Sign in to follow this  
MemphisX

2018 NBA Draft Thread

3 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

His lack of elite athleticism doesn't have to be a total stumbling block if we line him up at SF.     For example have Kobi at PG and Wayne at SG with JaM or Jarrell at PF then he can easily be hidden on defense if need be.   

I can see the value of his high-level of play in Euroleague - it reminds me of Rubio.    Rubio has never been an AllStar but he has proven to be a legit NBA player and starter.     Rubio held himself back by not developing himself more offensively if Doncic is willing to put in work to continue growing then he can reach a higher height than Rubio.   

If Porter, Ayton, or Bagley aren't available i think i would rather have Doncic than  Trae Young. 

The big difference with Rubio is he just coasted in his last two years in Europe with his contract issues, while Doncic is in a perfect situation (getting more minutes after Llull's season ending injury) to keep improving his game.

I found DraftExpress made a bunch of breakdown videos of him after the Euro championship. They're really good, focusing on fundamentals, not highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DraftExpress/search?query=doncic

I'll have to check the breakdowns on the other top prospects.

20 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

The big difference with Rubio is he just coasted in his last two years in Europe with his contract issues, while Doncic is in a perfect situation (getting more minutes after Llull's season ending injury) to keep improving his game.

I found DraftExpress made a bunch of breakdown videos of him after the Euro championship. They're really good, focusing on fundamentals, not highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/user/DraftExpress/search?query=doncic

I'll have to check the breakdowns on the other top prospects.

Much appreciated!

What i like about him the most is that, out of all the prospects, he has the highest chance to make an impact day 1.   Especially if Marc is still on the team because Doncic euro experience insures that he "plays the right way". :)     

He appears to have enough athleticism to at least be able to play solid team defense, which is all that i care about.   Doesn't look like a Rade situation at all.    I wouldn't pick him at 1 because Ayton and Bagley appear to have the higher ceiling; but if we pick 3-5 i think i am good with him.  

Opening night my starting lineup would be Mike + Wayne + Doncic + JaMyke + Gasol.   On paper that would be a playoff team. 

13 minutes ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Much appreciated!

What i like about him the most is that, out of all the prospects, he has the highest chance to make an impact day 1.   Especially if Marc is still on the team because Doncic euro experience insures that he "plays the right way". :)     

He appears to have enough athleticism to at least be able to play solid team defense, which is all that i care about.   Doesn't look like a Rade situation at all.    I wouldn't pick him at 1 because Ayton and Bagley appear to have the higher ceiling; but if we pick 3-5 i think i am good with him.  

Opening night my starting lineup would be Mike + Wayne + Doncic + JaMyke + Gasol.   On paper that would be a playoff team. 

Absolutely no pick should be made to fit in with Marc and Mike. If you think Ayton is the best you pick him and tell Marc to get on board or leave.

Besides, Im not sure if Mike can even be as good as Tyreke this year and who knows what you will get from a rookie. You are doing great if a 19 year old is as good as Jason Tatum.

Imo Marc and Mike will need a ton of good complimentary players around them to be a playoff team. Kinda like the Nuggets. 1 or 2 wont do it.

52 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Absolutely no pick should be made to fit in with Marc and Mike. If you think Ayton is the best you pick him and tell Marc to get on board or leave.

Besides, Im not sure if Mike can even be as good as Tyreke this year and who knows what you will get from a rookie. You are doing great if a 19 year old is as good as Jason Tatum.

Imo Marc and Mike will need a ton of good complimentary players around them to be a playoff team. Kinda like the Nuggets. 1 or 2 wont do it.

The biggest problem with the grizzlies is that they built an offense irrespective of their franchise player. Fizdale basically turned marc into a 3 point set shooter, which caused all sorts of problems. Plus Fizdale's defensive principles made us into the worst defense in the league.

That's kinda why we have to get rid of Bickerstaff because the guy literally has changed nothing.  

10 minutes ago, Kevin B Moses said:

The biggest problem with the grizzlies is that they built an offense irrespective of their franchise player. Fizdale basically turned marc into a 3 point set shooter, which caused all sorts of problems. Plus Fizdale's defensive principles made us into the worst defense in the league.

That's kinda why we have to get rid of Bickerstaff because the guy literally has changed nothing.  

I coulda sworn you were telling everyone how great this roster was at the beginning of the year.

1 hour ago, Dwash said:

Absolutely no pick should be made to fit in with Marc and Mike.

