Sign in to follow this  
memgrizzlies321

Ben McLemore's Emotional Reaction To Hearing Grizz Signed Him

14 hours ago, bhoyal said:

None of the all-time leading scorers in NBA history had the first name "Ben."  Few even had a 3-letter first name.

Tim Duncan

Ray Allen

That's about it.  There were a few good players named "Bob" - Lanier, Petit, Cousey plus "Don" Havlicek 

Hal Green and Pau Gasol get three letter first name honorable mention.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**obvious sarcasm alert  

And former Piston Ben Wallace, a good defensive player and rebounder. Can't leave him out.

3 minutes ago, BLUEandGOLD said:

Wish I were an "Insider".

It lists 5 players signing contracts that were bad for the teams. One was Jeff Green. Two was Ben McLemore. Three was Bojan Bogdanovic. Four was Kyle Korver. Last was JJ Reddick. 

Ben McLemoreMemphis GrizzliesShooting guardTwo years, $11 million

Last season, McLemore was ranked 455th out of 468 NBA players in real plus-minus thanks to being well below average in essentially every box score stat that doesn't involve shooting. Among guards, his 1.6 assists per 36 minutes were ninth worst, and his 0.9 steals were 20th worst. His 0.2 blocks were 28th-worst leaguewide, and his assist-to-turnover ratio of less than 1.0 was nothing to write home about, either.

McLemore's shooting numbers aren't terrible -- he made 38 percent of his 3-pointers and had a true shooting percentage (TS%) that was almost average at 53 percent -- but he'd need to score a lot more points to offset all of his other disastrous box score stats.

At age 24, it's unlikely that we'll see significant improvements from him.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:22 AM, bhoyal said:

That's about it.  There were a few good players named "Bob" - Lanier, Petit, Cousey plus "Don" Havlicek 

You might have meant Don Nelson, not John Havlicek.  There were also a few stars from the past named "Tom" who might bear mention.

26 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

It lists 5 players signing contracts that were bad for the teams. One was Jeff Green. Two was Ben McLemore. Three was Bojan Bogdanovic. Four was Kyle Korver. Last was JJ Reddick. 

But but but...he's athletic and I hear that he's athletic, you know he's athletic right? And he was a lottery pick and he's athletic and he's had 4 coaches in 4 years, anybody but TA causw he sucks na na nuh na na

Sarcasm aside. As I said when we signed, there are legit concerns about his game which have nothing to do with what ever went on in Sac Town.

49 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

But but but...he's athletic and I hear that he's athletic, you know he's athletic right? And he was a lottery pick and he's athletic and he's had 4 coaches in 4 years, anybody but TA causw he sucks na na nuh na na

Sarcasm aside. As I said when we signed, there are legit concerns about his game which have nothing to do with what ever went on in Sac Town.

I agree. 

51 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I think the hope is that Fizdale will be the potential whisperer and somehow get Ben McLemore to produce at a higher level than he's shown he is capable of.

40 minutes ago, Michael D said:

I think the hope is that Fizdale will be the potential whisperer and somehow get Ben McLemore to produce at a higher level than he's shown he is capable of.

How many people can Fizz develop next season:

-Ben McLemore

-Andrew Harrison

-Wade Baldwin

-Wayne Selden

-Dillon Brooks

-Deyonta Davis

-Jarell Martin

-Rade Zagorac

When is he going to coach when he's doing all of this one on one developing? BTW, who did he develop and turn around in Miami?

I think people are expecting way too much.

That's what I was hinting at.  BMac doesn't really work to our benefit unless Fizdale is able to work some of the magic that people think he has in development.  I think that is one of the main reasons the Grizzlies wanted him as a coach.  If BMac is starting the hope will be that he improves and breaks out of his shell.

A lot of the moves made by the FO such as signing Parsons, BMac, and a few others all depend on hope.  I do think he's being expected to do too much but I could be wrong, I mean they are paying him millions per year to get the team to reach their potential.

