The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

Ndq0327    0

I think Rade got a big dose of American selfishness in the second half of yesterday's game. He littereally had no touches. One reason was cause Vince Hunter is a black hole and I'm tired of seeing him play he's too busy trying to prove he belongs that he rarely passes the **** ball. Secondly Wade's intent on driving to the hole with no purpose. I saw numerous occasions where Rade was open for the extra pass, or on a back cut but the passes never came.

Wade barely reversed the floor in the second half he just ran the initial pick n roll and stayed on whatever side he was on. Seldon however tried to get everyone involved by making the extra passes and swinging the ball around when needed. If all Wade is gonna do is try and get to the rim and get fouled then I'd rather see Kobi more. Between Seldon and Martin we have enough players going one one one someone needs to create opportunities for DD and Rade.

I'm out on Wade he's not a pg and Harrison is a better combo guard than him which isn't saying much.

6 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

I think Rade got a big dose of American selfishness in the second half of yesterday's game. He littereally had no touches. One reason was cause Vince Hunter is a black hole and I'm tired of seeing him play he's too busy trying to prove he belongs that he rarely passes the **** ball. Secondly Wade's intent on driving to the hole with no purpose. I saw numerous occasions where Rade was open for the extra pass, or on a back cut but the passes never came.

Wade barely reversed the floor in the second half he just ran the initial pick n roll and stayed on whatever side he was on. Seldon however tried to get everyone involved by making the extra passes and swinging the ball around when needed. If all Wade is gonna do is try and get to the rim and get fouled then I'd rather see Kobi more. Between Seldon and Martin we have enough players going one one one someone needs to create opportunities for DD and Rade.

I'm out on Wade he's not a pg and Harrison is a better combo guard than him which isn't saying much.

I hope the Wade and Martin centered summer league is to build up their trade value.   Simmons seems like the better investment on the 2 way contract.  I am not opposed to Brooks and Rade being on the real rotation but spending season in the G League.  Between Harrison and Tyreke i believe we have the backup PG issue settled.  Selden, Brooks, and Rade have shown more natural instincts as playmakers than Wade has.  

Ndq0327    0
17 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I hope the Wade and Martin centered summer league is to build up their trade value.   Simmons seems like the better investment on the 2 way contract.  I am not opposed to Brooks and Rade being on the real rotation but spending season in the G League.  Between Harrison and Tyreke i believe we have the backup PG issue settled.  Selden, Brooks, and Rade have shown more natural instincts as playmakers than Wade has.  

Agreed I think Fizz likes Jarell I'm not so sold on him getting traded.. He just needs to get his awareness up his offense as a face up 4 is there and his shot is solid if he can master the defensive side he will be worth keeping. I think Ennis will be traded they were shopping him on draft night. A second unit of 

Harrison Seldon Tyreke ? DD

4 spot could be Martin or Ennis honestly depending if they wanna go small or play bigger. I think they need another vet big that can play 4-5 

I wish the Green situation would hurry up and figure itself out. I still have Wright,Baldwin,Daniels,Ennis,Martin on the block in that order.

TimBC    0
58 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Wade's intent on driving to the hole with no purpose.

Fiz: Wade, who are your role models?
Baldwin: Lowry, Westbrook and Harden
Fiz: Thought so. Son, you're on the wrong team. 

23 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Agreed I think Fizz likes Jarell I'm not so sold on him getting traded.. He just needs to get his awareness up his offense as a face up 4 is there and his shot is solid if he can master the defensive side he will be worth keeping. I think Ennis will be traded they were shopping him on draft night. A second unit of 

Harrison Seldon Tyreke ? DD

4 spot could be Martin or Ennis honestly depending if they wanna go small or play bigger. I think they need another vet big that can play 4-5 

I wish the Green situation would hurry up and figure itself out. I still have Wright,Baldwin,Daniels,Ennis,Martin on the block in that order.

If they give up on Wade its hard to justify also giving up on Martin.  Defense is what can keep young guys on the court while they figure out offense and jury still out on JMart defensively. 

But like you i would want another experienced big that can play the 4-5 spot for insurance(TJones).  Davis is still learning an needs to be brought along slowly.  Having him as the 4th big probably right way to go. 

I thought about moving on from Ennis but until i know what Parsons looks like i'm not ready to move on from him.  He may not be starting material but he is the most defenisvely-skilled SF we have.  Plus he is a legit 3pt shooter.    No one else on the roster has his size (6'7) and athleticism at the 3.    Rade, Brooks and Parsons are all offensively gifted subpar defenders at the 3.    Outside of Ennis there is only Selden that can defend competently on the wing. 

I believe Green is the final domino that is preventing everything else at bay.   Yes it needs to hurry up. 

Iron Mike    0
3 hours ago, Memfizz said:

Funny seeing and hearing Vince commentate with Pete again like nothing happened.  Pretty cool of him to show up to a summer league game. 

It's just summer league, so I don't take away much, but Jarrell and Selden looked hungriest.  Fox looks like a young Conley.

If Mike was 6'4" he'd be a multiple time all-star by now.

Memfizz    0
1 minute ago, Iron Mike said:

If Mike was 6'4" he'd be a multiple time all-star by now.

He should have been regardless.  

It's not a bad comparison though, they both play the same game.

5 hours ago, chipc3 said:

After watching both of the summer league games so far I have these impressions. First the "It Is What It Is" impressions:

I believe that Jarell Martin looks like a pure talent, no BBIQ player. Hopefully he can learn the game at some point because the physical tools are impressive.   

