Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

On 1/7/2018 at 2:26 PM, MemphisX said:

You contend everyone in the NBA is conspiring against white players? Really?

Of course. Always have. They froze out Bird, Stockton,  Cousy, Mikan, Jerry West, McHale, Havlicek, Maravich, Bill Walton, Sabonis, Divac ... and more recently look at the wasted potential of Nash, Hayward, Nowitzki, Ginobili, Griffin, Kerr, Mike Miller, both Lopezes, both Gasols and Porzingis. Brutal!  Who knows what those guys could have done if they'd been allowed to play! 

Coaching, until recently, that's another story.  

On 1/7/2018 at 7:08 PM, Kevin B Moses said:

I am looking to upgrade our athletic ability on this team. Miles Bridges and Jackson do that. I don't want no 6-2 lightweight. Trae Young.

I think bridges is the Mike Conley of Small Forwards. He has cut down on his turnovers and he has made a huge leap in free throw % this year. 

He's not winning you a championship.  The only players worthy of carrying a team to a championship in this draft are Porter, Young, and Doncic.  The other players are nice but they'll never have the potential to be a #1 on a championship team.

29 minutes ago, Iron Mike said:

He's playing with kids, lets wait for him to play with the big boys then lets talk again. lol

Mike was playing with grown men and sucking when he was in college. Just look at Oden.

20 minutes ago, WVgrizz said:

Jevon Carter.....Dude is a beast.

Strong guard with interesting game - wouldn't be opposed to Griz taking a second round flyer on him.

50 minutes ago, Grizz&Grind said:

Young is pretty good.

Would be a nice pick for the Griz if they didn't get top 3.

He will go top 3

In today's no-touch NBA ... Trae Young will be very dangerous.  If it were 5 years or more ago, I would be worried about his size.  Now?  Nah.  He will be excellent.

8 minutes ago, pjoe said:

In today's no-touch NBA ... Trae Young will be very dangerous.  If it were 5 years or more ago, I would be worried about his size.  Now?  Nah.  He will be excellent.

How's that working out for buddy hield

37 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

He’s shooting 45% from 3.

One field goal make in the first half for Young and he still came back and put up 25+ 10 assists agains the 8th ranked team in the nation.

1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

He’s shooting 45% from 3.

The point is that Heild, even with his 45% shooting from 3, doesn't elicit fear into opponents.

But again, the board demanded OJ and now they are demanding Young.

Anyway, MemphisX, I know you are smart enough to know how many limitations Young has and how much of a bust he could be. You know basketball. You aren't a fanboy of anybody. You know as well as I do that depending on Young to be a superstar enough to give away conley and gasol because of him is a receipt for disaster.

Anyway, maybe it is because Young's #1 fan posts so much on this board to defend him that I am missing where most of the board has him ranked.

If Young keeps up his shooting numbers and turnovers in conference play that he's starting out with, he ain't going top 5

5 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

If Young keeps up his shooting numbers and turnovers in conference play that he's starting out with, he ain't going top 5

Yep my prediction was that he would be a turnover machine with poor shooting in conference play.

10 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The point is that Heild, even with his 45% shooting from 3, doesn't elicit fear into opponents.

But again, the board demanded OJ and now they are demanding Young.

Anyway, MemphisX, I know you are smart enough to know how many limitations Young has and how much of a bust he could be. You know basketball. You aren't a fanboy of anybody. You know as well as I do that depending on Young to be a superstar enough to give away conley and gasol because of him is a receipt for disaster.

Anyway, maybe it is because Young's #1 fan posts so much on this board to defend him that I am missing where most of the board has him ranked.

Not to talk down Buddy Heild, but Heild averaged 7.8 ppg as a freshman and never averaged more than 2 assists his entire 4 year career.

Young is averaging 29.2 ppg and 10.1 assists as a freshman.  Maybe, just maybe, he is a little different?

And I'm not saying give away Conley or Gasol either.  I'm just saying if we get lucky and have a chance to pick Young ... vote me in.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Yep my prediction was that he would be a turnover machine with poor shooting in conference play.

He had 4 TO in 36 minutes while still getting 10 asssits. His usage rate is so high he is going to be turnover prone. His assist to to ratio is still over 2-1 and he has the ball in his hand 99% of the time coming down the court. 

1 hour ago, Memphis Maverick said:

He had 4 TO in 36 minutes while still getting 10 asssits. His usage rate is so high he is going to be turnover prone. His assist to to ratio is still over 2-1 and he has the ball in his hand 99% of the time coming down the court. 

And his shooting the last two games and Assist/to vs West Virginia?

8 minutes ago, Dwash said:

And his shooting the last two games and Assist/to vs West Virginia?

Still shot 40% from 3 last game on 10 attempts and is getting to the foul line more than 10 times a game.

Hes had one bad turnover game against one of the best defenses in the country and still got to the line 13 times and had 29 points. I still contest that he is the only player on that team. 

As a matter of fact, last game 2 of his turnovers were on doubles and he just couldn’t get the ball away. 

Ifs not like he is making bad decisions with the ball. A guy with his kind of usage rate is going to get turnovers. There isn’t another kid in the country that has the ball in his hands the amount of time Trae does in a game. 

2 hours ago, Dwash said:

I watched some video of their game against WV (not the full game but more than just highlights) and I got the impression that he's the only one in his team that can handle the ball and take shots so as soon as the other team puts pressure on him his shooting and turnover numbers go straight to the crapper.

I don't know if that's good because he'll have more help in the NBA and won't be doubled as often or bad because fast and physical NBA defenders could keep him off his game all the time.

14 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Horrible comparison. The only comparable trait between the two is shooting. Young is a much better ball handler and passer.

That being said, I'm with MemphisX; he could be the top pick (depending on the rest of the season) or he could be in the middle of the lottery. 

12 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

You know as well as I do that depending on Young to be a superstar enough to give away conley and gasol because of him is a receipt for disaster.

Even though I agree that it could be a recipe for disaster, I'd probably still trade either of them to get Young. My reasoning is this team, as constructed, has reached it's ceiling. It's only going down from this year on (I've been saying that for three years; most refused to listen. Yet here we are). The draft is a crap shoot. Give me as many chances as possible to get it right.

As far as my overall draft board, I'm not real sure right now. I think the two best players are Ayton and Bagley. But I think the NBA is won on the perimeter these days. So I have questions that need to be answered. How well has Porter recovered and is the injury long term? Can Doncic's outrageous skill level overcome his athletic limitations? Also how serious are Doncic's athletic limitations? Are we talking Kyle Anderson lack of athleticism? Or more along the lines of Steph Curry? Also I'm staying away from Mo Bamba at all costs. I have too many Thabeet nightmares to make that move again.  

21 minutes ago, lsugrizzfan said:

Horrible comparison. The only comparable trait between the two is shooting. Young is a much better ball handler and passer.

I love Buddy Hield too, but spot on here...he's just a more athletic, modern day Dale Ellis or Chuck Person - straight shooter and nothing else.