Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Grizzlies Signed Tyreke Evans

Some important factors about Tyreke;

Prior to last season, he was always a starter. He should do better if he comes off of the bench against other teams 2nd units. He is still in his prime. While with N.O. he had hurt his knee(s?) and ankle. His shooting %'s weren't bad for a guy without his legs in good health. Most importantly, his 3.3 mil contract with the Grizzlies is the lowest amount that he has ever signed for, and he did so at the end of just the first week of free agency. The amount is less than a third of what he received last season. To me, this screams that he is still injured and will not be expected to contribute much if any this coming season. I imagine he won't be contributing any more than Parsons did last season.

39 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Prior to last season, he was always a starter. He should do better if he comes off of the bench against other teams 2nd units. He is still in his prime. While with N.O. he had hurt his knee(s?) and ankle. His shooting %'s weren't bad for a guy without his legs in good health. Most importantly, his 3.3 mil contract with the Grizzlies is the lowest amount that he has ever signed for, and he did so at the end of just the first week of free agency. The amount is less than a third of what he received last season. To me, this screams that he is still injured and will not be expected to contribute much if any this coming season. I imagine he won't be contributing any more than Parsons did last season.

Oh come on now! Reke gave Memphis a college discount. He only signed for one season so that he could prove he is healthy and sign for much more next summer. 

AB05.jpg

40 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Oh come on now! Reke gave Memphis a college discount. He only signed for one season so that he could prove he is healthy and sign for much more next summer. 

AB05.jpg

Hope so!

Well the Grizzlies needed a backup point guard and Tyreke is an upgrade over Andrew Harrison and Wade Baldwin a.k.a Jeremy Pargo 2.0 and Josh Selby 2.0, but then again who isn't. Didn't many options (Thanks to Chris Wallace himself).

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

That makes no sense if you think the contract is based on health and production this year then y do you sign him if he's not expected to contribute. This contract seems more like a tryout deal and if he performs well they will give him  a long term deal next season. And according to his brother he's healthy

32 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

That makes no sense if you think the contract is based on health and production this year then y do you sign him if he's not expected to contribute. This contract seems more like a tryout deal and if he performs well they will give him  a long term deal next season. And according to his brother he's healthy

Well if his brother says he's healthy...

Seriously, if he wasn't healthy he wouldn't have played last season. Evans is healthy. The question is, now that he's healthy will he be the same player he was prior to the injuries. 

I might add that's the same question I am asking about Chandler Parsons. 

I like the fact that he is doing a 1 year and betting that he will have a good season to show out and get a bigger contract. Players in contract years tend to play really well...who knew.

3 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Besides the other videos i posted from his time after the trade this year.  This shows that he is indeed healthy.  Like NDQ stated this is a one year deal to prove himself to the league again for the bigger payday.   Unlike Parsons vids Tyreke is actually making Bball moves in this.  Reke is healthy the only concern you should have is whether he can fit his game into Fiz system. 

But you do have to wonder what teams are saying about him that forces him to sign for 3.3 million. It isnt health because Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, Rudy Gay, Parsons (had an offer from Portland too) even Blake Griffin are health risks and they got paid a lot more. Heck even Brandan Wright makes more when the cap was half as big as it is now and he is hurt every year. I can only think GMs and coaches arent very fond of his play style.

1 minute ago, Dwash said:

But you do have to wonder what teams are saying about him that forces him to sign for 3.3 million. It isnt health because Eric Gordon, Ryan Anderson, Rudy Gay, Parsons (had an offer from Portland too) even Blake Griffin are health risks and they got paid a lot more. Heck even Brandan Wright makes more when the cap was half as big as it is now and he is hurt every year. I can only think GMs and coaches arent very fond of his play style.

Thats a legit question but the same sorta thing happened with Waiters last season too.   He had a pretty good outing with OKC in the playoffs yet teams still weren't willing to take a chance on him due to his reputation.   He went to MIA on a cheap 1yr deal even though everyone else was getting paid.  He proved it was no fluke and now is getting the bigger payday from MIA.   

My hope is that Tyreke has the same trajectory as Waiters and James Johnson.  Not arguing that he is a potential Star player anymore but i do think his skillset is needed for a team like ours. 

7 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Why? I don't. Either it it works or it doesn't. Is anyone worrying why we signed McLemore for the partial mid level? KCP was drafted after him and got a $18 mil for 1 year.

21 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Why? I don't. Either it it works or it doesn't. Is anyone worrying why we signed McLemore for the partial mid level? KCP was drafted after him and got a $18 mil for 1 year.

Yeah but we already admit that McLemore is a bit player at best, people seem to be thinking that Tyreke could be one of the best players on the team.

Just now, Dwash said:

Yeah but we already admit that McLemore is a bit player at best, people are saying Tyreke could be one of the best players on the team.

How many people are really saying that? Tyreke has been a more aggressive scorer than anyone on our roster throughout his career and that's how you use him. Obviously, with the knee injuries, no one knows his real fate. I'm just looking for him to provide scoring off if the bench. If it doesn't work, so be it. Cut him.With that being said, after Mike and Marc, who are our best players on this team? I have no idea.

When you look at the contracts offered it seems to me that the Grizz have more faith in McLemore than Evans. They gave him an extra year im his deal with more money annually so they committed to McLemore more than they did Evans. Why would people just assume he's a bit player? He could legit be our starting SG next year, which is worrisome for me but I don't think they signed him to be a bit player. He's our second most experienced SG after Tyreke(if you classify Tyreke as SG) so I'm sure he will see significant pt. He's a bigger risk to me than  Tyreke.