Deyonta Davis looks like a big man playing little people and can't stop fouling to save his life. Sure he can grab rebounds against this bunch and block a shot or two but he'd be in too much foul trouble in real games to be effective this season.  

Maybe Bob Thornton would have been beneficial to these young and worth retaining.

chipc3    0
Just now, Grizzled Vet said:

Maybe Bob Thornton would have been beneficial to these young and worth retaining.

Good point but I'm not sure Fizdale is concerned about low post moves. I get the impression his bigs need to be able to rebound, run the court and dunk the ball. Other shots are best served by the perimeter players. 

Father Pat    0
13 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Good point but I'm not sure Fizdale is concerned about low post moves. I get the impression his bigs need to be able to rebound, run the court and dunk the ball. Other shots are best served by the perimeter players. 

Very good point. I read an old article about how Carlisle did this with Brandan Wright when he was with Dallas. It was simple and made good sense;

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2311344-3-nba-players-who-cheat-advanced-stats-and-how-they-do-it

You pretty much summed it up.

Ndq0327    0
22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Post moves don't normally go with a faster paced offense. So I think you are correct Fizz want bigs that are either athletic or can space the floor comfortably

4 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

why would you want to get rid of guys when they are improving...what  you are saying is wait to they get good them trade them?

The Good:

- Selden is hitting shots from all over the floor. We know already he is a good defender, now we see his shot going in... I think he will be our starting SG.

- Martin had a nice 2nd game. He hit his mid-range J and boarded really well. He played hard.

- Kobi Simmons looks like he is worth developing on a 2-way contract.

The Bad:

- Rade looks like he will take some time to develop. I was hoping he'd be more polished. Curious to see how he'll adjust as SL goes on.

- Davis has no offense including FTs. He is a brick waiting to happen. I disagree w/ a lot of you about him being good on the other end. He looks lost to me. Maybe this is superficial but I don't like his laconic demeanor. He does get up really high when going for blks.

The Ugly:

- Baldwin has no PG sense whatsoever. He shuns physicality of all kinds. He doesn't shoot well on the move. I haven't noticed of an area of his game where he has progressed. All these qualities are innate in nature so its kinda hard to see him getting better. All the knocks on him coming out are as true now as they were then.

- Brooks doesn't have the athletic ability to compete even in SL (mostly against backups). I can't figure out why we spent a future 2nd to bring him to a team w/ soo many projects already. He's not playing against college 4s anymore!

11 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

why would you want to get rid of guys when they are improving...what  you are saying is wait to they get good them trade them?

Because right now they have zero trade value and maybe them showing something can make them an attractive asset. 

I don't think Wade's ceiling is all that high at PG anymore.  Still not sure what Jarrell is.    We need to clear up roster space to sign Jamyke and it may cost us a young guy to do that. 

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Because right now they have zero trade value and maybe them showing something can make them an attractive asset. 

I don't think Wade's ceiling is all that high at PG anymore.  Still not sure what Jarrell is.    We need to clear up roster space to sign Jamyke and it may cost us a young guy to do that. 

bt i still dont get why you would want to trade a guy once he is producing...you end up trading a guy that producing for a guy that might produce...get what im saying...i never understood that logic.

2 hours ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

bt i still dont get why you would want to trade a guy once he is producing...you end up trading a guy that producing for a guy that might produce...get what im saying...i never understood that logic.

This is summer league - producing in SL is not actually "producing".  If a player was actually producing in real games I would see your point. 

16 hours ago, tennesseessio said:

The Bad:

- Davis has no offense including FTs. He is a brick waiting to happen. I disagree w/ a lot of you about him being good on the other end. He looks lost to me. Maybe this is superficial but I don't like his laconic demeanor. He does get up really high when going for blks.

Not sure how you could even make that assessment.  I'm not saying it's wrong, just not sure how you can tell.  In two Summer League games he has had the ball in his hands less than just about anyone.  Eight shot attempts in two games and some of those were ORB in traffic.  He got the ball on the block in the half-court only once last game that I saw, and he made a move into the lane and made a nice shot over his defender.  They don't even try to use him on offense unless it is a lob.  He does need work on those free throws though.

I'm mostly okay with his defensive development and rebounding.  He sometimes helps on D and his man gets away, but I don't know if someone else is supposed to be in position to cover or if he is not really supposed to help that much without knowing their defensive scheme.

GF#1    0

I'm a believer in Baldwin's skill and ability, but unfortunately he has failed to improve any area of his game from last year to now, and that's disappointing.

19 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Not sure how you could even make that assessment.  I'm not saying it's wrong, just not sure how you can tell.  In two Summer League games he has had the ball in his hands less than just about anyone.  Eight shot attempts in two games and some of those were ORB in traffic.  He got the ball on the block in the half-court only once last game that I saw, and he made a move into the lane and made a nice shot over his defender.  They don't even try to use him on offense unless it is a lob.  He does need work on those free throws though.

I'm mostly okay with his defensive development and rebounding.  He sometimes helps on D and his man gets away, but I don't know if someone else is supposed to be in position to cover or if he is not really supposed to help that much without knowing their defensive scheme.

I agree 

DD is the one guy that really needs to be paired with a competent PG in order to be involved offensively.   DD struggles speaks more about Wade than it does him. 

Ndq0327    0

Yea DD needs a pg that can create shots for him I think Harrison would be a better parring cause he's bigger than most guards he can draw the bugs in for easy dump offs and lobs

Ndq0327    0

I'm happy Brooks had a good game and I love his energy and passion

grizz1016    0
1 minute ago, Ndq0327 said:

I'm happy Brooks had a good game and I love his energy and passion

He was also more active and surprisingly athletic.