Sign in to follow this  
The REF

Grizzlies Signed Tyreke Evans

On 11/3/2017 at 7:51 AM, chipc3 said:

Could be true or it could be that since Evans was trying to do everything himself no one else got involved. It's a chicken and the egg situation. I don't know if Evans is being forced to do a lot at the end of the possession because no one else is trying to do anything or if no one appears to be doing anything because Evans is trying to do too much by himself. 

Like I said it is too early to draw any serious conclusions but this is something to watch. 

Maybe, but we were down 18-9 when Tyreke entered the game. It's not like we were setting it on fire and then Tyreke came in and took shots from everybody. Yes, Tyreke took 20 shots, but he hit 13 of them to shoot 65%. I don't know many people who would complain about a player shooting 65% from the field. Gasol was 10-14, i don't think he took any shots away from Gasol who attempted his season avg in FGA. You had a rookie out there in Dillon Brooks taking 13 shots, Ennis avg 6 FGA per game and he took 9 shots. Harrison avg  5 FGA and he took 8 shots. People had to compensate for Conley being out and they did. Chalmers stunk it up going 3-12. As a matter of fact, if you look at three key contributors (Chalmers, Martin, Parsons), they went a combined 3-16. Parsons was passing up wide open shots. Furthermore, I believe in the 3Q, there were numerous series were every time Reke passed the ball, the they threw it right back to him probably because he was the hot hand.

I'm not drawing any conclusions about the season based on 1 game, but I am saying in this one game, the team came out with low energy and were out of sync from the get go. I believe that if Reke didn't do what he did then we would have been blown out because no one else was stepping up except maybe Brooks.  

On 11/3/2017 at 7:56 AM, chipc3 said:

Does that explain the Houston game where none of the starters reached double figures but the Grizzlies won easily? 

Well, the bench stepped up. Parsons had an unbelievable game and went 9-11 from the field and 6-8 from three in front of his parents and against his old team. We may very well never see Parsons do that again in Beale St Blue.  This team has traditionally struggled with scoring and Mike and Marc are not natural Type A scorers so more often than not, they will be passive or giving shots to others. That's why I have no problem with Tyreke doing what he did against Orlando. His play wasn't the reason we lost, his play was the reason we were even in the game. We need both Parsons and Tyreke to step up and average in the teens off of the bench for this team to be successful. Reke is avg 15.6 ppg and 6 boards while shooting 47% from the field and 46% from 3 and taking advantage of opportunities to  score. Parsons is shooting 50% from the field and 50% from 3 but he needs to step it up as far as overall production. 

23 hours ago, Herodotus said:

This is what's called correlation without causation. Proof: If Chalmers has passed the ball to Tyreke (or even Marc), one time down the stretch, instead of intentionally throwing the game, we win. And Tyreke has 32-34 points with clutch baskets down the stretch. And this post isn't made and this conversation isn't happening. 

Exactly. His role is to come off of the bench and score. So, when he does that well, at a high efficiency, and the bench unit is out-playing their bench unit, praise him. Pretty simple. 

18 hours ago, GF#1 said:

Not surprising you have come to this conclusion, given that you said acquiring Evans was a horrendous move in the offseason. I'm not surprised even in the slightest that you aren't taking pleasure in the fact that he's actually playing well.

17 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

The Grizz have been standing around for years, nothing new about that.

17 hours ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

You think he thinks Tyreke should just stand there with the ball while all the other guys are standing around? He gave Brooks a good look at a 3 and he couldn't knock it down, is that Tyreke's fault?

I have no idea why people can't understand these simple concepts. it just amazes me but people on this board are going to find a scapegoat no matter what. They are blaming the guy who scored 32 points while shooting 65% from the field, 67% from the 3 and averaging a point per minute that he was on the floor, but he's to blame for losing the game?

The Grizz have a long history of getting passive minded guys who can disappear on the floor. They now have the first perimeter guy who can throw points up on the board since Rudy Gay and people are already complaining like they complained about Rudy Gay. The last time i checked the team with the most points on the board win. You need guys who can score. They got Parsons last year to do exactly what Evans is doing this year-give us a few 20 point games and an occasional 30 point game here and there to take the scoring load off of Mike and Marc. Tyereke goes out and scores, you know, like the team expects him to do and now he's stat padding and taking shots away from others? This board is comical at times. 

19 hours ago, GF#1 said:

Not surprising you have come to this conclusion, given that you said acquiring Evans was a horrendous move in the offseason. I'm not surprised even in the slightest that you aren't taking pleasure in the fact that he's actually playing well.

But Evans history is still that of a guy who loses with stats. His team play bad and his stats going up have seemed to correlate his whole career. This is not hating, its how it is. Until he proves he can produce statiscally and win, people will always have questions just like with Zbo.

5 minutes ago, Dwash said:

But Evans history is still that of a guy who loses with stats. His team play bad and his stats going up have seemed to correlate his whole career. This is not hating, its how it is. Until he proves he can produce statiscally and win, people will always have questions just like with Zbo.

And that's why he's coming off of the bench because Mike and Marc are the stars of the team He's playing a different role here than he has played most of his career. I don''t think he will bring down this team, especially when many question if this team will even go .500 or even make the playoffs. It's not like he's Carmelo Anthony and the star of his team and repeatedly brings his teams down, he's been on bad teams with two bad franchises. McLemore comes from a losing situation as well. 

15 minutes ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

And that's why he's coming off of the bench because Mike and Marc are the stars of the team He's playing a different role here than he has played most of his career. I don''t think he will bring down this team, especially when many question if this team will even go .500 or even make the playoffs. It's not like he's Carmelo Anthony and the star of his team and repeatedly brings his teams down, he's been on bad teams with two bad franchises. McLemore comes from a losing situation as well. 

I dont think his role is much different when he is on the court. He takes the most shots per minute on the team. He just does a little less of it and at different times of the game.

The questions are is his personal improvement (shooting, IQ) and his team structure (defense) good enough to make him a winner now.

And the Melo critique I will never get because he was the leading scorer on a playoff team in his first 10 years in the NBA and even went to the WCF. Idk how in the world he is comparable to Tyreke in terms of winning but ok.

46 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I dont think his role is much different when he is on the court. He takes the most shots per minute on the team. He just does a little less of it and at different times of the game.

The questions are is his personal improvement (shooting, IQ) and his team structure (defense) good enough to make him a winner now.

And the Melo critique I will never get because he was the leading scorer on a playoff team in his first 10 years in the NBA and even went to the WCF. Idk how in the world he is comparable to Tyreke in terms of winning but ok.

Well, let's look at  Melo's last 4 years with the Knicks which seem to be more relevant. The Knicks were horrible and didn't reach .500. He's been labeled a ball hog, black hole, chuck artist and that he disrupts the offense, same thing people say about Reke. The big difference is, the Knicks were his team.

This isn't Reke's team. He's 3rd banana at best. If Parsons is ever healthy  and plays to his potential, Reke is 4th banana at best. He was brought in to be a scorer off of the bench and that's what he's doing. I'm fine with it. I'm not sure if Reke's BBIQ has increased, i don't think it was ever low, he's just shooting a better % and the shots are going in. I don't think his shot selection has necessarily change but they are falling. He's a better shooter. Also, by being in a secondary role here, he's allowed to score with less pressure imo. When we acquired him, I said over and over that you know what you're going to get out of Reke depending on his minutes played. His stats have been fairly consistent on a per 40 minute basis throughout his career. The only thing is his assists are down so far playing with us, other than that, he basically does what he does every night and he's a better shooter over the past year plus so I'm hoping that continues.

