Ejpj23

TA sign and trade with Clips?

redeye    0

is lbj wade and bosh in their prime coming to the house or just WHAT?

chipc3    0
1 hour ago, Stu Podaso said:

I'm beginning to think that Tony brings more baggage that I ever imagined. Hard to believe he doesn't have an offer from anybody.

He's received offers. He has not been interested in league minimum deals or one year deals. Tony's holding up the process of getting signed. 

Michael D    0
3 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

I'm not upset about Tony, I think it's time to move on. I'm not saying who they brought in is better, but I think he is a distraction when not starting. Just my opinion 

As much as I loved Tony Allen, the fact that he would repeatedly sabotage the team when taken out of the starting lineup made him expendable a long time ago.

We still got love for the Grindfather but I've been ready for him to leave or retire.

guillermo    0
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:49 PM, Jetfixer said:

We actually shouldn't, the problem is if the FO knows...........yea, I know that's what we all are worried about.

The fact that most people in Memphis are losing their minds over a 40 yo, and two 36 yo players leaving is crazy. Yes, we all want better replacements.

his style of play (iso defender)isn't as valuable as it once was and now he's old and not a mentor type personality.

father time posting TA up yelling bbq chicken. 

happens to all of us

Jetfixer    0
4 hours ago, guillermo said:

his style of play (iso defender)isn't as valuable as it once was and now he's old and not a mentor type personality.

father time posting TA up yelling bbq chicken. 

happens to all of us

I think it's still very valuable, i'd love to have TA of 3 or 4 years ago. IMO he is just getting old and he has missed a few playoff series that he very well might have helped us win, i'd like to know if a healthy TA could have slowed Kawhi Leonard a bit. If he comes back at a vet min I guess I wouldn't be too mad. I do think a non starting TA is a distraction.

Dwash    0

Iso basketball increases in the playoffs so I think its still valuable. But he isnt a starter and doesnt stay healthy. He is at the point where players start taking the min and he cant accept it. May even think there is a conspiracy against him

I'm not the only one who has made this point, but I'll repeat it again.  If TA could have developed the corner 3 like Bruce Bowen, he'd not still be on a roster, but probably making closer to ZBo money.

He may be the only vet in the league with at least 6 years experience to have recorded his 2 highest years of making 3 pointers while still a college player (22 and 30 total 3s his senior and junior year).  His 2 highest years in his 13 season NBA career is 18 and 15.  

Michael D    0
12 hours ago, Subliminal said:

TA always been a bum, good riddance 😡

Wouldn't go that far...but I understand.  He's expendable as hell.

TimBC    0
On 8/2/2017 at 6:01 AM, redeye said:

just somebody tell me what is this fizz plan just anyone?

Same as every other coach: do what you can with what you've got. Develop players if you can. Build schemes to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses, and get your assistants going on plans B, C and D for when other teams figure out how to attack and defend us.  Plus plans E, F and G for when a key player gets hurt.  Study your players so you know what to do when one starts to sulk or lose confidence (this will require 15 individual plans).  Build a team spirit and identity. Most of all, remember to put some money aside, because you won't be here all that long.  Oh, and as Casey Stengel said, "Keep the players that hate you away from the ones that haven't decided yet."   And remember that most of your assistants want to be head coaches too; try to make them want to do it somewhere else.

Also, find six nice suits and a good dry cleaner. You're going to sweat like a racehorse into your suit 82+ times a year, and who wants to put on a skanky suit? 

5 hours ago, TimBC said:

Same as every other coach: do what you can with what you've got. Develop players if you can. Build schemes to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses, and get your assistants going on plans B, C and D for when other teams figure out how to attack and defend us.  Plus plans E, F and G for when a key player gets hurt.  Study your players so you know what to do when one starts to sulk or lose confidence (this will require 15 individual plans).  Build a team spirit and identity. Most of all, remember to put some money aside, because you won't be here all that long.  Oh, and as Casey Stengel said, "Keep the players that hate you away from the ones that haven't decided yet."   And remember that most of your assistants want to be head coaches too; try to make them want to do it somewhere else.

Also, find six nice suits and a good dry cleaner. You're going to sweat like a racehorse into your suit 82+ times a year, and who wants to put on a skanky suit? 

Good stuff, Tim.

On 8/2/2017 at 10:15 PM, Grizzled Vet said:

I'm not the only one who has made this point, but I'll repeat it again.  If TA could have developed the corner 3 like Bruce Bowen, he'd not still be on a roster, but probably making closer to ZBo money.

He may be the only vet in the league with at least 6 years experience to have recorded his 2 highest years of making 3 pointers while still a college player (22 and 30 total 3s his senior and junior year).  His 2 highest years in his 13 season NBA career is 18 and 15.  

Even without it, he's this generation's BB.  Nice callback.  That guy was one of my fave players ever.

15 hours ago, The Truth is OUT said:

Even without it, he's this generation's BB.  Nice callback.  That guy was one of my fave players ever.

Bruce Bowen was never a game changing 3-point shooter.  Sure, he shot 39% for his career from the arc, but he only attempted 2.4 a game and made less than 1.  For their careers TA was the better scorer of the two.

In 2003, Bowen led the league in 3pt%.

Nobody said he was a game-changing 3 point shooter, but he was a (more than) 40% 3-pt shooter that had to be covered.   In his prime Spurs time, he was only making 1/game which is 5 times more than what Tony averaged per game at .2.  He was also doing that in an era where 2.5 3s a game made would be near the top of the league, not 4.5 like it is now.

I think on the court, Tony was one of the smartest cutters and slashers in the game.  When mentally engaged, he could get open near the basket, and Marc or ZBo frequently got him the ball for a look at a layup, and we all know how frequently he botched those.  In that way, he was better than Bowen.

But the main difference is Bowen was a 3pt threat, and Tony is a 3pt liability.