Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Grizzlies Signed Tyreke Evans

Dwash    0
Just now, GrizzTigerFan said:

Conley had no help which allowed kawhi to guard him in those pivotal games.  All we needed was one more perimeter scorer to shift the outcome.  I mean at the very least we would've gone to 7games. 

Tyreke cant shoot and goes mostly right he has moments but he isnt that hard to guard when you really need to stop him and he is about as useless as TA without the ball if not more cause he doesnt o-board. Just a bad player in a real system.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Tyreke cant shoot and goes mostly right he has moments but he isnt that hard to guard when you really need to stop him and he is about as useless as TA without the ball if not more cause he doesnt o-board. Just a bad player in a real system.

That's exactly what I fear he'll be for us. A fancy dribbling TA. However, I just remind myself itsa 3 mil 1 year

edit: a TA without the defensive*

7 hours ago, Dwash said:

6 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

That's exactly what I fear he'll be for us. A fancy dribbling TA. However, I just remind myself itsa 3 mil 1 year

edit: a TA without the defensive*

So who is he going to take shots away from? And if he's so easy to stop because everyone knows he's going right, how has he consistently averaged double digits points throughout his NBA career even through injury? I mean if you know this surely opposing teams na dplayers know this right? So he should be avg 2 ppg right?  In no way am I singing the praises of Tyreke, he's a highly flawed player. I'm just saying for $3.25 mil, this is the best we could do and if you look at his historical production, we have a pretty good idea of what he will do. He is by no means a perfect player but who is? Especially on a 1 year $3.25 million contract.

So I pose the question again, who could we get for $3.25 mil that is better? Who is the team player who is a perfect shooter and perfect teammate who can score at $3.25 mil? Also, if he's playing mostly with the second unit, who is he taking shots away from? Whose game and production will be affected?

Lastly, if Fizzz is so great at development that we should give McLemore leeway for a second chance, why not Tyreke? Tyreke has spent most of his career playing in that dumpster fire that is the Kings organization. Don't you think that has hurt his game? He has played for 2 franchises that have been losers throughout his NBA career. If Fizz can do it for McLemore, why not Tyreke? I don't understand the resistance of a player on a 1 year $3.25 mil contract. It's not a long-term deal at  $15 mil or $20 mil per year, I would have serious concerns about that. It's 1 year at $3.25 mil for a guy who has scored in double digits his entire career when we only have 3 guys on the entire team that have done that. This team has way too much unproven talent right now. Tyreke has shown he can score throughout his entire career, we need bench scoring cause right now, I don't see anyone scoring in double digits off of the bench outside of Tyreke. 

Dwash    0
13 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

So who is he going to take shots away from? And if he's so easy to stop because everyone knows he's going right, how has he consistently averaged double digits points throughout his NBA career even through injury? I mean if you know this surely opposing teams na dplayers know this right? So he should be avg 2 ppg right?  In no way am I singing the praises of Tyreke, he's a highly flawed player. I'm just saying for $3.25 mil, this is the best we could do and if you look at his historical production, we have a pretty good idea of what he will do. He is by no means a perfect player but who is? Especially on a 1 year $3.25 million contract.

So I pose the question again, who could we get for $3.25 mil that is better? Who is the team player who is a perfect shooter and perfect teammate who can score at $3.25 mil? Also, if he's playing mostly with the second unit, who is he taking shots away from? Whose game and production will be affected?

Lastly, if Fizzz is so great at development that we should give McLemore leeway for a second chance, why not Tyreke? Tyreke has spent most of his career playing in that dumpster fire that is the Kings organization. Don't you think that has hurt his game? He has played for 2 franchises that have been losers throughout his NBA career. If Fizz can do it for McLemore, why not Tyreke? I don't understand the resistance of a player on a 1 year $3.25 mil contract. It's not a long-term deal at  $15 mil or $20 mil per year, I would have serious concerns about that. It's 1 year at $3.25 mil for a guy who has scored in double digits his entire career when we only have 3 guys on the entire team that have done that. This team has way too much unproven talent right now. Tyreke has shown he can score throughout his entire career, we need bench scoring cause right now, I don't see anyone scoring in double digits off of the bench outside of Tyreke. 

Ok if you see the discussion was about how he would do or wluld have done against the Spurs in the playoffs. My comment was that the Spurs would open up the playoff level defense against him and make him inefficient by sending him left/making him shoot jumpers/packing the paint on his drives.

But as for this bench role I once again point out that the Pelicans signed him and tried him in the very role you speak of (Harden OKC sixth man) and he failed. He did the role for 50 games from Nov-Feb and shot 40% overall and 38% in January and 36% in February. Before moving back to the starting lineup again. This was also 4 years and 2 knee surgeries ago.

I have said I dont have a problem with the signing for the price. I am only pointing out that even at his best I dont see him as a positive offensive player in a system.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

like NDK emphasized dude still could score.  Regardless of how they'd have to defend him he would still have to be respected and could handle the ball enough to allow Conley to play off the ball more.   The reason why we loss in six is because Conley was basically going solo against Kawhi.   We needed another perimeter scorer and Simmons nor Green could've shut Tyreke down or prevented him from getting points.   I just believe that Tyreke would've been a bigger help to Conley than Gasol or Zbo were.   

