The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

18 hours ago, MemphisX said:

How in the hell did we let Troy Williams escape?

Troy Williams is a UFA as far as I know. The Rockets chose not to pick up his QO. They can unescape him if they wish.

14 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Troy Williams is a UFA as far as I know. The Rockets chose not to pick up his QO. They can unescape him if they wish.

What is TW? Is he a SG or a SF? Always confuses me when I see him play.

9 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

What is TW? Is he a SG or a SF? Always confuses me when I see him play.

He can play multiple positions. 

cdp    0

Losin Troy Williams may have been a blessin in disguise, cuz if we didn't we don't resign Selden n he's lookin like the better player so far imo.

Father Pat    0
2 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Troy was waived by the Grizzlies. Because he was waived, I think that they can't sign him for a year from his waiver date.

EDIT: Sorry, that's for traded then waived players.

51 minutes ago, cdp said:

Losin Troy Williams may have been a blessin in disguise, cuz if we didn't we don't resign Selden n he's lookin like the better player so far imo.

We should have both, there's no reason we shouldn't

cdp    0
1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

We should have both, there's no reason we shouldn't

Actually yes there is cuz at the time that we waived Selden we would've had 5 rookies under contract. Considerin we were goin all in off signin Parsons that would've been insane. We were competing last year n Williams outplayed Selden for the last spot straight up. Selden also wouldn't be on the team right now if we still had Williams.

5 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

In the big picture, you really can't tell much from SL especially after 1 game. I had the pleasure of going out there 1 summer (Thanks Chip) and the games were horrible, The only thing you can really tell is that if someone is really bad and looks lost in SL, they probably won't make it in the NBA. Every year you have someone who scores 40+ points and never gets signed. I mean, look at Lonzo Ball. The guy had 1 bad game and people were going ape s#!t saying how he's a bust and he comes back and drops a triple double. The talent level in SL is bad. I mean really bad. Heck, Ike Diogu is playing and he hasn't been in the NBA since 2012. 

You really can't tell anything, Yes, you can try and look at an individual player to see if they have improved things such as ball handling, shooting, etc but even that is misleading due to the weak competition.

With that being said, I don't see  Martin doing anything in the league. The guy is just a very athletic guy with no position and a low BBIQ. A worse Mike Beasley if you will or even a repeat of Stro especially with the LSU ties. I still don't see Baldwin doing much to help us. Those would be the first two that I would trade/let go. 

I agree with you.  I remember Josh "Summer League MVP" Selby looking pretty good in SL, but unable to earn a slot in the big league.

I really can't put my finger on it with Baldwin.  I know he put up decent numbers scoring yesterday, but I just don't think he runs offense well.  Maybe he'll get it with more work, IDK. 

I really see no improvement in Martin.  I wonder if those posters thinking Martin might get rotation minutes this season still think that's wise.

Brooks' stroke looked okay, but I don't know if he'll have the athleticism to stick.

Rade may not have the athleticism either, but it's just one game so I'll wait before making an assessment.

I think Kobi Simmons might be worth keeping if only because he is very young.  Of course I would expect at least a whole year in the G-League.  (when did they name it the G-League and what does "G" stand for?)

I don't know how anyone could assess Deyonta's offense since they almost never passed the ball to him.  He got 2 attempts and made one.  Of course he may not have learned how to make himself a good passing target yet.

Dwash    0
50 minutes ago, cdp said:

Actually yes there is cuz at the time that we waived Selden we would've had 5 rookies under contract. Considerin we were goin all in off signin Parsons that would've been insane. We were competing last year n Williams outplayed Selden for the last spot straight up. Selden also wouldn't be on the team right now if we still had Williams.

Maybe they would not have signed Seldon last March, but we probably still could have both at this point.  Somebody has to be able to recognize that Seldon/Williams are more useful long term than a guy like Martin and not just hang on to Martin because he was a first round pick.

SC Grizz    0
13 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I think Kobi Simmons might be worth keeping if only because he is very young.  Of course I would expect at least a whole year in the G-League.  (when did they name it the G-League and what does "G" stand for?)

"Gatorade" League

20 minutes ago, SC Grizz said:

"Gatorade" League

Sheesh, I thought you were kidding, then I looked it up.  The almighty advertising dollar again.  Wow.

1 hour ago, cdp said:

We signed a vet pg because we thought our rookie ones weren't cutting it. You get rid of one of them if you don't have any faith in either, not the swingman who actually showed something

SC Grizz    0
43 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Sheesh, I thought you were kidding, then I looked it up.  The almighty advertising dollar again.  Wow.

LOL. I know, right? 

cdp    0
1 hour ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

We signed a vet pg because we thought our rookie ones weren't cutting it. You get rid of one of them if you don't have any faith in either, not the swingman who actually showed something

True but we got rid of Selden before the season started. Pretty sure Harrison n‎ Baldwin had a better preseason than him, heck i think DJ Stephens did too but we didn't keep him either.‎‎ Still wasn't a very smart move huh, goin into the season with two rookie point guards as the backups. Knowin our history of backup PG problems, what were FO thinkin right?

Williams > Ennis . Move Ennis in a salary dump trade to other team. I believe Ennis salary and Wright salary are not totally garanteed.

Baldwin + Ennis + Wright package should be our main priority

2 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I agree with you.  I remember Josh "Summer League MVP" Selby looking pretty good in SL, but unable to earn a slot in the big league.

I really can't put my finger on it with Baldwin.  I know he put up decent numbers scoring yesterday, but I just don't think he runs offense well.  Maybe he'll get it with more work, IDK. 

I really see no improvement in Martin.  I wonder if those posters thinking Martin might get rotation minutes this season still think that's wise.

Brooks' stroke looked okay, but I don't know if he'll have the athleticism to stick.

Rade may not have the athleticism either, but it's just one game so I'll wait before making an assessment.

I don't know how anyone could assess Deyonta's offense since they almost never passed the ball to him.  He got 2 attempts and made one.  Of course he may not have learned how to make himself a good passing target yet.

I watched D League games a year ago and all I saw was guys trying to do their own thing, like Bayless. I think the FO should put the word out they want to see Jarell with the ball to see what he can do.

These young Guys are fun to watch.  Rade off to a good start.  We are playing hard but lid on basket so far.    This is very competitive for a summer league game.

YO

MemphisX    0

When Kobi gets some NBA weight training, he will be alright. He's even smaller than Fox but very similar.

3 minutes ago, GrizzliesIQYO said:

These young Guys are fun to watch.  Rade off to a good start.  We are playing hard but lid on basket so far.    This is very competitive for a summer league game.

YO

Where is it on.

Blue Bear    0

The SL Grizzlies have been keeping it competitive so far. I'm looking forward to Davis and Selden having a good performance.

Blue Bear    0

Pete Pranica needs to chill with the Vince Carter interview. It's getting a little awkward, let's get back to the game commentary Pete.

I'm starting to buy in on Deyonta as a backup center that can rebound, defend, and catch lobs.  Its old school but it can work.  Baldwin is not bad but has no vision as a pg.  Jarell Martin and Harrison should be trade bait.  Selden is a little wild today.  He needs to decide what type of sg he wants to be and hone those skills.  Kobe Simmons looks like a pg that should have gone undrafted so far today.

YO