Memfizz

Anybody else low on optimism for this season?

King Dork    0
7 hours ago, Grizzled Vet said:

You do know that fan is short for fanatic?

It comes from the Modern Latin fanaticus, meaning "insanely but divinely inspired" (per wikipedia)

636084399610210587-106012658_9a4.png

Y'all can keep your insanity. I'll stay cozied up in reality. Where this team will win 35 games. 

Ndq0327    0

The fact that we still don't have Jam back compounded with DD and Jarell both looking meh to say the least I really need this Ivan Rabb pick to work out cause if he's on the main roster and we don't make any moves to shore that position up I can see a lot of disappointment.

Hopefully DD will look better playing with a pg that can create for him and get him more involved. Cause right now it's confusing how lackadaisical he plays 

GF#1    0
2 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

The fact that we still don't have Jam back compounded with DD and Jarell both looking meh to say the least I really need this Ivan Rabb pick to work out cause if he's on the main roster and we don't make any moves to shore that position up I can see a lot of disappointment.

Hopefully DD will look better playing with a pg that can create for him and get him more involved. Cause right now it's confusing how lackadaisical he plays 

I think the longer this Jam thing goes, the better.

chipc3    0
On 7/8/2017 at 3:31 PM, Father Pat said:

He's on the take from the Campbell clinic.

rofl_exmple_image_2.png?1468040493

I think some folks are too worried about Davis' offensive game.  If he makes good progress in defense and rebounding he will be very useful.

chipc3    0
On 7/7/2017 at 6:04 PM, Memfizz said:

Anyone else?  I just haven't been so unexcited for a season in years.

Losing Zbo and Vince isn't killer to our overall talent, but we didn't get anything for it to be excited about except cap space.. Which is hogged by Conley Parsons Gasol anyways.

The bigger issue here is they really kept our mojo afloat imo.  Our team always struggled to keep a good mentality throughout the whole season, but the two guys who kept their chin up and would right the ship was always Zbo and Vince.  They were a lot of the heart and it seemed like the team looked up to them.. The city loved them on and off and it brought an extra energy.

We don't have any ultra rookies to be excited about. Our only new face to get much burn is Maclemore..

Gasol and Parsons don't necessarily excite anyone or lead us, which we need, quite the opposite actually.

Conley is going to burn out again with this squad, it's all on his shoulders, again..

Warriors are going to dominate even more now, we can't try grinding them.

Not trying to be negative but I just have a bad feeling about this season where we're at.

Best case scenario: We find a new identity and solid offense defense, Parsons gets comfortable, we get a 4-8 seed.

But I see us falling to a 8-10 seed purgatory with Denver, Wolves, and dare I say Kings improving. Just sending like no man's land and minus a big part our heart.

I am definitely on MemFizz' side of the fence right now. I want to believe that the 6 knee operations between Chancun and Reke won't affect them negatively on the court or be a recurring problem but that is a leap of faith I am struggling with. I've asked this many times before without an answer but does anyone know of a player who's returned from 3 knee injuries to be even 80% of the player he was before the surgeries?

I believe Wallace has a good mind for finding value late in drafts but he isn't infallible and lately the picks have become more and more of a reach in my opinion. He seems to be relying heavily on high school recommendations sites and less and less on actual play on the court in college and elsewhere. What's worse he has left people shaking their heads with 1st round picks (Adams over Hood, Martin, Baldwin) and the preponderance of 2nd round picks (Davis, Rade, Rabb and Brooks) and the future isn't looking very bright either. 

I love Gasol and Conley and believe they can get the team to .500 assuming they remain healthy. Anything better than that requires a lot of hope that I am unable to muster right now. You have to believe Parsons and Evans will beat the bank on knee injuries, McLemore will show what he wasn't able to in Sacramento, Seldon will develop into more than he's shown, someone will emerge at PF, that Green will return and also that either Wright or Davis can handle more than 15 MPG behind Gasol. 

That's a lot of hoping. 

Ndq0327    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I am definitely on MemFizz' side of the fence right now. I want to believe that the 6 knee operations between Chancun and Reke won't affect them negatively on the court or be a recurring problem but that is a leap of faith I am struggling with. I've asked this many times before without an answer but does anyone know of a player who's returned from 3 knee injuries to be even 80% of the player he was before the surgeries?