I mean this is all speculation so no reason to debate it seriously anyway.  

9 hours ago, Dwash said:

I remember him eating the Grizz up 1 night when he was with NO.

4 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

I remember him eating the Grizz up 1 night when he was with NO.

He was one of the guys that TA could never put the clamps on and why NO would always give us fits during the season.   I am excited to have him here. 

chipc3    0

Tyreke Evans scored well on John Hollinger's PER rating system with a 15.56

Not so well on Dave Berri's WP48 system with a 0.51

He's a bargain priced player if you can get the good Tyreke. He's a time eating waste taking minutes from younger players who made need those minutes to develop if you get bad 'Reke. We won't know the outcome until later but for one year he's probably worth the risk. 

Dwash    0
22 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

To further cement my point

Tyreke dropped 26 against the Spurs.  Which also shows he is healthy and effective as ever.   

Are you kidding me? We all know the Spurs are in rest mode during the last month of the year (they basically tell you that) and Tyreke hitting threes like that is clearly a fluke.

You see he was done scoring in the 3rd quarter which tells what they can do when it counts.

Here is another good one from earlier this year.

Posting these to show his improved jumper and the fact that he is fully healthy now. 

$3.3M is all we are paying for a guy that can produce like that on any given night??   Ya'll some Miserbales for real if you have any issues with this signing. 

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Are you kidding me? We all know the Spurs are in rest mode during the last month of the year and Tyreke hitting threes like that is clearly a fluke.

Tyreke has been shooting the 3ball much better the last 3 seasons.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/evansty01.html

2015 .388%

2016  .356%

2017 .356%

I mean you are aware not every player works on their jumpers in the summer like Tony Allen?   Some actually do improve over their careers.   

We didn't need Tyreke to be a superstar in the playoffs to be helpful for Mike.  We just needed him to be a complimentary scorer.  The video clearly showed that Tyreke can be effective against the Spurs.   Don't give me the end of the season stuff either.  Because the Spurs stomped mudholes in us for 5 regular seasons straight at the beginning and end of it.    I am sure they have the scouting report on Evans and used it but it still didn't stop him from dropping 20+. 

Dwash    0
4 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Nothing will ever be good enough lol.

I AM OKAY WITH THE SIGNING! Did everyone read that??

Its when you start telling me that he could have turned the Spurs series around into a Grizzly victory or all of this other great stuff he will do that I have to say pump the breaks. 

GF#1    0
6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I AM OKAY WITH THE SIGNING! Did everyone read that??

Its when you start telling me that he could have turned the Spurs series around into a Grizzly victory or all of this other great stuff he will do that I have to say pump the breaks. 

Over 90% of your content in this thread is bashing his game and the fit for this team. Forgive me if I fail to believe that you are truly okay with this signing, when you didn't even suggest that you were okay with it until at least your 3rd or 4th post in this thread :lol:

If I missed where you said it earlier my apologies. Either way, it's just your opinion. No biggie, I just hope you're wrong. And I'm sure you do as well.

Dwash    0
16 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Tyreke has been shooting the 3ball much better the last 3 seasons.  

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/e/evansty01.html

2015 .388%

2016  .356%

2017 .356%

I mean you are aware not every player works on their jumpers in the summer like Tony Allen?   Some actually do improve over their careers.   

We didn't need Tyreke to be a superstar in the playoffs to be helpful for Mike.  We just needed him to be a complimentary scorer.  The video clearly showed that Tyreke can be effective against the Spurs.   Don't give me the end of the season stuff either.  Because the Spurs stomped mudholes in us for 5 regular seasons straight at the beginning and end of it.    I am sure they have the scouting report on Evans and used it but it still didn't stop him from dropping 20+. 

He shot 30% from 3 in 2014-15

He shot 38% from 3 in 2015-16 in 25 games.

He shot 30% with the Pelicans last year in 26 games

Then 44% with the Kings in 14 games.

Sorry I need a little more than that. Lance Stephenson "works" on his shot and has posted some decent percentages here and there. Yet we saw who the Cavs were doubling off on in round 1 last year.

As for that one game that shows Tyreke can destroy the Spurs in a playoff series (lol), the Spurs still won the game handily the same way they kill the Grizzlies without Kawai and Aldridge.  Evans did nothing at the end. We all know the Spurs do that to weaker teams like the Kings. Play around with them then clamp them up when it counts. Be for real.

Gradey    0

Hard to be upset on this signing, it could turn into a great thing.  Or you could write off a 3.5 mil 1 year deal.  If that was the worst contract on the roster we'd be amazing lol.

10 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He shot 30% from 3 in 2014-15

He shot 38% from 3 in 2015-16

He shot 30% with the Pelicans last year in 26 games

Then 44% with the Kings in 14 games.

Sorry I need a little more than that. Lance Stephenson "works" on his shot and has posted some decent percentages here and there. Yet we saw who the Cavs were doubling off on in round 1 last year.

