The_PROOF

MEM Summer League Thread

2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

One game in summer league is not confirmation of anything. 

Depending on what the confirmation is about.    I wanted to see if they actually got him the ball in a good position can he score.   Last nights game showed that. 

Summer League can show that a player has legit athleticism, shooting, or passing ability.    If you are evaluating a particular skill then Yes a Summer League game or two can prove it.   

What it doesn't show is whether someone will be a complete bust or a Star.  

chipc3    0
Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Depending on what the confirmation is about.    I wanted to see if they actually got him the ball in a good position can he score.   Last nights game showed that. 

Summer League can show that a player has legit athleticism, shooting, or passing ability.    If you are evaluating a particular skill then Yes a Summer League game or two can prove it.   

What it doesn't show is whether someone will be a complete bust or a Star.  

Did Baldwin's shooting show you he can score in the NBA? He was hot and made some ridiculous shots I would have wanted him benched for even taking. Same with Davis. He was hot. If he can start putting some games together like this one it will be more encouraging but one game doesn't prove anything to me. 

chipc3    0

One thing is for certain from this summer league season. The rookies are definitely Grizzlies because no matter how lousy the competition they figure out a way to keep the game close every night. :lol:  

10 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Did Baldwin's shooting show you he can score in the NBA? He was hot and made some ridiculous shots I would have wanted him benched for even taking. Same with Davis. He was hot. If he can start putting some games together like this one it will be more encouraging but one game doesn't prove anything to me

Well that's you.  I wanted to see if DD was capable of being an offensive factor and he showed that.  

I am pretty sure that all the NBA execs, coaches, and FO didn't decide to waste time and money to have these young guys play games that doesn't help them evaluate their talent in anyway. 

I hope I am not only one who couldn't agree that Wade is about a bust. I hope his sadly slow progress is a result of such a plan that contemplates him rather working on weaknesses and boring fundamental things than preparing to immediate contribution at the NBA level as a 9th-10th bencher.

chipc3    0
6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Well that's you.  I wanted to see if DD was capable of being an offensive factor and he showed that.  

I am pretty sure that all the NBA execs, coaches, and FO didn't decide to waste time and money to have these young guys play games that doesn't help them evaluate their talent in anyway. 

Hence the concept of summer league all-stars from fans.

One game is not a representative sample size. Let's see how he does on Saturday. Can he follow up a nice shooting game with a second game? People get too fired up about summer league in general and now one game out of 4 in summer league proves a player can score? Please. 

NBA execs like the summer leagues because it is a stepping stone between college/Europe and the NBA game which is very different from summer league games. If you believe an NBA exec is going to try and trade for someone based off of one game in summer league you are fooling yourself. The evaluation of the players talents occurred prior to summer league. The were evaluated for the draft and signed to summer league teams if they didn't get drafted because the FO saw something they liked before hand. I hope no serious front office person is making decisions based on one summer league game. This is simply a stepping off point to prepare players for training camp and the real league. 

If Davis fails to perform in training camp and in the pre-season I pray no one in the front office says "But he had that great game in summer league. That proves he can play." 

Dwash    0

I would have to agree with Chip. If a player has legitimate league skills, one game means nothing in Summer League. That skill should be noticeable in almost every game against Summer League competition for it to even be considered as legit.

May be DD will never shoot at the reliable percentage at the NBA level, but what is remarkable to me is his progress in this area for the last 1 year. It is pretty noticeable. Thus my hope is still alive.

I've never warched this much Summer League games but I am happy to see DD progressing. He is starting to look comfortable shooting mid range jumpers. I am still hoping Wade can take it to the next level...Why shouldn't I? He is a Memphis Grizzly and I will support him no matter what. 

Ndq0327    0
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Who is this Mike James beast?

We will never hear from him again unfortunately he will just fade away like all unheralded players

My impressions of the grizzlies summer league.

Rade's ability to take the ball off the rim and go coast to coast is eye popping. When is the last time we've had a small foward on our team be able to do that with his frame and athletic ability.

People are being way too critical of baldwin. The guy got more boards than deyonta did last game and he went 8-11, 2 of 3 from 3. And only 2 turnovers.

We need to cut bait on Jarell. The guy should be dominating this league and he looks lost.

And finally, deyonta davis, I have not been impressed by him, mainly because he looks slow and uncoordinated. I don't really care about his offense. But I do care about the way he moves on the court. At best he looks a long way a ways.

22 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I would have to agree with Chip. If a player has legitimate league skills, one game means nothing in Summer League. That skill should be noticeable in almost every game against Summer League competition for it to even be considered as legit.

Well you agree with Chip because he changed the narrative of the argument as usual.   He made the entire argument about ONE DAY being a determining factor in a player's future in the NBA.   That was never my point and you have to have on "ChipGlasses" to read that into my comments. 

30 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

One game is not a representative sample size. Let's see how he does on Saturday. Can he follow up a nice shooting game with a second game? People get too fired up about summer league in general and now one game out of 4 in summer league proves a player can score? Please. 

Now reread my quote and notice how he took it COMPLETELY out of context to make his point.  Like he always does.   

36 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

See maybe Chip didn't listen to Coach Cyprian on the podcast and interviews and didn't know that he stated that exact same thing i am saying about wanting to see progress from guys in the form of consistency, aggressiveness, BBIQ, and motor.  That's what he wanted to see and the Coach specifically wanted DD to be more involved with the offense.     

52 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I didn't say anything about DD becoming a "scorer" from a one game sample size.  So come on Chip try again!

I saw Wade passed several times to open spot up shooters but the shooter missed those shots. If he is playing with Gasol, Conley, McLemore and Parsons in a regular season game, that would've got his assist to 6 or 7 which is not bad for a PG. 

