tennesseessio

Carmelo Facilitation Cooperation

Memphis Trades: Brandon Wright, James Ennis, Wade Baldwin

Memphis Receives: Cody Zeller

Charlotte Trades: Cody Zeller

Charlotte Receives: Eric Gordon

Houston Trades: Eric Gordon

Houston Receives: Brandon Wright, James Ennis, Wade Baldwin

- The Hornets make a lateral move to get scoring at SG. They traded for Dwight Howard and probably intend to use him, so it looks like Zeller isn't as important to them as Gordon would be. Right now their SGs are Lamb and the rookie Monk - not very imposing.

- The Rockets get some expirings to use in a Carmelo trade. Wright and Ennis are 9mil combined and they can add Ariza's 7.4mil to that to make a deal happen. Baldwin could be replaced with Harrison in the deal if that's what they (or NYK) like, or Martin or Daniels could be included. We also have two 2nds next year, and I doubt with all our young players that we'd really want to use both of them. The Hornets could provide Jeremy Lamb if we take out Baldwin. So there are some versatile parts to play around with.

- The Grizzlies get something really good for basically nothing. Zeller is a quality big on a good 4yrs 12.4mil contract who still has some upside. We are perilously thin in our frontcourt, Davis and Martin did not look ready in SL, and there is no guarantee Green will be resigned. Zeller averaged: 27.8mpg, 10.3ppg, 6.5rpg, 1.6apg, 0.9bpg, 1.0spg, 1.0topg, 57.1%fg, 6.79%ft. last year. Is that good enough to warrant putting Carmelo Anthony in the West? Will someone else just make it happen anyway? I don't know, but I just thought this was an interesting and plausible idea. Certainly Zeller is a good player, who would make US better. What do you think?

Memphis Grizzlies:

Conley, Harrison

Seldon, McLemore, Daniels, Brooks

Parsons, Evans, Zagorac

Zeller, Martin, Raab

Gasol, Davis

chipc3    0

I think Memphis gives up too much for a player I am not sold on personally. Ennis and Wright are both better players and Baldwin has much more upside potential than Zeller. 

Ennis and Wright are both better than Zeller? Baldwin has more upside? Why do you think that? You must really hate Cody Zeller. He's actually pretty solid, and appropriately contracted. He has increased his ppg, rpg, mpg, and fg% all 4 years he's been in the league. I just don't get why you'd think that.

chipc3    0
17 hours ago, tennesseessio said:

Ennis and Wright are both better than Zeller? Baldwin has more upside? Why do you think that? You must really hate Cody Zeller. He's actually pretty solid, and appropriately contracted. He has increased his ppg, rpg, mpg, and fg% all 4 years he's been in the league. I just don't get why you'd think that.

Zeller is increasing his production (and minutes which corresponds pretty closely to his production) on a team that has never been good and getting worse. Don't be fooled by players putting up middle of the road stats on bad teams. They rarely translate over to solid teams. 

I will concede he looks good when you only look at his PER rating but when you check his Win Score (a method I prefer to PER) then he doesn't look nearly as attractive. Wright has a higher PER and Win ScoreAlso, I believe, and this is just an impression, that he has maxed out his ability and won't be improving. Wright, when healthy, is a better player and Baldwin clearly has more upside potential in my opinion. He may never reach it but his athleticism is far superior to Zeller's. He just needs to learn how to play his position which isn't easy to learn. 

So you are trading a more effective player and a more talented player for Zeller. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Sorry. 

Well, I'm not really in love with Zeller or anything so no need for sorrys. I just think your forgetting a few things about Wright. He is usu. injured and plays mostly against backups when he does play. I don't know about PER and Win Score, but Cody is more productive statistically than Wright. If Wright was worthy of more mpgs then he would get them, but he doesn't b/c he isn't worthy. Zeller is. The Hornets aren't really a bad team either, they're more mediocre. As for Baldwin's athletic ability you are wrong. Go back and check the numbers. Zeller is actually the superior athlete. Baldwin isn't even an average NBA athlete. I don't know why people insist on thinking that. He isn't quick, doesn't get off the floor well, and isn't explosive in any way. Zeller is quite spry and springy on the other hand. He posted better jumping numbers at the combine than Baldwin even though he's 7ft and carries 25 more lbs.

chipc3    0
44 minutes ago, tennesseessio said:

Well, I'm not really in love with Zeller or anything so no need for sorrys. I just think your forgetting a few things about Wright. He is usu. injured and plays mostly against backups when he does play. I don't know about PER and Win Score, but Cody is more productive statistically than Wright. If Wright was worthy of more mpgs then he would get them, but he doesn't b/c he isn't worthy. Zeller is. The Hornets aren't really a bad team either, they're more mediocre. As for Baldwin's athletic ability you are wrong. Go back and check the numbers. Zeller is actually the superior athlete. Baldwin isn't even an average NBA athlete. I don't know why people insist on thinking that. He isn't quick, doesn't get off the floor well, and isn't explosive in any way. Zeller is quite spry and springy on the other hand. He posted better jumping numbers at the combine than Baldwin even though he's 7ft and carries 25 more lbs.

Cody only looks more productive because he played more minutes. If his per minute production wasn't as high you would more clearly see how ineffective he is on offense. 

In your mind Wright didn't get minutes because he was injured and he didn't get minutes because he wasn't worthy. Personally I believe he didn't get minutes because he was injured and Gasol eats a lot of minutes ahead of him. If it is safe to assume Gasol gets 33 minutes a night then there are only 15 minutes left for Zeller instead of the 30 he was getting in Charlotte last season.

Add on top of that you surrendering James Ennis too. I just don't see how this makes the Grizzlies stronger. Those three players should be worth more than Cody Zeller. Of course, Memphis traded Speights, Ellington and a 1st rd pick for Jon Leuer so who knows?  

Then of course we have the small issue of improving a divisional opponent in your deal.