The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

The_PROOF    0

Jarell has to play better or he's done. I know there were no plays ran for him, but he's a wreck defensively and seems to have low basketball IQ on both ends.

Baldwin needs to play more under control. He has all the tools...but so did Jeff Green. Nothing more to say about that lol.

Wayne Selden's summer league should be a wrap. Nothing more to see.

Deyonta started playing a little reckless towards the end of the game, but I attribute that to fatigue. 

Rade did fine for his first competition against NBA talent. I think he'll get better each game. Needs time.

Now I'd like to see more of Jeremy Morgan and Kobi Simmons.

Just now, The_PROOF said:

Jarell has to play better or he's done. I know there were no plays ran for him, but he's a wreck defensively and seems to have low basketball IQ on both ends.

Baldwin needs to play more under control. He has all the tools...but so did Jeff Green. Nothing more to say about that lol.

Wayne Selden's summer league should be a wrap. Nothing more to see.

Deyonta started playing a little reckless towards the end of the game, but I attribute that to fatigue. 

Rade did fine for his first competition against NBA talent. I think he'll get better each game. Needs time.

Now I'd like to see more of Jeremy Morgan and Kobi Simmons.

Agree on all points.

KGF    0
15 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

How in the hell did we let Troy Williams escape?

They wanted Toney Douglas and didn't want to cut Harrison or Baldwin. In other words, Chris Wallace sucks.

31 minutes ago, KGF said:

They wanted Toney Douglas and didn't want to cut Harrison or Baldwin. In other words, Chris Wallace sucks.

They didnt need to cut anyone. A bit of patience was required.

Douglas came in and was absolute trash, and we gave away a promising talent, and basically admitted our drafting sucks

This pretty much underlines why I don't want to trade for picks because it will be wasted

Ndq0327    0

Rade hasn't played a game in 5months I'm giving him a pass I think once he adjusts he will be fine.

Kobi is too skinny for the league right now but at the same time he looks better than Wade. I'm happy we have him on a two way.

I think Brooks will need time to figure how his game fits but he's not afraid to take shots and try to make plays.

I think Martin is done he still has the same problems from his rookie year, so either no one has worked with him or he's just picking things up too slow.

DD needs to look to score his rebounding was great do was his defensive presence but if he's gonna be a rotation player he's gonna need to score.

Anyone with WatchESPN can watch a replay of the game.

I'm guessing all summer games, even those on NBA TV can be watched on WatchESPN on replay, but don't know that for sure.

Ndq0327    0
6 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

Anyone with WatchESPN can watch a replay of the game.

I'm guessing all summer games, even those on NBA TV can be watched on WatchESPN on replay, but don't know that for sure.

Don't think the NBA TV ones are on there

bhoyal    0

Seldon and Baldwin were good.  WB4's 86% from the line shows he needs to slash and drive to draw fouls, not spot up for 3's.

Ironically, FTs were the only weakness for Seldon.

23% from three for the team?  Looks like Daniels job is safe for now.

Dwash    0

The scouting reports said Martin had low IQ and instincts. Reports arent always the Bible but they usually get that one right.

Ndq0327    0
5 minutes ago, bhoyal said:

Seldon and Baldwin were good.  WB4's 86% from the line shows he needs to slash and drive to draw fouls, not spot up for 3's.

Ironically, FTs were the only weakness for Seldon.

23% from three for the team?  Looks like Daniels job is safe for now.

baldwin was good at not being a pg.

Ndq0327    0
5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

The scouting reports said Martin had low IQ and instincts. Reports arent always the Bible but they usually get that one right.

That play that almost cost them the game may have sealed his fate. 

Selden was best. DD showed good defensive and rebounding skills; has a long way to go offensively still, but I can see the framework for him to achieve that (though TERRIBLE at FTs, which is worrisome). Kobi Simmons impressed me third, he actually looked like a PG on the floor. He looked better than Baldwin at running the team, minus his too frequent "Summer League throw up my own bad threes."

fanboyslim    0

Selden was impressive but of course you have to take the opposition into account. Anyway, he came into this game with the right attitude and I think his roster spot is safe.

Brooks and Simmons looked good, we'll need more games to get a better impression but both showed potential.

Baldwin didn't have a good start but improved over the game. Still, for someone who's supposed to be fighting for a place in the rotation he looked not completely engaged at times.

DD looks very raw still, but I'm sure he can spot Marc for stretches. Not sure he's ready to play more than 10mpg though.

Rade will be ok. It's hard to come from one of the lesser European leagues and jump right into a game with a bunch of me-first G-league players. He also needs to get his legs under him, he's very out of shape right now. I was impressed by his ability to crash the boards.

Martin... seriously, that was scary. He needs to wake the heck up or he might end up cut before the season opener.

Blue Bear    0
48 minutes ago, Dwash said:

No excuse for letting Troy Williams walk. None.

