Sign in to follow this  
memgrizzlies321

Ben McLemore's Emotional Reaction To Hearing Grizz Signed Him

Wow... This is what I want to see out of a our free agent signings.  True appreciation for the opportunity we're giving him.  He seems to have a huge heart and be a great guy.  May turn out to be a fan favorite.

The call starts at 4:00.

lsugrizzfan    0

What I took from the video was not good. He was dribbling by himself in an open gym and almost lost the ball. That concerns me. Then the fact he was mid workout and quit once he got the news also concerns me. I personally think a dedicated player would have kept trying to get better.

That being said, he's part of the team now. I will give him a chance to win me over. But this video turned me off more than win me over.

bhoyal    0

He talks too quiet.  And his beard is scraggly instead of neatly trimmed. And he was wearing a long sleeve hoodie indoors in the summer.  

for a guy to be happy to the point of tears says alot about the situaiton he was in in sactown....and he was legit happy for the fact he was go to a great organization (the grizzlies are starting to get the respect of NBA players)

2 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

What I took from the video was not good. He was dribbling by himself in an open gym and almost lost the ball. That concerns me. Then the fact he was mid workout and quit once he got the news also concerns me. I personally think a dedicated player would have kept trying to get better.

That being said, he's part of the team now. I will give him a chance to win me over. But this video turned me off more than win me over.

:blink:

chipc3    0

Welcome to the Grizz family. I hope we will get to hang your jersey from the rafters someday

lsugrizzfan    0

Is he happy to join this team? Or happy to join any team? I'm guessing he would have been just as ecstatic signing anywhere else. It's just a blessing to get that kind of deal. But I'm not concern about his feelings. I'm concern with his skill. Tighten up that handle and keep working. 

29 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Is he happy to join this team? Or happy to join any team? I'm guessing he would have been just as ecstatic signing anywhere else. It's just a blessing to get that kind of deal. But I'm not concern about his feelings. I'm concern with his skill. Tighten up that handle and keep working. 

Well I know his family is in St. Louis and he said being close to them was a big deal so I'd hope it's a little more just for us.

srmjr23    0
10 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Are you for real? Wow.

Memfizz    0

I think the emotion is mainly getting a new contract and out of Sacramento for him, but that's just me.

I think he'll have a great stretch in Memphis, problem is staying consistent. Noone ever stays consistent here when they come, they show flashes then dip. 

chipc3    0

I'd be emotional too if I went from unsigned and unloved to receiving a $10 million + contract. I just hope he earns it here and if he does earn it that he remains loyal to the franchise. 

Ndq0327    0
12 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

How did you feel about the last starting 2 guards skills?

lsugrizzfan    0
21 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

How did you feel about the last starting 2 guards skills?

Tony? Great defender, great energy guy. Can't shoot. Can't dribble. Bad decision making skills. Overall impact was a positive. But he frustrated the hell out of me when he got in offensive attack modes.

Between Tony, OJ Mayo, Rudy Gay, Jeff Green, and others, I feel like the Grizz love perimeter guys that cannot dribble worth a ****. So it bothers me to see we just signed another one.

bhoyal    0
13 hours ago, Markey78 said:

Only in Memphis would people nitpick someone being happy to join their team

I was making fun of the ones who were b!tching about him.

The guy was a top-ten lotto pick in the draft a few years ago and started all 82 games one year.  I think that's plenty reason to give the guy a chance.  I'll put *sarcasm alert on the next post when I'm being sarcastic.

lsugrizzfan    0
5 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Are you for real? Wow.

I'm 100% for real. I'm not about that emotion. Regardless if he is happy to be here or just happy to sign anywhere (which I think is more of the case), I really don't care. I want him to produce. He has a lot of work to do. That handle was loose as can be in a drill with no one defending him. Tighten that up. 

Gradey    0

That is life changing big time stuff...not for someone who is promised but from someone who is working and scrapping.  Glad for the young man.

srmjr23    0
7 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I'm 100% for real. I'm not about that emotion. Regardless if he is happy to be here or just happy to sign anywhere (which I think is more of the case), I really don't care. I want him to produce. He has a lot of work to do. That handle was loose as can be in a drill with no one defending him. Tighten that up. 

So he shouldn't stop his workout in anticipation of being signed by an NBA team? I don't even know why I'm responding.

On 7/10/2017 at 8:21 PM, lsugrizzfan said:

I actually agree with LSU. As I posted in that other thread, it's a nice emotional story and all but please walk the walk. I really, really, really hope that a new environment, playing alongside MC (if he does) and being closer to his family helps him mentally and he produces more. If he produces more/exceeds expectations, it's a win for Memphis. My concern is he has not improved in 4 years, he has bad ballhandling skills, he checks out of games, he's not aggressive at times, he doesn't give effort on defense consistently and also, he's basically the same size he was when he entered the league. Being 6'5" and under 200 pounds means you can get pushed around, manhandled if you will.

Yes, things were bad in Sacramento but look at Rudy in Memphis. McLemore says he's a scorer but has only averaged double figures once. Look at everything Rudy went through in his first few years in Memphis but he always was able to score (and rebound at a decent rate). To me, it's not about your obstacles/challenges, it's how you handle those and overcome those obstacles/challenges. Will he check out if we hit a rough patch here?

Look, overall for the money we had available, he's probably the best that we could do and I'm fine with giving him a second chance. Hopefully, he can capitalize on it, I just have concerns based on past performance but I'm fine with him being here. i'm not going to dog him out or anything.