Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

MemphisX    0
1 minute ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I doubt pera will sell. He wants to keep the team in my opinion. 

It is not his choice.  If Kaplan wants the team, he gets it.  Pera can set some extraordinary price point but then he has to cash out Kaplan at that price if and only if Kaplan refuses to pay that extraordinary price.

Father Pat    0
2 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

It is not his choice.  If Kaplan wants the team, he gets it.  Pera can set some extraordinary price point but then he has to cash out Kaplan at that price if and only if Kaplan refuses to pay that extraordinary price.

Yup. Pera is short on cash while playing high stake poker.

bhoyal    0

There will be some decent second round "flier" picks out here.

Legit 7-2/295 Isaac Haas being one and pure-shooter Matt Fisher-Davis being one.

Fish-Dave went to the same high school as Steph Curry and broke all of his records iirc.

4 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

Pera seems extremely active to be ready to sell out. Admittedly I don't know the ends and outs of it, but I assume that some agreement will be made between them.

chipc3    0
50 minutes ago, MemphisX said:

I guess it depends on Pera's price point.  Kaplan wants to own a team, that much is clear.  There are only 30 and maybe 2-3 available right now.  So if Pera sets the buyout price at something that Kaplan's group deem is more feasible than hoping to win the Timberwolves in a more open bidding process, I think they take the Grizzlies and run and you could very well see King Jason Levien back on the Grizzlies Throne real soon.

Kaplan names the price. Pera gets to decide if he wants to pay that much or accept that much for his shares. 

1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

Kaplan names the price. Pera gets to decide if he wants to pay that much or accept that much for his shares. 

So pera, not Kaplan, is in charge. Basically, he can just buy Kaplan out at the price Kaplan sets?

chipc3    0
31 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

So pera, not Kaplan, is in charge. Basically, he can just buy Kaplan out at the price Kaplan sets?

Exactly. Of course if Kaplan sets the price too high Pera can just say "it's yours." To be fair, it's possible that neither side does anything also. The option is Kaplan's alone. He doesn't have to make an offer.

The problem of course is that if Kaplan and Pera aren't on the same page, and there is nothing I have read that suggests they are, then how can a team make good long term decisions when they don't know what is going to be happening in 5 months? Wallace loves his job and doesn't want to lose it but if Kaplan takes over he would most likely be out the door with Pera.

It's been assumed that Kaplan would prefer to buy the Minnesota but he only has to buy 25% of the Grizzlies versus 100% of the TWolves to become majority owner. While he may prefer the TWolves he may settle for the cheaper purchase of the Grizzlies despite over-paying for Pera's 25%.

Conversely, if Pera decides he'll buy out Kaplan regardless of the cost, will he bring in more minority owners and keep his personal ownership low or will he take over true majority control? Would the expense of buying out Kaplan effect how he runs the team going forward? Would the minority owners be happier with Kaplan or Pera? What if they want out regardless of who wins the buy/sell war?  

How screwed up would things be if Kaplan puts a big number down to buy the team, fires Wallace and replaces him with Jason Levien again???  

Excerpt from the Pick and Pop article last year:

In the first year of ownership, Kaplan was a frequent visitor, often seen courtside and in the locker room and, according to some, actively involved in team management. Since the firing of Levien, he’s been generally absent, seen on the court at a couple of road games but, as far as I know, unseen in Memphis.

Here's Chris Herrington's take on the situation from last year.

Perhaps this conversation needs its own thead. I'll try and find out if one was started in the past. 

I'm sorry and maybe I'm wrong but I feel the grizz will be moved in the near future no matter who owns it.   It says Kaplan is rarely around, how often is pera around?  Does he have any interest in memphis?  If the team gets ran in the ground over the next two years, I'm worried about the attendance stipulation in the grizz fed ex contract.   An owner could make it happen if he wanted to move the team is what I'm saying.  

I still feel one of the biggest mistakes in Memphis grizz history is not getting local ownership of the grizz team.  That deal on bids sounds dicey. 

Thomas    0
3 hours ago, chipc3 said:

How screwed up would things be if Kaplan puts a big number down to buy the team, fires Wallace and replaces him with Jason Levien again???

That would be amazing.