I think Fizdale's main strength may lie in communication and convincing players to focus on aspects of their game that they already have the tools to do and also convincing guys to accept their role (ZBo coming off the bench).  If that's true, then BMac and everyone else that he works with will only be doing more of what he's shown he is capable of.  I have to admit I've never really paid attention to BMac as a player, so I'll just have to take everyone's word that he is a horrible defender, but Fizdale's job will be to get him to buy in and do things on the court that maximize his strengths and hides his weaknesses.  Fizdale didn't make Gasol a great three point shooter.  Anyone that knows the Grizzlies already knew that Gasol could shoot the lights out and some of us always wanted Joerger to have him shoot at least some threes once in a while.  If he could get Gasol's stubborn butt to change his game up a little bit by moving farther away from the basket maybe he can get the other guys like BMac to switch up their games to maxmize their positives.  Its a big IF though.

I saw Fizdale screw some things up during the season like throwing Daniels in with two minutes left and expecting him to shoot the Grizzlies back into the game a few too many times.  He had a few missteps but overall if you look at the job he did as a rookie coach getting the vets to by in and accept diminished roles he proved that he may be capable of getting this team to improve.

I'll tell you what, if Fizdale can get more production out of BMac and Reke has a decent year some of you guys that are so down on the team and skeptical of the organization are going to have to tone it down a bit.  I mean we could be San Antonio with Popovic and you guys would still be complaining.  This team has a lot of question marks.  We literally have no idea how these guys will fit, expecially with major locker room presences like ZBo and possibly Allen gone.  If this season ends in the playoffs everyone predicting 30 wins is going to wind up looking stupid.

I hope that Ben can seize this opportunity to earn minutes in front of dudes like Wayne, Tyreke and Daniels. If not then he will be in Europe after his current contract.

It is just funny to see the attitude of folks who seem to not want him to succeed though. If the argument is whether historical evidence is on his side then I guess this was a bad signing and he is doomed to failure based on his past in the NBA. However, there have been plenty of players over the years to have a breakout season after simply moving to a new team and situation... 

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

Philly is still below the minimum salary threshold. They dumped $23M on Redick in order to get closer to the minimum (which they would have to pay regardless), and the contract is only for one year, saving the space for a max contract for Embiid next summer. How is that a bad contract for the Sixers?

Sorry but it's hard to give a lot of weight to the opinion of an analyst that only looks at real plus-minus to estimate the value of a contract, while ignoring all other circumstances.

Ben McLemore's is a low risk, high reward signing. If he doesn't elevate his game, no big deal, we're talking of a Wright/Daniels/Ennis type of contract (and I'd be shocked if he didn't produce more than those three). But if he somehow "gets" it and starts delivering then we have the inside track to re-sign him long term (we'd have early Bird rights, allowing us to offer him more than the MLE if needed). It doesn't sound like a bad contract to me.

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Philly is still below the minimum salary threshold. They dumped $23M on Redick in order to get closer to the minimum (which they would have to pay regardless), and the contract is only for one year, saving the space for a max contract for Embiid next summer. How is that a bad contract for the Sixers?

Sorry but it's hard to give a lot of weight to the opinion of an analyst that only looks at real plus-minus to estimate the value of a contract, while ignoring all other circumstances.

Ben McLemore's is a low risk, high reward signing. If he doesn't elevate his game, no big deal, we're talking of a Wright/Daniels/Ennis type of contract (and I'd be shocked if he didn't produce more than those three). But if he somehow "gets" it and starts delivering then we have the inside track to re-sign him long term (we'd have early Bird rights, allowing us to offer him more than the MLE if needed). It doesn't sound like a bad contract to me.

I agree. McLemore and Gasol are the only Grizzlies that shot above the league average both at the rim and from 3pt range last season. If he can just play average D he should do well this year.

10 hours ago, Father Pat said:

I agree. McLemore and Gasol are the only Grizzlies that shot above the league average both at the rim and from 3pt range last season. If he can just play average D he should do well this year.

