The Truth is OUT

Hello, Dillon Brooks!

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Who's giving Rade a huge pass? Don't you believe people are factoring that as a reason he dropped in the draft? Rade is taller which can help offset the lack of foot speed. 

I believe everyone is hoping Brooks, Rade and Rabb develop into an excellent players and can contribute to the continuing success of the franchise. Everyone wants both players to succeed. Why does anyone have to look for reasons to degrade our players? 

I have been listening to a ton of summer league evaluations and alot of them state that SL isn't a good place to evaluate him.   He will look better with NBA players.  They basically excuse his poor SL showing yet blast Wade, DD, and Kobi for there's.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I have been listening to a ton of summer league evaluations and alot of them state that SL isn't a good place to evaluate him.   He will look better with NBA players.  They basically excuse his poor SL showing yet blast Wade, DD, and Kobi for there's.  

Turn off the talk show radio buddy. They are giving the company line. Once again people are hoping for the best. There is nothing wrong with that. I personally agree with the concept that this isn't a good format for Rade, Davis or even Martin. It's a very fast paced league with very selfish play for the most part. I would be lying if I said I didn't have reservations about Baldwin, Davis, Martin, Rade and even Brooks but I'm not going to blast them (or overly credit them) based on summer league play. 

It may be that you are getting overly sensitive about comments being made toward your favorites also. I can't imagine anyone wasting time "blasting" Kobi for his summer league play for example. Pointing out the areas he needs to develop isn't blasting someone after all. Rade didn't show a lot so there is less to criticize maybe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It may be that you are getting overly sensitive about comments being made toward your favorites also. I can't imagine anyone wasting time "blasting" Kobi for his summer league play for example. Pointing out the areas he needs to develop isn't blasting someone after all. Rade didn't show a lot so there is less to criticize maybe. 

Not being overly sensitive just notice a trend.  I am just stating that Rade didn't look good in the SL just like the majority of the others.  Yet some personalities excused it due to format but didn't carry that same logic over to the other players.  Rade doesn't look like he deserves a full contract this season anymore than Kobi does.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not being overly sensitive just notice a trend.  I am just stating that Rade didn't look good in the SL just like the majority of the others.  Yet some personalities excused it due to format but didn't carry that same logic over to the other players.  Rade doesn't look like he deserves a full contract this season anymore than Kobi does.   

Who is complaining (outside of you of course)? You clearly have an issue with Rade's contract. That's the real reason you are bringing this up. That is your opinion and I'm fine with you having it. Don't try and throw others under the bus to cover this up however. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not being overly sensitive just notice a trend.  I am just stating that Rade didn't look good in the SL just like the majority of the others.  Yet some personalities excused it due to format but didn't carry that same logic over to the other players.  Rade doesn't look like he deserves a full contract this season anymore than Kobi does.   

Rade doesn't come over without a guaranteed contract, so it was either that or him re-signing in Europe and not coming possibly ever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chipc3 said:

Who is complaining (outside of you of course)? You clearly have an issue with Rade's contract. That's the real reason you are bringing this up. That is your opinion and I'm fine with you having it. Don't try and throw others under the bus to cover this up however. . 

Not gonna list out the names bud; like i said i listened to a ton of SL podcasts and radio.    

Yes, i am complaining about Rade's contract because we still have 16 guys under contract and no starting PF.   Dude isn't ready to contribute this year so it would have made more sense to keep his rights overseas.   Now the team is forced to trade or waive players just to get roster down.  It isn't like he is Toni Kukoc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Not gonna list out the names bud; like i said i listened to a ton of SL podcasts and radio.    

Yes, i am complaining about Rade's contract because we still have 16 guys under contract and no starting PF.   Dude isn't ready to contribute this year so it would have made more sense to keep his rights overseas.   Now the team is forced to trade or waive players just to get roster down.  It isn't like he is Toni Kukoc. 

You are basing this belief that Rade can't contribute based on the summer league or did you hear this on one of your numerous SL podcasts? 

