Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies opponents - 2017 Free agents and trades

srmjr23    0
22 minutes ago, cdp said:

Rose to the Cavs for the minimum. Wowww if that's all it would've taken to get him then we should've gone for him over Tyreke. ‎

It's not as simple as just throwing money at them. He could have gone to any team int he NBA for that money. He chose Cleveland for a chance to win.

22 minutes ago, cdp said:

Rose to the Cavs for the minimum. Wowww if that's all it would've taken to get him then we should've gone for him over Tyreke. ‎

Maybe we did make an offer and he said no?

Maybe he took the minimum to get on a team that won a championship and was in the final last year?

fanboyslim    0
10 hours ago, cdp said:

I doubt he would have come here for the minimum.

The bigger story to me is that 2 of the best Tigers (at least in this millennium) who are still in their prime just signed deals for the minimum and BAE. 

Drose is getting paid 1/9th what kyrie was getting.  

I don't think drose is a good fit with lebron and Kevin love.  I bet this doesn't go well for all involved. 

Grizz&Grind    0
2 hours ago, tmoneyinmphs said:

Drose is getting paid 1/9th what kyrie was getting.  

I don't think drose is a good fit with lebron and Kevin love.  I bet this doesn't go well for all involved. 

They may not be done dealing...didn't they just promote that dude to GM?

cdp    0
14 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

It's not as simple as just throwing money at them. He could have gone to any team int he NBA for that money. He chose Cleveland for a chance to win.

14 hours ago, BigHunkALove said:

Maybe we did make an offer and he said no?

Maybe he took the minimum to get on a team that won a championship and was in the final last year?

4 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

I doubt he would have come here for the minimum.

I know just kinda surprisin seein him sign for that little. Makes you wonder if FO could've done somethin to convince him to sign.

Father Pat    0

Blazers traded Allen Crabbe (19.3 mil next season) to the Nets for Andrew Nicholson (6.3 mil next season). How do they get away with not matching salaries?

fanboyslim    0
1 hour ago, Father Pat said:

Blazers traded Allen Crabbe (19.3 mil next season) to the Nets for Andrew Nicholson (6.3 mil next season). How do they get away with not matching salaries?

Brooklyn had enough room under the cap to absorb the difference between Crabbe and Nicholson's salary. Portland has now a TPE worth $13M, but since this was a salary dump to get under the tax I doubt they'll ever use it.

srmjr23    0
7 minutes ago, fanboyslim said:

Brooklyn had enough room under the cap to absorb the difference between Crabbe and Nicholson's salary. Portland has now a TPE worth $13M, but since this was a salary dump to get under the tax I doubt they'll ever use it.

+1 . Apparently they saved 20m+ in luxury tax. They're not signing Jam. They're interested in Melo and the like. I suspect they use the TPE sometime next year or by the deadline.

fanboyslim    0
6 minutes ago, srmjr23 said:

+1 . Apparently they saved 20m+ in luxury tax. They're not signing Jam. They're interested in Melo and the like. I suspect they use the TPE sometime next year or by the deadline.

Well, to be precise they would have been $10M+ over the tax line and would have had to pay that much in tax, but yeah, they saved $20M+ in total.

They can't fit Melo in the TPE (can't be combined with other players), and I don't think they would want to get back into the tax this season, but they can use the TPE to trade for one or more players next offseason. All in all a great move by Portland.

Brooklyn on the other hand probably did to get to the minimum salary threshold but got Crabbe for three years, so I suppose they consider him a major bulding block for the future. Meh. In any event, there goes another possible destination for JaM.

EDIT: Seriously, looking at Brooklyn's roster makes you want to gouge you eyes.

srmjr23    0

My suspicion about why it has taken so long on Jam/Tony, is that we're actively involved in trying to be a part of these inevitable trades that will happen with Houston/Cleveland/NYC etc. In recent years Wallace has been pretty savvy in situations where teams need to get rid of salary or need an extra team to facilitate a trade. We got Chalmers and Ennis for Beno/Stokes, for example. It would not surprise me at all if we're mentioned in trades this week. Otherwise we might be waiting as long as the regular season, I'd guess. Tristan Thompson, a few seasons ago, held out for his 80m contract. Obviously he had the leverage in that situation, but sometimes these hold outs get results. Best case scenario is we sign Jam to a multi year deal, 4 years 32-40m, IMO. I don't think we want him to take the QO. It's best to lock him up now if we can get him cheap. 

edit: words