Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

MemphisX    0

Yep, this is a throwback to the 3YP era that many on this board have no memory. You have only enjoyed the best of times with Grit and Grind. 

Not sure if this is the Michael Porter watch just yet but...

GamesOut    0

Just for the record, what picks do we currently have for 2018 draft?  Does it depend on next season's record?

fanboyslim    0
6 minutes ago, GamesOut said:

Just for the record, what picks do we currently have for 2018 draft?  Does it depend on next season's record?

We have our own two picks, plus we're owed two second rounders from Miami and Charlotte.

srmjr23    0
6 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

We have our own two picks, plus we're owed two second rounders from Miami and Charlotte.

Didn't we trade those to Houston and Orlando for this year's two picks?

1 minute ago, srmjr23 said:

Didn't we trade those to Houston and Orlando for this year's two picks?

Orlando got our Brooklyn pick. Not sure which pick houston has.

srmjr23    0
5 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Orlando got our Brooklyn pick. Not sure which pick houston has.

Ah, alright

JWill4L    0
Just now, fanboyslim said:

He projects at number 2. Reeeeally far fetched.

Yep. At least I can watch him playing for Real one more year :lol:

Thomas    0
2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Yep, this is a throwback to the 3YP era that many on this board have no memory. You have only enjoyed the best of times with Grit and Grind. 

The boards were much livelier back then. Everyone was calling their shot on who we should draft with our high lottery picks, what kind of trades we should make, how the team should be built, etc. It was fun. 

fanboyslim    0
11 minutes ago, JWill4L said:

Yep. At least I can watch him playing for Real one more year :lol:

I have this clip in my bookmarks.

If....the grizz become a lottery team and/or go into a full rebuild over the next two years, do you think the attendance will be over a 14,900 average for the 19-20 season? (3rd season from now)

Last year, we averaged 16,519 down from a high of 17,329 two years earlier.  During the last rebuild, our attendance was under 14,900.  

Attendance under that number will allow the team to be moved with a 63 million fine in 2021.

Dwash    0
52 minutes ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

If....the grizz become a lottery team and/or go into a full rebuild over the next two years, do you think the attendance will be over a 14,900 average for the 19-20 season? (3rd season from now)

Last year, we averaged 16,519 down from a high of 17,329 two years earlier.  During the last rebuild, our attendance was under 14,900.  

Attendance under that number will allow the team to be moved with a 63 million fine in 2021.

Thats really why I thought it was a bad time to let go of TA and Zbo from a business standpoint. If for whatever reason this the year they go lottery...and this was a high risk year regardless...fans will blsme the loss of Zbo and TA and will dissappear.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Thats really why I thought it was a bad time to let go of TA and Zbo from a business standpoint. If for whatever reason this the year they go lottery...and this was a high risk year regardless...fans will blsme the loss of Zbo and TA and will dissappear.

But the numbers show it was declining anyway.   It appears to me the first rd exits where a bigger deterrent to ticket sales .  FO decided to pull trigger because they know that riding out CORE4 instead of changing direction meant the fall would be harder in a year.  Only way to reverse trend was to get fans to Believe Again.  Honestly no one believed CORE was ever going past first round, well besides KBM.  

Dwash    0
7 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

But the numbers show it was declining anyway.   It appears to me the first rd exits where a bigger deterrent to ticket sales .  FO decided to pull trigger because they know that riding out CORE4 instead of changing direction meant the fall would be harder in a year.  Only way to reverse trend was to get fans to Believe Again.  Honestly no one believed CORE was ever going past first round, well besides KBM.  

Nah, I just think they didnt want to keep paying so much for mediocrity. I mean luxury tax isnt that far away.

And I wouldnt say no one believed. Im not close to these people, but I know folks who work in the downtown area who tell me many people still believe in a championship. The casual fan is different from us to say the least.

