The Truth is OUT

Hello, Dillon Brooks!

It's just one game but he looked good. The thing that I liked most was he seemed to be in the right place in the right time, had a good feel for the game and was a good teammate. If you can find a guy with a high motor and high BBIQ, they should be able to contribute. As was mentioned in the game thread though, let's not forget a rookie had a good first game last year too but i think Brooks is a lot more humble, has a better BBIQ and plays within his limitations. 

11 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Oh yeah - you know I'm bumping this after tonight.

BNA Breaker got some crow to eat ūü§£

15 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

It's just one game but he looked good. The thing that I liked most was he seemed to be in the right place in the right time, had a good feel for the game and was a good teammate. If you can find a guy with a high motor and high BBIQ, they should be able to contribute. As was mentioned in the game thread though, let's not forget a rookie had a good first game last year too but i think Brooks is a lot more humble, has a better BBIQ and plays within his limitations. 

IMO Brooks looked better than Baldwin. Brooks also was a much better college player. He played for 3 yrs, was an All American and PAC 12 player of the year. He may not play this well always but I think he’ll be a consistent contributor.

On 7/16/2017 at 9:49 AM, The Truth is OUT said:

Surely this guy deserves his own thread by now.

I have been waiting a long time for us to get a budding star in the 2nd round.  That crazy pick that always seems to blow up for the Spurs or somebody.  

He's still a rookie and he's going to remind us all of that this year, but I'm going on record.  This is going to be the lowest draft pick we've ever had to take for himself - and I emphasize the word "take", as in, he will undoubtedly have earned, due to his level of play - a starting role with this team.  It may not even happen this season.  But certainly by next year.  The only thing that would keep him out is politics, if it's between him and Parsons and they do the easy move of playing the higher paid player first.

You can call this Summer League fever if you want, but everything about this guy made no sense why we were getting him at 45.  This was the Pac-12 Player of the Year.

I dare not dream he get to this level, but I remind you of the NFL draft that had what was considered 6 sure-fire pro-bowl QBs of the future in its draft.  But the last one to be picked was Dan Marino.  There were a lot of Pac-12 players picked ahead of Brooks, yet he was the player of the year in that league.  Maybe he has some non-prototypical things about his physique or game, but he is obviously a baller, in a league that had many of them this season.

And I'm glad we have him.

All I can say is...

score 1 for The Truth is Out 

and 

score 1 W for the Grizzlies!!!

32 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

To your point, the most impressive thing for me was that he seemed to always be around the basketball making an impact. You can tell the kid really loves to play basketball, which if nothing else is a refreshing difference from the aforementioned Wade Baldwin.

40 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

The thing I liked was he scored 19 points. All this "extra" stuff you adding to it. And he did it within the offense.

11 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

To your point, the most impressive thing for me was that he seemed to always be around the basketball making an impact. You can tell the kid really loves to play basketball, which if nothing else is a refreshing difference from the aforementioned Wade Baldwin.

The IQ assures that he will stay on the court.  When he shot the free throw line jumper then quickly chased it down, this was just one beautiful play to me. He is just a heads up player. But then if he continues to improve his ability to knock down open jumpers he becomes more deadly. Then in a few years if he adds or masters one on one scoring ability...he becomes a monster. This is the development steps that guys like Kawai and Butler took.

I just hopes as he becomes a scorer that he never loses that hustle in him.

I've loved the Brooks pick and always felt he was our best draft pick from this and last year. His pedigree is the same as Malcolm Brogdon essentially. Great college player, high IQ, competitive, motor. Guys like that succeed.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:37 PM, Grizzfan7979 said:

1) It can be 2 things

2) Brooks is going to have a better NBA career than anybody we've drafted the past 4 years with the possible exception of deyonta davis.

