Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies opponents - 2017 Free agents and trades

Subliminal    0
1 hour ago, chipc3 said:

I wasn't defending his position. Daniels is definitely not the best Grizzlies shooter of all time. Mike Miller and Damien Stoudamire immediately come to mind as being superior. 

It would be interesting to see statistically who is is/was the best shooter in franchise history. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Wesley Person?

GF#1    0
3 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

Conley for Kyrie? Lol

Love Conley, but where do I sign?

Would do that deal so fast. Throw in Chris Wallace and a couple of Omaha steaks.

Subliminal    0
1 minute ago, Subliminal said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess Wesley Person?

Nah it was Miller at .420, but Person close behind in 2nd at .405

Father Pat    0

@wojespn 10m10 minutes ago 

After extended talks, the hiring of Koby Altman as Cleveland's new GM is imminent, league sources tell ESPN. Altman was Cavs' assistant GM.

His first day on the job will be kissing up to Kyrie, or getting on the phone with the Knicks.

3 hours ago, Father Pat said:

Daniels is our most explosive shooter? That's just nuts. He hits open 3's and that's it. He totally sucks inside the arc. He is so horrific inside the arc it negates his .389 3pt %, which is good, but far from explosive (.031 above league average). He is so bad at the rim, he isn't just below the league average there, he is HALF of the league average there. He makes Tony Allen look like an elite finisher. If his defender closes him out, he is totally and utterly useless. 

You are probably right about him not getting traded, for the simple fact that no team will want to pay his 3+ mil salary.

How many shooters do we have that can put up 20 points in a quarter?  Get GTF to tell you when he thinks Ennis, Parsons and McLemore will do it.  I'm not sure if all three of them combined could do it.  I'm not saying that Daniels is the highest percentage shooter, or even the best overall shooter, or best scorer,  but he can get threes off faster, and from deeper than anyone on the roster.  It might be the only skill he has, but he is very good at it when he gets going.  That kind of player coming off the bench can be a huge asset.

5 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

How many shooters do we have that can put up 20 points in a quarter?  Get GTF to tell you when he thinks Ennis, Parsons and McLemore will do it.  I'm not sure if all three of them combined could do it.  I'm not saying that Daniels is the highest percentage shooter, or even the best overall shooter, or best scorer,  but he can get threes off faster, and from deeper than anyone on the roster.  It might be the only skill he has, but he is very good at it when he gets going.  That kind of player coming off the bench can be a huge asset.

Now daniels is better than mike I guess and marc, who has put up 38 points several times last season.

Hyperbole much?

Father Pat    0
20 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

He won't be putting up 20 points in a quarter for the Grizzlies. Of his 10 best scoring games last season, 8 of those were before Jan. 1st, meaning most teams were still playing the Grizzlies as they did in the past and had not yet adjusted their defense to the Grizzlies new offense. League average at the rim is .631%. Daniels was .318% at the rim and .336% in 2 pt range. That is horrific shooting inside the arc and it also makes him a very easy assignment on defense. 

Daniels was .389% from 3pt range which is good as the league average was .358%. Do you honestly believe that he will be left open enough to be as effective as he was at the beginning of last season? Even though the team was much better at spreading the floor last season, they were last in the league at the rim and 2pt %. They didn't make teams pay for spreading the floor. Other teams used to want to make the Grizzlies beat them from outside, now they will want to make them try and beat them in the paint.

56 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/24/5343642/chandler-parsons-three-pointers-nba-record-rockets

you do realize Parsons dropped ten 3s in a HALF against us when he was a rocket, right.   Pretty sure we will do just fine with 6'10 Parsons firing those 3s instead of 6'4 TD.  Don't get me wrong if CW understood roster limits I would be cool with keeping TD.   But losing him doesn't mean we are suddenly a team without outside shooting.

The sky is falling over at realcavsfans.com. A few of them mentioned the Grizz, but wanted Marc AND Conley loL

edit: one guy said they should only trade with NY if they get Melo, Porzingis, and Bledsoe :lol:

Father Pat    0
9 minutes ago, The Stro Show said:

The sky is falling over at realcavsfans.com. A few of them mentioned the Grizz, but wanted Marc AND Conley loL

edit: one guy said they should only trade with NY if they get Melo, Porzingis, and Bledsoe :lol:

I saw that too. I googled to see if Kyrie had a no trade clause after reading that he gave the Cav's a list of 4 teams that he would play for and it brought me to that site. He does not have a no trade clause. The Cav's are ticked that the whole thing was leaked because they now have lost trade leverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cav's throw his little list away and send him to the worst team willing to give up a decent player.

2 hours ago, Kevin B Moses said:

Now daniels is better than mike I guess and marc, who has put up 38 points several times last season.

Hyperbole much?

I never said he was better than either of our two best remaining players, obviously he is not.  Only you could get that out of what I wrote.

Great!  Marc put up thirty-eight, but I was speaking about the explosive shooting ability to score over 20 in a quarter.  I don't believe Marc has done that, nor Mike.  I don't care if you think so or not, Daniels has explosive shooting ability, a highly sought skill in the league, not least of all by the Grizzlies.  Maybe he doesn't have much else, but he could still be useful, and it's the coach's responsibility to figure out how to use him effectively.

Oh, and uhh, you do know that "hyperbole" is not a verb, don't you?

Allen    0
3 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I never said he was better than either of our two best remaining players, obviously he is not.  Only you could get that out of what I wrote.

