Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

26 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

It's not the injury, it's the surgery. He had part of a spinal disc removed, meaning for the rest of his career he'll have to deal with the bone against bone grinding. That's a major day to day problem for a regular person, and much worse for a very tall elite athlete.

That's not to say his career is over or anything. With luck and good physical management he may realize his full potential, but you can't dismiss the significant risk of persistent back problems. In my personal opinion, he is a high risk / high reward prospect, and you don't pick him if there are still other high ceiling players available.

It will cause him to retire early. Book it. 

2 minutes ago, Memphis Maverick said:

It will cause him to retire early. Book it. 

Eh, I wouldn't go that far just yet. It's not a Brandon Roy case. I'm more concerned about him missing lots of games every season, especially now that he's still in his formative years.

It will all depend on how far down he goes in the draft. Since he won't be playing any more this season and the hype will be focused elsewhere there is a good chance that he'll drop out of the top 5 completely.

38 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Eh, I wouldn't go that far just yet. It's not a Brandon Roy case. I'm more concerned about him missing lots of games every season, especially now that he's still in his formative years.

It will all depend on how far down he goes in the draft. Since he won't be playing any more this season and the hype will be focused elsewhere there is a good chance that he'll drop out of the top 5 completely.

And be our pick. Our second thabeet

Very little chance I'd draft Porter if I was the Griz FO.

If it turns out to be the biggest miss of all-time, I'd just be prepared to live with that, but I'll gamble that it won't be.

On 1/9/2018 at 11:27 AM, Iron Mike said:

He's playing with kids, lets wait for him to play with the big boys then lets talk again. lol

For real man. Trae is playing against collegiate players. Remember RJ hunter who was shooting the ball amazingly and comes to the nba and just falls on his face. Granted he looks like a great shooter but there is no way he finishes at the rim at the same level as Mike.

13 minutes ago, bobblybook1 said:

For real man. Trae is playing against collegiate players. Remember RJ hunter who was shooting the ball amazingly and comes to the nba and just falls on his face. Granted he looks like a great shooter but there is no way he finishes at the rim at the same level as Mike.

To be fair, rookie Mike Conley wasn't exactly the hottest thing out there.

19 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Season ending injury with a potential of long term issues and recurrence? CW must be salivating.

Where does he go to school at? I might could get to be his personal trainer.

41 minutes ago, bobblybook1 said:

Bagley, Ayton, Sexton, or Doncic seem the safest bet at the moment.

You're a loser franchise if you pick based on highest floor.  You pick based on highest ceiling.  That's Porter.  After that is Bagley, Doncic, Young, then Ayton.

21 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The biggest problem with the grizzlies is that they built an offense irrespective of their franchise player. Fizdale basically turned marc into a 3 point set shooter, which caused all sorts of problems. Plus Fizdale's defensive principles made us into the worst defense in the league.

That's kinda why we have to get rid of Bickerstaff because the guy literally has changed nothing.  

That's the best thing he could've done, run the offense through him, let him shoot a few 3s. He's not a low post player. Yeah Bickerstaff did try to change things, he tried to make Gasol a low post player and thet was when they played like crap. The Grizz play much better in an uptempo game. The 1 thing about Ennis and Jarell, they force the ball upcourt, they don't walk it up. Fiz just changed the players around so much they didn't have any chemistry, no one knew what they were supposed to be doing on defense.

2 hours ago, bobblybook1 said:

As Fanboy pointed out, Mike Conley sucked in college. 

Also, Mike is horrific at finishing at the rim for a PG. 

2 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

You're a loser franchise if you pick based on highest floor.  You pick based on highest ceiling.  That's Porter.  After that is Bagley, Doncic, Young, then Ayton.

Don does not have a higher ceiling than Young. 

38 minutes ago, Gradey said:

Porter's injury worries me too.

I would take a risk on Porter. He’s very young he’ll heal. I heard he probably will be back playing this year so maybe we’ll get some more footage of him.

1 hour ago, bobblybook1 said:

I would take a risk on Porter. He’s very young he’ll heal. I heard he probably will be back playing this year so maybe we’ll get some more footage of him.

Doubt it. Best case scenario is three months, and he's saying he won't rush it. He's also saying he might not declare (which I guess will be influenced by how low he falls in the mock drafts).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21946110/michael-porter-jr-missouri-tigers-rush-return-back-surgery

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Doubt it. Best case scenario is three months, and he's saying he won't rush it. He's also saying he might not declare (which I guess will be influenced by how low he falls in the mock drafts).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21946110/michael-porter-jr-missouri-tigers-rush-return-back-surgery

I’m hearing his brother Jontay is rising up the boards and might even go lottery.  If he declares MPJ is 100% gone.

3 minutes ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Yeah you’re right.  I’d probably put Doncic after Ayton actually.

I know this is not gonna be popular but the more i watch Doncic, he might be the #1 pick.  I have to keep remembering he might be bigger than out starting PF.

9 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Agree.

But you need to wipe the memory away of Thabeet, or Parsons from your memory.  Grizzlies have PTSD from injuries in the last two or three seasons.  And busts from pretty much every draft since Conley and Gasol (trade).  It makes taking the risk on Porter really hard.  But without that memory, Porter isn't such a big risk.  It's a moderate risk.  The upside is huge.

He's one of the most naturally gifted players I've seen in a long time and his natural style of play and position is something the Grizzlies have lacked for many years.  He is at his best in 1 on 1 isolation situations, and he has unlimited range.  But he's not selfish or has a big ego.  His frame is a bit small but he has many years to build on it.  He could be the next Durant.

8 hours ago, MemphisX said:

I know this is not gonna be popular but the more i watch Doncic, he might be the #1 pick.  I have to keep remembering he might be bigger than out starting PF.

Nice. We have company in the Luka bandwagon, @fanboyslim .

26 minutes ago, JWill4L said:

Nice. We have company in the Luka bandwagon, @fanboyslim .

I have to be honest, I still have to watch a lot of the other guys in order to compare. I wouldn't want to pass on a better player simply because I've watched him more. But in the end I'd be ecstatic if we drafted Luka.