50 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Trae isn't interested in mentors.

And i still maintain that the grizzlies can put a run together ala Dallas, with older players. 

Are you insane?

20 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Are you insane?

I think it is insane to surround Mike and Marc with a gimpy max level player, a bunch of G Leaguers and rookies, a perennial all-nba loser and then criticize them for being fake franchise players.

But that's just me.

10 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

Anybody say Trae isn’t legit after tonight....🤷🏼‍♂️

I do like that he seemed to really evaluate criticism and come out and silence the naysayers. Big props to him. Reminds me of how westbrook took criticism and attempted to alter his game.

And like I said, he is the only true alpha in the draft.

Anyway that game alone might have punched his ticket as the #1 pick in the draft. I don't think the grizzlies would take him, but I would assume if the grizzlies got the #1 pick in the draft, they might try to make a trade with someone wanting trae young.

If the grizzlies got the #1 pick, I would be in favor of using trae young as leverage to get a "package" as a return.

He played a normal strong pg game last night instead of playing 100 mph, throwing up the first look he sees and making home run passes. Still would prefer a bigger player like Ayton/Bagley/Porter/Doncic, but that was a 10x better showing than 48 pts on 14-39 shooting.

Trae Young would be the most box office pick for sure. If we're at five or six, I wouldn't mind taking the risk with his talent. Taking him over all the athletic freaks if we're top 3 is nonsense tho.

2 hours ago, ItIsWhatItIs said:

Trae Young would be the most box office pick for sure. If we're at five or six, I wouldn't mind taking the risk with his talent. Taking him over all the athletic freaks if we're top 3 is nonsense tho.

I'm with you. If you're caught up in the hype and take him over a Bagley or Porter, you're gonna regret it. But he's shown enough to where I'm comfortable with any pick in the top 5.

4 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

I do like that he seemed to really evaluate criticism and come out and silence the naysayers. Big props to him. Reminds me of how westbrook took criticism and attempted to alter his game.

And like I said, he is the only true alpha in the draft.

Anyway that game alone might have punched his ticket as the #1 pick in the draft. I don't think the grizzlies would take him, but I would assume if the grizzlies got the #1 pick in the draft, they might try to make a trade with someone wanting trae young.

If the grizzlies got the #1 pick, I would be in favor of using trae young as leverage to get a "package" as a return.

I actually agree with this line of thinking. Of course, I always am in favor of listening to offers. If the offer is worth it, pull the trigger. Just make sure the offer is worth it. But it better be a **** good package if we have the number 1 pick.

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

He played a normal strong pg game last night instead of playing 100 mph, throwing up the first look he sees and making home run passes. Still would prefer a bigger player like Ayton/Bagley/Porter/Doncic, but that was a 10x better showing than 48 pts on 14-39 shooting.

He leads the nation in scoring and assists though.

4 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

He leads the nation in scoring and assists though.

And? I have already been through this, but college and NBA success are not static. Does 29 points at the college level mean that he is going to be a better scorer than any player that didnt average 29? Cause most didnt. Guys like Redick, Morrison, Fredette averaged close to that. Would you take them over Jimmy Butler? Westbrook? Dwade? Drose? And many others that didnt come close to averaging what they did?

5 hours ago, Dwash said:

And? I have already been through this, but college and NBA success are not static. Does 29 points at the college level mean that he is going to be a better scorer than any player that didnt average 29? Cause most didnt. Guys like Redick, Morrison, Fredette averaged close to that. Would you take them over Jimmy Butler? Westbrook? Dwade? Drose? And many others that didnt come close to averaging what they did?

Understand your point, but Young has played consistent in each game (probably except their game against Kansas State). However, consistency means that you're not a fluke. I'm sorry, but Young is legit, and if you pass up on Young because you're scared that he won't perform on the NBA just like he will in college, that's fine. But I'll take Young over the Ayton 100% percent, I'll take Young over Bagley because Young is more beneficial in the NBA. Want to be successful? Get a guard that can shoot 3's and shares the ball. I'll take Young over Porter because of obviously, health.

I wonder about his length.  6'2" with a 6'2" wingspan?  He may be good enough to overcome, or he may be like Jimmer Fredette, great college player, not quite NBA.

1 minute ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Stephen Curry is 6'3" with a 6'0" wingspan.  What's your point?  If you can ball you can ball.

My point is just what I said.  Nothing more, nothing less.  I wonder.  We'll see.

All I know is Trae Young came in from game 1 and became the clear leader (as a true freshman) for Oklahoma and they are sitting at 15-4 now and were 11-20 last year.  That's a huge improvement.  He is an alpha and isn't shy about taking over a game ... just like Curry was for Davidson (Curry actually came off bench early his freshman season and was very turnover prone too).  Just watch how teams are starting to guard Young ... they are determined to shut him down.  And if you don't double / triple team him, he's going to torch you.

I really like Bagley ... he has the chance to be special with his toughness and work ethic.  I love Ayton's skill and potential ... just wish he had Bagley's work ethic.  When the NBA was more physical 5-10 years ago, I would take either of those first.

But not in today's touch-foul NBA.  I'll take Trae Young if he's available.  If he doesn't have at least as good a NBA career as Damian Lillard, I would be surprised.  His ceiling ... who knows?

2 hours ago, MemphisX said:

Should take us to the next level.

:lol:  I'm laughing with you not at you.

Real point guard game by Trae Young so far.  2nd game in a row.  Much more impressive than jacking 40 shots and dominating the ball which some insisted was necessary but I knew it wasnt. That hardly ever is.

Sexton is strong and athletic but not a good distributor at all.

On 1/21/2018 at 9:38 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

Trae isn't interested in mentors.

(1) Evidence of that claim?

(2) If so, then he won't be the player we need him to be. Wade Baldwin was a teenage know-it-all. So was Steve Francis. No thanks. 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:29 PM, memgrizzlies321 said:

Trae would make us one of the most popular NBA teams automatically... Think of how exciting our games would be. Having everyone else time into US for once.  He's transcendent.

That doesn't get mentioned often in the discussion of draft-for-need vs best-player-available, but if two players are more or less equal there's much to be said to taking the exciting one.  

Young is so bad at finishing at the basket, that it looks like his answer to tight defense is to shoot from even further out.

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

That doesn't get mentioned often in the discussion of draft-for-need vs best-player-available, but if two players are more or less equal there's much to be said to taking the exciting one.  

OJ Mayo was pretty popular. :ph34r: