chipc3    0
1 minute ago, SC Grizz said:

I hope that McLemore earns the starting SG spot versus his competition. Not a good start to the season if he does not.

I hope McLemore wins the job but I don't want a repeat from last season where a player is given the starting spot because he signed as a free agent. 

SC Grizz    0
Just now, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Surprised everyone is just penciling in JaM. I wouldn't rule out an overseas contract. Johnathon Simmons is an UFA. Would much rather have him than Benny Mac

Well... I don't think that is going to happen since we have already signed BMac. Also isn't Simmons a SF? 

SC Grizz    0
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

I hope McLemore wins the job but I don't want a repeat from last season where a player is given the starting spot because he signed as a free agent. 

I am with you 100% on that Chip.

chipc3    0
4 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Surprised everyone is just penciling in JaM. I wouldn't rule out an overseas contract. Johnathon Simmons is an UFA. Would much rather have him than Benny Mac

Simmons is a restricted free agent

Ndq0327    0
32 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Who would he be battling for the spot Seldon? You really need Tyreke off the bench I guess you could put Ennis in the Mix as well

chipc3    0
Just now, Ndq0327 said:

Who would he be battling for the spot Seldon? You really need Tyreke off the bench I guess you could put Ennis in the Mix as well

If you deviate from the PG, SG, SF, PF, C dynamic to the more modern PG, W, W, B, B (W=wing and B=big) or PG, W, W, W, B then all kinds of alternative lineups begin to be possible.   

chipc3    0
Just now, The Stro Show said:

Just saw that on another thread. 

Grizzlies have 13 players under contract, one player with a QO, 2 draft picks and a free agent listed on their roster. I don't suppose the league would even notice if they picked up another player! :lol: 

grizz1016    0
2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

This team makes the playoffs...if the Grizz were in the East perhaps. That squad doesn't sniff the playoffs in the West. Not enough elite NBA talent on the roster to compete with what Minnesota, the Clippers, the Jazz, or the Blazers are doing, much less the elite of the Dubs, Spurs, Rockets or OKC.

The Grizz should have seen what Gasol could fetch to help land more experience and talent. Right now, this squad has to have too many chips fall just right to even compete for an 8th spot in the West (Gasol and Conley pretty much have to show up every nite- not likely, Parsons has to give you good numbers-if he even can run, along with unproven players like Ben and Reke and the young guys). This is a lottery team in 2018.

The Jazz?

they won't sniff the POs

18 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

16 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Just saw that on another thread. 

Grizzlies have 13 players under contract, one player with a QO, 2 draft picks and a free agent listed on their roster. I don't suppose the league would even notice if they picked up another player! :lol: 

13 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Hmmmm. I guess I would rather pay Rudy Gay $7-8 M than J Simmons too.

Yeah, I was referring to they renounced his rights today.

Woj is saying they will try to re-sign him anyway, which makes no sense.

14 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

If you deviate from the PG, SG, SF, PF, C dynamic to the more modern PG, W, W, B, B (W=wing and B=big) or PG, W, W, W, B then all kinds of alternative lineups begin to be possible.   

That's why if Martin keeps on under-performing i wouldn't be surprised if Ennis gets minutes as backup PF.   I also think Fizz will want to have multiple ballhandlers on the court at all times so I expect to see some combo of Mike + Harrison + Evans + Chandler always in the game. 

53 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

Well... I don't think that is going to happen since we have already signed BMac. Also isn't Simmons a SF? 

I think he's mostly a SG but basically a swingman

SC Grizz    0
1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I think he's mostly a SG but basically a swingman

Gotcha. Literally the one time I ever saw him get burn was last year's playoffs. Thanks for the clarification!

1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Fizz will want to have multiple ballhandlers on the court at all times so I expect to see some combo of Mike + Harrison + Evans + Chandler always in the game. 

+1000000000

Maybe it's the liquor or the weed that I have been ingesting since my wife died, but I am optimistic that the team will make the playoffs.The West is tough but a lot of teams have big question marks that everyone are assuming will be really good. Other than the Dubs and the Spurs, all the other teams that have made big moves seem like more flash than substance.

Of course that is all predicated upon the health of Mike and Marc. If both Chancun and Reke can overcome their recent injuries I can even see the team being a 3 seed.

In writing this out, I'm not sure what will happen, but they have to get rid of some bodies.

My guess for the opening day roster (15 man):

PG - Conley, Tyreke, Harrison

SG - BenMc, Selden, Daniels

SF - Parsons, Ennis, Brooks

PF - JaM, Wright, Rade (Martin if JaM doesn't return)

C - Gasol, Davis, Rabb

Somebody has to get waived, because Rade and Baldwin aren't listed; and neither is Kobi Simmons.

I don't believe there will be any trades to shrink roster sizes because I think the Grizzlies would rather waive them instead of give up a future draft pick to get rid of them in a trade, plus I think that nobody else wants the players they are shopping.  However, I could see a Wright for future 2nd rounder as a possibility with a team like the Nets.

I think there is a real chance JaM doesn't return because of the roster and cap situation. I'd predict that he will, but I'm very aware of why he might not.

I think Baldwin gets waived, and IF he clears waivers, returns to Hustle.  Ditto on Martin.

The cluster is at the wings, and that possibly saves Martin.

fanboyslim    0
12 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I don't believe there will be any trades to shrink roster sizes because I think the Grizzlies would rather waive them instead of give up a future draft pick to get rid of them in a trade, plus I think that nobody else wants the players they are shopping.  However, I could see a Wright for future 2nd rounder as a possibility with a team like the Nets.