12 minutes ago, BeastModeGrizz said:

I saw Wade passed several times to open spot up shooters but the shooter missed those shots. If he is playing with Gasol, Conley, McLemore and Parsons in a regular season game, that would've got his assist to 6 or 7 which is not bad for a PG. 

I think people like they always do have picked a side and will stick to it to the bitter end.

Anything Davis does that is bad is unimportant, but all his good plays are hyped to no end.

People believed mike is overpaid, so he could go out and have the 5th best efficiency in the playoffs and they brush it under the rug.

Would you rather have james harden at 228  million or conley at 150 million. Ummmmmm

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

My impressions of the grizzlies summer league.

Rade's ability to take the ball off the rim and go coast to coast is eye popping. When is the last time we've had a small foward on our team be able to do that with his frame and athletic ability.

People are being way too critical of baldwin. The guy got more boards than deyonta did last game and he went 8-11, 2 of 3 from 3. And only 2 turnovers.

We need to cut bait on Jarell. The guy should be dominating this league and he looks lost.

And finally, deyonta davis, I have not been impressed by him, mainly because he looks slow and uncoordinated. I don't really care about his offense. But I do care about the way he moves on the court. At best he looks a long way a ways.

You are missing the point. Baldwin is bad and no matter how many games he plays well in he will always be bad. Davis is good and therefore any game he looks halfway decent is it to be celebrated as a step forward and proof of his talent. 

chipc3    0
2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Really glad that Davis rekindled some  hope yesterday.    His production showed that everyone that argued he needs a competent PG to meet his potential was correct.    

2 hours ago, chipc3 said:

One game in summer league is not confirmation of anything. 

This is how the conversation started with GTF by the way. Talk about changing the narrative. :rolleyes:

36 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

This is how the conversation started with GTF by the way. Talk about changing the narrative. :rolleyes:

Nothing in that statement would lend anyone other than yourself to conclude i was saying he could become some NBA scorer based off one summer league game.  That is how you changed the narrative.      By the way you can't quantify someone's definition of "hope" it is a completely subjective thing.  

Nevermind the fact that Davis isn't a rookie so there is actual footage of him showing potential in real NBA games.    

chipc3    0
9 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Nothing in that statement would lend anyone other than yourself to conclude i was saying he could become some NBA scorer based off one summer league game.  That is how you changed the narrative.      By the way you can't quantify someone's definition of "hope" it is a completely subjective thing.  

Nevermind the fact that Davis isn't a rookie so there is actual footage of him showing potential in real NBA games.    

His production showed that everyone that argued he needs a competent PG to meet his potential was correct. 

So what is your narrative? Is it that last night's game showed that "everyone that argued he needs a competent PG to meet his potential was correct" or that was it that DD proved he "was capable of being an offensive factor which you believe he showed from last night" or is it simply that when "the coaches tell him to be more involved offensively" that he can get 8 shots off in a game? You've been all over the place here. 

Not that it matters to me because any of these absolute comments you made aren't justified by a single summer league game.

My point has always been that one game doesn't make a big difference. That's all. One game in the summer league is simply one game and I can't draw too many conclusions about him from that one game. 

Selden is showing me something in summer league because he has brought it every night. He showed not only can he get hot and make some shots but he can create shots, draw fouls and score when the shots aren't falling over a number of games. If he only did it once it wouldn't mean that much to me. 

As for Davis' NBA career, his 36 games of predominantly mop up game experience didn't impress me that much. I hope he can continue to develop and show his promise more than one game out of 4 in summer league. He hasn't proven anything yet. 

SC Grizz    0
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Selden is showing me something in summer league because he has brought it every night. He showed not only can he get hot and make some shots but he can create shots, draw fouls and score when the shots aren't falling over a number of games. If he only did it once it wouldn't mean that much to me. 

As for Davis' NBA career, his 36 games of predominantly mop up game experience didn't impress me that much. I hope he can continue to develop and show his promise more than one game out of 4 in summer league. He hasn't proven anything yet. 

This seems like the reality that can be taken from our SL games thusfar.

The only dude who we (Grizzlies fans) should expect will be in the rotation AND actually contribute next year is Selden. Honestly, even that statement is not a forgone conclusion.

DD, Brooks, Rade, Baldwin and Martin have not proven anything - I agree 100% with that. One good game against a bunch of scrubs means nothing.

chipc3    0
1 minute ago, SC Grizz said:

This seems like the reality that can be taken from our SL games thusfar.

The only dude who we (Grizzlies fans) should expect will be in the rotation AND actually contribute next year is Selden. Honestly, even that statement is not a forgone conclusion.

DD, Brooks, Rade, Baldwin and Martin have not proven anything - I agree 100% with that. One good game against a bunch of scrubs means nothing.

Thanks. I was beginning to think no one understood this simple fact. 

3 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Thanks. I was beginning to think no one understood this simple fact. 

I already answered your question dude.    I said you can't quantify someone else's definition of "Hope" and/or "potential".   You can continue to make it all about "one freaking game" if you want.  And I can freely say something shown in One game, half, or quarter gave me hope as i am free to have an opinion.   You don't have to share it for it to be a solid opinion.  

But i keep forgetting you take everything literally and can't fully grasp concepts (Such as hope or potential) so i am done wasting my time.    

Now if you were smart you could've debated the "everyone that argued he needs a competent PG to meet his potential was correct" because that is a better debate.   But..... 

chipc3    0

I honestly thought saying "One game in summer league is not confirmation of anything" to not be argumentative or upsetting anyone's hope or potential for a player.

Go ahead and believe what you want, dream the dream if it makes you feel better. However, one game doesn't prove anything no matter how much you want to believe it to be true. That's my opinion and no matter how much you want to argue back and forth about what you meant, what I have consistently said is my opinion and one shared by a few others here.