Great!  Marc put up thirty-eight, but I was speaking about the explosive shooting ability to score over 20 in a quarter.  I don't believe Marc has done that, nor Mike.  I don't care if you think so or not, Daniels has explosive shooting ability, a highly sought skill in the league, not least of all by the Grizzlies.  Maybe he doesn't have much else, but he could still be useful, and it's the coach's responsibility to figure out how to use him effectively.

Oh, and uhh, you do know that "hyperbole" is not a verb, don't you?

Gasol exploded in a quarter several times last year

2 hours ago, Father Pat said:

He won't be putting up 20 points in a quarter for the Grizzlies. Of his 10 best scoring games last season, 8 of those were before Jan. 1st, meaning most teams were still playing the Grizzlies as they did in the past and had not yet adjusted their defense to the Grizzlies new offense. League average at the rim is .631%. Daniels was .318% at the rim and .336% in 2 pt range. That is horrific shooting inside the arc and it also makes him a very easy assignment on defense. 

Daniels was .389% from 3pt range which is good as the league average was .358%. Do you honestly believe that he will be left open enough to be as effective as he was at the beginning of last season? Even though the team was much better at spreading the floor last season, they were last in the league at the rim and 2pt %. They didn't make teams pay for spreading the floor. Other teams used to want to make the Grizzlies beat them from outside, now they will want to make them try and beat them in the paint.

Yeah, he didn't do well inside the arc.  He needs work.  So what you are saying is that we need to ditch our 4th best point per minute player since we already lost our 2nd because all is well with the roster?  Fizzdale needs to create looks for him that are difficult to defend.  At least they will have to expend energy to shadow him which could lead to looks for others.

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

Gasol exploded in a quarter several times last year

From what I've read on these boards I think you mean imploded, don't you?;)

2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/1/24/5343642/chandler-parsons-three-pointers-nba-record-rockets

you do realize Parsons dropped ten 3s in a HALF against us when he was a rocket, right.   Pretty sure we will do just fine with 6'10 Parsons firing those 3s instead of 6'4 TD.  Don't get me wrong if CW understood roster limits I would be cool with keeping TD.   But losing him doesn't mean we are suddenly a team without outside shooting.

Yeah, okay.  Let me know if he can even get quality game minutes this coming season.

Father Pat    0
4 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Yeah, he didn't do well inside the arc.  He needs work.  So what you are saying is that we need to ditch our 4th best point per minute player since we already lost our 2nd because all is well with the roster?  Fizzdale needs to create looks for him that are difficult to defend.  At least they will have to expend energy to shadow him which could lead to looks for others.

Don't be going all KBM on me here. I didn't say ditch him, but I don't think he is one of the teams best shooters just because he can hit open 3's and I am saying he will not be as effective as he was last season. Honestly, I could care less what his points per minute were because it's obviously misleading. He is good at hitting open 3's. That's it. He's good at nothing else. The opponents ball boy could figure out how to shut him down. I have always felt that the team needed and still needs a guy like that for certain game situations though. He's 26 so I don't see him changing his game, but there are often late game situations when he can make a positive difference because of his 3pt ability.

Grizball    0
7 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

Mike & Marc for Irving, Love and Shumpert. Salaries match and they get rid of Shumpert's contract. The teams on Irving's wish list don't have much to offer. And if LBJ can somehow get Melo to join him, they would have a better team than last year. Anyways, I hope Pera would seriously consider making Cleveland an offer to get Irving here. He is one of the very few franchise players we can build this team around. Mike is going to be 30 this year while Irving is still just 25. A package of Mike & Marc for Irving and other players (hopefully Love included as well) would be good for both teams.

17 hours ago, The Stro Show said:

That just goes to show you how irrational and unrealistic most fans are across sports. Everything is about their team and every trade benefits their team while other teams pick up scraps so that their favorite team can get better. That's rarely how it works and the Cavs are in a bad situation with Irving now with this going public. They weren't going to get equal value to begin with but now it will be tons of lowball offers because everyone knows Irving wants out. 

40 minutes ago, Dwash said:

He is better than Baldwin.

Possibly but he's also 4-5 inches shorter and a good 40 pounds lighter. Size matters in the NBA. I do think he could help this team more than Baldwin and obviously if IT can find a way in the NBA, I think Smith could as well.

20 hours ago, Father Pat said:

@wojespn 10m10 minutes ago 

After extended talks, the hiring of Koby Altman as Cleveland's new GM is imminent, league sources tell ESPN. Altman was Cavs' assistant GM.

His first day on the job will be kissing up to Kyrie, or getting on the phone with the Knicks.

If I were the Cavs, I would work with the Knicks to do a sign and trade with Derrick Rose. A 1 year contract matching Irving's. That way, you know you would at least get something. They will get a lot of low ball offers for Irving. they will not get Carmelo for Irving and I have no idea how his $18.8 mil will fit on the Spurs unless they trade LA. I guess they could trade a broken down Tony Parker but a) why would the Cavs do that and b ) don't see the Spurs dumping Parker like that. 

I would just ask the Knicks to offer DRose a 1 year contract match Irving's salary.

srmjr23    0
1 hour ago, Notorious O.D.K. said:

If I were the Cavs, I would work with the Knicks to do a sign and trade with Derrick Rose. A 1 year contract matching Irving's. That way, you know you would at least get something. They will get a lot of low ball offers for Irving. they will not get Carmelo for Irving and I have no idea how his $18.8 mil will fit on the Spurs unless they trade LA. I guess they could trade a broken down Tony Parker but a) why would the Cavs do that and b ) don't see the Spurs dumping Parker like that. 

I would just ask the Knicks to offer DRose a 1 year contract match Irving's salary.

Why wouldn't they get Carmelo for Irving? Knicks would snap that off.