The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

16 minutes ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

I'm starting to buy in on Deyonta as a backup center that can rebound, defend, and catch lobs.  Its old school but it can work.  Baldwin is not bad but has no vision as a pg.  Jarell Martin and Harrison should be trade bait.  Selden is a little wild today.  He needs to decide what type of sg he wants to be and hone those skills.  Kobe Simmons looks like a pg that should have gone undrafted so far today.

YO

Deyonte is definitely a bright spot for us at the center position.

Jarrell having a much better game tonight and Wayne is going to be a nice addition to our roster if he keeps playing at this level.

10 minutes ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I don't think any of our draft picks last year are going to stick

They are playing better than they did last night if that means anything.

I like how this staff actually plays guys that will be on the roster instead of guys we will never use.  Dillon seems like a rookie.  I'm reserving judgement on him for a couple years.  I like his energy though.  Jarell Martin needs to finish the summer league going for 20 most games.   He is in year 3.  No excuses.

YO

Definitely, Jarell looked much better, needs to keep up the strong play or else tho. Davis, Wade n Zag all looked better too. They signed Zag to a contract today FYI. Gotta give him time to adjust his game of course.‎

Wow, Selden had a better stat sheet than De' aaron Fox, very solid performance against a good guard.

Proud of Jarrell ... very nice game.  Keep it up big guy.

I thought Baldwin was much better too.

Selden had another solid game.

Rade got off to a good start, but disappeared a bit toward end.

Davis had tough time rebounding, but was anchoring the D ... think he will be ok.

Buddy Hield is going to be an okay NBA player, but I think it's strange that Sacramento decided to ditch Ben McLemore and give the starting SG gig to Hield. Hield seems to have a bit of the Jimmer in him. In other words, he can absolutely light it up against equal or inferior athletes, but against higher caliber athletes, he struggles. Sac's best players are Skal and Fox, clearly, I think.

I thought everyone played better in Game 2, but especially Martin and Baldwin, who both desperately needed to have good showings. Martin did in this game what he should be doing every game. Like YO said, no excuses, he should be this effective every time out. So, good for him for making it happen.

Baldwin is such an enigma. He played much better this game, while still displaying some erratic tendencies and some other strange weaknesses - he can't finish a layup, for example. Baldwin's attitude is very strange to me and may be a problem. But, he showed some real savvy in pick and roll situations, looking much more comfortable probing for a mid-range jumper than he did attacking and going to the rim. He was also much more under control, which was refreshing, because it gave hope that he may actually be capable of playing a mature style of basketball. I actually think for Baldwin to be successful, consistently playing under control and within himself, without doing too much and trying to for real be Russell Westbrook, is the most important, and perhaps most difficult, hurdle for him. He has the length and athleticism to hold his own, even against elite athletes like Fox. If he can just make the easy play and learn exactly when to pick his spots attacking the rim, he can stick. And he may not be as far off as that first SL game suggested.

Deyonta Davis still has serious work to do on his defensive IQ. Out of position too often. Eesh.

Rade is a deer in headlights.

Baldwin may be ok. I remember when Conley struggled his first few years he had a hard time finishing at the basket. Now he is a beast with the floater.

I think we have some young guys we could look at being in the rotation next season. Selden, Martin, DD should be most ready to get some minutes. Rade and Baldwin are next in line but still raw and need more seasoning. I think it would be wise to put Brooks and Rabb in the GL along with Kobi Simmons and Jeremy Morgan to see what we have got in these young guys. They should not take our roster spots as there is only so much room for young guys to be on the roster and we already have 5 in Martin, Selden, DD, Baldwin and Rade. BTW, even though Kobi Simmons had a bad game, I think this kid has great potential. Very raw right now but if he keeps his head straight and work hard he could be a steal. I am high on this kid and I think he has the highest ceiling among all the young guns on the team.

Baldwin likes to go hard driving to the rim, he needs to know how to pass it to the open man if the defense collapse on him. I do like him more than Harrison. Hopefully he improves his passing skills. 

Rade looks composed even though he is still trying to find his footing in the league. Davis looks good and Jarell maybe able to improve if he keeps pushing hard. Dillon looks  timid. Overall, the young guys looks good. 

3 hours ago, Once_a_hater said:

Williams > Ennis . Move Ennis in a salary dump trade to other team. I believe Ennis salary and Wright salary are not totally garanteed.

Baldwin + Ennis + Wright package should be our main priority

Let me guess...we should move them for Greg Monroe?

5 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

I don't think any of our draft picks last year are going to stick

Maybe Davis can be a serviceable backup.

