Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies opponents - 2017 Free agents and trades

fanboyslim    0
2 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Why does everyone want to trade our best shooter all the time?

Because how else could we complain about not having shooters?

Michael D    0
2 hours ago, fanboyslim said:

Because how else could we complain about not having shooters?

:lol:

chipc3    0
9 hours ago, Once_a_hater said:

I hope we could move packages of Daniels + Martin (?) and Baldwin + Ennis + Wright (?), maybe work S&T with Philly and Nets, there are some good options... Mcgee, Diaw, Cunnigham and Speights.

MC/Chalmers/Harrison 

Mclemore/Selden/Brooks 

Parsons/Tyreke/Zagorac

Jam/Dante/Rabb

Gasol/Speights/Davis

Brooks and Rabb two way players.

You can't have Rabb and Brooks as two way players and on the 15 man roster. The Sign and Trade idea isn't as feasible as it used to be as this article points out. Chalmers as the back up PG is a big risk since he hasn't played professionally in a year and a half and is coming off an injury that never returns the player to his original self. 

On the positive side, Speights returning to Memphis - where he really started his career - would be a nice pickup. The problem is the Grizzlies current contract situation requires them to free up roster spots before making a trade. That could be problematic.   

16 hours ago, Dwash said:

Much like grit and grind as a whole its never good when your gm's best moves came off shots in the dark, totally unplanned.

Yep because Tillery has stated multiple times that Zbo trade was due to Heisley.   Early on CW was trying to trade Conley for Ramon Sessions and Joe Alexander.   

Like you said it was all completely unplanned and he has been trying to replicate it unsuccessfully his moves ever since. 

7 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

Because he is probably the only tradeable asset we have outside of Conley and Gasol.   Our genius of a GM can't count so we are forced to move guys.   Daniels is the most likely candidate.  

Allen    0
2 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Because he is probably the only tradeable asset we have outside of Conley and Gasol.   Our genius of a GM can't count so we are forced to move guys.   Daniels is the most likely candidate.  

I'm pretty sure Wallace knows how many guys are on the roster

The numbers will work out

3 hours ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

I'd bet Daniels doesn't get traded, at least not before the season starts, maybe at the deadline.  After all these years of no shooters and listening to the critics I don't see Wallace trading our most explosive shooter after only one season.

I know Daniels is no defensive guy, but it's funny how so many folks on the boards stated that his defense was surprisingly better than anticipated until the time that Patty Mills jacked a few in his eye in the playoffs.  Now suddenly he's a total bum.  What a turnaround...

49 minutes ago, Allen said:

I'm pretty sure Wallace knows how many guys are on the roster

The numbers will work out

He probably does know how many guys are on the roster - i'm just not sure he knew how many can on the roster.  :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

I'd bet Daniels doesn't get traded, at least not before the season starts, maybe at the deadline.  After all these years of no shooters and listening to the critics I don't see Wallace trading our most explosive shooter after only one season.

I know Daniels is no defensive guy, but it's funny how so many folks on the boards stated that his defense was surprisingly better than anticipated until the time that Patty Mills jacked a few in his eye in the playoffs.  Now suddenly he's a total bum.  What a turnaround...

Problem is we Have to pull a trade just to get the roster down to 15.    So which guys do you propose we trade or waive?  

Father Pat    0
11 hours ago, srmjr23 said:

And just who do you think is the teams best shooter?

Father Pat    0
27 minutes ago, smit-tay griz said:

Daniels is our most explosive shooter? That's just nuts. He hits open 3's and that's it. He totally sucks inside the arc. He is so horrific inside the arc it negates his .389 3pt %, which is good, but far from explosive (.031 above league average). He is so bad at the rim, he isn't just below the league average there, he is HALF of the league average there. He makes Tony Allen look like an elite finisher. If his defender closes him out, he is totally and utterly useless. 

You are probably right about him not getting traded, for the simple fact that no team will want to pay his 3+ mil salary.

chipc3    0
5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Daniels is our most explosive shooter? That's just nuts. He hits open 3's and that's it. He totally sucks inside the arc. He is so horrific inside the arc it negates his .389 3pt %, which is good, but far from explosive (.031 above league average). He is so bad at the rim, he isn't just below the league average there, he is HALF of the league average there. He makes Tony Allen look like an elite finisher. If his defender closes him out, he is totally and utterly useless. 