Exactly, dumping salary has a cost. It's cheaper to waive players if you can live with their dead salary cap hit. In our case we're talking of low salary expiring contracts and we can't spend money in FA anyway, so it's a no brainer.

Not having a legit backup C is worrying me.

Y'all saying DD too raw right now, so are we expecting Marc to play 82 games this season? What happens if he doesnt?

8 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Not having a legit backup C is worrying me.

Y'all saying DD too raw right now, so are we expecting Marc to play 82 games this season? What happens if he doesnt?

Not having a backup C worries you? How about not having a starting PF? Or for that matter, a real back up PG. We're really not sure who our starting SG is. I have a lot more worries about this team other than backup C. 

5 hours ago, Subliminal said:

As long as there better on 2k that's all I care about

It will be interesting to see how they are rated compared to last year. WIth all of these new guys, I think I would be hard to give them an accurate rating

Not having a backup C worries you? How about not having a starting PF? Or for that matter, a real back up PG. We're really not sure who our starting SG is. I have a lot more worries about this team other than backup C. 

Starting PF if not JaM is also a big worry. I've said this before, that if we lost Zbo AND JaM we be rats**t. Back up PG doesn't worry me. Harrison did a fair job when Mike was out with the back injury, we still won games, and was fairly decent by the end of the season and the playoffs, Why are you still down on Harrison? Starting SG is not much different to last year, we had a number of guys rotate through that role, it wasn't only Tony - and we still won games, made the playoffs even.

If Marc is out for more than a few games we are gooooone. No ifs or buts about it

chipc3    0

But we have Fizdale who proved last season he can coach a healthier team to nearly the exact same record as Joerger could with a bunch of rejects for a 3rd of the season! Surely that is more important than trivial things like no starting PF, no backup C or PG and a mess at the SG position. 

PG not concerned at all:  I consider between Reke and Harrison that we have a real backup PG.   Reke has been a starting PG most of his career in the NBA and Harrison showed progress in his rookie year.   I believe that position is just fine. 

SG not concerned at all:  We started a SG that can't shoot for years.  Now pretty much all of our SG's can actually shoot (Selden, Daniels, Ben).   We have bigger PG's that can play the 2 (Drew, Reke) and Ennis can play the 2 as well.   SG is probably our deepest position.  

SF is a concern until we see how Parsons recovers but unlike last season we do have some backup measures in place if he isn't healthy.  Ennis can be the starter and we have Rade and Brooks but more likely Tyreke can fill in as well.  So even though SF is the biggest concern we now have enough insurance so that it doesn't have to derail our entire season again. 

PF is a concern and that is based on JaMyke resigning.  Once he resigns it will be fine because we have guys that can play Smallball4 (Ennis and Parsons) to eat up those minutes.    

C is dependent on what happens with Wright and Davis so some concern there but nothing to worry about to much. 

Basically when it comes to issues of positional needs and health then this season is not any different than the last 5.   We have been concerned about backup PG, SF, and SG since Rudy and OJ left.  

How about we also appreciate the fact that we no longer have to worry about who will be our primary scorer and  when will we get a shooter??

Michael D    0
25 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

But we have Fizdale who proved last season he can coach a healthier team to nearly the exact same record as Joerger could with a bunch of rejects for a 3rd of the season! Surely that is more important than trivial things like no starting PF, no backup C or PG and a mess at the SG position. 

Dude, don't you remember the "Nasty Nine"???  Z-Bo was out for his mother's passing, Conley broke his back, Parsons was well...Parsons, and they pretty much only had Gasol and a bunch of other guys.  I think even Vince missed a few games.  Heck even Ennis went down.

I get if you are saying he's not vastly better than Joerger, that's cool and your perogative but come on.  Fizdale is a decent coach.  One year in and he's proven that.  That Nasty Nine had a winning record, they were like 13-8 in December.

Not knocking Joerger, because he's a good X's and O's coach but his team built up a good record and was challenging for the 4th and 5th seed until the wheels fell off.  When the scrubs had to be called in the Grizzlies started losing and barely eeked into the 8th spot.  He held it down and they stayed as competitive as they could be with replacements but they sucked for that 3rd of the season without Gasol and the rest of the main guys.

Basically what I'm saying is Fizdale's Nasty Nine pulled out a winning record.  They kind of played with more hearts and guts than the team did when the injured guys returned.  No drama and giving up from guys like Gasol and Allen.

Joerger's rejects had a losing record that would have cost the Grizzlies the playoffs if the bottom half of the Western Conference didn't suck so bad that year.

It's a player's league.  Coaches can set the tone and culture of the team, but they aren't as important as college coaches.  You get to see how really good they are when they are working with rejects and younger players that don't hold any sway or control within the team.  Joerger did as good as could have been expected with the disaster of a roster he had due to injuries.  He did a good job.  Fizdale kind of exceeded expectations when his team was able to keep winning without Conley (back), Vince Carter (hip), Chandler Parsons (knee), James Ennis (calf) and Brandan Wright (ankle). Zach Randolph.  If Fizdale's squad broke even it would have been seen as a success.  They won.

That's the closest you can get to a comparison of Joerger and Fizdale's career performance.  Granted the wheels didn't completely fall off but when the **** hit the fan, one coach did a decent job and the other coach exceeded expectation.