I believe Wallace has a good mind for minding value late in drafts but he isn't infallible and lately the picks have become more and more of a reach in my opinion. He seems to be relying heavily on high school recommendations sites and less and less on actual play on the court in college and elsewhere. What's worse he has left people shaking their heads with 1st round picks (Adams over Hood, Martin, Baldwin) and the preponderance of 2nd round picks (Davis, Rade, Rabb and Brooks) and the future isn't looking very bright either. 

I love Gasol and Conley and believe they can get the team to .500 assuming they remain healthy. Anything better than that requires a lot of hope that I am unable to muster right now. You have to believe Parsons and Evans will beat the bank on knee injuries, McLemore will show what he wasn't able to in Sacramento, Seldon will develop into more than he's shown, someone will emerge at PF, that Green will return and also that either Wright or Davis can handle more than 15 MPG behind Gasol. 

That's a lot of hoping. 

Agreed if only our young players werent such mysteries we'd have a better grasp of what could be 

Paladin    0

I am discouraged.  We have no backup center, and Marc will become more injury prone if he doesn't have a backup.  Davis has yet to demonstrate that he can fulfill the role at present.  Wright has demonstrated that he can't.  Maybe we will have a solid pg when one of the projects develop, but we don't have a dependable pg, and that means Mike, like Marc, will be more injury prone.  And neither Marc nor Mike will be effective in the fourth quarter without rest.

We have lost the people who made us tough--TA and Zbo--and we have lost Vince's nurturing young players.  And despite their ages, each of those three contributed greatly to last year's success.

We don't know if Parsons will be effective, nor do Ben or Tyreke seem to be starters or even effective off the bench.

And, at present, we don't even have a starting power forward.

As I write, I become more discouraged.

Michael D    0
On 7/13/2017 at 9:52 AM, GF#1 said:

I think the longer this Jam thing goes, the better.

Yeah, Memphis holds all the power.  His agent doesn't appear to have the connects in the league to get Jam a lucrative offer.  All of the media outlets were saying JAM would be in the $12-$15 million dollar a year range but that's probably not going to happen since no other teams are biting.

Michael D    0

Aww mane

Reading this thread is making me depressed.

Memphis should just mail it in

18 minutes ago, Michael D said:

Yeah, Memphis holds all the power.  His agent doesn't appear to have the connects in the league to get Jam a lucrative offer.  All of the media outlets were saying JAM would be in the $12-$15 million dollar a year range but that's probably not going to happen since no other teams are biting.

What media outlets said that? I saw people on this board saying that. I barely saw any media outlets even mention JaM. I mean, you probably did see that but I didn't.

5 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

What media outlets said that? I saw people on this board saying that. I barely saw any media outlets even mention JaM. I mean, you probably did see that but I didn't.

It was the three stooges, Herrington, Vernon and tillery. Cam, Peter Edmiston, and caulkins surely too.

So the board took it as fact.

I said all along he'd be lucky to get 12 million a year, that teams don't pay high dollar for a guy that can't score.

chipc3    0

Look on the bright side, if your expectations are low enough, you can only be surprised on the upside! 

Until the Grizz actually do have a 30-something win season again, there's no reason to be pessimistic about the upcoming season.  We really don't have a clue.

Over half the roster is basically the same player; young, hungry, athletic.  Then we've got Conley/Gasol, which, love them or hate them, were always going to lead the next iteration once Z-bo and Allen left.  The only question ever was, who was going to be around them?

I will not compare Conley/Gasol to Penny/Shaq, but I will compare this team to those Orlando teams in this - we have a talented Point Guard combined with a Center who could command a double-team if he were aggressive enough, and he'd have plenty of guys to kick out a 3-ball to.  Depending on how they approach the offense, this could be a very entertaining team to watch.  Whether or not they have enough overall talent, I don't know.  There have been plenty of teams in this league to form a "dynamic duo" and not much else, and be playoff-caliber.  The Conley evolution continues. And at least in early photos, we may be seeing Motivated Marc again this season.