Jarrell and Wade look like they have another year playing in the G-league. 

They don't look NBA ready.

Rade looked like he was scared last night in the 3rd and 4th but I'm happy with him so far. 

After watching both of the summer league games so far I have these impressions. First the "It Is What It Is" impressions:

I believe that Jarell Martin looks like a pure talent, no BBIQ player. Hopefully he can learn the game at some point because the physical tools are impressive.   

Deyonta Davis looks like a big man playing little people and can't stop fouling to save his life. Sure he can grab rebounds against this bunch and block a shot or two but he'd be in too much foul trouble in real games to be effective this season.  

Wade Baldwin looks like someone who has existed on pure talent and is reaching the point where he doesn't have enough talent to survive on talent alone. He has to develop a better outside shot and improve his running the offense to be effective in the bigs. 

Rade Zagoric looks like his shot takes a long time to get off but seems to have a high BBIQ. He's just not talented enough to create his own look especially with that slow release and seems to struggle against faster wings on defense. 

Dillon Brooks likely is someone who has maximized his talent but doesn't have the next gear needed to succeed in the league. He does have the heart and hustle to make rosters and can contribute as a deep bench player for a while. 

Now the "Sunshine Patrol" impressions:

Selden looks like a player who could become solid off the bench. He doesn't get lost on defense and has a nice shot. 

Kobi Simmons looks to have big league possibilities with his speed but has a lot to work on with his fundamentals. 

Overall I get the impression we are seeing a rawer Memphis Hustle team on display in the summer league and am excited to see how they become a team this year. I feel like Baldwin and Simmons will be fun to watch. Martin and Rabb will battle inside as well for the Hustle. Brooks will spend most of the season with the Hustle trying to adapt his game from a mini PF to a perimeter player and I believe he will put in a lot of effort, I just worry how well it will translate. Rade will have to learn a quicker release. I don't believe we are seeing anyone in the summer league that should be expected to contribute many minutes for the Grizzlies.  

That's not a bad thing either. The Grizzlies will be rolling out veterans, granted younger veterans than in previous seasons, who will be expected to fight for home court advantage in the playoffs (although I believe a 6-8 seed is more likely). Conley and Harrison (who is noticeably absent from the summer league) manning the point, Selden, McLemore, Daniels, Parsons, Ennis and Evans playing the wings, JaMychal Green (yes he'll be back), Wright, Gasol and a rotation between Martin, Davis and Rabb playing the inside. I also expect to see Parsons and Ennis swinging down the play more stretch 4 situations than we've seen in the past.   

17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

After watching both of the summer league games so far I have these impressions. First the "It Is What It Is" impressions:

I believe that Jarell Martin looks like a pure talent, no BBIQ player. Hopefully he can learn the game at some point because the physical tools are impressive.   

Deyonta Davis looks like a big man playing little people and can't stop fouling to save his life. Sure he can grab rebounds against this bunch and block a shot or two but he'd be in too much foul trouble in real games to be effective this season.  

Wade Baldwin looks like someone who has existed on pure talent and is reaching the point where he doesn't have enough talent to survive on talent alone. He has to develop a better outside shot and improve his running the offense to be effective in the bigs. 

Rade Zagoric looks like his shot takes a long time to get off but seems to have a high BBIQ. He's just not talented enough to create his own look especially with that slow release and seems to struggle against faster wings on defense. 

Dillon Brooks likely is someone who has maximized his talent but doesn't have the next gear needed to succeed in the league. He does have the heart and hustle to make rosters and can contribute as a deep bench player for a while. 

Selden looks like a player who could become solid off the bench. He doesn't get lost on defense and has a nice shot. 

Kobi Simmons looks to have big league possibilities with his speed but has a lot to work on with his fundamentals. 

Overall I get the impression we are seeing a rawer Memphis Hustle team on display in the summer league and am excited to see how they become a team this year. I feel like Baldwin and Simmons will be fun to watch. Martin and Rabb will battle inside as well for the Hustle. Brooks will spend most of the season with the Hustle trying to adapt his game from a mini PF to a perimeter player and I believe he will put in a lot of effort, I just worry how well it will translate. Rade will have to learn a quicker release. I don't believe we are seeing anyone in the summer league that should be expected to contribute many minutes for the Grizzlies.  

