fanboyslim

2017-18 team salary

So assuming we will use part or all of the MLE to sign Rade, how much money do we still have to spend on Jam and/or another FA? I think we need two more FA signings, one a PF (Jam or FA) and one a veteran PG.

12 minutes ago, Grizball said:

So assuming we will use part or all of the MLE to sign Rade, how much money do we still have to spend on Jam and/or another FA? I think we need two more FA signings, one a PF (Jam or FA) and one a veteran PG.

We can pay JaM all we want up to the max (of course in practice we wouldn't cross the tax line). Other than that we only have the BAE and remaining MLE, plus minimum contracts.

Not signing JaM wouldn't allow us to spend more money on anyone else since we're already capped out after signing Selden and McLemore.

However with the possibility of S&Ts for TA and JaM there are many more options.

28 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

It better be a done deal since he has opted out from his Leks contract.

Cool, but no one knows what he will cost, I do see you expect MLE money, but he will cost more than most 2nd rounders, right?

4 hours ago, Jetfixer said:

Cool, but no one knows what he will cost, I do see you expect MLE money, but he will cost more than most 2nd rounders, right?

I really don't think he'd cross over for $810k, which is the rookie minimum. Mi expectation was BAE money, but of course if he can fit in the MLE with McLemore the smart move is not to waste the BAE.

10 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Updated table with ZBo and VC's cap holds removed. I kept TA's because of the S&T possibility.

salary060717.jpg.6aa44e48c1d53510b0203ffb2dc5f43f.jpg

We're already below the tax line (or rather, the apron), which means we can now use the rest of the MLE ($3.21M) and the BAE ($3.29M). At this point I would save the BAE for next season, plenty of money in the MLE to sign Rade.

This also gives us more flexibility in possible trades as we can absorb more incoming salary now.

Thank you so much for keeping this up to date! 

On 7/3/2017 at 3:33 PM, Father Pat said:

Add Ennis to the expiring list, but your point is still valid. He only makes 3 mil.

Thanks.  

And the more I look at the salaries now being signed, I'm feeling OK if JaM gets a big offer and the FO lets him walk.

If Tyreke takes the 1 year/$3.3 deal, I'm fine with thinking that Speights, Jonas Jerebko, Dante Cunningham and others can replace JaM at a much smaller amount (assuming JaM does get a big offer, which really may not happen).

JaMychal's value is plummeting by the minutes. 

5 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

JaMychal's value is plummeting by the minutes. 

Starting to look like 1 year for the QO is in the realm of possibilities.

Green isn't worth a big contract...He would be better off signing the QO and proving this coming season that he is worth 10+ mil per season...Right now he is not worth that.

Updated with Tyreke's contract ($3.3M is the BAE amount)

Fltih8q.jpg

So, assuming TA leaves and we don't get any contracts back, we have about $13M to spend on JaM, Rabb, Brooks and Zagorac before hitting the tax line but we need to get rid of two players through trades or waivers. I'm assuming Simmons won't make the roster unless there are official indications otherwise.

could give JaM a 3 year 21 million. that would still leave us with enough cap to spend on Rabb, Brooks, or Zagorac before hitting the tax line...7 mil a year is about the ceiling for JaM IMO

5 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Updated with Tyreke's contract ($3.3M is the BAE amount)

salary070717.thumb.jpg.ca2f01f542eea543f1b22ce592748e58.jpg

So, assuming TA leaves and we don't get any contracts back, we have about $13M to spend on JaM, Rabb, Brooks and Zagorac before hitting the tax line but we need to get rid of two players through trades or waivers. I'm assuming Simmons won't make the roster unless there are official indications otherwise.

2 hours ago, JWill4L said:

That's funny because Selden's new contract is not even reflected yet in BBI's salary breakdown. That's what I meant when I said they're not the fastest updating their site. :rolleyes:

0r9405t.jpg

Meanwhile Spotrac still reports it as non guaranteed.

eUA25Tg.jpg

Anyway I trust Basketball Insider (and Eric Pincus in particular) more, I assume if he tweeted about it it's because he's got confirmation from someone in the Grizzlies' FO. But I'll wait a bit for it to be confirmed before updating the table.

espn_generic_m.jpg&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Bobby MarksESPN 

The Grizzlies hard capped when they signed Ben McLemore to a $5.2M contract now add Tyreke Evans to the $3.3M bi-annual execution. Memphis now has $102.6M in salary and still have $3.2M remaining of the mid-level exception. Memphis has the flexibility to remain below the $119M tax and $125M hard cap unless restricted free agent JaMychal Green receives a lucrative offer sheet. Memphis will not have the bi-annual exception next year.

