Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Grizzlies Signed Tyreke Evans

pjoe    0

Having Tyreke on second team gives us a good option with shot clock running down.  If nothing is happening with 5-6 seconds left on shot clock, pass it to Tyreke and let him create.

20 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Is this further proof that Wallace does not update his target board for at least 5 years?

Maybe somebody needs to tell him to stop using that Time Capsule as a Day Planner...

21 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I hate the Tyreke signing, regardless of the price. This team has too many injury prone players. Signing another one is stupidity. Having too many injured guys cost us Troy Williams last year. If Tyreke gets hurt and leaves us short handed, which player ends up cut to bring a D league guy on board? Is it another young guy? Is it Tyreke since his deal is only a year? What if you think Tyreke can come back in a month? Do you cut him then when he offers more than the d league guy once he gets back? I just think there are too many injury issues on this team already to take on another guy who stays hurt. The costs could be more than the money.

This is kind of where I'm at.  Signing injured players at a discount does not result in a net balance in their ROI.  Players too hurt to contribute are albatrosses.  And now we've just added a 3rd to the roster - all 3 brought in through FA.  What the heck are we spending money on roster hindrances for?  

And hey, I was a big fan of Tyreke the Tiger, but Tyreke the Grizzly, I predict, won't see the light of day.  His game is too stat focused, to me focused.  Fizz will have no problem sticking to any pecking order he pleases with Zach and eventually TA out the door.  The only person left with enough clout and enough chutzpah who might even attempt to be locker room poison is Jam Green, and he may not even be back.

The only NBA memory I have of Tyreke. Very vivid game. I remember being so hyped for OJ's shot, I didn't even see Tyreke shoot. Next thing I remember is looking up at the  TV and Reke is standing on the scorers table...

On 7/7/2017 at 8:13 PM, Dwash said:

Maybe but Zbo never stopped producing like Tyreke has.

How has Tyreke stopped producing? He avg 11.6 ppg in 22 mpg while shooting 44% from 3 last year for the Kings after coming back from his injury and trade. I have no problem having a player like that come off of the bench. Those are the type of minutes he would get here. Plus, we always seem to have trouble with our bench scoring and that's part of the reason Fizz brought Z-Bo off of the bench last year. I'm not looking at him as Tyreke the lottery pick from Memphis' last Sweet 16 team, I'm looking at him as a guy if healthy can give us double digits off of the bench and at $3.5 mil, I have no problem with that. 

20 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

This is kind of where I'm at.  Signing injured players at a discount does not result in a net balance in their ROI.  Players too hurt to contribute are albatrosses.  And now we've just added a 3rd to the roster - all 3 brought in through FA.  What the heck are we spending money on roster hindrances for?  

And hey, I was a big fan of Tyreke the Tiger, but Tyreke the Grizzly, I predict, won't see the light of day.  His game is too stat focused, to me focused.  Fizz will have no problem sticking to any pecking order he pleases with Zach and eventually TA out the door.  The only person left with enough clout and enough chutzpah who might even attempt to be locker room poison is Jam Green, and he may not even be back.

I don't see this as an albatross. Parsons' 4-year deal? Yes. BWright's 3-year deal? Yes, but Tyreke's 1 year deal with very little financial impact, uhhh no. Very low risk move imo. 

I have no problem with bringing in Tyreke off of the bench and letting him put his head down to score and/or drive and throw it out to an open T Daniels. I'm sorry but I think you guys are being a little overly dramatic about his impact to the team and what will happen if he gets hurt. iIf he gets hurt and can't come back, they will cut him. He's on a 1 year deal. If he gets hurt and is out a month, so what? We have a plethora of guards (Selden, Mclemore, Harrison, Baldwin, Daniels, Simmons). It's not like if Tyreke goes down our season goes in the toilet. Having Tyreke and not having Tyreke is not the difference between being a championship contender and being a lottery team. We are a borderline playoff team next year regardless of if we have tyreke or not. If he can come in and put up points off of the bench, it gives us a better chance of making the playoffs and getting a better seed, but if does nothing or is injured, it's not going to change that much.