Realistically, I think it's coin toss whether or not we can make it into the playoffs again.  Too many unknowns.  But Fizz's first season, he showed me that he's capable of leading this team into the modern era.  So now it's just a question of whether or not some of these dice rolls will come up sevens.  If we somehow missed the playoffs but found an emerging talent (or two), optimism still found.

Allen    0
On 8/21/2017 at 7:12 PM, Memfizz said:

'I'll miss you bro' :( dude had some moments with us

He was slaw for two years and then barely decent last year

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, chipc3 said:

I believe Wallace has a good mind for finding value late in drafts but he isn't infallible and lately the picks have become more and more of a reach in my opinion. He seems to be relying heavily on high school recommendations sites and less and less on actual play on the court in college and elsewhere. What's worse he has left people shaking their heads with 1st round picks (Adams over Hood, Martin, Baldwin) and the preponderance of 2nd round picks (Davis, Rade, Rabb and Brooks) and the future isn't looking very bright either. 

That's a lot of hoping. 

but does anyone know of a player who's returned from 3 knee injuries to be even 80% of the player he was before the surgeries?

answer to your question: via reuters health

(Reuters Health) - Many athletes can continue to play sports after multiple surgeries to fix a damaged knee ligament, but only about half of them perform as well as they did before their injury, an analysis of previous research suggests.

Researchers examined data on athletes who had one surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), the connective tissue in the knee that keeps the shin bone from sliding in front of the thigh bone, and then a second procedure to revise the surgery or address a new injury.

After an average of about five years, 84 percent of the athletes still played sports, but only half of them returned to high-level competition, the analysis found.

Memfizz    0
8 hours ago, Allen said:

Naw Vince was cool. Honestly, probably didn't deserve to be tossed into a dump it inside every possession, even if it's Koufos, system like Memphis was. He was great in Dallas and then great again once Fiz showed up.

Nonetheless, it's a cool mix for Grizzly fans.

El Guapo    0
12 hours ago, Allen said:

Nope.

Blackwatch    0

Too many things have to fall in place for them to be even in contention for the 8th spot in the West. Conley and Gasol alone will not keep this team in the playoffs, not enough consistent scoring between them to complete for a playoff spot in Fizz's system.  The talent just isn't on the roster to really compete the way Fizz wants to compete. Maybe a couple of drafts will improve the talent but next year is looking bleak.

GF#1    0
2 hours ago, Blackwatch said:

Too many things have to fall in place for them to be even in contention for the 8th spot in the West. Conley and Gasol alone will not keep this team in the playoffs, not enough consistent scoring between them to complete for a playoff spot in Fizz's system.  The talent just isn't on the roster to really compete the way Fizz wants to compete. Maybe a couple of drafts will improve the talent but next year is looking bleak.

Assuming reasonable health, the team will make the playoffs.

Which teams do you foresee finishing ahead of the Grizzlies, assuming Conley/Gasol are available for 80%+ of the season?

chipc3    0
17 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Assuming reasonable health, the team will make the playoffs.

Which teams do you foresee finishing ahead of the Grizzlies, assuming Conley/Gasol are available for 80%+ of the season?

In no particular order: Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Blazers, Jazz, Nuggets, TWolves and Pelicans all have legitimate claims to be better on paper than the Grizzlies. Throw in the history of health issues with players counted on to provide significant contributions and it is possible all the teams could pass the Grizzlies. 

What does "reasonable health" even mean in Memphis? Conley broke his back last season and people around here say he was reasonably healthy after all. 

22 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

In no particular order: Warriors, Rockets, Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Blazers, Jazz, Nuggets, TWolves and Pelicans all have legitimate claims to be better on paper than the Grizzlies. Throw in the history of health issues with players counted on to provide significant contributions and it is possible all the teams could pass the Grizzlies. 

What does "reasonable health" even mean in Memphis? Conley broke his back last season and people around here say he was reasonably healthy after all. 

clippers/pelicans/nuggets/jazz all have health issues also...are you take that into consideration

GF#1    0
27 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I said if Conley/Gasol play 80+% of the games? That seems pretty reasonable to me.

We've discussed this before. I think you're overrating the Nuggets, Pelicans, and Clippers.