Besides, we don't need JaM back as starting PF do we? Can't Fizdale just coach up one of the numerous bigs the team has under contract just like he did with Harrison last year? 

Haven't you been demanding Martin and Wright be traded all summer anyway?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Actually Dillon Brooks was given a 6' 6" wingspan at the NBA pre-draft workouts. Harden had a 6'10 3/4" wingspan. Brooks had a 8' 4" standing reach while Harden had a 8' 7 1/2" standing reach.  

I don't know if that is a flaw in your argument or just a mistake on your phone. Often times numbers are hard to read on a phone. 

Their stats are listed here so everyone can make up their own minds on how similar the two players are statistically. 

 

Just going off what google says when you type in wingspan for respective players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Rade doesn't come over without a guaranteed contract, so it was either that or him re-signing in Europe and not coming possibly ever.

so would we have lost his rights if he resigns?   Even if we did lose his rights  i don't think its a big loss.  He just seems at best a backup level SF.  

 

8 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You are basing this belief that Rade can't contribute based on the summer league or did you hear this on one of your numerous SL podcasts? 

SL and other video.  I just wasn't impressed but he is signed so i will root for him as long as he is a Grizzly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

so would we have lost his rights if he resigns?   Even if we did lose his rights  i don't think its a big loss.  He just seems at best a backup level SF.

No, we keep his NBA rights, but if he signs a new contract in Europe it will probably be a multi year deal with no easy NBA out, and if he does improve we won't be able to pay him enough to take the leap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fanboyslim said:

No, we keep his NBA rights, but if he signs a new contract in Europe it will probably be a multi year deal with no easy NBA out, and if he does improve we won't be able to pay him enough to take the leap.

Thanks!

I still would've waited due to the roster crunch.   Seems extremely shortsighted drafting 2 more rookies and promising them contracts when you know Rade is coming over.  Either don't draft both Dillon and Rabb or don't sign Rade. 

I wonder if Wallace moved quickly because of lack of faith in Parsons.

Rade projects to have the closest potential skillset to Parsons on the roster.  Getting him in the fold now can potentially make moving on from Parsons come sooner than later if CP doesn't recover fully. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Confuses me as to why people think Brooks is a sure shot to make the roster. He's a 45th pick who hasn't proven anythin yet. He'll most likely be on the dleague team this year n get his chance next year. Hopefully Zag steps up into Ennis' backup spot next year as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Thanks!

I still would've waited due to the roster crunch.   Seems extremely shortsighted drafting 2 more rookies and promising them contracts when you know Rade is coming over.  Either don't draft both Dillon and Rabb or don't sign Rade. 

I wonder if Wallace moved quickly because of lack of faith in Parsons.

Rade projects to have the closest potential skillset to Parsons on the roster.  Getting him in the fold now can potentially make moving on from Parsons come sooner than later if CP doesn't recover fully. 

Only problem is there isn't a buffoon goofy enough in this league to take Parsons off our hands if he proves to not be right this season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Only problem is there isn't a buffoon goofy enough in this league to take Parsons off our hands if he proves to not be right this season.  

Who is GMing the Knicks nowadays??

After next season it won't be as painful to just stretch provision his contract if he still isn't healthy.  

 

Truthfully the reason I hope Tyreke, Chalmers and Harrison workout for us is because i have little faith in Parsons.  

Those 3 guys are the most capable of playing alongside Conley this upcoming season and minimizing the affect of a "bum" Parsons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Only problem is there isn't a buffoon goofy enough in this league to take Parsons off our hands if he proves to not be right this season.  

We don't know that. There are a lot of buffoons in the league after all. ;)

Personally I believe the entire discussion is based on personal assumptions. The Grizzlies have not signed 2nd round draft picks in each of the last two drafts heading into this summer's draft. Both players are currently on the Grizzlies roster. There doesn't appear to be a need to sign a 2nd round pick just to have him remain in the G League all season. It worked for both Harrison and Zagorac, neither of whom were offered contracts after they were traded for in the draft. Brooks and Rabb could possibly be heading down the same route. 

