nwagrizzfan

Every Team's Projected 2017-18 Record

Dwash    0

When that final dropoff comes for a declining team it usually comes hard and fast and has no mercy.

1 hour ago, Gman1 said:

This guy projects the Grizz at 35 wins and missing the playoffs.  While the West got stronger in the off season, are the Grizzlies really that bad?  Barely ahead of the Lakers and tied with the Mavs in this guys rankings?

No one has the slightest idea but it is concerning to me that the only "reliable" players that we have are Mike and Marc. Most people on this board seem to think that's all we need. I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't necessarily care that we moved on from TA, VC and Z-Bo, but it's the fact that we really didn't get anyone that can truly replace what they brought to this team. Also, as vets, those guys got away with a lot on the court that these youngs guys will not be able to get away with-pushing, shoving, grabbing. Those little things add up and can knock someone out of rebounding position or a little nudge here may knock someone off of balance while taking a shot. if these young guys try that stuff, the whistle will be blown every time. 

I think if everyone stays relatively healthy and if Parsons avg around 15 and McLemore avg around 10 and Tyreke comes off of the bench to avg around 14-15, we will hang around .500. If any of those things go wrong, yes, I see could see us with 35 or less wins. We lost a lot of rebounding, scoring, defense and just overall game knowledge and replaced it with younger players who don't know how to win in the NBA. Also,, not sure if Conly will avg 20 ppg again this year.

Allen    0
1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

Not unreasonable when you look past Mike and Marc...

Why would you look past our best two players though? Almost every team in the league is a lottery team if you look past their best two players.

Allen    0
16 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

No one has the slightest idea but it is concerning to me that the only "reliable" players that we have are Mike and Marc. Most people on this board seem to think that's all we need. I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't necessarily care that we moved on from TA, VC and Z-Bo, but it's the fact that we really didn't get anyone that can truly replace what they brought to this team. Also, as vets, those guys got away with a lot on the court that these youngs guys will not be able to get away with-pushing, shoving, grabbing. Those little things add up and can knock someone out of rebounding position or a little nudge here may knock someone off of balance while taking a shot. if these young guys try that stuff, the whistle will be blown every time. 

I think if everyone stays relatively healthy and if Parsons avg around 15 and McLemore avg around 10 and Tyreke comes off of the bench to avg around 14-15, we will hang around .500. If any of those things go wrong, yes, I see could see us with 35 or less wins. We lost a lot of rebounding, scoring, defense and just overall game knowledge and replaced it with younger players who don't know how to win in the NBA. Also,, not sure if Conly will avg 20 ppg again this year.

Tyreke can replace Zbo's scoring and Ennis was being groomed to replace TA as the defense stopper all year long last season. This is also still and veteran laden team so losing Vince leadership isnt a killer.

I think if the team can stay healthy and Parsons has anything left in his knee they are winning at least 45

3 minutes ago, Allen said:

Tyreke can replace Zbo's scoring and Ennis was being groomed to replace TA as the defense stopper all year long last season. This is also still and veteran laden team so losing Vince leadership isnt a killer.

I think if the team can stay healthy and Parsons has anything left in his knee they are winning at least 45

how is this a veteran laden team again? Because of Mike and Marc? Hardly makes this a veteran team There's way too much inexperience on this roster and it's not even highly talented inexperience, just inexperience. 

Allen    0

Troy Daniels is a vet

James Ennis is a vet

Tyreke

Wright is a vet

Jam is a vet

Conley

Gasol

Chalmers is a vet

Parsons is a vet

Mclemore is a vet at this point

That's 10  potential rotation players with 4 or more years of professional experience. Losing three long in the tooth backups isnt going to send the team into the abyss. Its a silly notion really

I would like to know how often you would have won money if you had taken the "Over" on projected wins for the Memphis Grizzlies going into a season.  It seems very rare that Vegas or any experts has put down too many wins for the team the last 7 seasons.

That't not saying they are a playoff team, but there is a pattern of disrespect when setting the projections.

Paladin    0

I hope I am wrong, but if we make no trades, I am not optimistic--not because we are so much worse than last year but because other teams have improved much more than we have: 35-47.

I made the preceding prediction because of the reasons listed in earlier posts: What do we have beyond Marc and Mike that is reliable?  Again, I hope that I am wrong.  But Marc needs to reduce his minutes to be effective all season as does Mike.  Our new additions have come off injuries or have not lived up to expectations.  Our rookies from last year, haven't improved as much as most of us had hoped.  Only Selden has shined in competition, albeit the Summer League.  I too hope that Parsons can regain the form he had before his injuries.  Not many have done that (not many can recover as Paul George did).

I have been a Grizzlies fan since they came to Memphis, and I am usually optimistic.  So I am not making my prediction as a hater.