High bball IQ, scoring, and competitiveness are skills that translate well to the NBA

Low bball IQ, low motor, poor shooting etc are skills that do not, which you can apply to basically all our other draft picks in varying combinations

Right, what I said 3 months ago. At least I'm consistent

3 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Dillon Brooks reminds me of Chris Mullin, will go down as one of the best steals in nba history

ūüėü

1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Dillon Brooks reminds me of Chris Mullin, will go down as one of the best steals in nba history

The most positive post you've ever made. Hopefully wasn't sarcastic.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

The IQ assures that he will stay on the court.  When he shot the free throw line jumper then quickly chased it down, this was just one beautiful play to me. He is just a heads up player. But then if he continues to improve his ability to knock down open jumpers he becomes more deadly. Then in a few years if he adds or masters one on one scoring ability...he becomes a monster. This is the development steps that guys like Kawai and Butler took.

I just hopes as he becomes a scorer that he never loses that hustle in him.

It wouldn't surprise me if this is his season high in points. I hope not, but it very well could be. I'll see how he's doing after 10 games.

To me, his BBIQ and understanding of his limitations (and knowing how to play within those limitations) makes him a valuable asset to this team. We haven't had a guy who just hustles like that in a long time, probably since TA was healthy. Those players really help your team when you have talent. Draymond Green has made a living playing like that and racking up triple doubles, just being in the right place in the right time and hitting open shots while the defense focuses on the more talented players. I would be beyond thrilled if he somehow becomes 03-04 James Posey. 

Brooks will be the reason Ennis gets traded at the deadline #Boldstatement

It's only one game, but I'm telling you guys this kid can flat out play!   All Star soon!

24 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Brooks will be the reason Ennis gets traded at the deadline #Boldstatement

Ennis had ample opportunity to prove himself last year and didn't take advantage of it. Although he took Parsons starting spot, Brooks took minutes away from Ennis in the game last night, which really speaks to how screwed up our SG/SF situation is. 

I know its only one game but I feel confident saying we finally got a good one in Dillon Brooks.  Don't know how good he's going to be but he's a rotation player, no D-League.  Brooks should have gotten that guaranteed 3 year contract that the Grizzlies gave to Rade.  SMH...

Why are they paying Rade over a million a year even with him being cut?  That dude may never be able to play NBA ball.  If the team keeps playing like this, we will have some potential trade pieces that other teams may actually covet for once.

I said this a couple years ago around draft time when I was advocating drafting Kyle Anderson give me skills and basketball Iq over an athlete every day

Love what I saw out of him. He's not going to score 19+ a game every night and maybe not even 10+, but you can definitely see the bball IQ and work ethic. He knows the game and is actually a scorer (2nd in the PAC 12 in points per 40 mins). 

Too early to really give him a ceiling, but I'm hoping his floor is to be at least a high quality 3D guy. Anything more than that is true gift considering how unlucky we've been in the draft.

1 minute ago, BHZMAFIA said:

Love what I saw out of him. He's not going to score 19+ a game every night and maybe not even 10+, but you can definitely see the bball IQ and work ethic. He knows the game and is actually a scorer (2nd in the PAC 12 in points per 40 mins). 

Too early to really give him a ceiling, but I'm hoping his floor is to be at least a high quality 3D guy. Anything more than that is true gift considering how unlucky we've been in the draft.

I see him as more than a 3D player.  That's too l limiting.   He is a legit scorer moreso than just a shooter.  Plus he has enough ball-handling ability and high enough BBIQ to eventually become a secondary playmaker.    Defensively he will never be a lockdown guy so i wouldn't pigeonhole him as a 3D guy.  

Smart move would be too try to groom him and Ben to be the additional perimeter"scorers" to help Conley.   

40 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I see him as more than a 3D player.  That's too l limiting.   He is a legit scorer moreso than just a shooter.  Plus he has enough ball-handling ability and high enough BBIQ to eventually become a secondary playmaker.    Defensively he will never be a lockdown guy so i wouldn't pigeonhole him as a 3D guy.  

Smart move would be too try to groom him and Ben to be the additional perimeter"scorers" to help Conley.   

I can see him more than a 3D guy, but its his floor like I mentioned. I'm tailoring my expectations for the time being and just trying not to get too excited. 

Just now, BHZMAFIA said:

I can see him more than a 3D guy, but its his floor like I mentioned. I'm tailoring my expectations for the time being and just trying not to get too excited. 

C'mon man! Drink the Kool-aid!

LOL nah i respect that approach.