As for that one game that shows Tyreke can destroy the Spurs in a playoff series (lol), the Spurs still won the game handily the same way they kill the Grizzlies without Kawai and Aldridge.  Evans did nothing at the end. We all know the Spurs do that to weaker teams like the Kings. Play around with them then clamp them up when it counts. Be for real.

Don't pull a Chip3 and change the narrative.  I never said Tyreke would destroy the Spurs in the playoffs.  All i said is that he would've been the secondary perimeter threat Conley needed to take them to 7 games or beat them.   Conley by his damnself got us to 6 games.   You argued he wouldn't have even scored 2pts because they have him scouted out so well.  Then i showed you he dropped 26 on them in March (BTW not end of the season).   

He is a legitimate 3pt shooter now (not deadeye), much better than he was when he entered the league.  The numbers prove that.   He can still get you points the numbers and production prove that.    3.3m on a one year deal - for a player of that caliber is excellent value. 

I am just gonna assume you would rather be paying 10m for Zbo instead.   There is literally no reason to be killing the Tyreke signing at all.  Unless you are upset that GNG is gone. 

I would advise you to just back away from the keyboard, take a couple of deep breaths, and just accept that Zbo and TA aren't returning and Tyreke is a good player. 

Dwash    0
9 minutes ago, GF#1 said:

Over 90% of your content in this thread is bashing his game and the fit for this team. Forgive me if I fail to believe that you are truly okay with this signing, when you didn't even suggest that you were okay with it until at least your 3rd or 4th post in this thread :lol:

If I missed where you said it earlier my apologies. Either way, it's just your opinion. No biggie, I just hope you're wrong. And I'm sure you do as well.

So I cant be okay with the signing and think he wont be a high impact player at the same time?

Dwash    0
1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Don't pull a Chip3 and change the narrative.  I never said Tyreke would destroy the Spurs in the playoffs.  All i said is that he would've been the secondary perimeter threat Conley needed to take them to 7 games or beat them.   Conley by his damnself got us to 6 games.   You argued he wouldn't have even scored 2pts because they have him scouted out so well.  Then i showed you he dropped 26 on them in March (BTW not end of the season).   

He is a legitimate 3pt shooter now, much better than he was when he entered the league.  The numbers prove that.   He can still get you points the numbers and production prove that.    3.3m on a one year deal - for a player of that caliber is excellent value. 

I am just gonna assume you would rather be paying 10m for Zbo instead.   There is literally no reason to be killing the Tyreke signing at all.  Unless you are upset that GNG is gone. 

I would advise you to just back away from the keyboard, take a couple of breathes, and just accept that Zbo and TA aren't returning and Tyreke is a good player. 

Im pulling a Chip? Where in the world did I say he wouldnt have scored 2 pts?

I dont care about Zbo, TA or GNG. I am  repeating what I have said about Tyreke since he came into the league. His style will never be consistently productive and efficient on a team that wins. He requires an offense to basically be built around him and he isnt good enough for that. He will have moments but they wont be consistent or reliable.

2 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Im pulling a Chip? Where in the world did I say he wouldnt have scored 2 pts?

I dont care about Zbo, TA or GNG. I am  repeating what I have said about Tyreke since he came into the league. His style will never be consistently productive and efficient on a team that wins. He requires an offense to basically be built around him and he isnt good enough for that. He will have moments but they wont be consistent or reliable.

My bad you didn't say 2ppg, NDK said that in response to a comment.  I stand corrected. 

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

He is a legitimate 3pt shooter now (not deadeye), much better than he was when he entered the league.  The numbers prove that.   He can still get you points the numbers and production prove that.    3.3m on a one year deal - for a player of that caliber is excellent value. 

I would advise you to just back away from the keyboard, take a couple of deep breaths, and just accept that Zbo and TA aren't returning and Tyreke is a good player. 

Don't bring me into your argument to make it sound like DWash doesn't have a valid point. Stay on issue and stop trying to deflect the criticism. Truth is no one knows what Tyreke would have done last year. No one knows how far the Grizzlies would have gone if Tony Allen had been able to defend Kawhi for that matter. All we do know is the team last year lost in 6 games, Tyreke is signed for this coming season and no matter how much people act like they know what is unknowable we may as well come to grip with this and support the team or shut the heck up. 

17 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

Don't bring me into your argument to make it sound like DWash doesn't have a valid point. Stay on issue and stop trying to deflect the criticism. Truth is no one knows what Tyreke would have done last year. No one knows how far the Grizzlies would have gone if Tony Allen had been able to defend Kawhi for that matter. All we do know is the team last year lost in 6 games, Tyreke is signed for this coming season and no matter how much people act like they know what is unknowable we may as well come to grip with this and support the team or shut the heck up. 

You own the patent on "narrative switching" so i thought you would be cool with me giving you your due credit.   But i guess not so my bad. ;)

chipc3    0
6 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

You own the patent on "narrative switching" so i thought you would be cool with me giving you your due credit.   But i guess not so my bad. ;)

I believe I know someone else who changes his narrative a lot more than me. I just don't waste my time trying to drag him into a losing argument to deflect attention from me. 

Tyreke is on the team now so I hope everyone will jump on board and support him while he is here. Perhaps others would have handled the summer differently but that won't change anything.