Ok, Spotrac updated the information on Selden's contract on their site today, so it's official. I removed Kobi Simmons since his contract is not relevant unless he makes into the final roster, and right now that looks very unlikely. I also moved JaM's QO money to the cap hold section since it's not actual salary unless he signs the QO.

yOBYx1p.jpg

To summarize:

- The most we can spend on Rabb, Brooks and Rade is $4.85M, the sum of two minimum contracts and the remainder of the MLE.

- Assuming we spend all that money on the rookies and no other salary goes out, we could pay JaM as much as $11.8M without going into tax territory.

On 7/8/2017 at 2:22 PM, fanboyslim said:

Ok, Spotrac updated the information on Selden's contract on their site today, so it's official. I removed Kobi Simmons since his contract is not relevant unless he makes into the final roster, and right now that looks very unlikely. I also moved JaM's QO money to the cap hold section since it's not actual salary unless he signs the QO.

yOBYx1p.jpg

To summarize:

- The most we can spend on Rabb, Brooks and Rade is $4.85M, the sum of two minimum contracts and the remainder of the MLE.

- Assuming we spend all that money on the rookies and no other salary goes out, we could pay JaM as much as $11.8M without going into tax territory.

Given that teams like to make deals to RFA as unmatchable as possible, I would think any team interested in JaM would know that number that would put the Grizz in the tax territory, and would do a $12mm/year offer if they wanted him.

But as of now, that hasn't happened.  So I don't think he's getting that special of a deal from anyone.

I'm waiting for some more information on Rade's contract. He has signed for 3 years, with the 3rd year a team option, and $2.3M guaranteed (so to be spread between his first two years). Apparently his contract includes a signing bonus which complicates finding out how much he'll earn each year (annual raises only apply to base salary, not bonuses). In any event it's going to be around $1M, meaning we haven't used the entire MLE yet.

It's a really cheap contract, barely over the minimum.

Rade Zagorac will be paid $950k his first year, the veteran minimum the other two. The third year is a team option. The contract is $2.3M guaranteed, so if the veteran minimum for 2018-19 is less than $1.35M we will carry the remainder in our 2019-20 salary even if we decline the option.

So for all intents and purposes he's on a multi year minimum contract. I'm surprised he agreed to come over for so little money, but I'm not complaining, good move by the FO.

Are you sure the Apron this year is 123,266,000$? Larry Coon has it at 125,266,000$. Dunno if he has the correct info, though.

20 minutes ago, JWill4L said:

Are you sure the Apron this year is 123,266,000$? Larry Coon has it at 125,266,000$. Dunno if he has the correct info, though.

When in doubt, believe Larry Coon, but the apron is by definition $4M over the tax line

Edit: Aaaaah, the new CBA changed it for this season, so it's $6M over the tax line for 2017-18. It will also change in the following seasons. As usual Larry Coon was right. I'll update when I have a chance with this 

Updated with Rade's contract

kPIgoTG.jpg

Some comments:

- I've seen BMac's salary listed as $5.2M. That makes sense since the previous figure of $5.192M was the mini-MLE limit which didn't make sense once ZBo and VC's cap holds were removed.

- We still have $2.56M from the MLE that could be used to sign a free agent.

- Assuming no other moves, we could offer JaM as much as $16.6M without hitting the tax line.

I don't expect any more moves until JaM's situation clarifies. If he comes back, we'll be out of roster space and then I suppose Rabb and Brooks will be signed to two way contracts. But I don't really know the FO's plan for Rabb and Brooks, and someone else might also be cut, traded or hired with the remaining MLE.

Update after Mario's signing

8vQaeT7.jpg

Bear in mind that there are no public details about Mario's contract. Most analysts assume he got a minimum contract so I have used that in my calculations. In any event if not a minimum contract he could only be paid what's left of the MLE, which is worth only a few more dollars than Mario's minimum salary. More importantly, nobody knows the terms of Mario's partial guarantee.

With all this, we still have $13.6M of room to fit JaM's salary, although it looks less and less likely that he's going to command that much.

I know everyone loves them some Mike Conley around these parts, but if the Grizzlies aren't offering Conley for Kyrie Irving on the phone right now to Cleveland they should all be fired.