Right, i don't get the Ben Mac hate.   No one should be expecting him to become a star player or primary scorer.    If JaM's offseason didn't go sideways; Ben would be the lowest paid starter in the lineup.   Which tells me he is slotted to be just a complimentary role player.  

His job will be to play solid team defense and hit open shots when feed the ball (space the floor).  He has already shown to be capable of doing just that.   We don't need him to be a Star.   Basically be "Courtney Lee that actually shoots the ball when open" and his Grizz career will be a roaring success. 

All the heavy lifting in that lineup will be done by Mike, Marc, and Chandler.  JaM and BenMc are the role players. 

17 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

How many people can Fizz develop next season:

-Ben McLemore

-Andrew Harrison

-Wade Baldwin

-Wayne Selden

-Dillon Brooks

-Deyonta Davis

-Jarell Martin

-Rade Zagorac

When is he going to coach when he's doing all of this one on one developing? BTW, who did he develop and turn around in Miami?

I think people are expecting way too much.

Fizdale - HOPEFULLY - is developing a number of these players already. Just because games aren't being played in the summer doesn't mean conditioning and skills aren't being improved right now. Fizdale and the staff should be watching players working out at FedEx Forum and giving them precise lists of skills and conditioning areas they need to improve on. The "off-season" isn't really off-season anymore. Then there is the month of training camp, multiple coaches following Fizdale's instructions working with the players who aren't in the everyday rotation too. 

However, to put into the daily rotation I think he's limited to Selden, Harrison, McLemore and Davis. 

48 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Fizdale - HOPEFULLY - is developing a number of these players already. Just because games aren't being played in the summer doesn't mean conditioning and skills aren't being improved right now. Fizdale and the staff should be watching players working out at FedEx Forum and giving them precise lists of skills and conditioning areas they need to improve on. The "off-season" isn't really off-season anymore. Then there is the month of training camp, multiple coaches following Fizdale's instructions working with the players who aren't in the everyday rotation too. 

However, to put into the daily rotation I think he's limited to Selden, Harrison, McLemore and Davis. 

That's still a lot of players for 1 coach to "develop" while coaching, managing egos, managing injuries, managing rotations, managing expectations from the FO and fans, and trying to win games. I would think asst coaches would do most of the developing but at the end if the day, these are grown men. They need to understand if they don't develop, they will be out if the league. No one should have to hold their hand.

28 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

That's still a lot of players for 1 coach to "develop" while coaching, managing egos, managing injuries, managing rotations, managing expectations from the FO and fans, and trying to win games. I would think asst coaches would do most of the developing but at the end if the day, these are grown men. They need to understand if they don't develop, they will be out if the league. No one should have to hold their hand.

You mean being a head coach isn't easy? I'm shocked that you would even suggest such a thing! 

Look, I didn't name Fizdale the zen master developer of players and the man who was bringing a title to Memphis. Tell Wallace you think the job is too hard for Fizdale! 

And I agree 100% that it's on the players shoulders to develop. Some feel that they have reached the NBA so they don't have to work that hard. Others feel they should be given time on the court since they starred in high school and college. The players who work hardest on the weaknesses in their games are the ones who make coaches look like geniuses developing their young players. It's up to the FO to figure out which players will work and which one's won't. 

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Right, i don't get the Ben Mac hate.   No one should be expecting him to become a star player or primary scorer.    If JaM's offseason didn't go sideways; Ben would be the lowest paid starter in the lineup.   Which tells me he is slotted to be just a complimentary role player.  

His job will be to play solid team defense and hit open shots when feed the ball (space the floor).  He has already shown to be capable of doing just that.   We don't need him to be a Star.   Basically be "Courtney Lee that actually shoots the ball when open" and his Grizz career will be a roaring success. 

All the heavy lifting in that lineup will be done by Mike, Marc, and Chandler.  JaM and BenMc are the role players. 

