Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

10 hours ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Horrible comparison. The only comparable trait between the two is shooting. Young is a much better ball handler and passer.

That being said, I'm with MemphisX; he could be the top pick (depending on the rest of the season) or he could be in the middle of the lottery. 

Even though I agree that it could be a recipe for disaster, I'd probably still trade either of them to get Young. My reasoning is this team, as constructed, has reached it's ceiling. It's only going down from this year on (I've been saying that for three years; most refused to listen. Yet here we are). The draft is a crap shoot. Give me as many chances as possible to get it right.

As far as my overall draft board, I'm not real sure right now. I think the two best players are Ayton and Bagley. But I think the NBA is won on the perimeter these days. So I have questions that need to be answered. How well has Porter recovered and is the injury long term? Can Doncic's outrageous skill level overcome his athletic limitations? Also how serious are Doncic's athletic limitations? Are we talking Kyle Anderson lack of athleticism? Or more along the lines of Steph Curry? Also I'm staying away from Mo Bamba at all costs. I have too many Thabeet nightmares to make that move again.  

My reasoning for bring up Hield is that he was supposed to be the next Curry. There were a thousand guys that were supposed to be Micheal before Kobe and Lebron came along. Young is a puny player that isn't deadly enough shooter to do what curry does. In my opinion, he is more like westbrook, but he'll never be westbrook because westbrook is off the charts athletic.

Ask yourself this, what skill does Young have that is elite enough to elicit fear into opponents?  Westbrook's althetic ability? No. Curry's electric shot making and ball handling, not really. 

The move that MUST be made is to trade Marc and get a additional top pick. We cant go wrong with the top 5, but with the Porter injurie situation and Doncic being a international we might have a chance to get both of those guys, I imagine that if we get 2 picks from 1 - 5 we might get both of them what would be the best case scenario for a rebuilding process and for building a championship caliber team.

Dont spend much money in the market and replace Marc with a capable double double big only. Hope for Parsons to finally play and others guys devolop and we might have a playoffs chance, but is more than time to start all over and with a fresh squad in this league.

MC/Harrison/2ndr pick

Doncic/Selden/Mclemore

Porter/Brooks/2ndr pick

Jam/Parsons/Martin

Monroe/Davis/Rabb

5 minutes ago, Once_a_hater said:

The move that MUST be made is to trade Marc and get a additional top pick. We cant go wrong with the top 5, but with the Porter injurie situation and Doncic being a international we might have a chance to get both of those guys, I imagine that if we get 2 picks from 1 - 5 we might get both of them what would be the best case scenario for a rebuilding process and for building a championship caliber team.

Dont spend much money in the market and replace Marc with a capable double double big only. Hope for Parsons to finally play and others guys devolop and we might have a playoffs chance, but is more than time to start all over and with a fresh squad in this league.

MC/Harrison/2ndr pick

Doncic/Selden/Mclemore

Porter/Brooks/2ndr pick

Jam/Parsons/Martin

Monroe/Davis/Rabb

Honestly, if the Grizzlies were to trade Gasol for a first round pick, I'd rather the pick be in 2019. I just feel like it'll be better to draft a player, build around that player, then draft another player for the 2019 draft.

Parsons is done. It's just a waiting game, the good news is that after this season, we'll enter the back nine of Parsons' contract. Only 2+ years of misery left.

21 hours ago, Dwash said:

Yep my prediction was that he would be a turnover machine with poor shooting in conference play.

Because the rest of that team is trash. 

13 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

My reasoning for bring up Hield is that he was supposed to be the next Curry. There were a thousand guys that were supposed to be Micheal before Kobe and Lebron came along. Young is a puny player that isn't deadly enough shooter to do what curry does. In my opinion, he is more like westbrook, but he'll never be westbrook because westbrook is off the charts athletic.

Ask yourself this, what skill does Young have that is elite enough to elicit fear into opponents?  Westbrook's althetic ability? No. Curry's electric shot making and ball handling, not really. 

I don't remember anyone hyping Hield as the next Curry. I could see them saying he was a Curry like shooter, but not the overall package. Hield can't dribble.

Very few have Westbrook's athletic ability. Young is an average athlete. Does he have Curry's handle or freakish shot making ability? Can't say he does until you actually see it on the NBA level, but most likely he doesn't. No one has before Curry or since Curry. I will say this- I think he has better handles and shot making ability than Curry did as a freshman in college. Which means he has potential. Plus he doesn't have to be the next Curry to be great. What if he is just Damian Lillard? Oh that would be so sad.

13 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Yes. His shooting ability is off the charts. He mere fact that he is shooting over 40% from three on 10 attempts a game should be enough to show that.

His court vision is amazing for a freshman too. Ask yourself this, when is the last time a freshman had more than 20 assists in a game. Let alone avg 10 assists in a game.

His ball handling isn’t great, but you are severely underrating it. You seem to forget he has he ball in his hands 99% of the game. He’s literally the only one on that team with handles.

He already shoots better than Westbrook ever will. That alone brings your argument to a screeching halt. 