El Guapo    0
1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

How has Tyreke stopped producing? He avg 11.6 ppg in 22 mpg while shooting 44% from 3 last year for the Kings after coming back from his injury and trade. I have no problem having a player like that come off of the bench. Those are the type of minutes he would get here. Plus, we always seem to have trouble with our bench scoring and that's part of the reason Fizz brought Z-Bo off of the bench last year. I'm not looking at him as Tyreke the lottery pick from Memphis' last Sweet 16 team, I'm looking at him as a guy if healthy can give us double digits off of the bench and at $3.5 mil, I have no problem with that. 

I don't see this as an albatross. Parsons' 4-year deal? Yes. BWright's 3-year deal? Yes, but Tyreke's 1 year deal with very little financial impact, uhhh no. Very low risk move imo. 

I have no problem with bringing in Tyreke off of the bench and letting him put his head down to score and/or drive and throw it out to an open T Daniels. I'm sorry but I think you guys are being a little overly dramatic about his impact to the team and what will happen if he gets hurt. iIf he gets hurt and can't come back, they will cut him. He's on a 1 year deal. If he gets hurt and is out a month, so what? We have a plethora of guards (Selden, Mclemore, Harrison, Baldwin, Daniels, Simmons). It's not like if Tyreke goes down our season goes in the toilet. Having Tyreke and not having Tyreke is not the difference between being a championship contender and being a lottery team. We are a borderline playoff team next year regardless of if we have tyreke or not. If he can come in and put up points off of the bench, it gives us a better chance of making the playoffs and getting a better seed, but if does nothing or is injured, it's not going to change that much.

It be nice if he turned into our Shaun Livingston.

Lord Gordon    0
On 7/7/2017 at 2:21 PM, chipc3 said:

Mario injured his Achilles not his knee. Wallace appears to be a knee man! 

Haha!! Too funny!

Dwash    0
3 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I have Tyreke shooting 40.5% last year and averaging 10 ppg in 20 min. Injuries or not, Zbo never really had a stastical drop. So you not only have to worry about Tyrekes health/recent productivity, you have to worry about the fact that he was never really a guy who played well without dominating the ball or seemed to make teams better.  Atleast Zbo was still healthy posting big stats.

24 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I have Tyreke shooting 40.5% last year and averaging 10 ppg in 20 min. Injuries or not, Zbo never really had a stastical drop. So you not only have to worry about Tyrekes health/recent productivity, you have to worry about the fact that he was never really a guy who played well without dominating the ball or seemed to make teams better.  Atleast Zbo was still healthy posting big stats.

I said last year for the Kings after the trade. I think that is more accurate being that he was returning from injury with the Pels. By the time he was traded to the Kings, he had worked himself into better shape although he wasn't playing back to backs and had quite a few DNP-CDs.  You're right, overall, those are his seasonal numbers but I think the number of minutes with the Kings after returning from injury is more representative of what we will see in MEM. He avg 11.6 ppg, shot 44% from 3 (on 3.4 attempts per game) and 71% from the line. His overall shooting was still low at 41%. I think an offseason of conditioning will do him wonders and I expect him to play about 25-30 mpg.

As far as his production goes, his raw numbers have dropped as his minutes have dropped but if you look at it on a per 40-minute basis, his point production is quite consistent. In his rookie season, he averaged a high of 21.7 points per 40 minutes. Last season, he averaged 20.7 points per 40 minutes. His lowest points per 40 minutes was 19.2 so he's been pretty consistent his career. That's a pretty tight range of 19.2 to 21.7 points per 40 minutes. You pretty much know what you're getting out of Tyreke. If he plays in the high 30 minutes close to 40 mpg, he's going to avg around 20 ppg, if he plays in the low 20's mpg, he's going to give you around 11 ppg. Also, his PER has been pretty tight in the 15-18 range throughout his career. He was at 15.53 last year, despite a so-called down year. 