1. Who's hating on McLemore?

2. I'm not sure if he has proven that he can consistently play team defense and his shooting is low volume.

McLemore reminds me of Stromile Swift. Not because of his game but this dreaded "potential" label or as this board dubbed it "Strotential". He's one of those guys who has the tools but doesn't always "get it". It doesn't seem to click with him.I hope he can do what you say but my hopes aren't that high. Four years is a long time. Few players just make a leap to get better after 4 years. No one is asking him to be a star, but he couldn't even be a consistent rotation player on horrible team.

Once again, I have no problem with the signing. With the money we had available, he's the type of player I expected us to sign.  I just see him as a taller Troy Daniels who doesn't have the gunner mentality that Troy does. I really don't see his inconsistent "team defense" giving us more than Troy's instant offense. People act like when TD is on the floor the only person that scores is the person TD guards which is ridiculous.  I see those two battling for minutes and although I think Fizz doesn't like TD nor do I think he wants TD in the team, all it's going to take is a game or 2 of TD catching on fire and hitting 3 or 4 3's in 12 minutes and I think McLemore will be forgotten 

Here's another good write-up on Ben. 

I expect Selden to outplay McLemore and move ahead of him on the depth chart and depending on the night, we will see either McLemore or TD (if he is still on the team) for 3rd string.

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

You mean being a head coach isn't easy? I'm shocked that you would even suggest such a thing! 

Look, I didn't name Fizdale the zen master developer of players and the man who was bringing a title to Memphis. Tell Wallace you think the job is too hard for Fizdale! 

And I agree 100% that it's on the players shoulders to develop. Some feel that they have reached the NBA so they don't have to work that hard. Others feel they should be given time on the court since they starred in high school and college. The players who work hardest on the weaknesses in their games are the ones who make coaches look like geniuses developing their young players. It's up to the FO to figure out which players will work and which one's won't. 

Actually what I am saying is that you have to prioritize and it is my contention that developing all of these players won't be high on Fizz's priority list. It will be up to the players and I agree, those who take the initiative will be the ones who make the coach look good, I don't expect McLemore to fall into that category.

6 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Actually what I am saying is that you have to prioritize and it is my contention that developing all of these players won't be high on Fizz's priority list. It will be up to the players and I agree, those who take the initiative will be the ones who make the coach look good, I don't expect McLemore to fall into that category.

I can only say I hope you are wrong. I want McLemore to succeed here despite his failures in the past. 

13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I can only say I hope you are wrong. I want McLemore to succeed here despite his failures in the past. 

I hope I am wrong too. I hope that  he can help the Grizz but I'm not holding my breath. If he does, great, it's a win win.

38 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

1. Who's hating on McLemore?

2. I'm not sure if he has proven that he can consistently play team defense and his shooting is low volume.

McLemore reminds me of Stromile Swift. Not because of his game but this dreaded "potential" label or as this board dubbed it "Strotential". He's one of those guys who has the tools but doesn't always "get it". It doesn't seem to click with him.I hope he can do what you say but my hopes aren't that high. Four years is a long time. Few players just make a leap to get better after 4 years. No one is asking him to be a star, but he couldn't even be a consistent rotation player on horrible team.

Once again, I have no problem with the signing. With the money we had available, he's the type of player I expected us to sign.  I just see him as a taller Troy Daniels who doesn't have the gunner mentality that Troy does. I really don't see his inconsistent "team defense" giving us more than Troy's instant offense. People act like when TD is on the floor the only person that scores is the person TD guards which is ridiculous.  I see those two battling for minutes and although I think Fizz doesn't like TD nor do I think he wants TD in the team, all it's going to take is a game or 2 of TD catching on fire and hitting 3 or 4 3's in 12 minutes and I think McLemore will be forgotten 

Here's another good write-up on Ben. 

I expect Selden to outplay McLemore and move ahead of him on the depth chart and depending on the night, we will see either McLemore or TD (if he is still on the team) for 3rd string.

Ok, that write up sounds like a shoulda been league minimum pickup who only got paid more because he was once a number 7 pick.