This. And this is regardless of how good you think Marc and Mike are or how long you want them to stay with the team.

8 hours ago, Memphis Maverick said:

The 4 players to average over 10 assists a game were 

Avery Johnson (did it for 2 seasons)
Mark Wade 
Anthony Manuel 
Nelson Haggerty 

Ahem, I don't see any Hall of Fame names there.

Did any of them even make it to rotation-player level?  

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Soon in KBM World: "Sorry, folks, there's no money for players - we're paying four head coaches."

1 hour ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Last night Pete and Brevin said that the Grizzlies have the best defense in the league in the second half of games.  That sounds like there is potential, just need to get them to do it for the entire game.  Unfortunately, along with that we have the lowest scoring offense in the second half(probably partly because or pace and partly due to offensive ineptitude).

Where would you have Marc play?  Honestly I don't see anything wrong with Marc taking a few threes as long as we don't get too carried away with it.  Marc is not a money guy in the post, but he can score some down there as long as we can pair him with a couple perimeter threats.  The best part of Marc's game is his shooting ability when he is open - the elbow, the key, the corners, behind the arc up top, he can hit from any of those spots if he has space.

Just now, TimBC said:

No. As a matter of fact two of the 4 were undrafted. 

And every single one of them were under 6ft tall and weighed no more than 160lbs. 

Why does that matter?

You have a kid avg 29pts and 10 assists. Not 11pts and 10 assists. 

The point is that it is very hard to do and hasn’t been done since the 90s.

and we all know Trae Young is going to get drafted. 

3 hours ago, Dwash said:

That's not what i was saying.  Let me clarify.    I don't think any pick should be selected based on fit with Mike and Marc.   I believe we should go with highest upside too, which is why i thought Bagley and Porter would be selected before Doncic.   I am just saying that if we do pick him i believe he will be a good player and and his pro experience should translate well and allow him to fit in with those two guys quicker.  

Yea i don't see how anyone can see what Tyreke is doing and think Mike would be doing better.  Really hate we won't be able to see how those two could've played together this season.  

2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

This. And this is regardless of how good you think Marc and Mike are or how long you want them to stay with the team.

I just don't see us picking Top 3 so I am bracing myself for another 4-5 pick.   I'd rather pick up Doncic than gamble on Trae.   Mike and marc comment was in regards to FO plan of keeping them and getting back to playoffs next season.   Personally, i'd prefer we trade Marc to get additional lottery pick but that is pure fantasy.

17 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I figure that in the Grizzlies' tradition we will draft Porter if he's available.  After all, isn't he injured?  Meets all qualifications.

Season ending injury with a potential of long term issues and recurrence? CW must be salivating.

18 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Season ending injury with a potential of long term issues and recurrence? CW must be salivating.

I really don’t think CW will make the pick

4 hours ago, smit-tay griz said:

I figure that in the Grizzlies' tradition we will draft Porter if he's available.  After all, isn't he injured?  Meets all qualifications.

He's one of the few players you take that risk on.  If LeBron had a back injury coming out of high school would you still draft him #1?

9 minutes ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

He's one of the few players you take that risk on.  If LeBron had a back injury coming out of high school would you still draft him #1?

Greg Oden says hi.

6 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Greg Oden says hi.

Joel Embiid also says hi.

But no, Oden had knee injuries and he was a heavy 7 footer.  Porter is a light 6'10" and he's been playing as the top prospect in the nation with that injury so we know he can still dominate with it.  

You stay away from back injuries. I’m 27 and about 5 years ago I injured my back lifting weights and I still feel it. Causes problems when I play ball sometimes.

It never goes away. I don’t care what anyone says. 

3 hours ago, memgrizzlies321 said:

Joel Embiid also says hi.

But no, Oden had knee injuries and he was a heavy 7 footer.  Porter is a light 6'10" and he's been playing as the top prospect in the nation with that injury so we know he can still dominate with it.  

It's not the injury, it's the surgery. He had part of a spinal disc removed, meaning for the rest of his career he'll have to deal with the bone against bone grinding. That's a major day to day problem for a regular person, and much worse for a very tall elite athlete.

That's not to say his career is over or anything. With luck and good physical management he may realize his full potential, but you can't dismiss the significant risk of persistent back problems. In my personal opinion, he is a high risk / high reward prospect, and you don't pick him if there are still other high ceiling players available.