Yeah, I don't understand it. I was saying that we should have kept him last season but a lot of people didn't agree with me at the time. We were winning with Troy's energy and athleticism when he was on the team but after he was cut we started to revert back to the team of old. FO needs to get rid of people making these decisions. 

fanboyslim    0
40 minutes ago, Dwash said:

No excuse for letting Troy Williams walk. None.

Of course the impact is not comparable, but his situation reminded me of the Thabeet fiasco in that the FO went knowingly against the overwhelming consensus of fans and analysts. And lo and behold, they were wrong.

1 hour ago, GritsOnTheSide said:

minus his too frequent "Summer League throw up my own bad threes."

every report on Kobi says that's just his game. he's a chucker with bad shot selection, that can heat up quick

Herodotus    0

Cheers, ya'll.

I think the Grizzlies front office has to be disappointed about what they saw in that first SL game. If all of the talk going in was that the Grizzlies should have one of the most talented rosters in the SL, and therefore there should be a clear talent gap between the Grizzlies and their competition, it definitely did not look like that. If anything, the takeaway is that the young Grizzlies have not developed very much since we last saw them, with the exception of Selden. 

Wade Baldwin is long and athletic enough to be very good, but he looks and plays like an idiot. He appears to have no idea what he is doing in terms of basketball IQ and he also appears to have no better idea since last year this time as to what he actually is and is not capable of doing on an NBA basketball court. He's still got that dreaded Strotential, but his development does not seem to be progressing. Very disappointing. You want to see him bounce back over the next few games, but the longer this goes on, the less and less value he has. Baldwin was drafted ahead of, of among other players (Skal Labissier), PG Dejounte Murray, who looked very much like an NBA-caliber PG in his rookie season for SA.

Jarell Martin maybe just is what he is - very athletic, with intriguing stretch 4 capabilities, whose offense shows flashes but is and has been too inefficient for the NBA, and who hasn't played basketball as long as everyone else has, and so still hasn't really figured out how to make an impact all-around consistently from play-to-play. Everyone has been talking about his development all off-season, wondering what the Grizzlies will ultimately do with him. Right now it looks like he's not on track to be good enough to receive a qualifying offer next summer, in my opinion.

Rade gets an incomplete.

Dillon Brooks looks like a guy who knows how to play basketball and has solid, well-rounded basketball abilities, but isn't quite as athletic as everyone else. Still, he can knock down shots and make good plays. I liked what I saw from him overall and am interested to see what he might become. That said, it seemed pretty clear that just athletically he's not in the same universe as players like Selden, and it's hard to see how he could ever be as good on an NBA court as even a player like Ben McLemore.

Deyonta Davis is hard to read. This SL format is terrible for a player like Davis, I think, because so much it is played as an out-of-control track meet. Davis is defensive shot blocking and rebounding center. On offense, you want him to be able to rim run off of pick-and-rolls, set solid screens, and knock down a mid-ranger if need-be. Someone on here said that he needs to show more offensively, which is wrong. Davis' immediate value will not be measured on the offensive end whatsoever. If he is going to make it in the NBA and with the Grizzlies, he is going to be measured by his team defense, footwork and timing, shot blocking (while limiting fouls), and defensive rebounding. And after that, his rim running, screen setting, offensive rebound put-backs. And way after that, any other offensive contributions. He can be a GREAT backup center in the NBA is he just gets good at those defensive center skills. Bismack Biyombo is currently on a $17 million contract and has no offensive abilities whatsoever. From this perspective, Deyonta Davis is arguably our best young prospect, who is closest to achieving a real, lasting NBA career, even if he looks like an afterthought in these SL games.  

pjoe    0
50 minutes ago, Herodotus said:

Cheers, ya'll.

I think the Grizzlies front office has to be disappointed about what they saw in that first SL game. If all of the talk going in was that the Grizzlies should have one of the most talented rosters in the SL, and therefore there should be a clear talent gap between the Grizzlies and their competition, it definitely did not look like that. If anything, the takeaway is that the young Grizzlies have not developed very much since we last saw them, with the exception of Selden. 

Wade Baldwin is long and athletic enough to be very good, but he looks and plays like an idiot. He appears to have no idea what he is doing in terms of basketball IQ and he also appears to have no better idea since last year this time as to what he actually is and is not capable of doing on an NBA basketball court. He's still got that dreaded Strotential, but his development does not seem to be progressing. Very disappointing. You want to see him bounce back over the next few games, but the longer this goes on, the less and less value he has. Baldwin was drafted ahead of, of among other players (Skal Labissier), PG Dejounte Murray, who looked very much like an NBA-caliber PG in his rookie season for SA.

Jarell Martin maybe just is what he is - very athletic, with intriguing stretch 4 capabilities, whose offense shows flashes but is and has been too inefficient for the NBA, and who hasn't played basketball as long as everyone else has, and so still hasn't really figured out how to make an impact all-around consistently from play-to-play. Everyone has been talking about his development all off-season, wondering what the Grizzlies will ultimately do with him. Right now it looks like he's not on track to be good enough to receive a qualifying offer next summer, in my opinion.

