FIT AND MOBILE, he'll be good for us.

Welcome back Rio, happy for you brother, stay healthy and giv'em some GNG6!

chipc3    0
6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Wow the roster stands at 20. Baldwin and Harrison better hope Chalmers is rusty as hades cuz they are on the clock. 

Ivan Rabb isn't being offered a contract and is moving out of the place he was staying in Memphis. He apparently turned down an offer of a 2 way contract and the injury is worse than we've been told. 

Grizzlies will still have his rights just like they did when they traded for Harrison's draft rights so it isn't a total loss... yet.

i hope Mario surprises me because most players don't return from an Achilles tear. I can only remember Dominique Wilkins coming back to close to his former level of play. Kobe came back and was still good but nowhere near what he was before the injury.

MemphisX    0
6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Ivan Rabb isn't being offered a contract and is moving out of the place he was staying in Memphis. He apparently turned down an offer of a 2 way contract and the injury is worse than we've been told. 

Grizzlies will still have his rights just like they did when they traded for Harrison's draft rights so it isn't a total loss... yet.

i hope Mario surprises me because most players don't return from an Achilles tear. I can only remember Dominique Wilkins coming back to close to his former level of play. Kobe came back and was still good but nowhere near what he was before the injury.

Chris Wallace is a freaking joke.

Ndq0327    0

This Ivan Rabb news you just dropped so he's not going to sign a contract?

Ndq0327    0
Just now, MemphisX said:

Chris Wallace is a freaking joke.

Further proves my point we should have drafted somebody else

Thomas    0
6 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Is this ******* real? I don't understand how a team can **** it up so perfectly in the exact same way over and over like this.

Allen    0

I doubt he will beat out second year Harrison but he's a solid third guard. Baldwin and Wright are probably being shopped

lol, is this a joke?

We don't offer contracts to Tony and zbo, but Mario here we go. lolololololololololol Is that enough lolols.

Letting chris Wallace loose is dangerous. 

Subliminal    0
38 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

lol, is this a joke?

We don't offer contracts to Tony and zbo, but Mario here we go. lolololololololololol Is that enough lolols.

Letting chris Wallace loose is dangerous. 

Yes. You heard TA is bringing back ZBo right?

9 hours ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

Now we have a backup pg.  If a young beats him out so be it.   He can shoot it which is needed in this league.

YO

8 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

He's  partially guaranteed so he can be waived at any time.

As I said in another thread, IF he is fully FIT AND MOBILE, he'll be good for us.

Welcome back Rio, happy for you brother, stay healthy and giv'em some GNG6!

7 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

I really didn't see him coming back. Beyond thrilled. Rio!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, Allen said:

I doubt he will beat out second year Harrison but he's a solid third guard. Baldwin and Wright are probably being shopped

I don't see him beating out Fizz's fave Harrison for the backup spot. Fizz is 100% behind Harrison and wants Harrison to be successful. Rio could come in breaking ankles, dropping dimes and shooting 50% from 3 but he'd still be behind Harrison on the depth chart.

I think Fizz plans on going the Josh Pastner route and putting 4 guards out on the floor.

13 minutes ago, lions said:

we will be killed on the boards this years

We were near the bottom last year with Z-Bo. We'll be in a race to the bottom this year. There is no focus on rebounding only on getting more guards so that we can run up and down the court shooting 3's, you know, Fizz ball. 

SC Grizz    0
9 hours ago, chipc3 said:

At what point does someone realize that just about any educated person could be making more well-informed decisions than the CW-led scouting department?

As someone else said, how many times are we going to draft guys who are injured? It is one thing if they are injured after we draft them, but drafting currently injured player OR signing them to massive contracts is inexcusable particularly for a franchise that has our track record of making this same mistake time and again.  

GF#1    0

I think this is mostly to generate more fear and competition among the guards that are already on the roster.

But, if he's even 90% of what he was, he definitely serves a purpose. But I'm with ODK, I think Harrison is locked in to the backup PG spot until I see reason to suggest otherwise. Which I'm cool with. I think he's got promise.