With that being said, I am not expecting Tyreke to be a starter. I am hoping he can be someone who comes off of the bench to give us 12-15 ppg in 25-30 mpg.those numbers are consistent with his career points per 40-minute numbers.  If he can do this, this signing would be a success. I'm not worried about him dominating the ball on a second unit where everyone is afraid to shoot and we lack scoring. I want him to dominate the ball and score just like I had no problem with Z-Bo demanding the ball and dominating on our second unit. We don't have many guys who have proven they can score against NBA talent on the second unit, Tyreke has. it is a very low risk move on a 1 year deal. You can cut him at any time if it doesn't work out. 

Any signing has risk. I feel the reke one is extremely low risk with the level and at one year only. I'm mostly curious to see what will be done to "clean up" roster. To many guards. But Reke ahould easily be our 6th man

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I said last year for the Kings after the trade. I think that is more accurate being that he was returning from injury with the Pels. By the time he was traded to the Kings, he had worked himself into better shape although he wasn't playing back to backs and had quite a few DNP-CDs.  You're right, overall, those are his seasonal numbers but I think the number of minutes with the Kings after returning from injury is more representative of what we will see in MEM. He avg 11.6 ppg, shot 44% from 3 (on 3.4 attempts per game) and 71% from the line. His overall shooting was still low at 41%. I think an offseason of conditioning will do him wonders and I expect him to play about 25-30 mpg.

As far as his production goes, his raw numbers have dropped as his minutes have dropped but if you look at it on a per 40-minute basis, his point production is quite consistent. In his rookie season, he averaged a high of 21.7 points per 40 minutes. Last season, he averaged 20.7 points per 40 minutes. His lowest points per 40 minutes was 19.2 so he's been pretty consistent his career. That's a pretty tight range of 19.2 to 21.7 points per 40 minutes. You pretty much know what you're getting out of Tyreke. If he plays in the high 30 minutes close to 40 mpg, he's going to avg around 20 ppg, if he plays in the low 20's mpg, he's going to give you around 11 ppg. Also, his PER has been pretty tight in the 15-18 range throughout his career. He was at 15.53 last year, despite a so-called down year. 

With that being said, I am not expecting Tyreke to be a starter. I am hoping he can be someone who comes off of the bench to give us 12-15 ppg in 25-30 mpg.those numbers are consistent with his career points per 40-minute numbers.  If he can do this, this signing would be a success. I'm not worried about him dominating the ball on a second unit where everyone is afraid to shoot and we lack scoring. I want him to dominate the ball and score just like I had no problem with Z-Bo demanding the ball and dominating on our second unit. We don't have many guys who have proven they can score against NBA talent on the second unit, Tyreke has. it is a very low risk move on a 1 year deal. You can cut him at any time if it doesn't work out. 

+1000.   I don't see how anyone can complain about Tyreke being ball dominant and ignore the fact that zbo had the highest usage rate on the team last year.    Tyreke is going to play the same role but instead of post ups it will be 3s and bullying to the rim.    

plus he will be Chandler insurance meaning he can be secondary playmaker to Conley, which is something zbo couldn't do.     

Zbo may have been producing points and rebounds but his efficiency, win shares, and defense were all career lows.  

Some people don't want to admit that Tyreke is at worst a lateral move and that FO actually did pickup a player that can replace zbos *production.     

*nobody give me the rebounding crap either - because Reke will offset by being able to assist and playmaker.  last year we had only 3 guys to gameplay for on offense: mike Marc zbo.   This year it should be 4: mike Marc Chandler Tyreke with the hope that Ben or a young guy steps up.

I also believe that McLemore +Selden will be a legitimate replacement for Tony too.  Once again not referring to elite defense but as solid SG that can be 2 way players. 

Dwash    0
3 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

This sounds good, but chemistry wise I don't think it will work out looking at his career.  I believe it was New Orleans who tried him at one point in the exact role you are talking about and it didn't work out.  Even at Memphis in college he did absolutely nothing until Calipari made him the starting pg and let him hog the ball all game long.  I think some are underestimating just how much he needs the ball.  Atleast Zbo does something without the ball like orebounds and spot up shots.  I don't see just a few minutes a game off the bench at point working for him judging by his career.  Players who work well in that role are usually capable of heating it up in a hurry.  He will have his moments, but for someone who really likes to dribble and dribble, I don't see him gaining a consistent rhythm.  Zbo shoots a lot, but atleast when you throw it to him, he puts the shot up and gets it over with.  Tyreke really really likes to dribble.  And then him playing 25-30 mpg means that he would have to play along side Conley, Parsons, and Gasol and he has proven to be useless without the ball.

Then there are the injuries with a player like this.  You have the well paid 3 who need touches, then you got Harrison who is the backup point guard and isn't really an off ball player either.  So everytime Tyreke goes on the disabled list or has injuries, then you have to work him in and out the lineup, determine who gives up their touches and Tyreke has to get back into game shape and claim his stake on how much he needs the ball.  Cause again, he needs it a lot.  Even more than Zbo in my opinion.

I mean it's not a terrible gamble for basically league minimum, but chemistry wise I would be shocked if he became a consistent producer.  Maybe if he has really become a 40% 3 point shooter it could work, but I doubt that is the case.

9 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Signing Tyreke, in and of itself, not a problem.  Having 20% of your active roster extremely - and that's no exaggeration - injury prone, is. That's the albatross of which I speak.  

My guess is, in our current mix of players, Wright, Parsons and Evans would all 3 be likely rotation players, all things being equal.  But they won't be equal if they are continuously sitting with injuries.  I would have just thought being burned by Wright and Parsons would've made the front office a little more choosy.  

6 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I agree with you, he's worth a shot at what they are paying him.

Ndq0327    0
9 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Signing Tyreke, in and of itself, not a problem.  Having 20% of your active roster extremely - and that's no exaggeration - injury prone, is. That's the albatross of which I speak.  

My guess is, in our current mix of players, Wright, Parsons and Evans would all 3 be likely rotation players, all things being equal.  But they won't be equal if they are continuously sitting with injuries.  I would have just thought being burned by Wright and Parsons would've made the front office a little more choosy.  

Gotta look at who's making the deals

9 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Wright has been a non-factor in 2 years and I suspect he will be this year as well. I don't even count him as part of our roster and I definitely don't consider him as one of our main rotation players. Once again, Tyreke is on a 1-year deal. If he can't play, we have a plethora of guards. I don't really care if he's available to play or not. If he's healthy and he plays well, great, it's all gravy, frosting on the cake. Any other scenario, who cares? He's on a 1 year deal, just get rid of him. it's just such a low risk to me. I'm not expecting him to be a starter and average 20 ppg for us. As I mentioned, if he can come off the bench for 25 mpg and gives us 12-13 ppg or so, that would be a humongous boon for us and it's icing on the cake to me. If he's healthy and plays the right way, it could be huge for us, but if he's not, it's not that big of a deal to me.

What are your expectations of Evans for next season? It seems to me that you think he will be a major piece of the team. what are your expectations of his production?

Benji    0
On 7/7/2017 at 2:19 PM, Back2Grizzness said:

16...1 too many. Trade coming. Bye JAM?

JaM is a free agent and is not currently taking up a roster spot. He likely re-signs because Wright will be gone and we'd have no starter. These are the guys currently signed who are most likely to be traded...

Wright (almost certainly)
Ennis
Martin
Baldwin
Daniels

Ndq0327    0
1 hour ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

Good luck to memphis tiger legend tyreke evans ! 

Don't think he's a tiger legend....so happy he doesn't shoot like that anymore

On 7/10/2017 at 8:18 AM, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Wright has been a non-factor in 2 years and I suspect he will be this year as well. I don't even count him as part of our roster and I definitely don't consider him as one of our main rotation players. Once again, Tyreke is on a 1-year deal. If he can't play, we have a plethora of guards. I don't really care if he's available to play or not. If he's healthy and he plays well, great, it's all gravy, frosting on the cake. Any other scenario, who cares? He's on a 1 year deal, just get rid of him. it's just such a low risk to me. I'm not expecting him to be a starter and average 20 ppg for us. As I mentioned, if he can come off the bench for 25 mpg and gives us 12-13 ppg or so, that would be a humongous boon for us and it's icing on the cake to me. If he's healthy and plays the right way, it could be huge for us, but if he's not, it's not that big of a deal to me.

What are your expectations of Evans for next season? It seems to me that you think he will be a major piece of the team. what are your expectations of his production?