You are probably right about him not getting traded, for the simple fact that no team will want to pay his 3+ mil salary.

While I agree 100% on the stats you post showing how Daniels ranks against the rest of the league and in your comments about his skill set, who on the team is a better shooter? You can be slightly above average for the league and still be the best shooter on your team can't you? 

Father Pat    0
1 minute ago, chipc3 said:

While I agree 100% on the stats you post showing how Daniels ranks against the rest of the league and in your comments about his skill set, who on the team is a better shooter? You can be slightly above average for the league and still be the best shooter on your team can't you? 

Gasol is the teams best shooter, Conley is second. He is the only Grizzly that hits his shots at the rim and from 3pt range above the league average. In todays NBA, those are the 2 most important shots. Conley hit his 3's at a much better rate than Daniels and also hits them off the dribble. Why would people think Daniels is the teams best shooter when both Gasol and Conley were better at what Daniels was best at, and neither were horrific from the rest of the court like Daniels was?

chipc3    0
10 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Gasol is the teams best shooter, Conley is second. He is the only Grizzly that hits his shots at the rim and from 3pt range above the league average. In todays NBA, those are the 2 most important shots. Conley hit his 3's at a much better rate than Daniels and also hits them off the dribble. Why would people think Daniels is the teams best shooter when both Gasol and Conley were better at what Daniels was best at, and neither were horrific from the rest of the court like Daniels was?

I can understand your logic. I just believe you and srmjr are using different quantifiers for your assessment. 

Father Pat    0
2 minutes ago, chipc3 said:

I can understand your logic. I just believe you and srmjr are using different quantifiers for your assessment. 

That still doesn't make sense as Daniels was not the teams best 3pt shooter. 

chipc3    0
5 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

That still doesn't make sense as Daniels was not the teams best 3pt shooter. 

I wasn't defending his position. Daniels is definitely not the best Grizzlies shooter of all time. Mike Miller and Damien Stoudamire immediately come to mind as being superior. 

It would be interesting to see statistically who is is/was the best shooter in franchise history. 

22 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

Excellent points.  I often forget how good of shooters those two are.    Ennis, Parsons, and McLemore should be able to pickup any void left by Daniels when it comes to shooting.    The way the team is shaping up Daniels would never see the floor anyway. 

chipc3    0
1 minute ago, GrizzTigerFan said:

Excellent points.  I often forget how good of shooters those two are.    Ennis, Parsons, and McLemore should be able to pickup any void left by Daniels when it comes to shooting.    The way the team is shaping up Daniels would never see the floor anyway. 

Ennis, Parsons and McLemore doesn't install confidence in many people right now but I hope that changes during the season. Either way, I'd rather trade Daniels and someone else for a usable asset than to cut someone for nothing. 

Father Pat    0
Just now, chipc3 said:

I wasn't defending his position. Daniels is definitely not the best Grizzlies shooter of all time. Mike Miller and Damien Stoudamire immediately come to mind as being superior. 

I didn't mean to imply that you were defending the position. I just don't understand that someone would qualify a player as the teams best shooter based solely on 3 pt %, especially when that player isn't even best on the team for that qualifier. 

A term that used to get thrown around a lot years ago that you don't hear anymore is "pure shooter". So and so is a pure shooter, meaning that if a player was left open while away from the hoop, he could often hit his shot. I could see Daniels being called a pure shooter.

chipc3    0
11 minutes ago, Father Pat said:

I didn't mean to imply that you were defending the position. I just don't understand that someone would qualify a player as the teams best shooter based solely on 3 pt %, especially when that player isn't even best on the team for that qualifier. 

A term that used to get thrown around a lot years ago that you don't hear anymore is "pure shooter". So and so is a pure shooter, meaning that if a player was left open while away from the hoop, he could often hit his shot. I could see Daniels being called a pure shooter.

"Pure" as in not conflicted with any other part of the game (rebounding, defense, passing). :lol:

Father Pat    0

Adrian WojnarowskiVerified account @wojespn 14m14 minutes ago 

Free agent Pau Gasol has agreed on a three-year deal to return to the San Antonio Spurs, league sources tell ESPN.