9 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I don't remember anyone hyping Hield as the next Curry. I could see them saying he was a Curry like shooter, but not the overall package. Hield can't dribble.

Very few have Westbrook's athletic ability. Young is an average athlete. Does he have Curry's handle or freakish shot making ability? Can't say he does until you actually see it on the NBA level, but most likely he doesn't. No one has before Curry or since Curry. I will say this- I think he has better handles and shot making ability than Curry did as a freshman in college. Which means he has potential. Plus he doesn't have to be the next Curry to be great. What if he is just Damian Lillard? Oh that would be so sad.

That’s what I’m saying. He doesn’t have to be on Curry’s level. 

45 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

That’s what I’m saying. He doesn’t have to be on Curry’s level. 

I think he does have to be a Curry type shooter to be a great player. I dont see any other skill in his game that has the potential to be great.

When you are talking #1 pick in this draft, Im going for great.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I think he does have to be a Curry type shooter to be a great player. I dont see any other skill in his game that has the potential to be great.

When you are talking #1 pick in this draft, Im going for great.

We aren’t getting the first pick. I believe he will go top 3 but only two draft boards have him in the top 3 right now. Most have him going by the 6th pick. 

So passing isn’t a big asset in his game? 

Also, if we are back on the subject of curry, his handles were far from what they are now when he was in college. So was his size, so was his passing, etc.

Everyhing you see in Curry has been developed over time once he got into the NBA. He didn’t come out guns blazing.

Trae Young has he potential to be something great in this league. Every player coming into the NBA this year has flaws. 

Everyone wants to pick apart a guys game but are skipping over what he is doing. This isn’t a junior, or a sophomore, or even a senior. This is a freshman. A FRESHMAN! Putting up numbers regardless of who he plays. 

Everyone likes Mike Conley on this board but there isn’t one person who can tell me that Trae Young is not already a better player than Conley. And he’s 19!

The last college player to average over 10 assists a game was Nelson Haggerty in 1994-1995. He averaged 10.14.

So it’s been 22 years since a college player averaged over 10 assists a game. 

The 4 players to average over 10 assists a game were 

Avery Johnson (did it for 2 seasons)

Mark Wade 

Anthony Manuel 

Nelson Haggerty 

That’s it. No other player in college history has averaged 10 assists a game besides these guys. Let that sink in. 

Young is also the first player since the 80s to dish out more than 20 assists a game. Avery Johnson did it twice. 

27 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

We aren’t getting the first pick. I believe he will go top 3 but only two draft boards have him in the top 3 right now. Most have him going by the 6th pick. 

So passing isn’t a big asset in his game? 

Also, if we are back on the subject of curry, his handles were far from what they are now when he was in college. So was his size, so was his passing, etc.

Everyhing you see in Curry has been developed over time once he got into the NBA. He didn’t come out guns blazing.

Trae Young has he potential to be something great in this league. Every player coming into the NBA this year has flaws. 

Everyone wants to pick apart a guys game but are skipping over what he is doing. This isn’t a junior, or a sophomore, or even a senior. This is a freshman. A FRESHMAN! Putting up numbers regardless of who he plays. 

Everyone likes Mike Conley on this board but there isn’t one person who can tell me that Trae Young is not already a better player than Conley. And he’s 19!

This is just my observation but I think he gets most of his assists from his extremely high usage and the attention that he draws due to teams being in fear of his scoring.  I dont see him having the same passing instincts  and reads of Lonzo Ball, for example, even though he averaged more assists. Kinda like Westbrook, for example, or Marbury. They had/have big assists but no one called them great passers. I think once you put bigger longer defenders on him and he isnt as big of a threat to score, then his assists wont be as easy. Again, just my observation.

4 minutes ago, Dwash said:

This is just my observation but I think he gets most of his assists from his extremely high usage and the attention that he draws due to teams being in fear of his scoring.  I dont see him having the same passing instincts  and reads of Lonzo Ball, for example, even though he averaged more assists. Kinda like Westbrook, for example, or Marbury. They had/have big assists but no one called them great passers. I think once you put bigger longer defenders on him and he isnt as big of a threat to score, then his assists wont be as easy. Again, just my observation.

I've only watched him twice, but several of his passes were absolutely amazing. I do agree his usage rate is extremely high. That coupled with his scoring ability helps with the high assist total. But from what I've seen, his passing is definitely above average.

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Wait a minute Memphis Maverick.  I love me some Trae Young, but he's not already a better player than Mike Conley.  Not yet.  Mike is very solid in a lot of areas and can crank up the defense in clutch situations.  He has earned the respect of his teammates, opponents and officials.  Trae will be tested for a few years and has to earn that respect, but I agree he certainly has the potential to be as good (and maybe better) than Mike in a few years.

23 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I've only watched him twice, but several of his passes were absolutely amazing. I do agree his usage rate is extremely high. That coupled with his scoring ability helps with the high assist total. But from what I've seen, his passing is definitely above average.

I will have to see that tape then because I have watched a bunch of highlights and most of his passes that I saw were to wide open players. I saw a couple of lobs over the defense, but again, it just looked like guys being to anxious to help in my opinion.