17 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

How many people are really saying that? Tyreke has been a more aggressive scorer than anyone on our roster throughout his career and that's how you use him. Obviously, with the knee injuries, no one knows his real fate. I'm just looking for him to provide scoring off if the bench. If it doesn't work, so be it. Cut him.With that being said, after Mike and Marc, who are our best players on this team? I have no idea.

When you look at the contracts offered it seems to me that the Grizz have more faith in McLemore than Evans. They gave him an extra year im his deal with more money annually so they committed to McLemore more than they did Evans. Why would people just assume he's a bit player? He could legit be our starting SG next year, which is worrisome for me but I don't think they signed him to be a bit player. He's our second most experienced SG after Tyreke(if you classify Tyreke as SG) so I'm sure he will see significant pt. He's a bigger risk to me than  Tyreke.

McLemore probably had more interest on the market due to him only having 4 years experience and teams using the "he needs to get away from Sacramento" excuse. Although not as talented, at worst he is a safe pick because he can shoot and has the perceived athleticism to defend.

Mclemore comes across as more likely to just fit in.

Sure he's healthy. Like Vince was healthy when we signed him, or Wright, or Parsons. Chris Wallace type of healthy. I get it.

50 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Sure he's healthy. Like Vince was healthy when we signed him, or Wright, or Parsons. Chris Wallace type of healthy. I get it.

The man has a point

1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

11 minutes ago, Jpmorris1022 said:

The man has a point

its a risk...bt It can get you a great player on the cheap...look at Houston and Gordon for example...he went from being injury prone to 6thman type of player...and could be starting on a lot of teams.

7 minutes ago, PutARingOnIt#GrizzFan said:

its a risk...bt It can get you a great player on the cheap...look at Houston and Gordon for example...he went from being injury prone to 6thman type of player...and could be starting on a lot of teams.

But to Father Pat's point...there is a difference between taking a risk, and having it be your free agent strategy.

1 minute ago, Grizzled Vet said:

But to Father Pat's point...there is a difference between taking a risk, and having it be your free agent strategy.

hey the more fish in the barrel...the better I guess...but if one of the guys stays health and live up to their potential where a sure fire playoff team...get two and we may be in contender talks.

conley/evans/parsons/jam/gasol is one heck of a starting five.

I also think there is a difference between the Parsons risk and Tyreke risk.

Getting a player at near minimum for 1 year is not much of a downside.  He could be an outstanding pick up.

22 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Who exactly does he need to be a team player with on the second unit? James Ennis? Andrew Harrison? Wade Baldwin? DD Davis? Ivan Rabb?  Like I said, as long as he tosses the ball out to a wide-open TD for 3, I'm fine. He's averaged 5 apg throughout his career. That would have been second on the team last year, lol.

As far as him not being a team player, how many 6th men really are? I mean look at recent 6MOY-Lou WIlliams, JR Smith, Jamal Crawford, James Harden, etc How many of those guys are team players? They are gunners. Hired hitmen that are hired to go out and put up points for the bench. Tyreke has a higher career apg average than all of those guys with the exception of Harden who turned into a starter. I'm totally fine with a healthy Tyreke dominating the ball on the second unit and putting up points (if healthy). I don't see why that would be an issue. With the exception of last year with Z-Bo as a 6th Man, this team has struggled with finding scoring off of the bench. If healthy and used correctly, Tyreke provides scoring off the bench and at 1 year, $3.25 mil, we can dump him at any time if it doesn't work out or he gets injured. This is so low risk to me that I can't understand why people would have an issue. If it doesn't work out, just cut him. 

Do you think we could have gotten a better "team player" that would produce for a $3.25 million contract? There are only 5 guys on this entire team that have averaged double digits for an entire season and McLemore only did it 1 year. Tyreke has been a scorer, let him score. 

Who are you trying to convince?  You asked what I thought would happen, I told you what I thought would happen.  I would be completely happy if he were comeback player of the year.  I just don't see it happening.

Bump!

I swear too many fans aren't really appreciating what he is bringing to the team so far this year. 

Tyreke is avg 12ppg shooting .44% from three and 45% from the field.  While playing solid defense and leading our potent second unit.   

Everyone crying about who is the 3rd best player after Mike and Marc but neglecting to acknowledge Reke is blind.   Tyreke and Parsons have been on the same level their entire career.   Only reason why people treat Parsons like he is some savior over Reke is the pay rate.   Reke is going to be the most consistent scorer for our team all season.   WE ALREADY HAVE A BIG THREE Mike Marc Reke and if Parsons comes along then they will be the new CORE4.   mark my words. 

Reke, Mario and Ben are gonna be the sneaky best free agent pickups in the last 8 seasons.   

11 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Bump!

I swear too many fans aren't really appreciating what he is bringing to the team so far this year. 

Tyreke is avg 12ppg shooting .44% from three and 45% from the field.  While playing solid defense and leading our potent second unit.   

Everyone crying about who is the 3rd best player after Mike and Marc but neglecting to acknowledge Reke is blind.   Tyreke and Parsons have been on the same level their entire career.   Only reason why people treat Parsons like he is some savior over Reke is the pay rate.   Reke is going to be the most consistent scorer for our team all season.   WE ALREADY HAVE A BIG THREE Mike Marc Reke and if Parsons comes along then they will be the new CORE4.   mark my words. 

Reke, Mario and Ben are gonna be the sneaky best free agent pickups in the last 8 seasons.   

Absolutely. Like i said in the game thread, CW looking like a genius right now lol. Hot seat my ***.

42 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Bump!

This is wrong. Parsons, in Houston, was a beast. Reke has always been a lowiq basketball player. You are going to love him when he makes those prayers. You just need to understand that a lot of the shots he is making can cost you a game when they don't go in, which is inevitable. It will happen.