Rade gets an incomplete.

Dillon Brooks looks like a guy who knows how to play basketball and has solid, well-rounded basketball abilities, but isn't quite as athletic as everyone else. Still, he can knock down shots and make good plays. I liked what I saw from him overall and am interested to see what he might become. That said, it seemed pretty clear that just athletically he's not in the same universe as players like Selden, and it's hard to see how he could ever be as good on an NBA court as even a player like Ben McLemore.

Deyonta Davis is hard to read. This SL format is terrible for a player like Davis, I think, because so much it is played as an out-of-control track meet. Davis is defensive shot blocking and rebounding center. On offense, you want him to be able to rim run off of pick-and-rolls, set solid screens, and knock down a mid-ranger if need-be. Someone on here said that he needs to show more offensively, which is wrong. Davis' immediate value will not be measured on the offensive end whatsoever. If he is going to make it in the NBA and with the Grizzlies, he is going to be measured by his team defense, footwork and timing, shot blocking (while limiting fouls), and defensive rebounding. And after that, his rim running, screen setting, offensive rebound put-backs. And way after that, any other offensive contributions. He can be a GREAT backup center in the NBA is he just gets good at those defensive center skills. Bismack Biyombo is currently on a $17 million contract and has no offensive abilities whatsoever. From this perspective, Deyonta Davis is arguably our best young prospect, who is closest to achieving a real, lasting NBA career, even if he looks like an afterthought in these SL games.  

Normally I wouldn't say it after one game, but I think Selden has earned a roster spot.  I guess I am also considering his play in the playoffs.  But if he can play the 2 with his size, his athleticism, and defensive potential ... he's a keeper.  Coach Fizdale showed a lot of confidence in him ... really putting him in the impossible position guarding Kawhi at times in the playoffs.  It looks like it motivated him to improve and play with confidence.  And during this one summer league game, it looked like Wayne was doing a "what would Kawhi do" routine.  I think we should shake his hand, say "congratulations ... you are on the roster ... no more Summer League games for you", and tell him to keep working so he can become a rotation player.

Deyonta Davis is going to be fine.  I totally agree with your analysis.  He can be very good defensively and rebounding.

I disagree with you on Baldwin ... he needs to improve but did ok in my view.  Defensively he is going to be good ... I think he has a chance guarding some of the elite point guards.  Offensively, he needs a LOT of work running a team, playing under control, pick-and-roll, and passing out of the lane to spot-up shooters.  But I'm not ready to give up on him yet.  I think Harrison is better option at the moment, but Baldwin has a slightly higher ceiling unless Harrison starts shooting threes better.

I'm not sure if Jarrell is going to live up to his potential.  Even when he makes a play, it seems like there was a better option (maybe someone was open for a 3 and he takes a long two).  Hope it is just inexperience and not selfishness.

Dillon reminds me a little of Greivis Vasquez in terms of confidence.  Love that about him.  He can play, but your points about athleticism are valid.

I agree with you on Rade ... its too early to tell.  I thought he did ok overall but his shot was not there ... seemed like he was overthinking when shooting.  He just needs to keep shooting when he's open.  The offense seemed to function better when he was out there for some reason.  He played under control and did a good job rebounding.  Need to watch him more defensively before making a judgement call.

tangogriz    0

I agree with most of the opinions, except about Martin. I think he showed a lot of improvement. Things got ragged for everyone in the 2nd half. Because of injury this will be his first real off-season and camp. Folks are willing to cut Davis all kinds of slack. I think Martin has potentially a higher upside and is due the same slack.

In the big picture, you really can't tell much from SL especially after 1 game. I had the pleasure of going out there 1 summer (Thanks Chip) and the games were horrible, The only thing you can really tell is that if someone is really bad and looks lost in SL, they probably won't make it in the NBA. Every year you have someone who scores 40+ points and never gets signed. I mean, look at Lonzo Ball. The guy had 1 bad game and people were going ape s#!t saying how he's a bust and he comes back and drops a triple double. The talent level in SL is bad. I mean really bad. Heck, Ike Diogu is playing and he hasn't been in the NBA since 2012. 

You really can't tell anything, Yes, you can try and look at an individual player to see if they have improved things such as ball handling, shooting, etc but even that is misleading due to the weak competition.

With that being said, I don't see  Martin doing anything in the league. The guy is just a very athletic guy with no position and a low BBIQ. A worse Mike Beasley if you will or even a repeat of Stro especially with the LSU ties. I still don't see Baldwin doing much to help us. Those would be the first two that I would trade/let go. 

GF#1    0
2 hours ago, Herodotus said:

Cheers, ya'll.

Rade gets an incomplete.

Good thoughts, nice to see you posting again!