cdp

McLemore it is

53 minutes ago, Ndq0327 said:

Mainly cause everyone thinks he's a bust including the media in the town he just signed in. So I hope he comes in wanting to prove the critics wrong.

He's probably made well over 20 million being a scrub. Think about that for a minute. Just being in the nba he's set for life. He doesn't have to prove anyone wrong, the guy is paid.

grizzgolf    0
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:38 PM, jordisp3 said:

I'm not involved in this but just wanted to point out that I am of the opinion that Baldwin has a lot of growing up to do before he's worth a ****. I see him out all the time. In fact, 30 minutes after a Grizz playoff loss to the Spurs, he was out at The Bluff. The NBA seems more about glamour and fame for him than it does a job or a desire to be great. Not saying that he can't go out and have fun, of course he can. But, after a playoff loss? And as often as he does it? It's not a good sign in my mind. 

This......And watch his body language. He's out of Memphis first chance he gets. 

I could be 1000000% wrong but he looks like half of my co-workers who hate where we work lol. 

chipc3    0
15 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

He's probably made well over 20 million being a scrub. Think about that for a minute. Just being in the nba he's set for life. He doesn't have to prove anyone wrong, the guy is paid.

I agree the guy is paid and 'should' be set for life. Unfortunately most NBA players go broke within 5 years of leaving the league. 

Dwash    0
9 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree the guy is paid and 'should' be set for life. Unfortunately most NBA players go broke within 5 years of leaving the league. 

No they dont most of these guys who spend a few years in the league live very well. The media loves to spotlight the guys who blow it all and folks just latch on to this story like its the majority.

chipc3    0
18 minutes ago, Dwash said:

No they dont most of these guys who spend a few years in the league live very well. The media loves to spotlight the guys who blow it all and folks just latch on to this story like its the majority.

I don't know how much has changed but this was reported:

In 2009, Sports Illustrated did a study of former NFL and NBA players. This is what the study showed: After only 2 years of retirement, 78 percent of NFL players were either broke or struggling financially. Within 5 years of retirement, 60 percent of NBA players are broke.
Mar 6, 2015

Grizz&Grind    0
9 minutes ago, Dwash said:

15 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Yep.

Even if he plays his way out of the league, he can go on for another 10 years making money - G-League, overseas, etc.

I believe he is already vested in the pension plan too - think it's 3 full seasons.

https://www.soa.org/Files/Research/Projects/research-2015-nba-pension-stats.pdf

NBA also matches 401K.

NBA players are eligible to participate in the league’s pension plan, and become fully vested after three years of service in the NBA. Players can begin drawing from their pensions at age 50, but stand to benefit greatly if they hold off until they turn 62 years old. For players who choose to collect at 50 years old, the minimum yearly benefit is $19,160, and the maximum yearly benefit – for players with 10 or more years in the league – is $60,000 per year. If a player waits until his 62nd birthday to collect, their minimum yearly benefit would be $60,000 and their maximum yearly benefit would be $200,000.

The NBA also has an elective 401(k) available to players with a employer matching program that allows the league’s contributions to significantly exceed player contributions.

chipc3    0

I agree players can make a ton of money in the NBA. I don't believe anyone is doubting that. 

However, players still go broke. How? They sell their pension plans (yes this is legal). The pension plan in retirement is simply an annuity and players can sell the future cash flow from that annuity for a discount on the current value of those future fund flows. It happens all the time. 401(k) accounts give loans on their values with no tax consequence up to 50% and there is a maximum amount you can contribute to a 401(k) of around $18,000 no matter what your income is during the year. The Government wants their money up front and every dollar into a retirement account is a dollar that government won't be able to tax until it is withdrawn (likely at a lower tax rate too). 

If players act reasonably with their income and put away savings to finance their life after basketball then there is no reason they should go broke but players often act irrationally with their money while playing. Buying huge homes, expensive cars, fancy jewelry for their wives (and others) eat away at their savings. There are other expenses as well such as children in and out of wedlock that can be prohibitively expensive for a much longer time than the player's career. 

Should this happen? No. Does it happen? All too often.  

Grizz&Grind    0
2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I agree players can make a ton of money in the NBA. I don't believe anyone is doubting that. 

However, players still go broke. How? They sell their pension plans (yes this is legal). The pension plan in retirement is simply an annuity and players can sell the future cash flow from that annuity for a discount on the current value of those future fund flows. It happens all the time. 401(k) accounts give loans on their values with no tax consequence up to 50% and there is a maximum amount you can contribute to a 401(k) of around $18,000 no matter what your income is during the year. The Government wants their money up front and every dollar into a retirement account is a dollar that government won't be able to tax until it is withdrawn (likely at a lower tax rate too). 