7 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

First round exit last year was because we had everybody hurt, but of course you would include that as part of our core's decline. This year, sure we lost in the first round, because we played one of the top 2 teams in the west, but you aren't going to convince me that we wouldn't have beaten Houston, Utah, Portland, OKC or the Clippers.

Our problem last year was losing against mediocre teams which caused us to play one of the two teams that the grizzlies weren't at least 50/50 with: the spurs.

My main criticism of the grizzlies always remains that they more than often mail-in the regular season. They don't seem to value playoff seeding.

But anyway, I think, just for sheer excitement of watching new players and rookies develop, this will be a fun season coming up. I can't wait to see it.

chipc3    0
20 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I remember the 3 year plan. Worked like a charm too. If this is the beginning of a new 3 year plan when will Wallace inform the fans of the vision for the team he wants to build? 

I wonder if the moves being made now have any relation to the Buy/Sell agreement between Pera and Kaplan? For those that don't know, Steve Kaplan owns as much of the Grizzlies as Robert Pera. Come October Kaplan has the right to give a price on the team that Pera can either match and buy out Kaplan or sell to him at the same price. The FO wants to keep this quiet of course but I wonder how much this situation is affecting what the team does right now? 

MemphisX    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I remember the 3 year plan. Worked like a charm too. If this is the beginning of a new 3 year plan when will Wallace inform the fans of the vision for the team he wants to build? 

I wonder if the moves being made now have any relation to the Buy/Sell agreement between Pera and Kaplan? For those that don't know, Steve Kaplan owns as much of the Grizzlies as Robert Pera. Come October Kaplan has the right to give a price on the team that Pera can either match and buy out Kaplan or sell to him at the same price. The FO wants to keep this quiet of course but I wonder how much this situation is affecting what the team does right now? 

I am guessing it is having some effect.  I expect Kaplan to be the owner going into the season.  Pera will likely take his profit and jump.  I also expect the rebuild to start in earnest and they will use the current front office to do the dirty work of trading Marc and/or Mike before bringing in another team to actually do the rebuilding.

chipc3    0
Just now, MemphisX said:

I am guessing it is having some effect.  I expect Kaplan to be the owner going into the season.  Pera will likely take his profit and jump.  I also expect the rebuild to start in earnest and they will use the current front office to do the dirty work of trading Marc and/or Mike before bringing in another team to actually do the rebuilding.

Wow. Now that would really surprise me. I expect Kaplan to reach high but eventually give in to a mediated price and Pera remain owner (this time with over 50% of the team too). Kaplan will take his winnings from the deal and purchase the TWolves probably and put Jason Levien in charge of the team too. That is why I believe Pera fired Levian so abruptly. He found out Kaplan was getting info from Levien about the team Pera wanted private. 

MemphisX    0
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Wow. Now that would really surprise me. I expect Kaplan to reach high but eventually give in to a mediated price and Pera remain owner (this time with over 50% of the team too). Kaplan will take his winnings from the deal and purchase the TWolves probably and put Jason Levien in charge of the team too. That is why I believe Pera fired Levian so abruptly. He found out Kaplan was getting info from Levien about the team Pera wanted private. 

I guess it depends on Pera's price point.  Kaplan wants to own a team, that much is clear.  There are only 30 and maybe 2-3 available right now.  So if Pera sets the buyout price at something that Kaplan's group deem is more feasible than hoping to win the Timberwolves in a more open bidding process, I think they take the Grizzlies and run and you could very well see King Jason Levien back on the Grizzlies Throne real soon.

Father Pat    0
7 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I believe this is the most likely scenario. Most of Pera's money is overseas, and his company is buying back stock. Pera can't turn around and sell stock to raise the cash without his company taking a huge hit in stock value. Kaplan was able to raise 800 million for a baseball team a few years ago in a failed attempt to buy it, so he should be able to easily out-price Pera. I'd rather see Pera hold on to the team than Kaplan get it, but I think it is very unlikely.