That's not a bad thing either. The Grizzlies will be rolling out veterans, granted younger veterans than in previous seasons, who will be expected to fight for home court advantage in the playoffs (although I believe a 6-8 seed is more likely). Conley and Harrison (who is noticeably absent from the summer league) manning the point, Selden, McLemore, Daniels, Parsons, Ennis and Evans playing the wings, JaMychal Green (yes he'll be back), Wright, Gasol and a rotation between Martin, Davis and Rabb playing the inside. I also expect to see Parsons and Ennis swinging down the play more stretch 4 situations than we've seen in the past.   

2 questions:

1. What did you see from Rade which led to the conclusion of him having a high BBIQ? I didn't see the second game but in the first game I didn't see him do anything but pass up shots and pass the ball and he looked shell-shocked,

2. Who expects the Grizz to fight for home court advantage? In order to fight for home court advantage, you will need a top 4 seed. So you think people are expecting the Grizz to fight GS, SA, HOU, AND OKC for home court advantage? That's an interesting take. When is the last time this team fought for home court advantage?

EDIT: I agree with you that most of these guys will be on the Hustle and won't get much pt for the Grizz this year. Although, I do see Selden getting some time with the "big" team as a third stringer. All of these other guys- Baldwin, Simmons, Rade, Martin, Brooks- they have G-League written all over them. Actually, i think Martin and Baldwin will be traded this summer to clear roster space. 

Funny seeing and hearing Vince commentate with Pete again like nothing happened.  Pretty cool of him to show up to a summer league game. 

It's just summer league, so I don't take away much, but Jarrell and Selden looked hungriest.  Fox looks like a young Conley.

46 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Kind of agree with most of this - from what it looks like to me there is a lot of raw ability for most of these guys, but they need some serious gym time and weight room time. I actually like the potential of Simmons - if he can get a bit stronger and start to knock down that outside shot.

Brooks needs to change his body per se - needs serious strength and conditioning overhaul - it's not his basketball ability that is going to hold him back.

Davis/Martin lack what most "big" men lack these days - go to post moves. A turnaround or faceup jumper ain't it either. Learn a baby hook or an up an under or even a pump fake and drive. Davis shooting from 10+ feet out is just bad basketball.

44 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

2 questions:

1. What did you see from Rade which led to the conclusion of him having a high BBIQ? I didn't see the second game but in the first game I didn't see him do anything but pass up shots and pass the ball and he looked shell-shocked,

In both games he showed a knowledge of where he is supposed to be on the court, positioning for rebounding, making the right passes. He definitely looked shell shocked at the speed of the game (and the selfishness of American players I might add) but he looked much calmer in game 2. 

2. Who expects the Grizz to fight for home court advantage? In order to fight for home court advantage, you will need a top 4 seed. So you think people are expecting the Grizz to fight GS, SA, HOU, AND OKC for home court advantage? That's an interesting take. When is the last time this team fought for home court advantage?

I believe the Thunder haven't improved as much as some people believe. I also question how effective the Spurs will be without Tony Parker available for a while. He's a bit old to bounce back quickly from that injury and Rudy Gay is coming back from a torn Achilles which is also difficult to recover from. The general consensus I've heard from talk radio is the Grizzlies may be able to compete for a first round playoff series.  

EDIT: I agree with you that most of these guys will be on the Hustle and won't get much pt for the Grizz this year. Although, I do see Selden getting some time with the "big" team as a third stringer. All of these other guys- Baldwin, Simmons, Rade, Martin, Brooks- they have G-League written all over them. Actually, i think Martin and Baldwin will be traded this summer to clear roster space. 

If the Grizzlies are going to sign Rade (rumor is he already signed), Brooks and Rabb then some players have to go. However Wallace has traded for a 2nd rd pick and not signed them immediately before (Andrew Harrison) so it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same this summer. Baldwin may be auditioning for a trade but if he is then he isn't helping his case. Martin's and Wright are the prime targets for trades in my opinion since the team needs a 3rd PG no matter what.  

19 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Kind of agree with most of this - from what it looks like to me there is a lot of raw ability for most of these guys, but they need some serious gym time and weight room time. I actually like the potential of Simmons - if he can get a bit stronger and start to knock down that outside shot.

Brooks needs to change his body per se - needs serious strength and conditioning overhaul - it's not his basketball ability that is going to hold him back.

Davis/Martin lack what most "big" men lack these days - go to post moves. A turnaround or faceup jumper ain't it either. Learn a baby hook or an up an under or even a pump fake and drive. Davis shooting from 10+ feet out is just bad basketball.

Davis shooting from 5 feet out is bad basketball! If it's not a dunk it's a bad shot for him. Then again, is DeAndre Jordan any different? Jordan just doesn't pick up as many fouls.