1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

Well, let's look at  Melo's last 4 years with the Knicks which seem to be more relevant. The Knicks were horrible and didn't reach .500. He's been labeled a ball hog, black hole, chuck artist and that he disrupts the offense, same thing people say about Reke. The big difference is, the Knicks were his team.

This isn't Reke's team. He's 3rd banana at best. If Parsons is ever healthy  and plays to his potential, Reke is 4th banana at best. He was brought in to be a scorer off of the bench and that's what he's doing. I'm fine with it. I'm not sure if Reke's BBIQ has increased, i don't think it was ever low, he's just shooting a better % and the shots are going in. I don't think his shot selection has necessarily change but they are falling. He's a better shooter. Also, by being in a secondary role here, he's allowed to score with less pressure imo. When we acquired him, I said over and over that you know what you're going to get out of Reke depending on his minutes played. His stats have been fairly consistent on a per 40 minute basis throughout his career. The only thing is his assists are down so far playing with us, other than that, he basically does what he does every night and he's a better shooter over the past year plus so I'm hoping that continues.

Again, Melo carried teams for 10 years. They are uncomparable because we have loads of evidence that his style works! The last 4 years his teams were in chaos, not very talented and Melo has lost a step/had a few injuries. But whatever his style was it showed that it could sustain winning as a lead guy for many years on a consistent basis. Thats what is relevant about his first ten years.

Tyreke has NEVER shown that and he has had some pretty good players on his team. Probably better than Melo. So either they are playing a different style or Melo at his peak was just way better at the same style.

I think despite Melo being a black hole, he doesnt dribble relentlessly from possession start to finish and completely take his team out of the game. He is also a major factor off the ball and can get more of his points in a rhythm offense than Tyreke. He has had to play lead guard his whole career and the question is if he is good enough.  There is no question if Melo is good enough to jack 20+ shots and be efficient.

Again, his stats havent translated to wins ever. So people will ask questions until they do. Its just how its gone be. I dont know what you call a third banana, but when he is out there, even with Conley and Gasol, it seems to me like he has a lot of control and is the most aggressive at all times.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Again, Melo carried teams for 10 years. They are uncomparable because we have loads of evidence that his style works! The last 4 years his teams were in chaos, not very talented and Melo has lost a step/had a few injuries. But whatever his style was it showed that it could sustain winning as a lead guy for many years on a consistent basis. Thats what is relevant about his first ten years.

Tyreke has NEVER shown that and he has had some pretty good players on his team. Probably better than Melo. So either they are playing a different style or Melo at his peak was just way better at the same style.

I think despite Melo being a black hole, he doesnt dribble relentlessly from possession start to finish and completely take his team out of the game. He is also a major factor off the ball and can get more of his points in a rhythm offense than Tyreke. He has had to play lead guard his whole career and the question is if he is good enough.  There is no question if Melo is good enough to jack 20+ shots and be efficient.

Again, his stats havent translated to wins ever. So people will ask questions until they do. Its just how its gone be. I dont know what you call a third banana, but when he is out there, even with Conley and Gasol, it seems to me like he has a lot of control and is the most aggressive at all times.

Are you kidding me??   Are you trying to say that Reke's teams were better than melo's team during his playoff runs??     

Anthony Davis stats haven't translated to wins.    Karl Anthony Towns stats didn't translate to wins.  hell Michael Jordans early stats didn't translate to wins.     It wasn't till those guys got the right personnel and system around them did they get into the playoffs.     Nobody is saying that Tyreke is freaking Lebron James.     But i will say that a healthy Tyreke is on the Jimmy Butler, Dame Lillard, Gordon Hayward level at least.      

Folks been on here b!tchin&  about Mike and Marc not being real alpha scorer types.   Or that we should've kept Rudy he is the only guy with Alpha ability to score.   Then we finally get a dynamic wing scorer, secondary playmaker  with alpha mentality and ability that isn't at the end of his prime.   Now ya'll just gripe and complain about his past reputation and think he is taking away shots from Mike Marc and Parsons  AKA dudes ya'll whined about not being Alpha guys for years.  

All i have to say is go back and look at the comments when we added Zbo.   "he is a blackhole"  he is a ball hog" He is a stat chaser"   "He never won anything"    Now we retiring dudes jersey.  

As presently constructed and based off of performance.   Tyreke should be a primary scorer for us on the same level as Mike.   Marc has tools to do it but its too much to expect him to do it constantly and anchor defense.   Parsons ain't dependable enough so who else qualifies?? Brooks? Ennis? Ben???  None of them have the talent of Tyreke and PROVEN ability to get buckets.   I mean isn't that the entire point of being an Alpha scorer???   He can create his own shot, get to the rim at will and isn't afraid of the moment.    Plus lLook at his stats - you can't get anymore efficient than that. 

14 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Are you kidding me??   Are you trying to say that Reke's teams were better than melo's team during his playoff runs??     

Anthony Davis stats haven't translated to wins.    Karl Anthony Towns stats didn't translate to wins.  hell Michael Jordans early stats didn't translate to wins.     It wasn't till those guys got the right personnel and system around them did they get into the playoffs.     Nobody is saying that Tyreke is freaking Lebron James.     But i will say that a healthy Tyreke is on the Jimmy Butler, Dame Lillard, Gordon Hayward level at least.      

Folks been on here b!tchin&  about Mike and Marc not being real alpha scorer types.   Or that we should've kept Rudy he is the only guy with Alpha ability to score.   Then we finally get a dynamic wing scorer, secondary playmaker  with alpha mentality and ability that isn't at the end of his prime.   Now ya'll just gripe and complain about his past reputation and think he is taking away shots from Mike Marc and Parsons  AKA dudes ya'll whined about not being Alpha guys for years.  

All i have to say is go back and look at the comments when we added Zbo.   "he is a blackhole"  he is a ball hog" He is a stat chaser"   "He never won anything"    Now we retiring dudes jersey.  

As presently constructed and based off of performance.   Tyreke should be a primary scorer for us on the same level as Mike.   Marc has tools to do it but its too much to expect him to do it constantly and anchor defense.   Parsons ain't dependable enough so who else qualifies?? Brooks? Ennis? Ben???  None of them have the talent of Tyreke and PROVEN ability to get buckets.   I mean isn't that the entire point of being an Alpha scorer???   He can create his own shot, get to the rim at will and isn't afraid of the moment.    Plus lLook at his stats - you can't get anymore efficient than that. 

To be fair I think there might only be a couple of posters stupidly hating on Reke. This was an amazing acquisition and he’s the perfect scorer off the bench. 

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Uh yeah in Melos first year he was on a team that just openly tanked to even get him. They gave away Van Exel and Lafrentz just to be as bad as possible. The result - playoffs. Guess Tyreke would have done that too lol.

You just compared Tyreke to AllStar talent. Max dollar talent. Consensus top 15 talent. His first time on the market he was signed to be a sixth man. He was healthy then and what happened? Hayward had to narrow down the max offers both times. Like wth?? Obviously people making those decisions dont think that highly of him. He got 3 million on thr open market. And dont say it was injuries cause beat down E Gordon just got 50 million. And he was hurt even more than Tyreke. So clearly GMs among others dont share your opinions about what level he is on.

Then how ridiculous is it for us to be talking about whether or not Tyrekes stats equal wins. The first thing off your keyboard...Ant Davis stats havent won anything. LMAO! So now he is compared to Melo, Hayward, Butler, Lilliard....but its losers Davis fault that he couldnt win in NOP. You guys just proceed with your fantasies.

4 hours ago, Dwash said:

LOL, look, we essentially agree. All I'm saying is that for Tyreke's style (ball dominant scorer), he's perfect to come off of the bench. That's all. I agree with you that it doesn't work with Tyreke as your main player, that's why i mentioned that Mike and Marc are our main players and Tyreke is a secondary player. My point is that it is much better for him to come off of the bench as a secondary player and be a pure scorer as opposed to him starting and dominating the ball or slowing down the offensive flow as the primary scorer or ballhandler. 