If players act reasonably with their income and put away savings to finance their life after basketball then there is no reason they should go broke but players often act irrationally with their money while playing. Buying huge homes, expensive cars, fancy jewelry for their wives (and others) eat away at their savings. There are other expenses as well such as children in and out of wedlock that can be prohibitively expensive for a much longer time than the player's career. 

Should this happen? No. Does it happen? All too often.  

Yep - I watched the show on ESPN about it.

Somehow I have a hard time feeling sorry for someone who got to spend millions of dollars and live the NBA lifestyle of women and clubs and travel, etc.

At worst, they do what the rest of of us have to do - get a student loan and go back to school, get a degree and get a job. Unless they are absolute idiots, most can get a job in coaching or broadcasting anyway.

Dwash    0
43 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I don't know how much has changed but this was reported:

Well I would need to see their sample of players cause Im not really counting the low level guys (eg. Antonio Burks) who just played a year or two in the league at minimum and I want to know if they are.

chipc3    0
15 minutes ago, Dwash said:

Well I would need to see their sample of players cause Im not really counting the low level guys (eg. Antonio Burks) who just played a year or two in the league at minimum and I want to know if they are.

I'm not asking you to change what you want to believe. I am just stating that a study said 60% of NBA players are broke within 5 years of retirement. 

tangogriz    0

I don't think this has been posted.

Ndq0327    0
3 hours ago, tangogriz said:

I was just gonna post this. I truly think he knows he has to prove himself and he's gonna do his best to quiet the critics

8 hours ago, tangogriz said:

4 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

I was just gonna post this. I truly think he knows he has to prove himself and he's gonna do his best to quiet the critics

That's nice and all but there's a big difference between knowing and actually doing. Hate to sound heartless cause it's all emotional and what not, but a lot of people say words. You have to put those words into action. He hasn't yet but I really hope he can for the Grizz sake. I'm sure he's more than happy for a new start.

Ndq0327    0
1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

That's nice and all but there's a big difference between knowing and actually doing. Hate to sound heartless cause it's all emotional and what not, but a lot of people say words. You have to put those words into action. He hasn't yet but I really hope he can for the Grizz sake. I'm sure he's more than happy for a new start.

Well **** give the dude the benefit of the  doubt....He's here now and so is tyreke for the life of me I can't understand why we can't highlight the positives of our new additions instead of throwing out all the negatives and huffing and puffing about the end of an era.

5 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

Well **** give the dude the benefit of the  doubt....He's here now and so is tyreke for the life of me I can't understand why we can't highlight the positives of our new additions instead of throwing out all the negatives and huffing and puffing about the end of an era.

Amen!   Preach!

TimBC    0
On 7/5/2017 at 0:25 PM, godrick15 said:

BM stands for bowel movement. 

Does your mom know you're using the computer?

6 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

That's the way I feel when people bellyache about mike asnd marc. It doesnt do any good though.

10 hours ago, Ndq0327 said:

LOL, huh? I'm assuming that's a general post and not towards me. I haven't said anything negative about Mclemore other than he's been a bust for 4 years which he has been. It's the truth. I have also said that I hope that a change of scenery and playing with Conley will benefit him andI want him to do well because it will help the Grizz. I have serious doubts based on his past history, that's all. With Tyreke, I'm pretty confident in what we will get out of him based on his 8 years in the NBA. With Mclemore, I think people are hoping we will get something different than his 4 years in the NBA. I'm rooting for the guy but I am also a realist. I just want him to put his words into action, that's all. If he does, it will benefit the Grizz and I will be happy but I do have legit concerns based on his previous performance. 

Ndq0327    0
8 hours ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

LOL, huh? I'm assuming that's a general post and not towards me. I haven't said anything negative about Mclemore other than he's been a bust for 4 years which he has been. It's the truth. I have also said that I hope that a change of scenery and playing with Conley will benefit him andI want him to do well because it will help the Grizz. I have serious doubts based on his past history, that's all. With Tyreke, I'm pretty confident in what we will get out of him based on his 8 years in the NBA. With Mclemore, I think people are hoping we will get something different than his 4 years in the NBA. I'm rooting for the guy but I am also a realist. I just want him to put his words into action, that's all. If he does, it will benefit the Grizz and I will be happy but I do have legit concerns based on his previous performance. 

Yea it was a general post cause I was reading a tweet about both of them and it only had negative statistics which was quite annoying.