If the Grizzlies FO goes back on their words about expecting the rookies to compete immediately and not offering them 2 way contracts (which seems to be the case for at least one of the picks so far), then they still own those players rights and have plenty of space to sign Rade as well insuring he remains here instead of in Europe for the next few seasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

We don't know that. There are a lot of buffoons in the league after all. ;)

Personally I believe the entire discussion is based on personal assumptions. The Grizzlies have not signed 2nd round draft picks in each of the last two drafts heading into this summer's draft. Both players are currently on the Grizzlies roster. There doesn't appear to be a need to sign a 2nd round pick just to have him remain in the G League all season. It worked for both Harrison and Zagorac, neither of whom were offered contracts after they were traded for in the draft. Brooks and Rabb could possibly be heading down the same route. 

If the Grizzlies FO goes back on their words about expecting the rookies to compete immediately and not offering them 2 way contracts (which seems to be the case for at least one of the picks so far), then they still own those players rights and have plenty of space to sign Rade as well insuring he remains here instead of in Europe for the next few seasons. 

Well unfortunately it seems as if the king of the buffoons is making our personnel decisions. <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Well unfortunately it seems as if the king of the buffoons is making our personnel decisions. <_<

patience_grasshopper.jpg?fit=450,299

Wallace may appear a fool right now but I want to see what happens between now and training camp before making rash decisions. He has gotten the Grizzlies, without a superstar, into the playoffs for 7 straights post seasons. It's frustrating right now because no one can seem to find a method to his madness but I suspect things will clear up as the season approaches. 

After all, is there any alternative to this way of thinking? I can't be one of those people who complains about every move and if they turn out wrong just act like it was never said and move on to the next complaint. I am frustrated by the FO saying things like we expect our rookies to compete right away and we won't be offering them 2 way deals only to hear rumors that 2 way deals are being offered and it's possible they won't even be signed. Still I have to hope that there is a plan and all will be revealed one day.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shams Charania‏Verified account @ShamsCharania

Sources: The Memphis Grizzlies have signed No. 45 overall pick Dillon Brooks of Oregon to a three-year rookie deal, w/ two years guaranteed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm cool with signing Brooks to a full contract. The guys has great intangibles and fantastic looking shot. Ennis is no longer needed in my opinion.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, New_Sacred_Cow said:

I'm cool with signing Brooks to a full contract. The guys has great intangibles and fantastic looking shot. Ennis is no longer needed in my opinion.

 

Michael WallaceVerified account @MyMikeCheck

Dillon Brooks impressed Grizzlies staff and by showing a bit more athleticism and defensive motor in SL than some skeptics thought he had.

@MyMikeCheck

His offensive skill set, body & mentality were always seen as mature. That's why Grizz chased trades draft night in 2nd round to get him.

100%

Out of all the young guys on our roster.  Dillon and Wayne are without a doubt the most exciting prospects.    Only problem with trading Ennis is that he is the only SF with size that can actually defend.    Parsons and Rade will never be even average defensively.  Selden is only 6'5'.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

100%

Out of all the young guys on our roster.  Dillon and Wayne are without a doubt the most exciting prospects.    Only problem with trading Ennis is that he is the only SF with size that can actually defend.    Parsons and Rade will never be even average defensively.  Selden is only 6'5'.  

Draft Express lists his height at 6'5 3/4" in shoes. James Ennis was listed at 6'7" in shoes

For defensive purposes, people have been comparing wingspan as well. Selden's wingspan is 6' 10 1/2" while Ennis' is 6' 11 1/2"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Draft Express lists his height at 6'5 3/4" in shoes. James Ennis was listed at 6'7" in shoes

For defensive purposes, people have been comparing wingspan as well. Selden's wingspan is 6' 10 1/2" while Ennis' is 6' 11 1/2"

Closer than i thought.  Are you comfortable with Rade and Brooks being Parson's backups?       I am not opposed to moving on from Ennis my only hesitation is purely around the other SF's on the roster being so limited defensively.   

