Grizzled Vet

Grizzlies opponents - 2017 Free agents and trades

Post other teams deals here.  Grizzlies related as about half of these impact the Western Conference, and some the Southwest Division.

All are future opponents.

Woj Bomb this morning and mentioned in the 2017 Free Agent thread...

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified  @WojVerticalNBA  
After Chris Paul agreed to opt-in on contract, Clippers are trading  All-Star guard to the Houston Rockets, league sources tell @TheVertical

Sources: After Paul informed Clippers he'd sign w/ HOU in FA, teams agreed to deal sending Beverley, Decker, Williams and 2018 FRP for Paul.

I don't know if that is Troy or Lou Williams

Father Pat    0

After Harden's 2 consecutive years of breaking the single season turnover record, Houston finally decided to get a quality ball handler. Too bad they had to get one of the best. For our sake, I hope they don't add anyone else.

I wonder if this will increase Harden's motivation to defend, or if CP3 knows how valuable a PG is in a D'Antoni system?

"Chris Paul, where do you think you should go to finally get over that playoff hump?" 

"I think I'll join Mike D'Antoni"

I think the Rockets overtake the Spurs now (regular season).

Clippers fall out of playoffs. Donald Sterling counts his money.

DTW    0

Should the Grizz just give up now? This off season is really making me sad.

chipc3    0

Super Teams and Lotto Teams - The NBA is sort of Fan-tastic!

well this kills my Pat Beverly trade fantasies.  Maybe LAC will think Lou Williams and Jamal Crawford are redundant and be willing to trade Lou for BWright. 

GF#1    0
6 minutes ago, Grizzled Vet said:

And he is getting crushed in the responses, but I thought it was mildly funny.

The responses are absolutely hilarious, yet they make me sad all at once. <_<

DTW    0

Yeah that 7 PPG fixed to 7 MPG made me laugh and then cry seeing the 90 mil guaranteed. UGH!

JWill4L    0

Next season East All-Stars could be the worst ever.

Imagine if George, Millsap and Lowry come to the West lol

chipc3    0
42 minutes ago, JWill4L said:

Next season East All-Stars could be the worst ever.

Imagine if George, Millsap and Lowry come to the West lol

Mike Conley would never be an all-star then and Memphis fans would go ballistic about letting Lowry go. 

So essentially in theory we will see two super teams in the west. But.. are we really that afraid of the rockets unless they manage to get George? 

GSW is a different beast but they are likely to loose some key reserves and hey injuries do happen... not saying anyone should plan for it but by no means are they a lock to win the title outside just on paper 

GF#1    0
7 minutes ago, VikingWarrior said:

So essentially in theory we will see two super teams in the west. But.. are we really that afraid of the rockets unless they manage to get George? 

GSW is a different beast but they are likely to loose some key reserves and hey injuries do happen... not saying anyone should plan for it but by no means are they a lock to win the title outside just on paper 

Only problem is that the Warriors are the only team in the NBA that could lose their best player to injury, and still be at least a top 2 favorite to win it all.

Thomas    0

Some people laughed at me when I said I wanted a Morey-style GM. 

I guess they'd rather have a Chris Wallace type who gets heartburn just thinking about the creative maneuvering Morey had to do to get CP3.

Dark-Child    0

Well at least we have evidence of one team attempting to trying to win now, in the face of the Warrior Machine.  2nd round quality picks are nice but innovation and the attitude of daring to compete in the face of great odds demands RESPECT. 

Dwash    0
1 hour ago, Dark-Child said:

Well at least we have evidence of one team attempting to trying to win now, in the face of the Warrior Machine.  2nd round quality picks are nice but innovation and the attitude of daring to compete in the face of great odds demands RESPECT. 

You either go big or you fold right now

TimBC    0

Let's just see how much gas Chris Paul has left in the tank, and how long he can avoid injury. 
Unfortunately, I fear he does have at least one good year left. 

2 hours ago, TimBC said:

Let's just see how much gas Chris Paul has left in the tank, and how long he can avoid injury. 
Unfortunately, I fear he does have at least one good year left. 

Exactly

And giving up Lou Williams and other bench players.

Its risky, the bench is not as deep, and if the injury bug strikes....

I don't agree yet this puts them over Spurs, they havent played their hand yet

I think that right now, they are better than the Spurs, but right now, the Spurs have yet to take action, and don't really have a point guard that is healthy.  That changes if they sign George Hill and/or re-sign Patty Mills, and Parker gets healthy.  Plus, they probably land a solid FA.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

I think that right now, they are better than the Spurs, but right now, the Spurs have yet to take action, and don't really have a point guard that is healthy.  That changes if they sign George Hill and/or re-sign Patty Mills, and Parker gets healthy.  Plus, they probably land a solid FA.

Has Ginobili called it quits?

If so, and they can move Pau that creates a fair bit of capspace, resign Simmons, weigh up options for PG, get a starting C that is cheaper than Pau and they are very much still in the hunt

cdp    0

This was almost like a sign-and-trade cuz Paul told the Clips he was gonna sign with the Rockets so they went ahead n helped Houston make the cap room while gettin pieces back. Works out pretty good for both teams if I must say.

What's crazy is it took the Rockets six(!) trades to get it done. Must be some kind of a record.

Edited by cdp

1 hour ago, Grizzled Vet said:

George Hill has San Antonio written all over him. Great fit for both.

Any chance of the Grizz bringing Pau home if ZBo doesn't return?