I think he is good or above average, I just dont see great.

1 hour ago, pjoe said:

Wait a minute Memphis Maverick.  I love me some Trae Young, but he's not already a better player than Mike Conley.  Not yet.  Mike is very solid in a lot of areas and can crank up the defense in clutch situations.  He has earned the respect of his teammates, opponents and officials.  Trae will be tested for a few years and has to earn that respect, but I agree he certainly has the potential to be as good (and maybe better) than Mike in a few years.

See above post referring to assists. 

Also, none of the above referenced players averaged more than 12 points a game and were strictly distributors.Avery avg 11pts one season and one guy averaged 12 points but the other two never got over 8pts a game.

To my knowledge (and I can’t find anything to dispute this) he would be the first college player to average 20+ points and 10 assists a game. 

Keep in mind assists weren’t recorded until the 80s I believe.

Thats a pretty big deal.

2 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

I am telling you he is not better than Mike Conley right now. Now whether you choose to believe it or not is your choice.

35 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

See above post referring to assists. 

I did. Only player who made any impact in the NBA was Avery Johnson. And I would take Mike Conley over Avery Johnson any day. NCAA stats don't guarantee NBA success. I think Trae Young is one helluva prospect. But I am not putting him over anyone in the NBA who has established themselves to the level Conley has (and I don't think Conley is as great as some on this board do).

2 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

I am telling you he is not better than Mike Conley right now. Now whether you choose to believe it or not is your choice.

I did. Only player who made any impact in the NBA was Avery Johnson. And I would take Mike Conley over Avery Johnson any day. NCAA stats don't guarantee NBA success. I think Trae Young is one helluva prospect. But I am not putting him over anyone in the NBA who has established themselves to the level Conley has (and I don't think Conley is as great as some on this board do).

You overate Mike Conley even though he’s been mostly underrated by the NBA.

I like the idea of Doncic ( 6'8" can handle the ball and shoot, versatile positionally) for this team.   We need another guy that can handle and create on the wing badly.   

Losing Tyreke means we are back to having only Conley as the true perimeter threat.    NONE of the guys on our wing currently project to be that guy in near future.   However, the athleticism thing does bother me and from what i have seen on highlights doesn't encourage me.    

None of the American SF prospects have the advanced handles which is becoming really important in the NBA if you plan on being a primary scorer.   One thing that may help negate Doncic's lack of athleticism is if he has a long wingspan.  He could be what we wanted Parsons to be but that still doesn't solve the primary alpha conundrum. 

So personally I am torn between Porter Jr,  Doncic, Bagley and Ayton.    Which one has star potential? Which one can help us right away?  Which one is best fit?

In a lot of the highlight videos floating around Doncic is only 15 and 16 years old. Hard to tell which ones are recent

23 minutes ago, Allen said:

In a lot of the highlight videos floating around Doncic is only 15 and 16 years old. Hard to tell which ones are recent

Search for his name in the Euroleague's Youtube channel, highlights are usually published the same or next day

https://www.youtube.com/user/Euroleague/search?query=doncic

I'll try to give links to games if possible, although times may not be too good for the US except maybe on Sundays.

1 hour ago, fanboyslim said:

Search for his name in the Euroleague's Youtube channel, highlights are usually published the same or next day

https://www.youtube.com/user/Euroleague/search?query=doncic

I'll try to give links to games if possible, although times may not be too good for the US except maybe on Sundays.

Heres a good one thank you. 

https://youtu.be/Jw361h7nH8k

My god Marc is charmin soft (4:00 mark) but I dont see why athleticism would be a problem. He seems as athletic as any other player in the league

The girl at 5:10 was ready for it

42 minutes ago, Allen said:

Heres a good one thank you. 

https://youtu.be/Jw361h7nH8k

My god Marc is charmin soft (4:00 mark) but I dont see why athleticism would be a problem. He seems as athletic as any other player in the league

The girl at 5:10 was ready for it

He may not look athletic in comparison with some of the freaks in his same draft class, but he is far from unathletic. He will have to work in the gym a lot, but look at that frame, he will have no problem gaining muscle.

Oh, and the comparison with Marc is not fair. Doncic is a good rebounder.

Just now, fanboyslim said:

He may look not athletic in comparison with some of the freaks in his same draft class, but he is far from it. He will have to work in the gym a lot, but look at that frame, he will have no problem gaining muscle.

His lack of elite athleticism doesn't have to be a total stumbling block if we line him up at SF.     For example have Kobi at PG and Wayne at SG with JaM or Jarrell at PF then he can easily be hidden on defense if need be.   

I can see the value of his high-level of play in Euroleague - it reminds me of Rubio.    Rubio has never been an AllStar but he has proven to be a legit NBA player and starter.     Rubio held himself back by not developing himself more offensively if Doncic is willing to put in work to continue growing then he can reach a higher height than Rubio.   

If Porter, Ayton, or Bagley aren't available i think i would rather have Doncic than  Trae Young.