If Tyreke was more defensive-minded it would make Ennis more expendable too.   It's just we have so many giant SF's in the West now (6'10 Paul George, 6'9 Rudy, 6'11 KD) that we need atleast one defender that can almost matchup sizewise.  Ennis is all we got. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Closer than i thought.  Are you comfortable with Rade and Brooks being Parson's backups?       I am not opposed to moving on from Ennis my only hesitation is purely around the other SF's on the roster being so limited defensively.   

If Tyreke was more defensive-minded it would make Ennis more expendable too.   It's just we have so many giant SF's in the West now (6'10 Paul George, 6'9 Rudy, 6'11 KD) that we need atleast one defender that can almost matchup sizewise.  Ennis is all we got. 

No. However, I see Evans as the 2nd team SF. His 3 knee operations doesn't portend well to him defending PG's anymore.

Losing TA is going to be felt. It's been a long time since I worried about players going off on the team on a regular basis. Now I'm concerned it will be a repeating nightmare. Selden and Ennis are the best the team has and they didn't exactly slow down Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

No. However, I see Evans as the 2nd team SF. His 3 knee operations doesn't portend well to him defending PG's anymore.

Losing TA is going to be felt. It's been a long time since I worried about players going off on the team on a regular basis. Now I'm concerned it will be a repeating nightmare. Selden and Ennis are the best the team has and they didn't exactly slow down Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs.  

But players had been going off on TA for the last two years...Like the fact people believe he was still a shutdown defender baffles me. I remember a Portland game last year where McCollum went off and TA didn't shut him down. I remember Zach Lavine and DeRozen both lightning TA up....So why are we pretending that he would be helpful anymore, the days of him shutting someone day are likely gone.

 

Oh and the year KD was deemed Mr. Unreliable he still dropped 30+ on  TA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

No. However, I see Evans as the 2nd team SF. His 3 knee operations doesn't portend well to him defending PG's anymore.

Losing TA is going to be felt. It's been a long time since I worried about players going off on the team on a regular basis. Now I'm concerned it will be a repeating nightmare. Selden and Ennis are the best the team has and they didn't exactly slow down Kawhi Leonard in the playoffs.  

 

Yeah, but, we're already famous for letting role players and middle of the roster guys have career nights against us.

I think we should be clear about Tony Allen's strength: It was on-ball, against ball dominant scorers. Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Chris Paul, etc. Kobe Bryant.

Let's be clear about Tony Allen's weakness: Ball movement, backdoors, flares, off-ball screens. Tony Allen was much less of an asset against the Spurs than against any other team, followed by teams like the Hawks or the Jazz. 

Tony Allen's other strength was just dogged tenacity and desire, on both ends. When he wanted to, he was going to leave his heart and soul on the floor, even in a loss. But that came and went enough that he was mostly a big-game player, who more often than not, ended up not being 100% or not being around at all for the Playoffs.

I, like most Memphians, LOVED Tony Allen when he was healthy, and he was dialed in and motivated, AND it was the right match-up. Which, again, was typically a ball-dominant superstar in a big game atmosphere. That love, that most people felt, translated into an out-sized impression and emotional attachment to Tony's persona that seemed to be immune at times to fact or criticism. When Tony Allen took on Fizdale and tried to buck his authority, by far most in this city excused it or overlooked it entirely. 

I think the main thing with Tony Allen is that his body and his defensive prowess are waning, AND that his principal defensive strength is becoming less valuable as the NBA changes. A few years ago, most of the top teams were built around high scoring superstars, who gobbled up enormous usage rates for their team's offense. Now, the League has a clear trend, transforming in the mold of Gregg Popovich and Steve Kerr. Tony Allen's defensive strength is worth less, his defensive weakness is exposed more, and his offense hurts more. Add to that the injury history and his attitude problems and that's why the front office decided to move on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now