In all honesty, the scenario I see playing out with Tyreke is he'll be mostly DNP by the first of the year, after he shows that he's playing to salvage his career and nothing else.  That's not a judgement on him, that's just the hand he has been dealt, and when I look at his history in the league, "team player" doesn't scream out to me.

48 minutes ago, The Truth is OUT said:

In all honesty, the scenario I see playing out with Tyreke is he'll be mostly DNP by the first of the year, after he shows that he's playing to salvage his career and nothing else.  That's not a judgement on him, that's just the hand he has been dealt, and when I look at his history in the league, "team player" doesn't scream out to me.

Who exactly does he need to be a team player with on the second unit? James Ennis? Andrew Harrison? Wade Baldwin? DD Davis? Ivan Rabb?  Like I said, as long as he tosses the ball out to a wide-open TD for 3, I'm fine. He's averaged 5 apg throughout his career. That would have been second on the team last year, lol.

As far as him not being a team player, how many 6th men really are? I mean look at recent 6MOY-Lou WIlliams, JR Smith, Jamal Crawford, James Harden, etc How many of those guys are team players? They are gunners. Hired hitmen that are hired to go out and put up points for the bench. Tyreke has a higher career apg average than all of those guys with the exception of Harden who turned into a starter. I'm totally fine with a healthy Tyreke dominating the ball on the second unit and putting up points (if healthy). I don't see why that would be an issue. With the exception of last year with Z-Bo as a 6th Man, this team has struggled with finding scoring off of the bench. If healthy and used correctly, Tyreke provides scoring off the bench and at 1 year, $3.25 mil, we can dump him at any time if it doesn't work out or he gets injured. This is so low risk to me that I can't understand why people would have an issue. If it doesn't work out, just cut him. 

Do you think we could have gotten a better "team player" that would produce for a $3.25 million contract? There are only 5 guys on this entire team that have averaged double digits for an entire season and McLemore only did it 1 year. Tyreke has been a scorer, let him score. 

23 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Who exactly does he need to be a team player with on the second unit? James Ennis? Andrew Harrison? Wade Baldwin? DD Davis? Ivan Rabb?  Like I said, as long as he tosses the ball out to a wide-open TD for 3, I'm fine. He's averaged 5 apg throughout his career. That would have been second on the team last year, lol.

As far as him not being a team player, how many 6th men really are? I mean look at recent 6MOY-Lou WIlliams, JR Smith, Jamal Crawford, James Harden, etc How many of those guys are team players? They are gunners. Hired hitmen that are hired to go out and put up points for the bench. Tyreke has a higher career apg average than all of those guys with the exception of Harden who turned into a starter. I'm totally fine with a healthy Tyreke dominating the ball on the second unit and putting up points (if healthy). I don't see why that would be an issue. With the exception of last year with Z-Bo as a 6th Man, this team has struggled with finding scoring off of the bench. If healthy and used correctly, Tyreke provides scoring off the bench and at 1 year, $3.25 mil, we can dump him at any time if it doesn't work out or he gets injured. This is so low risk to me that I can't understand why people would have an issue. If it doesn't work out, just cut him. 

Do you think we could have gotten a better "team player" that would produce for a $3.25 million contract? There are only 5 guys on this entire team that have averaged double digits for an entire season and McLemore only did it 1 year. Tyreke has been a scorer, let him score. 

Preach !! #Facts!!  If we would've had Tyreke last year we would've beat the Spurs.   We haven't had 3 legitimate perimeter threats the entire GNG era. Conley Tyreke and Chandler have to be respected by opposing defenses 

Dwash    0
1 hour ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Preach !! #Facts!!  If we would've had Tyreke last year we would've beat the Spurs.   We haven't had 3 legitimate perimeter threats the entire GNG era. Conley Tyreke and Chandler have to be respected by opposing defenses 

Lol ok. Beat the Spurs? Im going to save this quote.

12 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Lol ok. Beat the Spurs? Im going to save this quote.

Conley had no help which allowed kawhi to guard him in those pivotal games.  All we needed was one more perimeter scorer to shift the outcome.  I mean at the very least we would've gone to 7games.