The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

23 hours ago, Herodotus said:

I think it's important to point out that, with the exception of Caleb Swanigan, who was great, the Blazers were mostly rolling with guys who are a bit old for the Summer League. Whereas we played a core rotation of first-, second, and third-year guys, the Blazers were playing some guys out there who mostly had three or four years of experience.

Antonius Cleveland is 23 with four years of D-League experience.
Jorge Gutierrez is 29 or 30.
Jarnell Stokes is 23, drafted in 2014.
RJ Hunter is 24, drafted 2015
Swanigan, a rookie, and Jake Layman, a sophomore, were the only two first and second year players in their rotation.

Our rotation, by contrast, was

Wade Baldwin, 21 years old, drafted 2016
Wayne Selden, 23 years old, undrafted 2016
Rade Zagorac, 21 years old, drafted 2016
Jarell Martin, 23 years old, drafted 2015
Deyonta Davis, 21 years old, drafted 2016
Dillon Brooks, 21 years old, drafted 2017
Kobi Simmons, 20 years old, undrafted 2017.

Davis is only 20, but yeah, our guys are young.

10 hours ago, chipc3 said:

We'll know more about Rade, Books, Davis, Baldwin and the rest later. Summer league didn't show anyonete  anything other than what people wanted to see. People looking for Davis to be a certain type of player saw that (at least for one game). People wanted to see Selden play a certain way saw that. Even people wanting to see Baldwin play a certain way saw glimpses at least of that. 

However, summer league success or failure doesn't translate into NBA success of failure very directly. 

I guess you were seeing what you wanted to see too, scrubs, so you could validate your point that we don't have any real NBA level players?

10 hours ago, Herodotus said:

If I remember correctly, he shared an MVP trophy with one Kentavius Caldwell-Pope.

I remember Josh Selby sharing summer league MVP honors with Damien Lillard.  I didn't think Adams won, but maybe my memory isn't that good.

Herodotus    0

I looked it up. I was definitely thinking of Selby. But, then I pulled up a video of Jordan Adams going head to head with Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, who was the leading scorer in the Orlando summer league, but finished second to Elfrid Payton for MVP honors in a potentially-homerific vote (James Ennis finished 4th; Jordan Adams nearly led Orlando SL in steals per game and was 10th in points per game.)

(Also, I would like to clarify: I personally hated the Jordan Adams pick. I wanted us to take Glenn Robinson III. And I could understand Joerger's frustration, because Adams was possibly the worst athlete in the draft. But, that whole situation between coach and front office was dysfunctional and this was just one of many dysfunctional episodes.)

chipc3    0
11 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I guess you were seeing what you wanted to see too, scrubs, so you could validate your point that we don't have any real NBA level players?

I'm not saying that at all! I don't know what we have yet. I hope that the rookies can really produce in the big league. Some clearly need more experience but I am not giving up on any of them. I'm just not making a snap judgement from a flawed example set.