Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

I have picked Doncic apart, but I still see a strong player. I said in the Joe Johnson level. NBA draft.net said Steve Smith.  Maybe Gordon Hayward. These are nice players. But the NBA game promotes great perimeter one on one scorers who are decent/good passers as their top stars. I see Doncic as a good/great passer but just a good not great scorer, which really isnt a superstar in the NBA but a good player.

6 minutes ago, Dwash said:

I have picked Doncic apart, but I still see a strong player. I said in the Joe Johnson level. NBA draft.net said Steve Smith.  Maybe Gordon Hayward. These are nice players. But the NBA game promotes great perimeter one on one scorers who are decent/good passers as their top stars. I see Doncic as a good/great passer but just a good not great scorer, which really isnt a superstar in the NBA but a good player.

That's a fair criticism. However consider that he's surrounded by several good scorers in Real Madrid, not to mention Goran Dragic in Slovenia, so he's usually not required to score a lot (still, 16ppg in 25mpg is nothing to scoff at). A more interesting quality is his ability to score in bunches and take over games in critical stretches.

I think what I would like to see from him in the rest of the season is if he has the ability to assert that kind dominance over an entire game, which probably won't be called for until the playoffs because Real Madrid is going with a 10-11 player rotation at this point.

And this gives me an excuse to put this video here. It's a bit old but the stream of expletives from Real Madrid's coach (tactfully removed from the subtitles) crack me up every time. :P

On 1/11/2018 at 5:33 PM, Memphis Maverick said:

No. As a matter of fact two of the 4 were undrafted. 
And every single one of them were under 6ft tall and weighed no more than 160lbs. 
Why does that matter?
You have a kid avg 29pts and 10 assists. Not 11pts and 10 assists. 
The point is that it is very hard to do and hasn’t been done since the 90s. 

It matters because it appears quite clear that having done it does not lead to NBA success.

I will keep saying we must trade Gasol... I really want us to try to have a chance to draft Porter with an additional pick we get in Gasol's trade. If we get another lottery pick, get some lucky and Porter falls we draft Doncic and Porter in that order. 

1 hour ago, TimBC said:

It matters because it appears quite clear that having done it does not lead to NBA success.

None of those guys were as athletic or as talented as Trae Young. The last player to have a 20+ assists game made it in the NBA. 

Dide just came off of a 43/11rebounds/7 game against his second ranked team and won both. 

I'm sorry, but Trae Young is absurd and he's the closest thing to Steph Curry as it gets. He'll get stronger as he gets older, but he hit a step-back three pointer today against TCU. He's a quick passer as well. 

8 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

I'm sorry, but Trae Young is absurd and he's the closest thing to Steph Curry as it gets. He'll get stronger as he gets older, but he hit a step-back three pointer today against TCU. He's a quick passer as well. 

Some people are just in denial. 

24 minutes ago, GoGrizz! said:

Trae Young looks like he could be a great shooter on the level of Steph. But once again his pg play is trash, 7 assists to 9 turnovers. Im not looking for another Steph because Steph didnt really look like a superstar until Kerr came along and change their system. He looked like a good player but not a game changer. If you cant find basically three other guys to run the offense for him what is he? He certainly isnt the winner he is today.

9 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Trae Young looks like he could be a great shooter on the level of Steph. But once again his pg play is trash, 7 assists to 9 turnovers. Im not looking for another Steph because Steph didnt really look like a superstar until Kerr came along and change their system. He looked like a good player but not a game changer. If you cant find basically three other guys to run the offense for him what is he? He certainly isnt the winner he is today.

You build a team. You find those players. CW won’t be around long and hopefully we will have people to put around whoever we draft

20 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

You build a team. You find those players. CW won’t be around long and hopefully we will have people to put around whoever we draft

Yeah but they arent easy to find either. Id rather pick a guy who is more likely to maximize his potential on his own if you can.  Of all the superstars in the league Steph probably needs the most help being one when compared to Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Paul, Embiid, etc so this just isnt the model I would want to build around even though GSW looks hot now.

8 hours ago, Dwash said:

Yeah, thats bologna. Steph was a superstar in the making when Marc Jackson was there. We all knew it was coming. You can't blame the help that Steph gets as well. Thompson and Draymond Green were drafted, can't blame Steph for that. Even Harrison Barnes was drafted. Iguodala came via trade and stayed through the free agency. All of them succeeded and brought into the analytics and strategy, which won them a championship, and 73 games. That was the ingredients of getting Durant. Can't blame Steph for that. 

Help? Russell had to go after Paul George and Carmelo Anthony. LeBron always have to make that one trade during the season to bring him a 'specialty' player.

Harden went after Chris Paul and sign guys like Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson. 

But Steph is the only that needs help?

7 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

Yeah, thats bologna. Steph was a superstar in the making when Marc Jackson was there. We all knew it was coming. 

Nike ftw

And actually the correct way to say this is that's boloney. You are actually calling his statement a large smoked, seasoned sausage made from various meats.

9 hours ago, GoGrizz! said:

Yeah, thats bologna. Steph was a superstar in the making when Marc Jackson was there. We all knew it was coming. You can't blame the help that Steph gets as well. Thompson and Draymond Green were drafted, can't blame Steph for that. Even Harrison Barnes was drafted. Iguodala came via trade and stayed through the free agency. All of them succeeded and brought into the analytics and strategy, which won them a championship, and 73 games. That was the ingredients of getting Durant. Can't blame Steph for that. 

Help? Russell had to go after Paul George and Carmelo Anthony. LeBron always have to make that one trade during the season to bring him a 'specialty' player.

Harden went after Chris Paul and sign guys like Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson. 

But Steph is the only that needs help?

He was good under Mark Jackson, but not considered on the level of those other players from what I remember. What Kerr realized is that Curry is a point guard who needs other high iq players to run the offense and set him up for him to be at his best. Its not an easy mix of players to duplicate, imo. 

In other words, I aint trying to draft a point guard as our superstar then spend years figuring out how to play our point guard off the ball more.

Just finding a few shooters or scorers to put around your pg isnt nearly as hard to build (Harden, Westbrook, CP3). Id rather have a pg that can control the ball all game if needed and excel. If I was starting a team I would easily take one of those guys (prime) over Curry.

Wish we didn't have such an injury-plagued history as a franchise, this would make taking Porter in the top 4 easy.

Porter and Bagley seem a head above the rest of this class. If Porter comes back and plays for Mizzou before the draft, he will be top 2 off the board. 

I like Ayton, Doncic, Young after them though. 

Trae is the only guy in this draft I can for sure say is an alpha.  I mean, I went back and you can see videos starting from the 10th grade and he has done the exact same thing on EVERY level.  Absurd numbers.  Absurd shot making.  Absurd playmaking.  And the turnovers do not bother me because OU has nothing else on the perimeter.   He has his limitations with size but his 1st step and shot making will translate to the NBA. 

I hope people do not take criticism of these players as hating because I think the top 7ish all have All Star potential.  Ayton, Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Young, Jackson, Bamba and even Miles Bridges. 

With the state of our team, I am not really caring about fit.  I want the best upside/likely to reach upside player on the board.  Not interested in the highest floor type of guy.

Re: Trading Gasol...Only for another lottery pick or our pick back from Boston.  Do not want to spend all next season listening to people praise Ainge for fleecing Chris Wallace. 

On 1/14/2018 at 5:43 AM, Kevin B Moses said:

Nike ftw

And actually the correct way to say this is that's boloney. You are actually calling his statement a large smoked, seasoned sausage made from various meats.

Normally bAloney, with boloney as a variant, but since it's all Bologna sausage anyway, you lose, thanks for playing.