As far as the Melo comparisons, all I was saying was that the criticisms were the same, not that one was more effective than the other. The criticisms were the same and when Melo was on a losing team, those criticisms were the same criticisms that Reke have, that's all. I'm not comparing them or their games or whose team won more games. I'm just saying that over the years, the criticisms have been the same. Obviously Melo is better than Reke. I'm saying that Reke is not a good fit as a primary scorer (or ball handler for that matter) but he is fine as a secondary scorer coming off of the bench and dominating the bench scoring. I think even when Mike and Marc are on the floor, they are fine with it too because they tend to defer when someone else is scoring. Your comparisons are overly simplified. You are ignoring so many factors such as the team, the coaches, the style of play of the team, the style of play in the NBA, the surrounding players, the inner workings of the franchises. Both the Kings and Pelicans have been clusterf***s over the past few years. The Kings haven't had a winning record since '05-06 and is known as one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league. I definitely wouldn't expect him to succeed there as the primary scorer, who has in the past decade plus? DeMarcus Cousins didn't win there either. it's a horrible dysfunctional organization. The Pelicans may not be as bad but it's bad. They have not been a good organization. To say that Evans stats have never translated to wins ever is being disingenuous. They did make it to the Sweet 16 in college with him as the main player (you said ever). Not to mention, the Pelicans did make the playoffs with a winning record in 14-15 with him starting 76 games and being the second leading scorer. Have Anthony Davis stats ever translated to wins? Ever? I guess he's just like Tyreke huh? it's all in how you use players, the coaching and the players around them. You can't solely look at a players stats and call them losers. 

This is really the first time in Tyreke's career where he is not looked at as one of the main players on the team and will mainly be used off of the bench. sure, he came off of the bench last year but he was recovering from multiple surgeries so that only made sense. This stint with the Grizz is the first time he has been told, Tyreke, you are not the main player, you are coming off of the bench to give us socring and through the first few games of the season, it's been successful. Who knows, come game 50, it may be a disaster, but right now, it's successful, we have a winning record and he's one of the leading bench scorers in the game. I'm happy. 

2 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

LOL, look, we essentially agree. All I'm saying is that for Tyreke's style (ball dominant scorer), he's perfect to come off of the bench. That's all. I agree with you that it doesn't work with Tyreke as your main player, that's why i mentioned that Mike and Marc are our main players and Tyreke is a secondary player. My point is that it is much better for him to come off of the bench as a secondary player and be a pure scorer as opposed to him starting and dominating the ball or slowing down the offensive flow as the primary scorer or ballhandler. 

As far as the Melo comparisons, all I was saying was that the criticisms were the same, not that one was more effective than the other. The criticisms were the same and when Melo was on a losing team, those criticisms were the same criticisms that Reke have, that's all. I'm not comparing them or their games or whose team won more games. I'm just saying that over the years, the criticisms have been the same. Obviously Melo is better than Reke. I'm saying that Reke is not a good fit as a primary scorer (or ball handler for that matter) but he is fine as a secondary scorer coming off of the bench and dominating the bench scoring. I think even when Mike and Marc are on the floor, they are fine with it too because they tend to defer when someone else is scoring. Your comparisons are overly simplified. You are ignoring so many factors such as the team, the coaches, the style of play of the team, the style of play in the NBA, the surrounding players, the inner workings of the franchises. Both the Kings and Pelicans have been clusterf***s over the past few years. The Kings haven't had a winning record since '05-06 and is known as one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league. I definitely wouldn't expect him to succeed there as the primary scorer, who has in the past decade plus? DeMarcus Cousins didn't win there either. it's a horrible dysfunctional organization. The Pelicans may not be as bad but it's bad. They have not been a good organization. To say that Evans stats have never translated to wins ever is being disingenuous. They did make it to the Sweet 16 in college with him as the main player (you said ever). Not to mention, the Pelicans did make the playoffs with a winning record in 14-15 with him starting 76 games and being the second leading scorer. Have Anthony Davis stats ever translated to wins? Ever? I guess he's just like Tyreke huh? it's all in how you use players, the coaching and the players around them. You can't solely look at a players stats and call them losers. 

This is really the first time in Tyreke's career where he is not looked at as one of the main players on the team and will mainly be used off of the bench. sure, he came off of the bench last year but he was recovering from multiple surgeries so that only made sense. This stint with the Grizz is the first time he has been told, Tyreke, you are not the main player, you are coming off of the bench to give us socring and through the first few games of the season, it's been successful. Who knows, come game 50, it may be a disaster, but right now, it's successful, we have a winning record and he's one of the leading bench scorers in the game. I'm happy. 

Hes perfect, if you arent the other 4 guys he is playing with. Basketball is a business, and other than mike, marc and parsons, the tyreke show is affecting the other guy's wallets. Nobody likes a ball hog.

Tyreke is just doing what he does best. And technically, why he was brought here was to be a scorer off the bench. So far I’d say he’s done his job.

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Hes perfect, if you arent the other 4 guys he is playing with. Basketball is a business, and other than mike, marc and parsons, the tyreke show is affecting the other guy's wallets. Nobody likes a ball hog.

Man this is getting ugly

4 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I can say that we pretty much agree just from different angles. So far it has certainly worked out and the improved shooting has made him a much more efficient scorer who doesnt need to pound it as much as he did in the past. He seems to be putting up his points much faster. I would say that it appears that this will be his level of play all year, which is about the best case scenario.

wow. this is the first time ive checked out this board concerning reke. **** his past, he is balling right now and we are winning. Nothing else matters. When he starts costing us games then we can start to complain

If Tyreke isn't filling that slot then Daniels would be. Maybe as good a scorer, but useless otherwise. So we at least break even.    We win if he keeps scoring, keeps defending, and buys in to the Grizzlies never-mind-your-stats-just-count-the-Ws philosophy.  He's a solid second-unit player, with no more faults than any other solid second-unit player. And still has upside - he could be a solid starter if he can run plays the way coach wants them run. 

8 minutes ago, TimBC said:

If Tyreke isn't filling that slot then Daniels would be. Maybe as good a scorer, but useless otherwise. So we at least break even.    We win if he keeps scoring, keeps defending, and buys in to the Grizzlies never-mind-your-stats-just-count-the-Ws philosophy.  He's a solid second-unit player, with no more faults than any other solid second-unit player. And still has upside - he could be a solid starter if he can run plays the way coach wants them run. 

I liked Troy D and was hoping we could have kept him but Reke so far has surpassed compensation. I fact, Reke SO FAR has surpassed compensation for losing both Tony AND Vince.

Anyone who cant see this SO FAR is simply blinded by personal bias. 

I know it can get testy at time on here but please do not jump to name calling or direct attacks. Let's keep this as family friendly as possible please.

I will delete any post that doesn't follow the rules. As for posters not following said rules: I will let a lot slide until it gets personal. Repeat offenders will be dealt with.

Please don't hesitate to report posts or users that break the rules.

On 11/4/2017 at 9:30 AM, Notorious O.D.K. said:

What you said is not intelligent, 1 person cannot win games in this league by himself.

32 minutes ago, LuvThem Grizzlies said:

What you said is not intelligent, 1 person cannot win games in this league by himself.

I have no idea what you're talking nor what you are claiming what i supposedly said. I have never said such in my life. 

2 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

I have no idea what you're talking nor what you are claiming what i supposedly said. I have never said such in my life. 

That was supposed to be a response to a post Dwash made

I wasn't high on Evans when we first signed him but I am proud to eat crow here....where would this team be without him?  We would def have a losing record for sure.