The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

cdp    0
16 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Lol. We need to develop them right? I mean that's what the board says. Can't give up on them

No definitely not givin up on them, yet lol. It's just right now it's pretty clear none of them have taken that next step aside from Selden maybe. Anyways how they play in preseason will be far more tellin.

SC Grizz    0
Just now, Kevin B Moses said:

Will this end in our lifetime? I don't even get the argument. Some people like what Davis has shown more than others

Start a thread about it and it will live forever ;)

chipc3    0
30 minutes ago, cdp said:

No definitely not givin up on them, yet lol. It's just right now it's pretty clear none of them have taken that next step aside from Selden maybe. Anyways how they play in preseason will be far more tellin.

I don't believe anyone thinks the team should give up on them yet. I also believe that it's nearly unanimous that no one outside of Selden has shown enough yet. 

I wouldn't hold too much stake in pre-season either for that matter but I would expect all the young players to look better than they have looked in summer league. They'll have more time to practice with veterans who will help them understand what will be expected of them on the team and the full coaching staff working with them.

Last yeas the Energy was divided between Memphis and Minnesota. That won't be a problem this year. This is another reason I am so pumped about the Memphis Hustle. The team's loyalty is no longer divided. Everyone on the Hustle will be playing from Fizdale's playbook and being watched by the Grizzlies staff and front office. By the end of the G League season we should have a much clearer understanding of who fits the system and who doesn't as well as who's working to improve and who's not. 

Michael D    0

I think the main reason players like Gasol and team management see potential in Davis is because he has the size, strength, and ability to be great.  That's it.  It's not based off of his present abilities.  He did not do anything impressive at Michigan State in his one year.  He hasn't really done anything special in the NBA or D league either.  He's nearly 7 feet tall and he's agile.  He is a potential prize just off of the fact that he's that big and is mobile.

Nobody wants to be the fool that let a potential starter or All Star big man get away.  He has the size and ability, he just needs to gain experience so they can determine if he is a bust or not.  The opportunity cost of developing him is a roster spot while he works on his game in the D league.  We need Wright or someone else manning the center spot so that the pressure isn't on Davis to back up Gasol.

Davis needs to be able to play spot minutes and play in the D league.  This team needs to flip Wright because he is too fragile to be counted on to give Gasol rest.  Davis is a keeper though without doubt.

chipc3    0

He also needs to develop a motor. He seems too passive to me. 

Blue Bear    0
11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'm excited about Selden and Brooks potential going forward.   

Without question, Brooks has been playing good basketball. I like his IQ and Selden has definitely showed us he is ready for the next level. We are going to have some good guards this year.

Blue Bear    0
25 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I've only caught the end of game and it but why isn't JMart playing at the end?

He just hasn't been effective in this and hurting the Grizzlies on the defensive end. Hunter also outplayed him on both ends of the floor. 

Ndq0327    0

Brooks and Seldon have been the best of the roster players

JWill4L    0

I'm a little disappointed with the things Baldwin and Davis have shown so far.

Baldwin is clearly not a PG, his basketball IQ is atrocious. Too many mistakes, too many head-down moves.

On the other hand, Selden and Brooks are gonna do fine in the league. Rade too. He's a system guy. He'll be way better with the main guys.

On 7/14/2017 at 0:50 PM, chipc3 said:

So what is your narrative? Is it that last night's game showed that "everyone that argued he needs a competent PG to meet his potential was correct" or that was it that DD proved he "was capable of being an offensive factor which you believe he showed from last night" or is it simply that when "the coaches tell him to be more involved offensively" that he can get 8 shots off in a game? You've been all over the place here. 

Not that it matters to me because any of these absolute comments you made aren't justified by a single summer league game.

My point has always been that one game doesn't make a big difference. That's all. One game in the summer league is simply one game and I can't draw too many conclusions about him from that one game. 

Selden is showing me something in summer league because he has brought it every night. He showed not only can he get hot and make some shots but he can create shots, draw fouls and score when the shots aren't falling over a number of games. If he only did it once it wouldn't mean that much to me. 

As for Davis' NBA career, his 36 games of predominantly mop up game experience didn't impress me that much. I hope he can continue to develop and show his promise more than one game out of 4 in summer league. He hasn't proven anything yet. 

I don't care what Selden did, this ain't the big league, this is the baby league. Gotta keep that in mind Chip.

4 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I've only caught the end of game and it but why isn't JMart playing at the end?

Other than the fact that there is a blockfest every time Jarrell is in the game?  Is it me, or does it seem like Martin gets his shot blocked more than any other Grizzlies player?  MIA had a shot blocking monster and it seems that everyone including Muggsy Bogues could throw Martin's shot back.  I think it doesn't bode well when your first round draft pick can't see the floor in crunch time of a summer league game in his third season in the league.

24 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Other than the fact that there is a blockfest every time Jarrell is in the game?  Is it me, or does it seem like Martin gets his shot blocked more than any other Grizzlies player?  MIA had a shot blocking monster and it seems that everyone including Muggsy Bogues could throw Martin's shot back.  I think it doesn't bode well when your first round draft pick can't see the floor in crunch time of a summer league game in his third season in the league.

he gets blocked a lot because he shots his layups like there jumpshot...just go back and look you will see what I'm talking bout...bt I haven't gave up on him yet...I say give him a couple more years...plus you have to remember martin is playin with an injury (thumb)

54 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

he gets blocked a lot because he shots his layups like there jumpshot...

Yup I've noticed the same thing. Very odd

redeye    0

Breaking News... The Grizzlies are the only NBA team that can't dunk!

grizzgolf    0

You know. I really want this summer league title. I'm counting down till 6 my time tonight for the game!

lsugrizzfan    0

I'm really happy that they keep finding ways to win. I am happy that Selden has looked like he could be a rotation level player. I think Kobi Simmons will be a good player to have on a two way contract. I like Deyonta Davis...in flashes. I am like Chip in that I wish he would be more aggressive.

I'm disappointed that Deyonta Davis was a -18 and Jarrell Martin was a -19....in a freaking summer league game. That is pathetic. But I also understand it is just one game and hope it was just a weird coincidence. I hate that we ignore shooters even on our summer league roster. I hate watching Wade Baldwin play; it truly seems like he has no clue what he is doing.

46 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I'm really happy that they keep finding ways to win. I am happy that Selden has looked like he could be a rotation level player. I think Kobi Simmons will be a good player to have on a two way contract. I like Deyonta Davis...in flashes. I am like Chip in that I wish he would be more aggressive.

I'm disappointed that Deyonta Davis was a -18 and Jarrell Martin was a -19....in a freaking summer league game. That is pathetic. But I also understand it is just one game and hope it was just a weird coincidence. I hate that we ignore shooters even on our summer league roster. I hate watching Wade Baldwin play; it truly seems like he has no clue what he is doing.

We have shooters on our summer league team?  Who are they?

What channel is the game on?

costarica2    0

Selden is the Westbrook of the summer league no one has rly stop him so far .

The rest of our players are all average at best.