Michael D    0
16 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I would like to know how often you would have won money if you had taken the "Over" on projected wins for the Memphis Grizzlies going into a season.  It seems very rare that Vegas or any experts has put down too many wins for the team the last 7 seasons.

That't not saying they are a playoff team, but there is a pattern of disrespect when setting the projections.

Exactly!  The "experts" are always predicting the Grizzlies to miss the playoffs.  For the last three to four years that has been the prevailing theme concerning this team.

Dwash    0
35 minutes ago, Allen said:

Ennis is not a good defender or a stopper. Too stiff, doesnt have the foot speed.

Dwash    0
Just now, Michael D said:

Exactly!  The "experts" are always predicting the Grizzlies to miss the playoffs.  For the last three to four years that has been the prevailing theme concerning this team.

They have? I have seen most of the experts predict them to stop being contenders. This is the first time I have seen most of them agree that the playoffs are out of reach.

Also, they have been right that the team is declining. And the bottom of the West seems to have rebounded after a few down years and it looks like you will have to win 45-48 to make the playoffs again.

Michael D    0

Also, I'm optimistic that Selden will turn into a decent rotation player but I would calm down on the predictions that he will become a starter by season end.  He did a good job in the playoffs against San Antonio but if you guys don't remember Quincy Pondexter did the exact same thing.  He had a decent showing in the playoffs and also had a few moments on the floor when he was able to get off the bench.  Last time he played he was getting garbage with the Pelicans...the Pelicans.

Hold your horses on Selden is all I'm saying.

Michael D    0
1 minute ago, Dwash said:

They have? I have seen most of the experts predict them to stop being contenders. This is the first time I have seen most of them agree that the playoffs are out of reach.

Also, they have been right that the team is declining. And the bottom of the West seems to have rebounded after a few down years and it looks like you will have to win 45-48 to make the playoffs again.

Man, I don't have time to backtrack and find old articles. BUT last year several outlets predicted the new coach and Parsons experiment would fail and that the Grizzlies would miss the playoffs.  There are a few insiders that show the Grizz respect but I've seen this trend for several years now.  Heck, according to the experts Gasol was coming off of a terrible injury last year and would probably have lost a step because the type of injury he suffered the season before was the type that no big man has come back from.  Gasol had a career year.

They always try to sell low on Memphis mane!  I thought you knew.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

You are not going to replace zbo or tony, but hopefully the grizzlies will have an unexpected player show up. Parsons has a chance to make us good in a different way than zbo, but it is far from a given.

And tyreke is at best a 9 point a game scorer.

lions    0

we need high draft picks i see a 3 year window coming.

Dwash    0
cdp    0

That espn "expert" also has the Wolves winnin more games than any team in the east. I dunno why time was wasted postin that prediction it's ridiculous.‎ Can't wait to play 2k18 n simulate the season, it'll be a more realistic prediction than that sh!t‎

SC Grizz    0

It is hard to put too much stock in these projections.

There is absolutely no reason for me to believe that the Pels or Jazz will be better than us this year. Memphis fans are whining about losing the experience provided by Zbo / TA / Vince... Utah lost an in-their-prime All-Star in Gordon Hayward. Pels are starting Boogie (playing for a new contract and surely not interested in staying in NO) with Davis. 

I doubt the Grizzlies can crack the top 5 (GSW, Spurs, Rockets, Thunder and unbelievably TWolves) but see no reason we shouldn't be competing for a playoff spot for most of the season (barring injury). 

5 hours ago, Gman1 said:

This guy projects the Grizz at 35 wins and missing the playoffs.  While the West got stronger in the off season, are the Grizzlies really that bad?  Barely ahead of the Lakers and tied with the Mavs in this guys rankings?

Good to see there's still a Mod on these boards, Gman1, know what happened to Toke?

SC Grizz    0

I do think that there IS some merit to the argument that we lost some veteran calls - particularly with Zbo - as well as some players who had a real will to win (Zbo TA and Vince). It is up to the remaining players on the roster to figure out who - beside Conley - is going to step up and be that guy that leads by example by willing the team to victories. 

The Grizz will sink or swim based on how this pans out. 

pjoe    0

I'm not predicting until we know about TA and JAM - that could be a 10 game swing.

WKM    0
7 hours ago, Gman1 said:

Personally I don't think we are but this guy is using RPM to make his predictions and historically we have won more games then should have based on these stats.

No doubt we are a hard franchise to predict. Team chemistry and culture have always been used to talk about how we have been more successful then what many say our talent gap should accomplish.  Zach and Allen where a big part of that and now are gone, we have several players coming off major injuries and allot of unproven talent that no one can be sure what we will get out of outside of inventing a time machine.