4 hours ago, chipc3 said:

The article reads that Pera sets the price and Kaplan decides if he wants to pay it. Says Kaplan could trigger a clause where Pera sets the price and Kaplan decides if he wants to pay it.  He can decline and then Pera would buy Kaplan out.  I thought it was the other way around like you say Chip but if you read the article, it says Kaplan triggers the action.  Pera sets the price and Kaplan decides if he buys or sells. 

Anyway, if Kaplan ends up with it, would he want to move the team?  Dont know much about Kaplan, but if he has to come up with a big chunk of change, he might want to try to move it to reap more revenue.  However, anyone who wants to move the Grizz early will have to pony up even more $$$ so who knows?

I wish someone like Staley Cates and Fred Smith along with other locals could just come up with the scratch to get the non local owners out.  This is the only major sports team MEM is going to have.  We need it to be solidly in Memphis and not have to worry about somebody swooping in and taking it from us

chipc3    0
13 hours ago, southbluffsgrizzfan said:

The article reads that Pera sets the price and Kaplan decides if he wants to pay it. Says Kaplan could trigger a clause where Pera sets the price and Kaplan decides if he wants to pay it.  He can decline and then Pera would buy Kaplan out.  I thought it was the other way around like you say Chip but if you read the article, it says Kaplan triggers the action.  Pera sets the price and Kaplan decides if he buys or sells. 

Anyway, if Kaplan ends up with it, would he want to move the team?  Dont know much about Kaplan, but if he has to come up with a big chunk of change, he might want to try to move it to reap more revenue.  However, anyone who wants to move the Grizz early will have to pony up even more $$$ so who knows?

I wish someone like Staley Cates and Fred Smith along with other locals could just come up with the scratch to get the non local owners out.  This is the only major sports team MEM is going to have.  We need it to be solidly in Memphis and not have to worry about somebody swooping in and taking it from us

I believe the article is mistaked. First, it has never been reported that way before. Second, it seems the basis for this article was the ESPN article and that article stated:

At that time, Kaplan and fellow minority owner Daniel Straus, an East Coast health care magnate and the team's vice chairman, have an option to make a bid for controlling interest in the team at a price of their choice, sources said. At that point, Pera would have two options: buy out Kaplan and Straus at that named price, or sell his shares to them based on the same valuation. Control of the decision ultimately would rest with Pera.

tangogriz    0

It seems to me that Pera is signaling to Kaplan and the public that he intends to keep the team. He is investing for the future: players, treatment and equipment, FO, local G League team.

Subliminal    0
1 hour ago, MemphisX said:

All things seem to point to is getting the #1 pick this season.

How did you come to that conclusion?

MemphisX    0
15 hours ago, Subliminal said:

This team is going to be bad.

SC Grizz    0
17 hours ago, Subliminal said:

We lost Ben Maclemore (sarcasm)

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:45 PM, fanboyslim said:

I have this clip in my bookmarks.

Yeah, but he didn't even have to do that fancy pass between the legs. He had both guys dead to rights way before that.

fanboyslim    0
4 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Yeah, but he didn't even have to do that fancy pass between the legs. He had both guys dead to rights way before that.

Of course, it was just rubbing salt in their wounds. Classic (former-)Yugoslav.

Dwash    0
22 hours ago, MemphisX said:

This team is going to be bad.

Not #1 pick bad unfortunately.

Subliminal    0
1 hour ago, Dwash said:

#justtank (beg Lionel?)

MemphisX    0
2 hours ago, Dwash said:

Yes it will. 6-8 range in lottery if they stupidly hold on to both Mike and Marc. 34ish wins if they are relatively healthy. Maybe 40 if Parsons has an extraordinary recovery.

Markey78    0
12 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Yes it will. 6-8 range in lottery if they stupidly hold on to both Mike and Marc. 34ish wins if they are relatively healthy. Maybe 40 if Parsons has an extraordinary recovery.

So who do we replace Mike and Marc with? Its not like a Superstar wanna play here

GF#1    0
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:51 PM, MemphisX said:

Lawwwd. :lol:

chipc3    0
On 8/9/2017 at 5:51 PM, MemphisX said:

No way Memphis gets the top pick with the rigged lottery system! 

That's a joke by the way.